November 22, 2014 | 1969 users online

Sunscreen - Ocean Potion - SPF 30 Broad Spectrum All Natural Sunscreen

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2007 12:39:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I tried this since I'm starting to wear suncreen daily on my arms and chest instead of just from the neck up, so I thought this would be a good place to start (and it's free this month at RiteAid!). This is THICK lotion that smells very herbal. It's full of zinc, so you can imagine how white this turns your skin--and it almost has a purple flash to it in the light. Strangely, it didn't take as long as I thought it would to soak in, given the gluey consistancy, but I was one greasy mess for a little while, and it wasn't the easiest to rub in. However, trading all this for the fact that it's organic and the fact that it worked to protect my skin really well, it's a good trade-off. Still, I find that the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch sunscreens are nicer, and have a much more potent SPF at 55 and 70. I'll use this up, but probably not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2007 8:07:00 PM More reviews by jmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was awful...I mean really awful. It burned my skin and the smell made me sick. The bottle makes it sound perfect, too bad it isn't.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/7/2007 8:57:00 AM More reviews by chinchi

I recently purchased this from Ocean Potion's website as I was interested in trying another physical "natural" sunscreen. Compared to other physical sunscreens (since I think it is like comparing apples and oranges to compare physical to chemical sunscreens) here is what I think:
(1) It did protect my skin equal to others I've tried but with a LOT more of a white cast on the skin. (2) More difficult to spread. (3) The smell bothers me. (4) Collects in creases of skin and makes white lines. (5) I bought it because of the natural labeling, but I can't really tell if it is natural or not. Ocean Potion did not provide the full listing of ingredients on the packaging--just select ones they wished to share. I / we are putting this stuff on our skin. It soaks in. What is in it? I sent an email to Ocean Potion and asked what are the ingredients in the sunscreen. A few days later, I received the following reply:

"Thank you for taking the time to email us and for your interest in our
product.

Because our Organics sunblock is a brand new line for the 2007 season, the
complete ingredient listing is proprietary information. The active
ingredients are Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. I can also say our
Organics is an "All Natural" SPF 30, Hypo-Allergenic and Dermatologist
Recommended. It contains sea botanicals: kelp, brown and green algae and
certified organic cranberry seed oil. Certified Organic Anti Oxidant
Cranberry Seed Oil provides 500 times the strength of Vitamin E and
beta-carotene; also rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids that inhibit
free radical growth.

I am sorry, at this time we are not able to give out all the information you
have requested.

Sincerely,

Customer Care Department"

My thought on this is that if they are not ready to release the ingredients, then they shouldn't be ready to release the product.

Therefore, I give this product one lippie due to both product performance and my experience interacting with customer service. :( And I was so excited about this waiting for it to arrive having read so many good reviews about OP in general.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No