October 22, 2014 | 1847 users online

Liquid - Stila - Illuminating Liquid Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:50:00 AM More reviews by addkg777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

for a foundation with mineral oil as an ingredient id normally hate this but i cant help but keep a bottle in my stash. probably for nostalgic reasons but anywho, it is a beautiful foundation. it definitley illuminates and i find the packaging to be darling. i only where this on special occasions because i dont like illuminating makeup on my face in my normal makeup routine and.... it breaks me out in deep, cystic bumps.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2014 8:38:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

Cannot believe I have not reviewed this yet. Okay, here goes. I have these in shade 40 watts, which is absolutely perfect. It has a truly neutral undertone – neither pink, peach nor yellow. Unfortunately the positives end there. First of all, this foundation is so sheer it does not cover anything at all! It should be called tinted moisturiser, not foundation. This is okay if your skin is nearly perfect for you only have some diffuse redness, but I have discolouration and acne scars that need more coverage. The second disadvantage is that the "illuminating" ingredient in this foundation is simply very fine glitter, which can be obvious in certain light. I have solved that by applying powder over the foundation, but forget about trying to build up the coverage - the more product, the more obvious the glitter becomes.

In summary, would I buy this again or not? Not as it is. I would however if they reformulated the product to add a tad more pigment. I have looked for a similar shade in other ranges and I have not found any that is so genuinely neutral – warm shades tend towards the peachy-orangey end of the spectrum whereas cool ones are too pink. In the end I have found a colour that suits me in NARS (sheer glow in Ceylan), but this is still possibly the best match ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Chrimson13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Love this foundation ! After trying many in the search of just the right foundation this is the one ..it is officially my holy grail of foundations.It has everything i am looking for it is light,sheer,illuminating yet has enough coverage and does not look heavey or cakey in the slightest.And wears well all day and does not settle in to the lines and i really love the selection of shades i chose 20watt and it matches perfectly..the only spot that it lost a point is the price which is on the high side but given that it does everything a foundation should do i can over look the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2014 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Izzy760

Not too sure what to make of this foundation. Tried it a couple of times and the first time the coverage looked slightly greasy by itself but Rimmel's trusty Stay Matte Powder gave it a nice finish. The second time I mixed it with my Max Factor Facefinity 3 in 1 and the coverage was gorgeous when set with my Rimmel powder once again. This had a very pretty natural finish.
Bought this product in 10watts, perfect for my fair skin. Doesn't stay on all day if being worn on its own. This product feels light on the skin as well :)
Would recommend this to a friend/family.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 9:44:00 PM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am surprised this didn't get higher marks! I love it and have waited a long time to buy it. I got color matched for it at Sephora Dallas Galleria. She said I was 40 Watts. Noooo. I tried the 30 Watts on it matched. I am conservative about sun so I don't need heavy coverage. I enjoy having a pump and a glass bottle. I think it looks nice too it's frosted glass with a black top.
We don't have Sephora unless I drive to JCP one it's 1 1/2 hour away so I am always thrilled when something as especially tricky as foundation works, since I do my Sephora shopping online.
I *was* surprised it had no SPF coverage. Most foundations today do. Using a primer with SPF takes care of that.
My mother swears by her Estee Lauder Double Wear and I've thought about going that direction but so far I think this is a good fit for me. Oh they also carry it at Ulta so you can try it on there.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 4:59:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Definitely not the worst for lines/pores. Does give a pretty luminosity without looking greasy (on my dry skin, anyway). Price isn't the worst. Sort of a dewy finish because of the "illumination," but if you touch it, it's not truly dewy.

CONS: It still gave my wrinkles too much trouble for me to purchase. (see alternates)

APPLICATION TIPS: I like to first use L'oreal magic perfecting primer patted into pores to disguise my pores and make the foundation last longer. I let it sit for a minute, and I then use my spf/moisturizer and then apply foundation

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser...

ALTERNATES: D/S - L'oreal Visible Lift Serum Absolute Advanced Age-Reversing Makeup is pretty good but not quite as nice for wrinkles as this and doesn't provide any illumination. For H/E and dewy, I absolutely adore MAC's tinted moisturizer, which is the best thing for not making my wrinkles look worse, out of 35 foundations I've tried.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by elleerie

I bought this liquid foundation because I have difficulty finding neutral toned foundations. While the foundation is a good match for my skin tone, it is very very sheer. It will help even out any redness that you have, but it will in no way cover up blemishes - if you need to cover something up, you will have to buy a concealer. The formula is not buildable at all. This luminous foundation also comes out very very shiny and oily. It might be a very good formula for someone with dry skin but it wasn't right for my skin type.
It has an interesting smell, it smells a little medical to me? It's not overpowering but it is noticeable.
Finally, I stopped using this foundation because the silver on the pump tube started flaking off, and every time I would attempt to put foundation on my face, I would end up with tiny silver pieces all over my face.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm sad. This was on sale $3.85 at Apothica and I jumped on it. Jumped too fast it seems. I really should have researched the ingredients list first. Water is the first ingredient, mineral oil the second. My skin cannot tolerate mineral oil, but that's just one aspect of this foundation that is a negative for me.

Okay. The shimmer is over the top. I know it's called illuminating, however there is a ton of shimmer in this product. I'm middle aged and need a glow, however this appeared too shiny - as if I'd applied a light layer of oil. The shimmer really seems to be more intense than the pigment which is not a good thing for me.

I do like the packaging a lot. It's sanitary, it measures the amount for you and the bottle is beautifully shaped and designed. I work in packaging so I appreciate what goes into this. The stem is curved so you can get more product out of the bottle. The screw off top is handy for checking how much is left.

I'm so sad this did not work out. It is perfect for the NC40 skintone, but only if you are not sensitive to mineral oils and need minimal coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/20/2012 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Czarcasm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I went to sephora, told the SA I wanted: something with decent coverage, long lasting, won't break me out and will give me a healthy glow. This is what she recommended, she applied it to my skin, and it looked nice initially so I bought it.

Fast forward to a year later. I have the same bottle I bought with less then a 1/4 gone. I wanted to like this. But I have some problems with it.

negatives :
-its soooo sheer (I find I get very little coverage)
-It can look greasy (especially if you want some kind of coverage with this)
-It breaks me out a bit
-Lack of lasting power (primers break me out, I need something that can stand on its own)

Positives:
- Glass bottle w/ pump makes it very sanitary.

** I recently experimented mixing this foundation with my very flat medium coverage, Revlon Colorstay foundation.I take a pump of stila and quater size of CS and mixed together well. Results its looks pretty decent. It gives a nice glow to my very flat very pale CS. I have decent coverage, I don't look greasy or glittery.The staying power again leaves a lot to be desired and this doesn't stand up against heat, but its ok.And this is pretty much the only way I can wear this.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by hancid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This foundation will only do you favours if you already have decent skin. It only works with normal and dry skin so if you have oily or combination skin don't even bother because it wont even adhere to your skin. It does not diffuse or cover flaws effectively. It has the worst lasting power of any foundation I have ever used, and I have used many many many different foundations in my life. I was lucky to get even 3 hours of wear out if this foundation before it would oxidize, darken, get oily and melt...which is horrible considering my skin is quite dry already. It does illuminate the skin very beautifully, looks wonderfully dewy and fresh, but after 3 hours you will wonder what the hell happened to your face after you see that your skin is now 2 shades darker and incredibly oily and all your flaws are magnified, it also makes everything you placed on top of it melt off as well (blush, eyeshadow, contours, concealer and highlights). I've tried using different powders to stop it from melting but nothing seemed to work for me, I just wish I hadn't lost the receipt so I could return it. I give it a 2 because it does look nice for a few hours before it turns you into a greasy troll. Packaging sucks too because it's glass so don't drop it!