September 16, 2014 | 1990 users online

Eye Shadow - Fyrinnae - Loose Powder in Fire Opal

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Greyish coppery brown, i SUPPOSE. Hard to pin down. Sounds complicated, yet it's so well-blended that it's more subtle than stark. It makes my brown eyes look so pretty.
I used it with lots of eyeliner and a bit of Te Amo.
Made for a really *smouldering* look, reminiscent of Monica Bellucci.
Except poor Monica, face of boring old Dior, doesn't seem to know about Fyrinnae, so her makeup will never be so special.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2011 11:10:00 PM More reviews by siminims

I love this eyeshadow SO much it's kind of ridiculous. On me, it shows as a bright orange-gold (when applied wet or over Pixie Epoxy) when hit by direct light. It goes to a sort of darkened bronze when in shadow, and if applied dry or without any sort of sticky base, is a multi-tonal grey with flashes of orange. This, at least, is how it showed up on me--black eyelashes, dark brown eyes, light-olive skin tone. I'd definitely recommend this if you're into "autumn" sort of colors--the burnished gold along with the grey kind of screams campfire or autumn leaves changing color--or if you're into one of those shadows you can brush on that look like two or three colors blended together. It really is an easy effortless way to have stunningly beautiful eye makeup :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by jikl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

this does nothing for me - others describe it as a dove grey with bronze/orange/red shimmer, but the sample I bought it is like a really badly pigmented cheap black (ie. blends unevenly, even over a base or primer) with an uninteresting orange toned bronze overlay - it's really like two eyeshadows of different qualities mixed together but not mingling, if that makes sense.
I've tried it multiple times (dry, wet, over black kohl, over cream eyeshadow, over gel eyeliner) and I always end up taking it off and starting again with something else. It's ~okay~ if applied wet, kind of foiled but nothing special. I have other bronze/copper colours from mainstream brands that do this better and without the bad black undertone.
I also thought, with Opal in the name, that the shimmer would be multi-tonal and slightly multi-coloured, but its just a flat metallic orange to me.
Fyrinnae does other shadows miles better than this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 10:57:00 AM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Rave rave rave rave rave! Well in reality I really have to rave about ALL of Fyrinnae's eyeshadows! I love em all. Today I decided to use Fire Opal, hence the review. It is just so gorgeous! The last reviewer posted a pic that shows this shade pretty faithfully, so I won't describe it. Well I will, it's like this burnished gold/bronzy/coppery tone with a dark base. I followed the suggestions of other MUA'ers here and applied it alone over primer. I use Vaseline as a primer, just the teentsiest tiny little dab of Vaseline, almost like nothing, is enough. However using Vaseline makes it difficult to blend these shadows, so I prefer to use them alone. One day I'll master the technique of blending with Vaseline as a primer (it's quite sticky so doesn't blend well), and then for sure I'll make some more exciting looks combining shadows!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2010 9:00:00 PM More reviews by LilSphinx

This is a really pretty burnished gold shade with a black base to it. The finish is so shiny that it's almost metallic, but not quite.
I've only tried this dry and not foiled, so I can't comment on any other applications.

I can't say that this is an incredibly unique shade, but it is really pretty and so far I haven't seen an 'exact' dupe to it.

I was a little disappointed when it showed up because I was expecting more of a color-range to it...maybe some pink shimmer to it along with some green, but on my fair skin it's more of a burnished gold, and I've noticed that while wearing it, if some of the gold rubbed away there was a black base left underneath it.

I got this as a good sized sample from a trade here on MUA, so I can't comment on the price or normal full-size.

Here's a pic. of myself wearing it:
continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2009 3:28:00 AM More reviews by horsefish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm very happy that I bought a full-size of this color; it's appearance is just like that of the picture on Fyrinnae and looks stunning on my blue eyes. Today I just brushed this color across my lids with nothing but a primer, and had a coworker comment on how I must spend a lot of time to get my eyeshadow to look so great; she thought I was wearing multiple shades when it was simply fire opal instead ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2008 1:03:00 AM More reviews by MoiraMoira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Amazing! I can normally not wear reds, purple, or orange toned eyeshadows, but this is different. It's a grey slate brown base with a gorgeous orangey overlay. Makes my dark brown eyes pop. I dab it on lightly over a clear primer (UD PRIMER POTION) and the result is absolutely amazing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2008 6:06:00 PM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a beautiful, and strange, color. Hard to describe really. Like a lot of the Fyrinnae darker colors, it has a dark base and a different colored overlay. This base is a dark brown-grey that ends up looking more grey on me. The previous reviewer is correct, in that most mineral eyeshadows and Fyrinnae's darker ones, in particular, need a base. I used HiP paint in Secretive with this. I first applied Envy Me on the lid and this in the crease/outer V. I have found that I needed to foil it to really make the burnt-metallic orange overlay come out. It does look like embers if you foil it. Very unique-definitely more grey than brown, with this unique burnt-metallic orange overlay, but looks dry, not wet. Very interesting color, but a little hard to work with because of the extremely dark base. Get a good blending brush. I used this today with Envy Me on the lid, this in the half-crease/outer V; and Camelot as a highlight. I used Alima's shimmer liner shadow in Koan on the top lashline and it's a gorgeous color combination. I'll probably want a full size of this, because the color is so unique.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2008 11:27:00 AM More reviews by boadicea23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

What I have learned about Fyrinnae's shadows is that to truly see the complexity of the colors. . you need a base of something. A paint or a fluidline or even apply wet and then apply again over the wet with a dry brush and shadow. This color has been described beautifully in the other reviews. It is amazing and unique and I have to say that I crave this color in other products (like nailpolish)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2008 12:13:00 AM More reviews by karenz

This review isn't about this particular color, but about these eye shadows in general. I really like the blendability and layering ability of loose shadows, and this is the best loose shadow I've ever used.

It is finely milled and goes on great! The colors are wonderful, too. I love the photos of each color, both wet and dry, on an actual person.

My only gripe is the length of order fulfillment - I ordered December 13 and just got my shadows on February 8. I'd rather see them raise their prices slightly and hire more help to ship faster. There are some other colors I want to try, but will wait until turnaround time is decreased.

But, I have to say - these definitely were worth waiting for!