Alpha-H Liquid Gold

3.7

Not tested on animals

Water, Alcohold Denat, Glycolic Acid, Glycerin, Hydrolysed Silk, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Potassium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm on my second bottle of this. I tend to use it in the morning before I apply makeup as I like the tight and smooth effect it gives my skin. It's also helped keep some pesky spots at bay. Using it every other day I haven't experienced any dryness or irritation so overall I'm happy with this product. I just hate the bottle which has leaked several times on me.

on 8/16/2015 1:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This product is a tad overrated, imho. Everyone raves about it. Saying that when you wake up you will be amazed at how wonderful your skin looks. Um. That may be true for some folks but whenever I use this product I wake up looking tired as hell par usual. No "glow". Just extra shine on top of somewhat dehydrated skin. Like a previous reviewer mentioned, you will probably get better results from other brand products out there containing a higher % of Glycolic Acid [which I personally do]. Not saying that this Is a terrible product, just doesn't give me any noticeable results. I have been using Glycolic Acid for many years now so that's probably why this doesn't do much for me. If you are new to the game, I'd give it a shot.

on 8/1/2015 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have combination skin, with hyper-pigmentation and the occasional spot. I held off on this product for years after everyone started raving about it but I'm glad I finally tried it. I started off with every other night application and moved up to nightly, I've been using it for about three months now and am almost done with this bottle. This has made a bigger difference in my skin than any other individual product I've ever tried. I love this product and have already repurchased.

At night I double cleanse and then tone with this by soaking a cotton pad (about ten drops). When applied I usually feel a tingling sensation, it's not painful at all but definitely noticeable. I like a little tingle because it makes me feel like the product is doing something. If you have sensitive skin (which I absolutely do not) you might want to start slow or patch test.

Now results. I was already using acid toners (FAB, Nip+Fix, St Ives) and I had great results. My spots were firmly under control except for the occasional monthly pop-up and the hyper-pigmentation wasn't getting any worse. I tried this on a whim and didn't expect it to perform any differently to the others. Boy was I wrong... Using this nightly means I didn't even get my usual monthly spots and the hyper-pigmentation is almost completely gone. My skin looks really clear and luminous. I am thrilled with the results.

I was worried that it might dry or irritate my skin but it never did. I didn't have any adverse reaction at all, and noticed the results after 5 days or so. The packaging is not glamorous but it works. Even after using it for 3 months, I still get exactly the same tingle as when I first opened it, so not worries about the effectiveness waning. I don't find this moisturising at all but because of my oily skin I can still use it on its own. Most nights I leave it on my skin after cleansing for an hour or so, then I will spritz with a moisturising toner and use a facial oil right before bed. If I feel like my skin needs a really good treatment that I will go without anything on top of this. It works fine both ways, without moisturiser my skin is more luminous but with it my skin is slightly luminous and plump.

Given how effective it is and how long the bottle lasted (over twice as long as the jars of N+F or FAB pre-soaked pads) the price per use is fantastic. I have a second bottle ready to go when this one is empty and would definitely recommend this. 5 lippies all around!

on 6/2/2015 6:22:00 AM

HOLYGRAIL one-step skincare for me. My skin looks radiant in the morning every time I use it at night. It also saves much times as it doesn't require you to use toner or moisturiser or any serum/treatment afterwards. It's just amazing.

on 6/2/2015 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this. I apply it at night and wake up with 'new skin'. It had made my skin more even in the long run, and helos brighten your complexion when it is feeling dull. The only downside, is the alcohol content and price.

I've written a detailed review on my blog here:

on 5/13/2015 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this product, after reading all the hype about it. But alas! My skin was fairly clear to start out with. I get occasional pimples, but nothing i couldn't cure with my 10% over the counter BP. But like everyone, in the pursuit to get clear skin, i purchased alpha-h with high hopes. Right after the first time i used it, i developed small bumps on the side of my cheeks, small little pimples. I gave it another shot last week and again this week. It made me break out like crazy. I'm so devastated since its my birthday in 2 weeks! hopefully i can get this under control by then. I just want to say AHA is not for everyone. If you want to give this a shot, get the travel size or trial kit to see if it suits your skin first. That being said, the lavender smoothing mask & the spf moisturiser from alpha h is amazing.

I'm so sad this didn't work for me, i hope it work for you, good luck! xx

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this! I have sensitive skin, which gets get and irritated easily. But this is like a dream. Whenever I have some red spots or uneven skin tone and use this at night; I wake up to even, clear and bright skin. I love it. Mostly I use it every other night or when desired. Initially it stung a little. But when I use it now I do not feel it anymore. It also has made a huge difference in the appearance of my pores. When using this they are significantly smaller. I just ordered my second bottle and will continue to repurchase it.

on 2/19/2015 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have just ordered my second bottle of this and i am absolutely in love with it!!
I apply this every 2/3 nights after cleansing and toning. I apply with a cotton wool pad. Sometimes it stings but only lightly.. When i wake the next day my skin is happy! I then apply Neil's Yard Beauty Balm in the morning. I believe this has been a major factor in getting my skin back on track. I have suffered with terrible acne and did a number of home glycolic peels which initially stopped the acne.. I think it was too harsh and shocked my acne into submission. So when it started coming back i was looking for something which wouldn't make my skin peel like my home glycolic peels. This really is a great product. I notice my older acne scars have lightened since using this product too!. Perhaps as a result of using this alongside the Neil's Yard Beauty Balm. I have tried so many products designed to help with my problematic skin but this is by far the best. Much better than the world acclaimed Biologique Recherche p50 which is an expensive toner.
I will continue using this as i am so happy with the results.
You can often get it cheaper on QVC UK website and they often have deals on Alpha H kits.

Love Love Love this!!!

on 1/9/2015 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

--- Name---
The fact that this product is called 'Liquid Gold' seems cheesy and desperate to me. Surely that's for the customers to decide!

--- Packaging---
Boring and brown! Feels and looks cheap, like something I picked up in the grocery store!

--- Fragance and use---
This product smells quite 'alcoholic' which it is. I think I can also smell the liquorice, even though it might be me. Either way, it smells unpleasant. Using this product was also unpleasant to me. I used it for over a month every other night. After cleansing, I would pour it onto a cotton pad and gently sweep my face with it avoiding the eye area. Initially, I thought it would be nice to only use this, for a change. How great would that be, if only using this and eye cream (on Liquid Gold nights) provided amazing results? Can you believe it? Amazing results with little effort? Soon I realised the results were not so great. Moreover, it started to feel more and more uncomfortable to use this as it felt increasingly drying and harsh.

--- Results---
Ok exfoliation. I mean, did a good job with flaky winter skin- even though I don't get much of it. Did nothing to my pores, blackheads or skin tone. Some mornings my skin looked parched after using this. No wonder, the formulation is loaded with alcohol. Some MUA member's are of the opinion that this formulation doesn't have enough AHA concentration. I don't have extensive experience with AHA's but they are probably right considering the results. This is loaded with alcohol, that I can tell and that is not good for the skin.

--- Conclusion---
Mediocre to average exfolating power with a harsh formulation which is loaded with alcohol. At times irritated my skin. Felt unpleasant to use and dried my skin out immensely. Had to stop using it. Ended up throwing it away.

P.S- This lotion also made my skin produce a lot more oil. It's probably due to the fact that it is so drying.

on 12/2/2014 3:05:00 AM

I got this initially in a trial size kit.I loved it from day one. I have repurchased several times since usually when it is on offer. A bottle lasts forever. I'm trying their Instant Facial at the moment. Amazing.

Popular Treatments (Face)