Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

I know, we have already established that this product is awesome but I just had to add my review. I LOVE this stuff. I have dyed and fried my hair repeatedly for years (many, MANY chemical cuts) and I can't believe that I didn't know how great this was. I recently stripped out my black hair and went to a medium brown, leaving the front of my hair gummy and dull. I was looking up treatments online and had to try this after reading the reviews.

I had tried re-constructors and protein treatments years ago and got the same straw-like feeling that others have described. Even the Redkin protein treatment left me with rough, dry hair. However, Aphogee left me with healthy feeling, silkier hair even before I used the deep conditioner.

To start, I used my L'Oreal Professoinnel Intense Repair shampoo. I then towel dried and applied the product per the directions (do this over the tub so you don't drip all over the floor). It does sting your hands a bit so gloves wouldn't be a bad idea but they aren't required. Yes, it has a smell but its not terrible. Perms smell worse.

For me, it took FOREVER to dry even with a hand dryer. I sat there drying for about 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any longer. I spent another hour sitting with it without the dryer, then another 15 minutes drying at the end. Even with all of that, the back still wasn't completely dry but since I have short hair back there and it was barely damaged in the back, I figured it was good enough. The crunchy, hard shell rinses out pretty easy. I then sat with the Aphogee conditioner on for about 15 minutes. Again, the conditioner has a strong scent but it's not nearly as bad as some reviewers have described. I kind of enjoyed it. For what the product does, the odor of the treatment and conditioner is a small price to pay.

Results: Is my hair perfect? No. With the damage that my hair had, nothing could ever possibly exist to make it perfect. That said, my hair is WAY better than it was. The severe crunch is gone, it's no longer gummy when wet, and it is way less prone to breakage. I'm still a little frazzled at the very ends and I'm over all still a little frizzy but I'm definitely not complaining. I will definitely be doing this again in 6 weeks.

NOTE: I did this just 2 days after depositing color in my hair and it did make my ashy brown warmer. I knew this was a risk from my cosmetology days (protein tends to push color out of the cuticle) but considering the level of damage I had, I went for it anyway. It's nothing that can't be toned out when my hair is in a little better shape.

on 7/13/2015 12:20:00 PM

Ohhhh myyyy good this stuff is bloody incredible! !! If ur hair is like chewing gum or breaking ur ready to chop it all off and start again stop what ur doin! ! Use this my hair was like mush after bleaching the crap out of it seriously so happy my hair feels lush after the first application so cheap and I spent so much money on conditioning treatments this stuff is legendary!!!! Used on Caucasian hair followed instructions didnt need the conditioner either just used standard conditoner with it cant say thank u enough to the ppl who invented this wonder potion!!!!

on 6/26/2015 4:15:00 PM

HOLY SMACK! I'm so glad this product exists!

Background
So I just recently joined the grey hair trend. I originally have black hair and have attempted to lighten it professionally over the span of 2 months (not much time, I know )
The first session involved a bleaching, bleach bath, spot bleaching and two toning/ dye jobs.)
My hair was so damaged that I partially lost my curl in place of frizz and there was always that horrifying feeling of it looking and feeling like straw. Even worse was it took hours to dry. It took some serious TLC to get it back into somewhat decent shape. Even with cowashing and deep conditioners and hair masks the frizz was out of control. It didn't matter what I used.

Fast forward to 6 weeks later.
- In the span of 5 days I had two bleachings and two tonings done.
My hair is absolutely trashed - It however did not turn gummy .

My hair is so damaged and frizzy AND I dare not use heat on it - hence my hair has been relegated to pony tails or messy buns, essentially my hairstyles suck! What was the point of getting my hair done if I was only going to wear it tied up.

I found this product after searching online - then I came here to read the reviews.
I know some people had problems with it but I also know that my hair is severally lacking in protein and could do with a protein and deep conditioning treatment, so it worked wonders for me.
I could feel the change while I was rinsing it out in the shower. WOW! My hair felt smooth and soft - not tangled and straw-like.

I am so impressed with this product.
As for the smell - meh I have definitely smelled stinkier things in my travels. I was preparing myself for the worst but this was fine.

Like I said, i'm so happy this stuff exists!

on 6/18/2015 3:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I finally had to give in and buy Aphogee because I was spending lots on money on masks, oils, treatments, leave-ins etc etc plus all those trips to Sally's trying to find a solution for my beat up hair were wearing me out. I was really afraid to try this because people make it sound something out of a scary movie, I read tons on reviews and followed the instructions to a T, in my experience the smell was pretty offensive and the product was really runny, in the advise of another Muaer I put step 1 in a spray bottle (which towards the end the liquid foamed up inside the spray bottle and became super sticky, very hard to apply) and used a trash bag as a shirt. Left it on for one hour and blasted on a off with my blow drier, the most damaged parts (bangs, tips of hair on the back) took the longest to dry, I jumped in the shower and let the warm water wash the product out for 3-5 minutes until the hair softened up, put step #2, massaged and let it sit for about 5 minutes, rinsed and used Aussie 3 minute miracle but I found out that just the Aphogee conditioner would have been enough. In the shower I saw that my hair still looked and felt mushy and stringy but it dried out soft and shiny and it wasn't sticking to my arms/skin, today it looks healthy, a lot less frizzy, feels a little stronger and I got my wavy hair back (I airdried it) is not a total fix, I would say that it improved the look of my hair about 80%, it doesn't look fried anymore but I still don't feel confident to wear it down or heat style it, which I really miss seeing my hair made up, for hair damaged from bleach and toners like mine the only solution is a haircut, which I don't want, will do a second treatment in 6 weeks, maybe buy the 2 minute Aphogee for in-between weeks, someone mentioned that it took her hair four treatments to have her damaged bleached hair back to normal, so I have a very long journey of about six months ahead, will continue updating.
Update: One week later and hair still spongy in the shower but is not stretchy, dries out faster and got more waves, it's a little on the dry side as I anticipated, will continue with moisture treatments. Three weeks later and my hair feels like a need a treatment already but I don't have zig zaggy, crunchy, funky ends and I was able to keep my length, I don't even need a trim yet, I blew dried my hair but I still don't think my hair is ready for that, still takes a long time to dry and has that weird texture that bleached hair has after the shower, from root to shoulders looks repaired, the ends still look sad.
UPDATE: 6 weeks later and did my second treatment, this time I bought it directly from Sally's and it had no horrible smell at all, will never ever buy it from Ebay ever again, that stuff was rancid and probably expired, application this time was much easier, the product wasn't so sticky and I was able to apply it a lot easier, added water to my spray bottle and the product worked out a lot better, blew dried my hair and to my surprise it got crunchy and dry in 25-30 minutes (last application even after one hour my hair was still damp) air dried outside the rest of the time because it was 100F, ended leaving it on for one hour and a half, after I washed out the product I could see that my hair strands didn't have that weird S texture and that the strands were not attaching to each other, a true miracle considering that I have been battling with that since February, used their conditioner with a little bit of Blonde Brilliance warm toned conditioner and it made my hair soft like silk, after the shower my hair looked brand new, no more zig zaggy pattern, my hair wasn't sticking to my arms/skin anymore, air dried in only a couple of hours, don't see a wave pattern this time but my hair looks like it had never touched bleach, I feel like I can heat style my hair again! This could be my last treatment.
Edit: I had a little set back, I had to dye my hair because this treatment made my blonde the color of yellow pee, I had to put some ash back in it and my hair feels extremely soft, like when you have damage and hair feels slimy and soft when wet, I only left the color for 25 minutes. I stopped using protein masks because at this point my hair has enough protein, I started with moisture masks and my hair has a ton of wave and volume again.

on 5/24/2015 1:42:00 AM

Absolutely amazed and so thankful for the miracle that aphogee two step protein treatment did for my hair! I was so extremely scared and nervous about using it after reading dome of the bad reviews that people have written about after they used it but after seeing more good reviews then bad and having my first extremely bad experience due to over processing my bleach lightened hair and having huge stringy gummy clumps of hair that had turned to mush from doing 5 lightening treatments in less than a 3 week period come out iny hands whenever I touched or ran my fingers throtmy hair and having now lost half of my hair in a matter of 45 minutes now making my hair jaw length and eventhinner ththan it already was I figured the worse that could happen is it not work and have to be bald right? So after reading how great people said it was in between my huge sobs of crying I went to Sally's beauty store and bought a bottle of the aphogee shampoo and the 2 step protein treatment that was in the small packages due to them being out of the bottles my total cost being $15 I hurried home to start the process immediately! First I used the aphogee clarifying shampoo as directed and dab dried my hair and let completely dry next I applied step1 package of the aphogee protein treatment I didn't think I had my hair saturated enough because I felt Le the package didn't have enough but it obviously did o had seen one of the reviews said just to saturate your hair and pile it on the top of ywhead due TK it hardening and it being fragile enough to snap off and being scared about it decided it would be the easiest method next I took my blow dryer to it I only applied the heat of the blow dryer for about 10 minutes because it felt hardened enough by then but I decided to do as one review had said that she had done and left it in for 4 hours to get what I decided would be most beneficial for my hair after 4 hours I jumped into the shower being terrified about rinsing it completely out without touching it in extreme fear of it snapping off so I just stuck my head under the water in the shower and let the water run over my head for about 20-30 minutes before running my hands through it gently as I was still terrified that I would have clumps come out in my hands again I then applied step 2 balance moisturizer and did as one review said and let it sit in my hair for 1 hour before rinsing out I then dab dryed my hair and then brushed it being very gentle and careful still because I was absolutely terrified of the process not working like I had read happening for some people I then let my hair completely air dry before even attempting to try and run my fingers through it and to my amazement when it dried and I ran my fingers through it there were no clumps in my hands mg hair felt so soft almost to the same feeling as it was before the bleach lightening process I had just done. However my hair is frizzy still so I plan TK go back to Sally's beauty again tomorrow morning and buy the leave in conditioner for my hair and I will also redo the treatment again as directed in 6-8 weeks I am absolutely amazed at the miracle that this performed and extremely thankful for all the reviews that were positive and detailed with the longer time suggestions it worked great and will now always have on hand for future use!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

First things first, my hair is not overly damaged. I only color it 1-2 times per year with a semi-permanent color, and-up until a few months ago- only heat styled occasionally. The reason I got this product is because everyone raved about it and I have been heatstyling quite often lately, so I figured, what the heck?

I am so glad I got this. My hair felt brand new once I rinsed this stuff off! For me, one of the little trial packets was just enough for my mid-back hair BUT I used gloves during the application process so it didn't soak into my hands at all, if gloves aren't available to you then I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the larger size options.

Also, other reviews talked about having a 20-30 minute wait period under the dryer but for me I felt like it didn't take nearly as long! Maybe because my hair wasn't as damaged? I don't know. But I did the treatment as directed but I skipped using the attached conditioner Step 2 conditioner instead I used my Jason's Henna Color Protect conditioner and left it in for a few hours.

After I rinsed my conditioner out, I wrapped my hair in a towel and left it up for about 2-3 minutes, unwrapped the towel so I could put in my after-shower products and WOW my hair was CURLY!! I thought I had lost my curl due to my hair growing so long, but this stuff brought back my curls! So be prepared to have a new texture/curl-pattern after this! A few days later I also straightened my hair and wow! It was smooth and frizz free!

Unfortunately, each wash I loose the "new hair" feeling BUT the treatment is only suppose to last 6 weeks so that was expected!

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This stuff is the sh*t for bleached hair. I bleach over bleached hair (so bad, I know!) and use either a curling iron or flat iron every single day. This stuff keeps my hair looking and feeling healthy. I was buying the packets for awhile, but now I just get full sized. You need to use a good moisturizing conditioner after it (NOT a conditioner that says it is moisturizing but really just full of silicones, like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle). I either pick one up from Sally's (Ion Moisture is good), or use my favorite from Whole Foods (Earth Science Olive & Avocado Hair Masque - such a great, mostly unknown brand)

on 3/30/2015 9:49:00 AM

I bought the moisturizing bottle (purple) at a large beauty store by itself as its available that way......'EH'. Not bad, not good. That's my take.

(Two years of experimenting with bleach/colors/after treatments!)

on 3/29/2015 10:52:00 PM

Like others post, some are using this product incorrectly. With proper use it is a decent product. I went from black and dark red hair to blonde. Wanted a product to prevent breakage and drying, and this does good. It doesnt smell great, but it isnt as awful as others proclaim. It also does take time, since hair needs to be washed and dried 2x.

on 3/25/2015 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

THIS PRODUCT: claims to repair hair by replenishing lost protein due to chemical processes. If you have longer/thicker hair [for reference, my hair is shoulder length, layered so it's not so thick] then you should buy the bottle sizes. I say that plural because you need the Balancing Moisturizer [step 2, if you will]. I opted for the 3.49 packet, perforated in the center, dividing the protein from the moisturizer (heed caution when tearing one from the other). I almost did not have enough for my hair.
OH, and the smell. I mean, people, come on. To me, it smells like syrup mixed with apple cider vinegar. I could honestly give a shit less about stench so long as my hair benefits.

MY HAIR: bleached bathed, bleached, toned, toned, colored at least 4 times AT LEAST in a two week period of time and finally, today, color stripped. i.e. DISGUSTING. you may be wondering why I am typing this review and not locked up in a mental institution :D

THE PROCESS: Right after I did Color Oops (freshly shampooed hair), I towel blotted my hair, cut open the protein and dribble drabbed it across my whole head and lengths, carefully combing through with a wide tooth comb QUICKLY. Then I started to blowdry, careful not to move my head/hair around too much. 30 min later my hair was nice and hard.
Rinsed with warm/hot water and followed up with the moisturizer [left in for 2 min and rinsed with cold water]

MY RESULTS: I would say the breakage is greatly reduced. my hair feels more like hair.but i will also say it's a very involved process and for the amount of effort, of course I wish my hair was like restored completely. Obviously thats not the case. I am happy enough just giving my hair some protein and doing something to help it rather than destroy it.
You can probably find something better/equally good less hassle. But for most this worked extremely well so maybe you'll be among the super lucky!