October 20, 2014 | 1952 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - TheBalm - BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by jadaite

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have gone through countless tinted moisturizers and was still looking. I really liked NARs tinted moisturizer but at $42.00 a bottle, I thought maybe I should look for a cheaper alternative. I went through Garnier (who hasn't?) etc you name it, I've tried it. The only one that I really liked was Lumene bb cream but I wasn't happy with the shades that they had, even the dark was light to me. I have olive skin and even though I liked the coverage, I looked pasty so I covered it with a darker powder, needless to say I had to keep reapplying the powder! I had read good comments about theBalm and when I saw a deal for $12.00, I thought I am going to try it! Well happily the medium was really a medium and it does last for most of the day. I have normal skin and so far it has worked like a charm!!! The range of colors that they have is amazing!!! Lighter that light, Light, Medium, Medium-Dark, Dark and after Dark. Some people want a heavier coverage, you can add your favorite foundation to this. I find thia product very natural (I like to apply it with my fingers). Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2014 12:55:00 AM More reviews by Chickeys

I discovered this product through MUA after testing and feeling very meh about the other TMs/BB creams/CC creams I'd been trying. I ordered it in shade Light from Nordstrom (I think I paid $25?), and I've been using it for two weeks straight so here's a (long!) first-impression review: so far, I am LOVING this product! It's exactly what I've been searching for: a lightweight product that evens my skin tone, matches my coloring, doesn't fade or streak off, and doesn't cause skin issues.

My skin is NW20, normal with an oily T-zone, and I am not acne-prone. I use this product after applying a few pumps of Clinique DDMG: I agree with the reviewers who stated this is not very moisturizing: unless you're oily, use a bit of moisturizer. Lately I've been applying it with my fingers because of laziness, but my preferred application is with a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush: when I use my fingers I have to use more product and layer it a bit on my redness or spots. When I use the brush, I squirt a pea-size on the back of my hand, and then buff it in. The finish is truly flawless: it evens my skin-tone and blends wonderfully. I use NARS concealer over the top (either Radiant Creamy Concealer or the stick), blend that in, set with MAC Blot, then do blush and mascara, and I'm good to go! This product feels like nothing on my skin (I'm a girl who just despises the feel of heavy face products), and I just can't say enough good things about it.

I think of this product as more of a very lightweight foundation than a tinted moisturizer, just because it's not really moisturizing, as I noted above. The coverage is thin (but buildable, to a degree), so if you are looking for freckle or acne coverage, BalmShelter will disappoint you.

On my skin I find that BalmShelter wears very well under MAC Blot and a spritz of setting spray (currently I'm using UD but would like to try Fix+), and I only have to blot my T-zone once a day around lunchtime. It removes easily with cleanser at night, and it hasn't given me any skin problems in the weeks I've been using it. The packaging on this product is awesome: a generously sized tube (with a flip-top lid! Yay for no twist-off cap!) that's easy to control the amount you want. (I sort of wish the tube were smaller actually so I could travel with it, heh.) This product does have SPF, but I notice no adverse effects, and big thumbs-up that it doesn't feel icky or powdery like a sunscreen either.

Again, I'm loving this product to death and will absolutely repurchase. Thank you MUA for helping me discover this!! (I will update this review later.)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2014 6:05:00 PM More reviews by shoppingproblem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It caused terrible allergies on my cheeks. I was really liking the product before that but it is impossible for me to use. Then i gave it to my mother but she had the same problem so we had to throw it away. Other than that it has light coverage, spf 18, it is easy to apply&blend, moisturizing, appropriate for daily makeup.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2014 7:11:00 PM More reviews by hottahitilover

I got this at tj maxx in a gift set its ok it doesnt have full coverage unless i mix this with a clinique foundation then it gives a full smooth coverage I wouldn't pay full price for this I got it for maybe 10.00 or so at a discount in the shade medium.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/18/2014 1:01:00 AM More reviews by HighPriestess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The Balm's TimeBalm Concealer in the shade "Lighter than Light" is a long-time favorite in my kit; recently, I decided to try their BalmShelter Tinted Moisturizer w/ SPF 18 in the same shade.

Texture:
BalmShelter is thin in texture and very easily blended; it has no discernable sheen/glow to my eye. I always use a scant dusting of silica-based finishing powder before heading out the door, but the bare finish of the product is more that of a natural-matte cream.

Pigmentation:
Sheer to semi-sheer--product is buildable (to a degree, obviously!).

Wear:
Perfect! BalmShelter is very long-wearing (set with powder); I've also had no issues with oxidation or skin eruptions since adding this product (over a month ago). As others have mentioned, it is not much of a moisturizer (albeit not drying on my combo-dry skintype, either).

Shade:
Lighter Than Light corresponds perfectly with the same shade in the brand's concealer. I would describe it as a pale-fair neutral, which suits my needs as a NW15 perfectly.

As of purchase, one tube of BalmShelter runs $25 for 2.15 fluid ounce (64ml) worth of product.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Shylilsweety

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have combination, acne-prone skin, and it tends to be really sensitive so I'm always nervous in trying new products.

I purchased this online after careful review searching and was not disappointed.The product not only feels moisturizing the second you put it on, but it does keep your skin smooth and moisturized for a few hours after application. I don't notice much of a scent. Its tint is very, and I mean VERY light coverage. I am using Light in color, but might repurchase lighter, since I am pretty fair skinned. The application is smooth and I apply with clean fingertip after a primer. I sometimes mix this with my liquid foundation and apply both at the same time. I come out with a little bit of a dewy result after applying this product (alone or mixed) so I just use loose mineral matte powder to keep it locked downed for hours and matte.

Overall: Really love this, and will continue to repurchase. My only wish is that it had more coverage! It's definetly buildable without clumping, going into fine lines, or becoming cakey or catching on dry areas and is very smooth, but not "perfect-cover-all-pores-like-photoshop" smooth and it gets only as far as light to medium coverage when building. If it had a medium flat coverage it would be amazing and worth every cent so I took a point off just for that and I do wish is was easier to find and obtain! Only able to find it online currently.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by hannahwang97

This has the potential to work very well even on oily skin with powder and primer. However I have extremely patchy dry skin for some reason at the moment and this foundation has emphasized it, not as much as other products though. The feeling of this on the skin is thin and light, does not look cakey! You can see your skin but the foundation is noticeable. IT DOES NOT BREAK YOU OUT! I have acne-prone skin and nearly everything makes my acne worse whether it makes me get more or makes the ones I have worse. It was a huge surprise considering some of the ingredients it uses and not saying that it's non-comedegenic. My skin was actually improving while using this! The packaging is something I hate, it looks very cheap. However I would definitely reuse and repurchase once my skin has retained moisture.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by JBeauty22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

People keep saying there are no darker shades....THAT IS NOT TRUE! There are 3!!!! Just before dark, dark, and after dark. I work for the new kohls beauty department as a advisor and kohls carries Thebalm as well as the 3 darker shades depending on whether your kohls has the new beauty department. Anyway, this product is great it isn't dewy like I hoped but its very light and fresh. The only bad thing is it oxidizes! You can tell by how the excess product gets darker on the inside of the cap so for lighter skin you may want to go a shade lighter to avoid looking orange or having a visible line. I use the shade dark as well as Thebalm time balm cream concealer in dark.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/27/2014 7:51:00 AM More reviews by purplelili

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I got this simply 'coz I was looking for light coverage product for the summer. I have made some research and reading all the good reviews I wanted to give it a go.

Cons:
-It is very affordable! The amount of product that you got in the tube is great! Will last you ages.
-SPF 18

Pros:
-People with oily skin should stay away from this product. Especially in the summer! It just doesnt settle on your face!
-It is not very good coverage. It doesn't even out your skin tone or anything. You cannot use this one on its own. You should use it with a good concealer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 2:03:00 PM More reviews by elizmarcelo

Rating this 5-star so more people would buy the BalmShelter then TheBalm wouldn't have to discontinue this product. That's how much I love it! Light, but tinted enough. Exactly how I want it to be! Had to spot conceal but I don't mind. The longer it is on your face, the better it looks. Wore this for approx 13 hours yesterday, I only had to blot (using Palladio rice powder) once!