Banana Boat Sunless Summer Color Tinted Lotion Light/Medium

3.6

on 4/13/2015 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is the best self tanner for really fair skin. Like naturally fair, doesn't see prolonged sunlight to get a tan ever and probably wouldn't even be able to tan if it did skin like mine. Most are way too dark and even when people say certain products don't turn out orange, like St Tropez, which I've been there, done that and my wallet shed a tear over it because without a doubt the result is orange. My skin is just too light and the strong pigments in most are for people that have at least some color.

Until this product I have never found one that actually looked natural. On the flip side if you do have some color, this would probably be too light for you. For me though, I'm really glad I found it. In one use you get a very light, faint glow. In 2-3 uses, a still lighter but noticeable and natural tint. If you keep going from there I'm sure you could get the "tan" as deep as you want but I'm usually good after a few uses.

The consistency is more like a gel and even though you can see it as you apply it, streaking and obvious missed spots do happen easily and aren't that easy to fix. It's crucial to mix it with a body lotion, in which case it comes out even every time. I use it sparingly around my elbows and knees, and am really careful around my wrists and hands. As long as you use lotion with it though, it's pretty fool proof.

The Jergens lotion is pretty good too for color, but I feel like it takes way longer to develop and it smells way worse. This color develops quickly and it does have "that" self tanner smell after a few hours but it's not nearly as strong as Jergens, and it is better price as well. I hope Banana Boat won't discontinue it!

on 3/29/2014 5:11:00 PM

I am very pale with olive/ yellow undertones. I am half Puerto-Rican and half Scotch/ Irish and somehow got the Hispanic features of my mother's side and the pale complexion of my dad's side that comes off as sickly on me. Without makeup I am always asked If I'm sick and in the summer, I look unhealthy and burn easily so I was looking for something to give me a healthy look.
After trying the Loreal sublime bronze airbush self tanner off and on for a year, I realized it was way too much effort to make it work. It didn't tan well and the places that it stuck to would get splotchy and orange. Did some research to find the best drugstore self tanner and this one was highly recommended.
Bought this yesterday and put it on before bed, woke up with a really nice tan- natural color, not streaky or splotchy. I did put it on the back of my hands but didn't blend enough around the edges of my fingers so there are streaks there- next time I'll use a cotton ball to help blend it out. I would definitely recommend exfoliating (nothing harsh- a loofah will do fine) and shaving in the shower before applying. I used latex gloves so the tanner wouldn't turn my hands orange and rubbed it in REALLY well everywhere I applied it to minimize streaking. For my face and my hands, I mixed the tanner with moisturizer to get a lighter application and it worked great.
Since I applied it right before bed, I put a towel on my bed which the tanner did rub off onto a bit. Next time I'll apply the tanner a couple of hours earlier.
Overall- with proper application, a great self tanner with natural color the doesn't streak and splotch! Will definitely keep using and repurchase.

on 9/9/2013 11:17:00 PM

This self tanner is pretty good... considering the price. I bought it for around $10 online.

The color it gave me was nice-- not too dark. Although next time I'd probably buy the Deep Dark Color version as it was a little light for my taste.

Applying this product was easy and the smell wasn't too bad.

I would have rated this product higher if the tan it provided lasted a little longer and the color was a little "smoother".

But overall I liked using this self tanner (especially around the feet when I use another, darker product for the rest of my body).

on 8/21/2013 5:53:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Overall I would say this is a pretty good product for the price!

I am lighter skin-toned, even though with all my genetics I should be tan ha, but none the less I am fair. I would say this lotion works pretty good! I heard it was, so I tried it for myself as a lotion after I shower, and what I like most about it is that it looks very natural and even.

I never get patchy or streaky with this lotion which is a big plus. And for me its easy to apply as a lotion because I do have drier skin so after the shower I automatically want to lotion anyways.

The cons I would say is the smell; it has a very strange scent to it that lingers for a few hours that I do not care for. Its not necessarily the smell of self-tanner but just an odd smell, and I guess if smell doesn't bother you that's not a big deal, I just have a more sensitive sniffer!

The other con would be that this does not make you super dark if you are looking to get that. I was for some things so I have a foam and spray for that, then just even things out with this lotion. Or if I just want some nice color to my skin I'll use this.

on 8/11/2013 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is still one of my favorite self tanners! The color may not be perfect, but it's very good considering how much it costs.

The smell is light and refreshing and it dries quickly.

The color isn't super dark or anything, but it gives off a nice glow.

I generally prefer more expensive, department-store tanners, but this one works great in a pinch!

on 7/31/2013 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

My skin is very fair, I'm generally the lightest or second lightest shade in any kind of makeup. With light skin you run the risk of looking dirty if your self tanner is too dark, so I opted for the "Light/Medium" color over the "Deep/Dark" one. It is VERY light! Maybe almost too light, because with 2 applications on my legs it is still hardly noticeable. That's why I gave it 3 stars, I would prefer it to be slightly darker. However, I am looking for something that gives me a "glow" rather than a tan, so I am not too disappointed with the color. The smell is fine and not overwhelming like a lot of other self tanners are. It dissipates in a few hours so you probably could get away with going out in public without showering after applying this. I have not had an issue with streaking or blotchy fading. I applied it last weekend (so it's been ~4 days) and the color is still there. Overall I'd recommend it, but only for people with very light skin. If you buy this expecting to look like you just got back from the Bahamas or something you'll be very disappointed.

on 7/10/2013 5:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I really like this self tanner. I am extremely fair with pink undertones, and I wanted to get a tan to look more toned in a bathing suit. This tanner develops quickly, doesn't streak, and the smell is bearable. However, it does fade fairly quickly, though not in patches. It also has a tendency to get a little orange around my ankles, but other than that it gives an even brown color. The price is pretty good, and I will be repurchasing this product.

on 5/23/2013 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This self-tanner is pretty good, but definitely not the best. I am very pasty white since my legs never see sunlight because I burn so easy. I apply two layers of the lotion onto my legs and it does turn them a nice light brown. The only problem I have is that my feet always look orange! I tried completely lathering them and also tried only lightly brushing them with the tanner but either way.. I end up with orange feet and it is a little embarrassing. Overall, it is okay though, because the rest of my legs do not turn orange at all.

on 5/23/2013 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I saw this self tanning lotion in two shades at walmart light/medium and deep dark and while both claim to be suitable for all skin tones, deep dark made me a little nervous because I'm a very fair skinned natural red head and the darkest self tanner shades sometimes make me look orange or just too dark, which looks off. So I played it safe and went with the light medium shade lotion.

As I began to apply this after exfoliating and shaving in the shower and after I was completely dry, I noticed that the color in the bottle is very dark. That's just the color guide so you can see where you are applying. This washes off and the actual color that develops under that is nowhere near that dark which is why some people may feel like all of the color washed right off in the shower the next day. I felt like this had a nice tropical, tanning oil smell while applying but this quickly turned into an unpleasant, chemical smell. It wasn't the typical self tanner smell, but still unpleasant. I showered in the morning so not a huge deal.

I'm really not happy with how many applications it takes to get any real noticeable color difference. It takes forever to dry so I end up applying this over about 3 or 4 days then I shave and that takes a lot of the color off of my legs. So you spend a lot of time applying this and waiting for it to dry and it fades fast and splotchy. I use a gradual self tanning lotion daily as my body lotion and that helps with the patchy fade. The bottle is small so it goes fast with so many applications. This also caused a few breakouts on my face and I'm not acne prone. This is very hydrating for your body so that might explain why my face reacted the way it did. I'll use the rest of the bottle, but won't repurchase. I just ordered a new self tanner online so we'll see how that goes. If I'm not crazy about this new brand, I'll try the deep dark shade of banana boat summer color and see if I can get good color with fewer applications with that.

on 8/9/2012 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wanted to like this a lot, but I just couldn't. I followed the directions, applying to freshly exfoliated shaved skin, and rubbed in a circular motion. It didn't show up on my legs at all except around my knees and ankles. I also noticed huge blotches, and a funny smell. I wasn't impressed.

Top Rated Banana Boat Products