Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

I dyed my hair with a drugstore dark brown, it turned out jet black. I'm a natural brunette, I hated the black. So, after some research I found Color oops. I looked at the reviews, I learned how to use it and I must say that I am ecstatic with the results. If you follow the instructions to the T, you will get really close to your natural hair color. A good shampoo, conditioner and some argan oil will help the dryness.
The only problem with this product, is that it smells like a million men farted in your hair. It really should come the a warning lable about the smell. Three days later, and my head still smells like a gigantic fart! I use John Friedas Cool Dip shampoo and conditioner, which smells very minty, it does not do anything for the smell. Needless to say my hair smells like mint and boiled eggs. I know it will fade, but my hair falls below my waist when it down, so theres a good bit of it to hold on to the oder.
I learned from my oops. I do not know if I would use the product again. But, if I really hated my hair color I might. Again the results are amazing.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is terrible stuff. If you use this on your hair, it will be damaged beyond repair. There are much better options. Vanish and Pravana make extremely gentle color removers that will get rid of box dye and any unwanted hair color without damaging your hair. They work by shrinking the color molecules so that they simply slip out of the hair with a vigorous shampoo. This is not the way Color Oops works. It likely contains some sort of bleach, which accounts for the terrible damage it does. With any color remover, your hair will be very warm, probably bright orange and will require recoloring. Your hair will be very porous, which means it will absorb color faster and therefore have a much darker result. You can avoid this by using a shade that's two to three levels lighter than the color you ultimately want. For example, if your hair is a level 5 and you want a level 6, you would need to use a level 9 shade to attain this end result. Both Vanish and Pravana are gentle and do not contain bleach or any lightening agents. Follow the directions exactly and you'll have hair that still has strength and integrity. Color Oops is about the worst possible color remover you can use imo. And yes, I've used it several times, each time with disastrous results. And yes, I've used both Vanish and Pravana and never had an issue with either one. My hair came out great and other than a little bit of residual dryness (which was resolved with a hydrating mask) I had no damage whatsoever. So I'm rating Color Oops with one lippie because that's all it deserves. There are much better options that are not much more expensive. True, you'll have to wait for shipping, but isn't the health of your hair worth the wait? There's a big difference between Vanish and Pravana and Color Oops. Please don't find out the hard way. I definitely do not recommend Color Oops. I can't think of a worse hair product.

over the summer I had died under my hair red which eventually turned to brown, but the rest of my hair was blonde. I recently wanted to go back all blonde and lose the bottom now brown. I died my hair 3 times and the brown just would not come out, it would look like I didn't even attempt to dye over it. I don't have the money to go to a salon, so when I found this product I ran out and go it and I so far am pleased! The color did fade out and I'm hoping that when I dye it tomorrow it will be my blonde again. The smell does stay on your hair and it doesn't smell good, but it's worth it!

Okay I am a medium brunette with red undertones. I decided to dye my hair multiple times over 2 years and each time they were a different shade of dark brown to dark red. Finally I dyed my hair jet black and it did not fade like the others. First I tried 2 vitamin C treatments to remove the color. They helped a little but this product took away almost every bit of dye that has built up on my hair over the years. I did experience mild irritation that I usually experience with any boxed dye and the smell was a little strong but other than that I have no complaints. My hair feels healthy still. I did a conditioning treatment in the shower to help with that. My hair does look redder than normal but probably could be fixed with brass removing shampoo.
Overall if you take precautions to protect your hair this product should work well but don't expect for red or purple/pink tones to leave easily. The box even sayts that it's not made to do this.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My hair is naturally dark brown, and I took it all the way to platinum blonde. Since I seem to have a hard time committing to one hair shade, I decided to dye my hair a cherry coke color that went wayyyy too bright and didn't suit me at all! Color oops was able to take out all the red and I left the product in for about 40 minutes. It took me back to the nasty yellow brassy bleach stage which I was able to tone and voila!

Like others have said, this stuff stinks. If you're super sensitive to scents I would stay far away from this. I have thick hair that's a little bit longer than chin length, and I was almost wondering if one bottle was going to be enough to saturate my whole head. The product is very runny and didn't seem to want to absorb into my hair. So just a little heads up to buy more packages than you think you'll need just in case.

I have used boxed hair dyes for years, but this time, I thought it would be more dark brown and it was really more a dark red. Not what I wanted. I knew it would lighten, but not sure I wanted all the holdiay photos to be with that hair color. Found Oops and thought what the heck. It smells so awful, like when you had home perms done in the 70's. I followed directions, rinsed for 15-20 minutes, and was quite surprised that all the color came out. Even from the last couple times, it came out evenly too. Now, it has been 2 weeks and my hair still stinks some, but it is getting better. Also just so you know, I had the bad color on for about a week before I used the product.

I have been box dying my hair for about a year. I used multiple brands all within the medium/dark brown range and sometimes a reddish brown. My hair seemed to become super dark from dying over and over again. I used this product to get out as much dye as possible. It did take a lot out but my hair was left an orangey/light brown. I only did it once because the process was long. I was in the shower for what seemed to be forever. And the product left my head itchy and uncomfortable. I dyed over it two days later to a light brown. My hair color did seem to darken within those two days, so I think if I would have dyed it immediately after the color oops I could have gone lighter? Not sure. In the end it turned out alright, I used a medium ash blonde to counteract the red left and i'm happy with the results.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This product works!!! Well for semi permanent dye atleast it pulled every adore color I every mixed up in my hair n didn't damage it at all!!!! I take pretty good care of my hair I'm natural 3b/c curl n I shampooed it with creme of nature Argan line conditioned it like crazy slept in my protein treatment over night n rinsed it again my hair is still in great shape! I left it in way over 20min bcuz my hair is curly n thick prolly left it about 45min it will drop once ur body starts heating it up n ull see the color lifting away! I went from burgundy to bright orange/yellow I'll never put anything red toned again that RED IS HARD TO GET OUT BUT DIDNT STAND A CHANCE AGAINST THIS I used two bottles from target great price also 9$!!! It smelled bad but open sum Windows n ull be fine....

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay ladies and gents here's the real real about this product. So if you're anything like me, you dye your hair a lot. I've been every color in the natural spectrum from bleach blonde to blue black with some unnatural colors in between. So i get a real bad case of color buildup. So you need to understand this. Color WILL NOT lighten pre colored hair. So you will notice that your hair will not go the color of the box. Or your roots will be much lighter than your ends. These are symptoms of color buildup. You've literally just kept dumping color over color and now its all muddy with color. This product is what you want to grab to sort this out. Now understand this WILL NOT BRING YOUR NATURAL COLOR BACK. If you had brown hair and you dyed it black it will lift the black out of your hair but your natural color is gone. You will probably end up with red/orange hair. Basically this cleans the slate to go ahead and recolor your hair. So it will get rid of most of the color buildup so you can lay another color. Follow the directions and based on your hair type you might need to buy more than one box. This will dry out your hair so take steps before and after the process to maintain the integrity of your hair. What I do, because I have bleached the crap out of my hair is that I will spray light leave in conditioner then apply virgin unrefined coconut oil all over my hair focusing on the parts that need more love then wait a good hour or two. The heat of your head will keep the oil in liquid form and condition your hair. After apply the color oops as instructed on the box over the oil. I prefer mixing the ingredients in a bowl and applying it with a brush but whatever you feel more comfortable with. Also if you have a lot of hair I would recommend focusing on the back of you head first. Letting it process and wash it out and proceed with the front of you head. Because time makes a difference and because the hair on the top of your head sees more sunlight so it may be lighter and more faded than the bottom you can keep an eye on the bottom half without worrying that the top of your head is getting too light. Other than the smell which is like really watered down rotten eggs this works.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I used this product years and years ago and wasn't that impressed with it, but I also had multiple years' worth of black box dye on my hair, lol. Bought and used it again recently, so buckle up:

I won't ramble on about my hair history. The debriefing: Green hair for a few months, dyed it black, two months later I want to go back to a color close to my natural. Used L'oreal Hair Color Remover, whiiiiich worked in some areas, kind of (meaning yeah it lightened it a bit and removed the black but it was still really dark) and didn't do anything to the rest of my hair except damage it. Picked up two boxes of Color Oops, used the first one last night and I am a happy lil sprout.

The results I got: hair is significantly more stripped (in a good way, haha) than it was before, the black bits that were unaffected by the L'oreal are starting to go an orange-ish light brown.

This stuff does smell, but HOOOOONESTLYYYYYY I've smelled far worse. Yeah, it has a little sulfur smell, but really I don't think it's nearly as awful as some people say it is. Maybe my sniffer is whack, but yeah. I'd rather smell this than many other things. Still, though, use it in a ventilated room or something. And your hair is gonna smell like it when you rinse it out, but it'll fade. I used it last night and today I can only really smell it when I bury my nose in my hair.

The whole rinsing-for-937-years thing is kind of a pain in the arse, but it's what you gotta do. I only made it I think 15 minutes last night, but I think what I'll do next time is just rinse most of it out, then lie down in the tub and swish my hair around for 20 minutes.

Damage-wise, this didn't damage my hair. It felt like straw afterward, but I did a deep conditioner overnight and it feels pretty normal again. I guess I'd much rather have dry hair that I can put moisture back into than have bleach-damaged hair that can't really be saved.

ALSO. I really, really, REALLY REALLY appreciate that Color Oops gives you enough product to actually cover your whole dang head. That's probably my biggest gripe with the L'oreal Color Remover - THEY GIVE YOU SO LITTLE. My hair is shoulder-length, thin-average thickness, and the left side of my head is shaved and I STILL needed two bottles of that. With Color Oops, I was good with one bottle and had some leftover.

Anywayyyy, I'm going to do another go-round with this tonight, and I'll update my review tomorrow with my final results after two boxes.

------
UPDATE 08/15/15

Did my second go-round with this, and it removed more color :) Light enough to put my next color over it. No damage (it did get pretty damaged from the L'oreal color remover) but this didn't add any further damage, just dried my hair out a bit but nothing some deep conditioning can't fix.