Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment (formerly Treatment for Damaged Hair)

4.5

Hydrolyzed Collagen, Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Dimethylol Urea, Magnesium Sulfate, Ethylene Urea, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Mauritia Flexuosa Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Phytantriol, Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Glycerin, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Magnesium Carbonate, Diethylene Glycol, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, DMDM Hydantoin, Linalool.

on 3/1/2015 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

My hair has been through hell and back with bleach. Currently, after having dyed my hair a ginger color close to my natural, I'm now bleaching everything to get it light enough to put green over. Any of y'all with curly hair may or may not have been through the horror of having bleached your hair and seeing that it's completely zapped most, if not all, of your natural curl pattern from your locks. Surprise surprise, happened to me for the second time during my lightening quest.

Admittedly, I was skeptical of this system. I'd heard the rave reviews, sure, but still skeptical. Went to Sally's the other day and decided to try it. Picked up the mini bottle of the protein stuff and full-sized conditioner (I mean honestly, one of the packets wasn't going to saturate my hair and at $3.99 per little packet, may as well just get the bottle for a bit more with more product in it.) I figured that even if it didn't work miracles, I could still use it as a protein treatment now and again.

Yada yada, my hair was washed the night before so I didn't bother shampooing it, just wet it in the sink, combed it through. Sectioned my hair off, saturated each bit with it (I didn't get it DRIPPING with product, but enough to get it all covered and good), plunked down on the bathroom floor with my laptop and a blow dryer set on warm and medium power for the next half hour, moving it slowly around my head, feeling it get all cemented and hard.

After it was all dried in and then some, hopped in the shower, let it soften under the water a bit, did the conditioner, and waited to see what results I would get. And, may I just say: holy hell.

My hair feels fantastic. Every little strand that my curl had disappeared from because of the bleach sprung back to life with their coils and curls. Hardly any hair at all coming off in my comb. Even feels a bit thicker? I'm impressed.

The smell of the yellow liquidy protein stuff isn't honestly THAT bad. I see some people describing it as the worst thing they've ever smelled in their life, but really...I've smelled far worse sniffs in my life. Yeah, it's not pleasant, but it's not strong enough or smelly enough to make me gag or anything. I'd rather take in multiple whiffs of this than breathe in the Color Oops smell.

Your hair does get pretty rock-hard, so be careful and don't agitate it. None of my hair snapped off when it got shuffled around, but be careful just in case. It's very runny and liquidy, and spread easily through my hair to get everything covered.

I'm not sure what else to say about this other than that it's amazing. I'm definitely going to be doing this every 6 weeks, and plan to splurge on the big bottle of the protein treatment when I use up the little one. My hair feels healthy, strong, and down to get the friction on (I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I had to).

I'm just really excited about this. I wasn't expecting to get my curl back until my hair grew out, so I'm surprised. I feel like I've just hit the jackpot having this in my hair care arsenal.

This stuff is seriously a miracle cure! I had just bleached my hair twice in less than a week (Not smart, I know) and the ends were feeling like mushy, rubbery noodles.. Just used the protein treatment and balancer together, and my hair feels just like it did before I bleached. Only con in my opinion is the price! Very expensive for a small amount of product, but with results like these it's well worth it to me. :-)

on 1/21/2015 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had bleached my hair to the point where my hair was mushy and gummy, thinking I was going to end up bald, but luckily this saved my hair. At first I was a little hesitant just because my hair texture was just super stretchy and it was breaking off badly. Just aheads up the smell is unbearable and as you dry your hair with this product it will feel like you've used a tub of gel, but when you wash it out you'll notice the difference immediately. My hair was softer, not gummy and as I was blowing out my hair I couldn't believe my hair came back to normal

on 12/22/2014 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have very dark brown hair and DIY bleach to platinum. This means I need to lift twice + tone at least every 6 weeks for roots. Normally I'm not a high maintainance kind of person, but I love the platinum and get random compliments on it wherever I go, so I'm sticking with it for now! Needless to say this process is extremely damaging to my hair and while I get regular trims, my hair can get the gross gooey feeling when wet that indicates overprocessing.

Yes, this product smells like cat pee.

Yes, this product is a pain to apply and sit around and let dry.

However, this product is a vital part of my post-coloring routine. Hair that is previously gooey, slimy, and stretchy shows immediate improvement upon rinsing the product out. When I follow with a deep contitioner, dare I say it, my hair is downright silky. My hair should not be silky considering the amount of stress I put it through, but it is! Even my boyfriend notices a difference in my hair texture.

While I know it is not repairing the damage I do, it temporarily "fills in the gaps" that the bleach causes in my hair matrix. It's not a permanent fix (it's been a month since I last used it and every time I wash my hair I can feel its texture changing) so it needs to be a part of my regular haircoloring routine. Everytime I stop at Sally's to refill my bleaching supplies I pick up a bottle. And shoot, at $8, it definitely isn't breaking the bank.

on 12/22/2014 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

It took months for me to try this due to a few apprehensions:

-Hair type: I have thick, coarse, straight black Asian hair and the majority of reviews are from those with fine hair
-Protein: I've read on the hair board that one of the characteristics of coarse hair is that it has an overabundance of protein and adding extra would result in brittle protein overload. Also, I had a bad experience with using Mane n' Tail shampoo, which has protein in it, and assumed that my hair and all forms of protein would never have a working relationship.

I've been bleaching (ombre/balayage) every 5-6 weeks for the past 8 months. After the last 2 sesssions, my ends have turned to shredded wheat. I figured the only solution was to chop off my ends, but this can be discouraging when you're DIY-ing an ombre job every few weeks only to have to redo the damage again. I decided to ease into protein with Aphogee's 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor. This made my hair silky and less coarse after one use, so I excitedly moved onto the 2-Step, half expecting for my hair to break off at my ear while smelling like a cadaver. Well, 2 treatments later and I am a happy camper!

-While it doesn't miraculously hide or remove damage, it noticeably improves my hair texture. Split ends, breakage, or any kind of "holes" that were once visible on parts of the cuticle are smoothed over.
-My hair moves now!
-The smell isn't that bad. It reminds me of an outdated high school's bio lab storage where all the petri dishes are stored.

I follow up with L'oreal's Mega Moisture Conditioning treatment or GVP Conditioning Balm and seal with a tiny dime-sized amount of coconut oil. Without this, I probably would not have made it this far in my frying-lavender-ombre-balayage journey.

on 11/29/2014 1:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

I have a lot of thin hair, I am a salon blonde. I used Joico several times in the past and stopped because it wasn't doing anything, a few people recommended trying this and I have used it 3x and my hair feels just a little stronger, I don't belive in product miracles so I will take slight improvements. The smell is awful and it's not easy to apply, like, I am hunched over the tub surrounded by towels, but definitely worth your time. I usually buy the packets that come with the conditioner, follow the instructions and make sure your hair is completly hardened/ dried before washing off.

on 11/24/2014 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely amazing!!! I was recommended this product by a SA at Sally's Beauty when looking for something to help my extremely dry, wild curly hair. I color my hair every couple months due to premature graying, and I use a hairdryer occasionally. I watched multiple videos on YouTube and decided to take the plunge yesterday. I'm not going to lie, it smells rank (like rotted Apple cider vinegar). It did burn my scalp a little in the back for the first few minutes. I used my hand-held hair dryer, as it dries it makes your hair very stiff/hard. Everyone was adamant about not messing with your hair as it dries because it could actually snap! After gently rinsing the protein out in the shower I applied the second step, the moisturizing treatment and left it on a few minutes. I styled my hair as usual & wow what a difference!!! I will continue to use this every 6 weeks as recommended. I can feel a difference on each strand of hair, it went from rough and uneven to smooth. This product truly is amazing.

I thought this product deserves a review. In one word, miracle! This stuff saved the rest of my hair. And I say it like that because more then half of it was already cut off. Had I known about it sooner, I would still have long hair to my waist. But without it, my hair would be above my ears. Yes, this product is good for protein hair upkeeps. But, if your hair has turned into mush and ready to drip onto your floor, it WILL SAVE your hair. That's how bad my hair was. I used it as directed the first day. Then again the 2nd day. Already the first time my hair felt stronger. The 2nd time I could blowdry it, but at that time, the weaker hair in the front and ends were still too soft, so I applied again as directed. That did it. Any little spots, I just lightly coted over my hair as I was blow drying and left it in. After that I could round brush and flat iron my hair. My hair looks just as healthy as it was before I became a platinum blonde. My hair is past my shoulders and now can continue to grow out looking and feeling great! This stuff IS worth every penny. I will also say, I did not use any shampoo od any kind during this process and I did used the macadamia hair mask after the first 2 treatment steps.

on 11/19/2014 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Works great. I have been using it over 10 years. I am black with 4a hair. I used it when I had relaxed hair and natural hair. Most protein treatments make my hair too hard. Not this down side is its sticky and smells bad

on 11/11/2014 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm biracial and decided I rented to try one more time for blonde hair. Ive bleached and toned my hair so many times in the last two weeks I lost count! Needless to say my hair was like a rubberband! Yes this stuff stinks, but its the only reason I still have hair on my head!! Put it on, dry it rock hard with a dryer, follow with a deep conditioner. It works!!