Alpha-H Liquid Gold

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Alcohold Denat, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Hydrolysed Silk, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

on 6/2/2015 6:22:00 AM

HOLYGRAIL one-step skincare for me. My skin looks radiant in the morning every time I use it at night. It also saves much times as it doesn't require you to use toner or moisturiser or any serum/treatment afterwards. It's just amazing.

on 6/2/2015 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this. I apply it at night and wake up with 'new skin'. It had made my skin more even in the long run, and helos brighten your complexion when it is feeling dull. The only downside, is the alcohol content and price.

I've written a detailed review on my blog here:

on 5/13/2015 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this product, after reading all the hype about it. But alas! My skin was fairly clear to start out with. I get occasional pimples, but nothing i couldn't cure with my 10% over the counter BP. But like everyone, in the pursuit to get clear skin, i purchased alpha-h with high hopes. Right after the first time i used it, i developed small bumps on the side of my cheeks, small little pimples. I gave it another shot last week and again this week. It made me break out like crazy. I'm so devastated since its my birthday in 2 weeks! hopefully i can get this under control by then. I just want to say AHA is not for everyone. If you want to give this a shot, get the travel size or trial kit to see if it suits your skin first. That being said, the lavender smoothing mask & the spf moisturiser from alpha h is amazing.

I'm so sad this didn't work for me, i hope it work for you, good luck! xx

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this! I have sensitive skin, which gets get and irritated easily. But this is like a dream. Whenever I have some red spots or uneven skin tone and use this at night; I wake up to even, clear and bright skin. I love it. Mostly I use it every other night or when desired. Initially it stung a little. But when I use it now I do not feel it anymore. It also has made a huge difference in the appearance of my pores. When using this they are significantly smaller. I just ordered my second bottle and will continue to repurchase it.

on 2/19/2015 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have just ordered my second bottle of this and i am absolutely in love with it!!
I apply this every 2/3 nights after cleansing and toning. I apply with a cotton wool pad. Sometimes it stings but only lightly.. When i wake the next day my skin is happy! I then apply Neil's Yard Beauty Balm in the morning. I believe this has been a major factor in getting my skin back on track. I have suffered with terrible acne and did a number of home glycolic peels which initially stopped the acne.. I think it was too harsh and shocked my acne into submission. So when it started coming back i was looking for something which wouldn't make my skin peel like my home glycolic peels. This really is a great product. I notice my older acne scars have lightened since using this product too!. Perhaps as a result of using this alongside the Neil's Yard Beauty Balm. I have tried so many products designed to help with my problematic skin but this is by far the best. Much better than the world acclaimed Biologique Recherche p50 which is an expensive toner.
I will continue using this as i am so happy with the results.
You can often get it cheaper on QVC UK website and they often have deals on Alpha H kits.

Love Love Love this!!!

on 1/9/2015 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

--- Name---
The fact that this product is called 'Liquid Gold' seems cheesy and desperate to me. Surely that's for the customers to decide!

--- Packaging---
Boring and brown! Feels and looks cheap, like something I picked up in the grocery store!

--- Fragance and use---
This product smells quite 'alcoholic' which it is. I think I can also smell the liquorice, even though it might be me. Either way, it smells unpleasant. Using this product was also unpleasant to me. I used it for over a month every other night. After cleansing, I would pour it onto a cotton pad and gently sweep my face with it avoiding the eye area. Initially, I thought it would be nice to only use this, for a change. How great would that be, if only using this and eye cream (on Liquid Gold nights) provided amazing results? Can you believe it? Amazing results with little effort? Soon I realised the results were not so great. Moreover, it started to feel more and more uncomfortable to use this as it felt increasingly drying and harsh.

--- Results---
Ok exfoliation. I mean, did a good job with flaky winter skin- even though I don't get much of it. Did nothing to my pores, blackheads or skin tone. Some mornings my skin looked parched after using this. No wonder, the formulation is loaded with alcohol. Some MUA member's are of the opinion that this formulation doesn't have enough AHA concentration. I don't have extensive experience with AHA's but they are probably right considering the results. This is loaded with alcohol, that I can tell and that is not good for the skin.

--- Conclusion---
Mediocre to average exfolating power with a harsh formulation which is loaded with alcohol. At times irritated my skin. Felt unpleasant to use and dried my skin out immensely. Had to stop using it. Ended up throwing it away.

P.S- This lotion also made my skin produce a lot more oil. It's probably due to the fact that it is so drying.

on 12/2/2014 3:05:00 AM

I got this initially in a trial size kit.I loved it from day one. I have repurchased several times since usually when it is on offer. A bottle lasts forever. I'm trying their Instant Facial at the moment. Amazing.

on 11/16/2014 7:37:00 PM

I expected this to be a lot more powerful but this is nothing other than a mild glycolic toner. As for the other benefits, I didn't experience any improvement to justify the price. Based on the order of ingredients and my years of experience in using AHA, I would say this is less than 5%, its never a good sign when the buffered acid content is not advertised. Anything from Alpha Hydrox is better and about a quarter of the price. I also think Aqua glycolic make much stronger stuff as well, up around the 12% mark and about a third of this price. Glycolix, Glytone, Nip and Fab also have more effective glycolic products. If you have the same amount to spend buy the Biologique Recherche P50 which is a few leagues away in performance. This is nothing special about this and I recommend you consider the many trial kits available in this brand and not be a sucker like me and buy the full size. I used it all but I did not think it was anything other than a drugstore performing product. I find 10-15% is good for a toner/cleanser and I prefer 20% used 2x a week for pads, moisturiser, etc. This is just too weak. I find the St Ives Scrub Free exfoliating pads to be on par with this, but less irritating. Thats about $4 a tub and will last you about the same time. With AHAs the most important thing to look for is the buffered acid % which is the effective % your skin will get (usu bit less than the labelled %).

on 9/14/2014 7:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

I bought this product after reading numerous recommendations from skin care and make up gurus on Youtube. Well, that would teach me! In my experience this product is just hype and its success is only clever marketing. Alpha-H broke me out and caused a rash. I do have sensitive skin and thankfully I've used it only partially. I usually expect sensitive reactions to acid products due to the nature of my skin but I do not break out easily. I still have a few spots that are healing very slowly and blocked pores on my cheeks which are the driest part of my face! The return policies of cosmetic companies in the UK are terrible so this happened to be an expensive mistake for me! I've used it only at night, after waiting a good 30 minutes after shower to avoid any reaction but it didn't help. Years ago, when I was not avoiding parabens in my skin care, I've used many Md Formulations glycolic products with great success and I think in terms of glycolic skin care, Md Formulations were far superior to Alpha-H, although I've only tried Liquid Gold from this brand. The packaging was bad, getting the product out was messy. I will not purchase again and also not willing to waste my money on any other Alpha-H product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I got this as part of a kit so it wasn't too expensive. It's very light, like water so the first deluxe sample tube I used was not an ideal packaging for it. I apply it directly, not with a cotton pad as advised because the cotton pad absorbs too much but it is difficult to control. It makes my skin softer, smoother and more even toned but you need to use it regularly. They advise every alternate day but twice a week works for me. I have used it when some other product has created blocked pores and my skin is clearer by morning.