September 2, 2014 | 1454 users online

Fragrances - Gres - Cabotine

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by noorhasclaws

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My aunty wore this smell everywhere. Its beautiful, and tranquilising. I love it. I love it alot. I love it alot alot. This smell is worth a million bux! This formula of mixtures has been created from an angel.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by dmoyer

I have seen this forever at TJMAXX for a very decent price. After reading reviews here and looking on fragrantica.com I decided what do I have to lose?? I got a small bottle for like 6.99. Anyway it is really very pleasantly surprising!! Fresh, sweet but not heavy and lasted all day! I would say white floral but I wouldn't say gardenia or magnolia. Maybe it's the Lily that I'm smelling but when I think of lily I think Easter and cloying. This is light and fresh

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 5:33:00 PM More reviews by LadyOttawa

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Fragrance is so difficult to review, one either loves the scent or does not. One person maybe drawn to orientals, others repelled by orientals and so on.
That being said I have to say I love the fresh green scent of Cabotine. It is so uplifting. I always get compliments when I wear this fragrance.
If you have a chance to sample this delightful fragranceā€¦do!
I also want to thank Silliage for their very informative review. : )

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

The review below, which explains all the fragrance notes in Cabotine, is very helpful if you want to know what you're getting into with this perfume! It also helps explain why I like this fragrance so much even though it superficially doesn't seem to be "my kind" of fragrance. (I love Origins Ginger. If Cabotine is even distantly related, well - that's why).

I bought this one unsniffed at Marshall's because it was very inexpensive. I got a 50 mL bottle for $10, but I also saw a gift set including a 100 mL bottle and lotion for under $20. And yet, this perfume smells expensive to me. Elegant, and expensive.

I think it's a great fragrance, if VERY strong. One little spray is plenty, and maybe even too much. It lasts and lasts forever. I love it and highly recommend that you give it a try! But don't wear it on an airplane.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I've always loved Cabotine by Gres, which was created around Ginger Lily in the early 90's. Fragrantica.com says this about it:

"The composition is created around the ginger lily, also known as a butterfly lily, a Himalayan large-petalled white flower. Growing in harsh high mountains climate, this plant blooms for only a few weeks in the spring time, and each flower lives only for a few hours, what makes it difficult, almost impossible, to extract the oil. An IFF pioneering researcher, Dr. Braja Mookherjee, found a way to analyse the oil structure using the 'living-flower' technique, and to copy the fragrance of the ginger lily, what enabled the industrial production. Cabotine is the first perfume which contains ginger lily in its composition."

I went through 2-3 bottles of Cabotine (plus lotion, from gift sets) in the early 90's, and I wore it almost nonstop to the exclusion of most of the rest of my collection.

My son played soccer at the time, and it takes me back to crisp cool Fall weather, watching his soccer practices after school -- while wearing Cabotine. The scent itself is like being outside in the cool fresh air & greenery. Very bright & energizing & cheerful -- reminds me of greenhouses, fresh Spring breezes, and parks.

I found it rather odd back then that I would become hooked on Cabotine (which I was), since it was *not* my normal taste at all (orientals, gourmands, vanillas, & musks) -- but it just kept drawing me back. The sweet delicious ginger note was addictive to me. I just found Cabotine zingy & cheerful -- it lifted my mood, gave me a boost -- affected me like an aromatherapy oil -- took me outside, into the great outdoors, into nature.

"Limeade, Ginger, and Lily of the Valley" is what Cabotine smells like to me. Very refreshing, cool, crisp, pungent, aromatic, citrus-ginger-green scent. It's a happy, exuberant, eye-poppingly energetic scent -- fresh, outdoorsy, lively, light green, sweet, citrusy, and refreshing.

Although white florals generally tend to give me a headache, the sweetness of the citrus & ginger in Cabotine round out the florals just enough to keep that from happening -- for me.

Possible distant relatives -- the d/c'd Poison Tendre (green bottle flanker). Or Origins Ginger Essence. Or Lancome's d/c'd AromaTonic, the green one. Also perhaps on the order of Chance Eau Fraiche, Bath & Body Works Beautiful Day, or Bond No 9 High Line, except far zestier & more aromatic. Smells a bit like "Irish Spring" soap too -- or, it has that effect.

Gres Cabotine was supposed to be the "daughter" of Cabochard -- a lighter, fresher, younger scent. I like Cabotine *far* better than Cabochard, which is too dark, resiny, & leathery for me. Cabotine is the only Gres I've ever liked.

EDT (& lotion too) are *very strong* & require just a tiny amount -- and their lasting power is excellent.

I just found a great deal on a Cabotine set at Marshall's -- 3.4oz EDT + 6.8oz tube of lotion for $16 -- so I bought it, for old times' sake. I have a dab of the lotion on now --- mmm, like a cool refreshing limey-green iced beverage. Still good after all these years.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2013 9:02:00 AM More reviews by MissBehaviour

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I never wore this when it was first launched in the 90s so do not know whether the original formulation has been changed, but the initial blast I get upon application is like sharp alcoholic fumes overlaid with cheap citrus notes--as others have noted, very much like an industrial cleaner or perhaps a car freshener.

Once that unpleasantness fades the fragrance is not that bad at all: a floral blend with an underlying herbal sweetness, quite a lot of sillage, and very decent lasting power for the price.

Given the unpleasant opening and the fact that what follows does not wow me, I would not repurchase. At the low price it seems to retail for in most places I would definitely suggest giving it a try, persevering past the first 10 minutes, and then making a decision.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/17/2013 2:25:00 PM More reviews by lovelyswan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The opening spray of this is shockingly bad. It quite literally smells like a heavy floral cleaning product masking the odor of pee - like you peed your pants and used an industrial strength flowery air freshener to hide the smell. Thankfully, that urine smell goes away on the dry down and the remaining scent really isn't that bad. But I'm simply too traumatized by that dreadful opening to ever try to wear this again...

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2013 2:13:00 AM More reviews by NeonBiitch

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Do NOT trust sniffing the bottle! You spray this and at first it is sharp and kinda weird... GIVE IT 10 MINUTES! This is a wonderfully green, clean, unoffensive fragrance. Perfect for work or any occasion. Only a hint of floral, nothing specific.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

Gave it a spritz at the mall...it smells sharply of soap, and not the fancy kind. Not horrible by any means, but not my thing. It didn't last very long on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 9:42:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Back in the '90's I liked this - for whatever reason - and now, I don't. Too "old ladyish" for me. So synthetic. Smells better on a test strip than on my skin. A good friend years ago wore it and loved it so i got a bottle too - and now I never touch it. The bottle is long gone - I probably threw it away years ago.