October 1, 2014 | 1246 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Alima - Balancing Primer Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2013 11:56:00 PM More reviews by cocorawr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this as a sample and still have some left. I've used it consistently since getting it and it works fairly well for my skin. I don't notice a stupendous difference, or maybe I don't use enough (I lightly dust it, barely buffing into my skin), but it helps with the humidity where I am. Don't know if I'd get the full size, since a little bit has lasted me a long time, but definitely I'd get another sample size. BTW, their sample sizes are AWESOME!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2012 2:24:00 PM More reviews by digigirltx

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have very oily skin and this primer powder helps keep that under control, as well as reduce redness in my cheeks. A light layer before foundation keeps me looking matte and shine-free all day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 12:41:00 AM More reviews by shaaralee

A dear friend of mine suggested the Alima range to me, hailing it as one of the best mineral ranges she has tried. I have to admit, it did not disappoint. This primer kind of stunned me. It is very fine like a delicate veil over your skin, but the results speak for themselves. I work in a timber yard (mostly doing accounts but often running around outside in the elements) and using this primer powder in conjunction with the foundation and finishing powder - it just amazes me. I have combination skin which at times gets very oily in the t-zone. This puts the oil at bay without making my skin breakout. Very impressed and have bought again many times.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2012 3:59:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was interested in mineral makeup, so I ordered a bunch of samples from Alima. Alas, I found that the eyeliners, eyeshadows, and blushes had absolutely no staying power. I also ordered a sample of the Balancing Primer Powder to use as an oil control powder (in place of my usual MAC Blot). The Balancing Primer Powder is definitely the best of the Alima products I tried. It works as well as MAC Blot at giving my face a matte, finished look over my concealer (I don't use foundation). And the light blends invisibly onto my pale skin. However, the Alima powder is any better, and I prefer MAC Blot because, as a pressed powder, it's less messy.
Ingredients: Kaolin, Mica, Zinc Oxide. May contain: Iron Oxides. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 6:42:00 PM More reviews by bernb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Alima Pure Balancing Primer Powder is, in my opinion, necessary for anyone who uses Alima Pure Satin Matte Foundation and has any signs of oiliness.
I never apply my Alima foundation without first applying this.
First and foremost, this primer powder keeps oiliness at bay for hours. On my greasy T zone, it keeps my makeup in check for at least four to five hours before I have to blot, and even then I sometimes only have to blot my chin and between my eyebrows a little.
Second, it acts as a kind of ‘interface’ between my Alima foundation and my sunscreen. I gently pat on this primer powder with a flocked sponge puff after I have given my sunscreen some time to ‘set’. I gently press it all over my face, so as not to disrupt my sunscreen. I then very gently use a kabuki to dust it off and blend it a little.
It applies seamlessly – despite being a powder product, it doesn’t gather anywhere on the face, there is no caking, and no real blending is needed other than to dust off any excess. You can simply pat it on, lightly dust it, and continue on with applying your makeup.
This year, I have really put Alima Pure products to the test (specifically Satin Matte Foundation, Balancing Primer Powder, and Satin Finishing Powder). I spent some time in a workshop environment, where I was often sweating and wiping my face (albeit as carefully as I could). Alima held up exceptionally well under these circumstances.
I am extremely happy with this product, and will continue to purchase.
EDIT: My skintone - equivalent to MAC N/NC-10/15 (neutral warm, pale, with surface redness). I use Alima Pure Balancing Primer Powder in Light.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

MY SKIN: Oily with a random dry patch around the corners of my nose.

APPLICATION: I use it over my Eucerin EveryDay Protection SPF 30 Moisturizer. I wait about 15 min. for the moisturizer to set, then apply the primer with a soft, fluffy powder brush.

RESULT: I see a very, very slight difference in my foundation (I also use Alima's Satin Matte foundation) with this. It's probably only noticeable to me. It looks just slightly more even and polished, but again, the foundation itself is already great at making this result that it's not really all that noticeable. Honestly, for the price (now $17...Alima has upped their prices unfortunately), I'd say go for the finishing powder if you want that "airbrush" look and better oil control. As for oil control, I would say this kept me shine-free for about 1 hour more, which isn't enough to get me to buy a full size (I only ever used up a sample). If you're on the drier side, this will probably work out better for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2010 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Pimpinett

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Excellent mineral primer, keeps my Alima foundation reasonably matte for three to four hours, and in place looking good for up to fifteen hours. I would say this is essential to get the most mileage out of Alima's foundation if you have oily skin.

The Light is very light, as several people have stated, but I find that it works well for my NC20-ish skin, although I could probably just as well wear Medium. Will repurchase along with the foundation.

I have acne-prone and previously irritated combination skin with an oily t-zone, for reference, and this doesn't bother my skin at all. I have worn this daily for three weeks now.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2010 7:42:00 PM More reviews by CathySinMN

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This primer worked great at keeping the oil down and my face looking great all day. Not too dry, not too oily. I just ordered two full size jars in light. I am making the large sample they sent me last until they arrive this week.

June 2011 UPDATE: I have continued to re-order this product. It is Great!! Does awesome in humid hot weather! I always have it on hand!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Beaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Currently, I'm using Everyday Minerals concealer for any redness caused by my rosacea. Since I was ordering sample of the Satin Matte foundation, I included samples of the Light and Medium Balancing Primer. I like the primer but I have a problem with the colors. Even the medium seems too light. I have a tan (don't flame me...it's the best thing for my rosacea and psoriasis) but it's not that dark. Other than that, the primer provides full coverage. I'm not overly oily but I do get shiny in the humid Indiana summers. It does keep the oilies at bay but sweat is a different story. Since EM isn't my favorite choice (see my reviews), this would be excellent replacement.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2008 4:40:00 PM More reviews by pocky

I've tried a lot of primers over the last 5 years and I've decided that powder primers work best for me. Alima's is by far my favorite and I've gone through three jars already. For me, the primer makes my mineral foundation last a little longer and look flawless. Oil control seems to be okay if that's a concern of yours although it doesn't dry out my skin either. I only have a little oil around my t-zone and for that I use MAC Blot powder on top of my foundation. I was using Pure Luxe's Eraser powder for a while and Alima's is noticeably more silky and finer while Pure Luxe is a little on the gritty side. I've tried wearing my foundation without the primer and although the difference is probably only noticeable to me, I prefer the more polished look and longer staying power with the primer. Color selection is limited to 3 shades but honestly the primer goes on so sheer that one of the 3 shades should work for you.