Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

on 4/26/2015 2:50:00 PM

I used this product last night for the first time and was honestly really impressed by how well it worked! My natural hair is a sort of dark ash blonde colour that I have been dying spice red for over a year. I like the colour but have gotten really sick of the upkeep and trying to keep my roots coloured and the dye from fading, so have decided to go back to my natural colour with some highlights for spring/summer.

After a recent trip to the beach my hair was a complete mess. New growth showing, a section of "hot roots" that had only been dyed once and that had faded to a weird brassy orange colour, and the lengths of my hair that were stubbornly holding onto the red that had been applied multiple times. I knew that if I tried to dye over it as is, the roots would come out a different colour than the lengths, so needed to even it out.

I have very thick, shoulder length hair and only used one box, but I think I would have had better results with two. I really only focused on the top and back of my hair around the root area and dragged as much of the solution as I could through the ends. I plan to add some balayage/ombre type highlights to the midlengths and ends so I wasn't too concerned about it being super even, as long as the root line didn't look weird. I also didn't pay as much attention to the bottom half of my hair, as I didn't mind if that section was a little bit darker.

Be warned: The reviews are not lying. This product does.not.smell.good. It's kind of like rotten pickled eggs or something similar. Get that stuff on your head as quickly as you can and turn on your bathroom fan. After I applied it, I put my hair in the provided shower cap and then wrapped my hair in a towel to keep the heat in. This, I think, had the added bonus of preventing any drips and keeping the smell contained well enough that I almost forgot about it until I took the towel and cap off after 20 minutes.

I hopped in the shower and rinsed for about 10 minutes, and then shampooed twice with clarifying shampoo while rinsing for another 10 minutes, and then applied some conditioner. Overall, my hair didn't feel more damaged than it was when I started. After I got out of the shower I was pleasantly surprised to see that my root area was completely even. As expected, though, my hair was a really brassy orange colour. My husband called me Vitamin C, but it was honestly exactly what I had expected to happen. I dried my hair on medium heat and then immediately coloured over it with L'Oreal Preference 6 Ombre - Light Brown for 10 minutes. It covered the brassiness nicely and came out an even dark golden blonde colour, which is exactly what I wanted. Most importantly, it is completely even on the top and roots. I don't mind the warm golden colour, but if you don't want any warmth at all, you will definitely need an ashier shade over top. The neutral brown did not neutralize all the orange that was left.

Wil be recommending this product to friends and later on in the summer, I will definitely use again before bleaching to go to a lighter blonde colour! Glad I found this product and that it works!!

on 4/25/2015 5:06:00 PM

They didn't have my normal color so I opted for something I thought would be close. I dyed my hair yesterday with a color called Black Cherry. Was I wrong! It was a complete disaster for me. My roots and greys were a very dark pink and purple. At my age, I couldn't live with that. So online I went to see what I can do, I need a quick fix, QUICK!

I read the reviews on Color Oops. Some were good, some not so good. After careful thinking, I decided I was going to buy it today. It didn't matter if it lightened my hair, I'd just re-dye it. As long as the pink/purple was gone, I would be happy.

Went and bought it today. As I was putting it in, I can see the the awful color was fading. Looked to me like it was working. Horray!

I left it on for 25 minutes (5 minutes longer than the instructions stated). Took the cap off and proceeded to rinse it out. The rinse water had a reddish tone to it so I new the awful color was coming out. I shampooed twice and rinsed for 20 minutes like the instructions stated.

Even wet, I could see all of the color came out. My greys are now a very light brown and the rest of my hair a few shades lighter than my natural color. At this point, I didn't care if it turned my hair blonde, I could always recolor.

I let it air dry and I was astonished. This stuff did its job, WELL! It worked! All that nasty pink and purple were gone, GONE!

After letting it completely dry, I rinsed and shampooed again, just to be extra sure and get some of the smell out. Really, its not as awful smelling as many have said it is.

I've added no conditioner because I intend to recolor with a demi permanent tomorrow. At this point, I don't care if the new color is too light or too dark, it will wash out in 25 washings, then I can go back to my normal, permanent color.

I have nothing to say but good things about Color Oops. It worked well for me and I'm so very happy.

Next time I buy my permanent haircolor, I will not substitute if they're out of it. At least if my normal color fails me for some odd reason, I know Color Oops will be there to correct it.

on 4/14/2015 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product lifted my recently died level 3 hair a little bit I say don't spend your money on this product buy color fix or rusk elimin8 instead

on 4/10/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, I was shocked that Color Oops actually works on hair that is dyed too dark. I am naturally a dark brunette with red highlights and some gray hair around my hairline. I have been coloring my hair for many, many years. I usually use Garnier Nutrisse Medium Golden Mahogany Brown or Revlon Colorsilk Medium Golden Chestnut Brown and I am happy with the color results of both. But this time around I wanted to try a new shade and bought Revlon Colorsilk Medium Rich Brown. Well ,after applying it I ended up with almost black hair. Big mistake. I wanted to get my hair back to a lighter warm chocolate brown shade and decided to try Color Oops based on the good reviews I read here. So off to CVS I went to see if I could find it. Sure enough CVS had it . It cost about $13.99 but I had a 30% off coupon so I got a good buy on the product.

I came home, went into the bathroom and mixed the two bottles it came with and applied it to my hair. It was a little thin and runny so I wrapped a towel around my shoulders to protect my clothes from getting all wet. Next I applied the plastic cap it came with and let the product sit on my hair for 20 minutes. Then I took off the cap and rinsed with warm water for a full 20 minutes (as per the instructions in the box.). Low and behold, after rinsing and drying, my black hair turned into a very light golden brown shade, not red or orange as I was expecting. It was perfect for recoloring to a slightly darker color..

This product smelled like rotten eggs but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people here claimed. Perm solution smells much stronger to me. The thing that concerned me most was how the condition of my hair would be after using this color stripper. To my surprise, there was no damage to my hair at all. It didn't feel course or dry but in the same good condition it was before I started (after using my normal shampoo and conditioner)
This is what I learned from reading reviews and my own experience with Color Oops. First of all, be sure to rinse your hair for a minimum of 20 minutes after using this product. This is very, very important because you want all the dye molecules out of your hair. Second, when choosing a new color to apply, pick a hair color a couple of shades lighter than you want to achieve because Color Oops leaves your hair more porous and it grabs color fast(especially on the ends) A protein filler before recoloring is also suggested and I highly recommend it for optimum results. Also, only leave the new hair color on your hair for 5 minutes or it will come out too dark. Follow these tips and you can get your hair color back to the way you want it.

on 3/30/2015 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have naturally dark brown almost black hair with quite a few grays. I usually dye my hair browns or burgundy shades to cover everything. I've been really sick lately and the upkeep of roots growing in came to be too much. I convinced myself that black was a good option that even with gray regrowth at least I wouldn't have the dreaded line. Well spring is here and I wanted to lighten my hair color without bleach. In order for any other color to take, I needed to remove or lighten the black. A lot of reviews I read for people with naturally dark hair bleached their hair before, I haven't done that in YEARS so I was a little unsure as to whether or not Color Oops would do anything. Well, it did. It did just enough that I needed! No orange or brassiness but I do have a nice reddish brown color to my hair that I would keep if I didn't have grays in between. It even lightened my virgin hair. I put it on the ends first then went back and saturated my whole head. I put the cap on and sat under the dryer for about 15 minutes and then sat in room temperature for another 10 (a total of 25 min). I was disappointed by this time because I couldn't see a visible change. I read about people having their hair go back dark due to not rinsing their hair enough after so I read the directions and rinsed my hair for 20 minutes just like they said. I put a 20min play list on in the shower so I wouldn't be bored. As a shampooed, I paid special attention to the ends where the most dye was. When I came out of the shower and saw my hair, I was ecstatic! Just light enough to take any brown or red that I want. I put a Wen hair mask after even though I don't really feel any damage, partially to cover my bases and partially because of the smell. The smell is why I gave it 4 lipsticks instead of 5. Keep in mind that box colors already show up darker as is but Color Oops warns that it will come out darker than usual due to your hair being more porous after the process. Do a strand or patch test after, even if it's a color that you normally use (just use the hair from your brush after you've used Color Oops and if there isn't any on your brush then take a little bit from an inconspicuous spot on your head). Overall a great but smelly product. I would use it again.

I used a loreal preference colour on my auburn hair that had a little bit more red pigment then I was used to and it dyed my hair purple. After freaking out my lovely boyfriend and I decided we would try this product. I have dyed my hair many times and it took all the colour out of my hair and we left it on for only ten minutes from start to finish. My hair is back to it's NATURAL colour in the summer and I couldn't be happier. My only recommendation is to use a hair mask after shampooing the color oops out or else you hair might feel a bit dry.

on 3/13/2015 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been dying my hair dark red for years except for about 3 months when I bleach my hair blonde and hated it. I remember how hard it was to get the color out from that one time so when I decided that I wanted to do a crazy color I knew I would have to do this again... I did research and found positive reviews for this product. When I used it I was scared that it wouldn't take enough color out but it did. It went from dark red to strawberry blonde! Since I am doing the most of my hair black that is great and the part I will be doing a bright fire red I will bleach to get more color out. My hair did seem a little dry but I just followed it up with a healthy soaking of coconut oil. Great product much better than bleaching 2 or more times... compared to my last experience with changing my hair this is a dream and really easy on my hair over solid bleach. It does stink but it goes away once you put the coconut oil in. If you have gotten a perm or been in a salon while they did one it smells a lot like that. Hope this helped.

on 2/16/2015 8:36:00 PM

I'll begin by giving a brief history on my hair before reviewing this product so that you can get somewhat of an idea of how this product worked on my hair. I'm 20 years old and I've been dying my hair since I was 14 I've had different hair colors ranging from blonde, red, auburn, dark brown, light brown, and really everything in between. Through the beginning of those years my hair would actually grab these colors really fast and I didn't have a problem with dying my hair only until I redyed my hair (permanent color) back to my original color which is black. After going back to black hair I've noticed that it has gotten difficult for my hair to really change into any color when applying hair dye so I went through those times where only my roots would change color and the rest of my hair would stay black so therefore I dyed my roots back to black to match the rest of my head and when my hair would lighten up on its own to a dark brown I would just dye it back to black because my hair is shoulder length and I was wearing extensions at the time and I just didn't want to go waste my money to change my hair color and buy a new pack of hair extensions so I kept it as is and I've been redying my hair back to black for the past 5 years. I can honestly say I think I look better with black hair but I've been getting so bored of it that I wanted something new for a change. I wanted light brown hair. This is when I asked my younger sister that is going to school for cosmetology to try dying my hair to a light brown again but I insisted that I did not want her using bleach on my hair whatsoever to lighten it because of some previous problems I had with using bleach on my hair, so I went to her beauty school the next day and she dyed my hair and the result was my roots were lighter while the rest of my hair was a darkish brown still black. I kind of figured it was going to turn out like this so I went online I researched other alternatives to bleaching and I found out about color removers (color strippers). Only if I knew about this sooner it would've made a huge difference when dying my hair.

Thank you for being patient and reading my brief hair history. Now I'll begin to explain this product. So I did a lot of research on different types of hair color removers and I finally settled with color oops because of the better reviews I was seeing from this product compared to the others I've read about. I was lucky enough to have it at my local target for only $10 I've read some reviews where it ranges for a couple dollars more but I know it all depends on where you live and where you buy it. So I was a bit skeptical when I first bought this product because I saw on the box that the starting out color of the "before coloring" was blonde hair and I'm thinking to myself no way in hell will it work for my hair since it's naturally black but I took the risk and tried it out and I'm glad I did despite it working more on hair colors that are naturally lighter. I bought two boxes and after having my younger sister apply the first box all over my head the smell lingered and it was horrendous I kid you not it smelled like someone set a bag of poop on fire and mixed it with eggs. Some might say that's over the top but having all three of my sisters saying the exact same thing I don't think I'm crazy. I recommend having someone apply it on for you because you don't want to miss any spots and you want it to lift evenly . I waited an hour even though it says to wash it out after 20 min and my hair lightened up to a reddish orange nothing over the top it looked a bit like an auburn color as well so I was actually pleased with the color it turned out and it actually even out with my light roots that my younger sister had previously dyed at her beauty school. The product did not burn at all it actually felt like shampoo that was being applied on my head but instead of a creamy like texture it was more of watery consistency. My hair surprisingly felt fine it wasn't breaking and it didn't have a rubbery consistency after the first process like it would if I had bleached my hair and I deeped conditioned it with Wen because with my hair was very thin and straight so I wanted to make sure I still took care of it plus the smell of my Wen conditioner helped with the egg smell the remover had. I waited until the next day to apply on the second application and after doing the same thing I did with the first which was rinsing it out after an hour and applying Wen my hair turned into a lighter orange and reddish tone, yes it was brassy as hell but I could rock with it and I was just more happy that the previous colors were lifting from my hair so I was not complaining. The second application did not do any damage to my hair only left it feeling a little dry but nothing crazy so I just made sure to apply a leave in conditioner on my ends so that I can bring back in the moisture. I actually got compliments on my hair which was surprising because I have not yet toned it out but I was wearing my naturally short hair that was orange with reddish undertones and I am glad to say that color oops works and it works on naturally dark hair that is previously colored. So whoever has dark hair like myself and is afraid to bleach their hair to go lighter this is the step I recommend to take which is using color oops. It really is a good product. I will be purchasing this product again when I want to go a bit lighter but for now I'll just tone it out and hopefully getting something in the browner shade.

on 2/9/2015 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have read a lot of reviews saying Color Oops was very effective. I bought this product rather than a traditional color remover/lifter because users rated this one as less damaging. My hair is naturally light brown and I have been coloring it dark brown with a semi permanent color for the past couple of years. I followed the instructions EXACTLY to ensure the best possible results. I soaked/rinsed my hair for 20 min, everything the directions said to do. The product smells HORRIBLE but that's not a big deal if it works. It gave me a headache breathing in the fumes so definitely keep a window open.

After processing my hair, it felt somewhat damaged, not nearly as bad as using bleach or color stripper but it definitely felt different. My hair was extremely dry and knotted and difficult to comb through. My color had minimally lifted; it went from dark brown to a slightly lighter dark brownish-orange. The product obviously does work to lift color, but I guess not for everyone. Maybe it depends on the type/color of the dye, some might be a lot harder to remove. The packaging says the process can be repeated one or more times, but I would be afraid to try it again after it made my hair feel so straw-like. I might try it again someday, but not anytime soon.

MY OVERALL REVIEW: This product MIGHT work for you. It seems like a 50/50 shot it will lift dye from your hair, if your hair is not damaged, try it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

This stuff got rid of all of the dark red dye in my natural red hair, so awesome for when I was tired of constantly dying my roots and wanted to switch to semi-permanent dye. I followed the directions exactly (saturate the hair during application, leave on for 20 minutes, rinse for 20 minutes, condition) and my hair appears dye-free. It does have a stink, it wasn't as noticeable when I was applying it, but it's very noticeable in my hair after the rinse and blow drying, so that's my only problem with the product. I'm sure it'll go away with a few shampoos, and it's worth it for the magic this product works.