August 21, 2014 | 1970 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Jeanmoref

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I tried to cover up my hair highlights with a dark auburn hair color, my natural color is light auburn, my hair turned a black color... OMG it was awful.... This THE best product ever... 20 min later, rinse and shampoo alot.... My hair is back.... Amazing... Best $10.00 I have ever spent...

rated 2 of 5 on 8/12/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by JustEissler

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have fine, thin hair that is naturally blonde. I get bored of the colour pretty quickly, so I've been dying it (with colours ranging from blue to black to white blonde) for about ten years. I'm currently trying to grow out my hair, and have spent the past year touching up the roots only (with Olia, in dark brown) in an attempt to keep it relatively healthy. However, I got really tired of constantly seeing blonde roots; my hair grows slowly, but because my natural colour is so light, I could see roots literally a week after dying my hair. Not good. I decided to go back to blonde. In the past, I would just bleach it to death and get it cut short if it ended up damaged, but that wasn't an option this time around. My hair takes way too long to grow for that. So, after doing a bit of research, I figured I'd try Color Oops.

Some people really seemed to have a great experience with it, but to be honest, it did very little for me. I followed the instructions quite carefully and rinsed my hair for an insanely long period of time (maybe half an hour). Unfortunately, when my hair dried, it was....still dark brown. I wasn't expecting it to take much colour out of the length of my hair; however, the ROOTS should have lightened up a bit. No such luck. I think this is one of those hit-or-miss products - works great in some cases, and does absolutely nothing in others.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2014 10:49:00 AM More reviews by rikkic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

To begin, my hair is an ashy medium brown that I have been dying various versions of black (black, soft black, black/brown, etc.) for about a year now. On top of that, I have been using box dyes AND dying my hair from root-to-tip each time (stupid, I know.) I decided that after a year I wanted my natural medium brown hair back OR at least some version of a dark brown.

I looked into bleaching and decided against it as it /always/ causes damage and would most likely turn my hair a nasty orange color. I read several reviews about Color Oops and Colorfix, but ultimately decided to go with Color Oops. After going to three different Wal-Marts to find it, I finally ran across it. This stuff sells fast, I assume.

I bought two boxes as I have very long, very thick, very curly hair and found no problem covering my entire head with two boxes. A little goes a long way as the product is very very very runny. I coated my entire head, put on the cap it comes with, and lightly blow tried my hair for the 20 minutes. As for the smell, IT DOES NOT SMELL THAT BAD. I mean, of course it isn't a pleasant smell, but it is NOT as overpowering as other reviewers have stated.

After leaving the product in my hair for 20 minutes, I hopped in the shower and rinsed for 25 minutes - vigorously. I applied shampoo around 4 times and scrubbed, scrubbed, scrubbed! I got out of the shower (finally), let my hair towel try, and looked at my results.

Wow! I was so pleased. The majority of my hair was returned to a darker version of my natural color (about a dark ash brown) while my roots were much lighter and coppery. To combat this, I purchased a medium ash brown hair dye and applied it to my roots FOR ONLY 3 MINUTES. Trust me, it soaks up fast. I washed out, blow-dried, and found my hair to me a nice, neutral dark brown! Of course, there were still a FEW patches of black throughout, but once styled and hair-sprayed, I could barely even tell.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this product. However, if you do have layers upon layers of black hair dye like I had, you may need to apply the product twice if you desire a lighter color than dark brown. Also, I definitely recommend applying the product to the roots very last if you don't want to worry about re-dying.

Oh, and no added damage to my hair!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2014 10:42:00 AM More reviews by innocencefades

y'all let me tell you. I've been dying my hair for 9 years - every shade imaginable. Went red in January and after 6 months, got tired of it. So, being a huge skeptical, I decided to check out the reviews here for this stuff before trying it. After debating, I picked up two boxes and got to work on my hair.

Now lemme tell you guys - the smell is absolutely putrid, as if you went diving into a pool of sewage, straight from a new york city sewer. It stinks the whole house up and 6 shampoos doesn't pull the smell of hot, rotten eggs out of your hair (so def don't see your boyfriends the day you use this LOL) Those saying it isn't "that bad" are full of it. it absolutely stinks horribly, in a way that would make Satan cry to his mommy. but now, to the good news.

it pulled me pretty damn close to my natural shade - from a reddish violet to a blonde shade that would be easy to dye right over. I long ago forgot my natural color but this seems to have gotten the job done as it said it would. I would recommend a long, long long night of sitting under a cap with your hair doused in the strongest conditioner you can find to kill the smell.

I can't speak for other hair colors - black, green, blue, I have no idea how this would work for y'all. But for me, a redhead, it worked great. But for the weak of heart who cannot handle bad smells, you might wanna skip this unless you're desperate. the smell is an abomination.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I honestly don't know if I should review this or not considering that I couldn't bring myself to put it on my head. I mixed the two containers and got it ready for use, and put a dot on my skin and some on some hair as a strand test.

The smell was so incredibly awful that I chucked it in the dumpster in the alley rather than have the container in my house. I scrubbed it off of my skin and out of the sink where the strand was being tested. It honestly smelled like someone set a skunk on fire.

What ungodly chemicals are in THIS toxic waste concoction? It doesn't even smell like perm solution, which is almost tolerable. This stuff is so gag inducing that there was no way I was putting it in any amount on my actual body or hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 9:59:00 PM More reviews by Megan0327

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been dying my hair since I was 11 & now I'm 17. I've been from highlights to dark brown to black to highlights again to red to black again. I bought this product because of all the good reviews on it & turns out it actually works really well ! I'm back to basically my natural color. It does smell pretty bad but it's bare able. It didn't burn my scalp or anything. The worst part is washing your hair 5 times. But it's worth it !

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by chickennugget

So i had been dying my naturally dirty blonde hair darker (black, brown, pink at one point) for almost a year now and i want to do a bright unnatural colour soon. Before using this product my hair was a very dark brown, almost black. So a lady working at shoppers recommended it so we gave it a try. It stinks pretty bad but it's not bad enough that i couldn't handle it and it took me a while to rinse it all out properly because i have long thick hair but it definitely made my hair lighter and pretty orangey but much easier to do something with. It really dries out your hair so condition it a lot afterwards. It's much better for ur hair than bleach and i would use it again. And don't colour your hair the same day u use it cause it might turn out darker than you want, I'm going to wait a few days

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2014 5:25:00 PM More reviews by AMakeupAddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Today, I found out that I should have never used Color Oops and here's why. A month ago, my hair was bleached platinum blonde. I recently decided to go chocolate brown. Today, I decided to use Color Oops to get rid of the dyes in my hair to bring me back to my bleached hair. I knew I would end up with weird looking, untoned bleached hair, but I had no idea that I should have expected bright orange hair!

I used Color Oops twice and all I got was bright orange hair. At this stage, I could have bleached my hair to blonde, but the only reason I used Color Oops in the first place was to avoid any kind of bleaching. I was expecting to end up with at the very least a bright, canary blonde that could easily be toned down, but that didn't happen. After toning down the orange, it turned into a light brown/faded orange and a hideous one at that. Fed up with trying to achieve blonde, I dyed my hair a dark brown (my natural color) and it looks lovely. Why did I ever dislike my healthy, beautiful dark hair?

So, if you're like me and have brown (or black) dyed hair with bleached blonde hair underneath, prepare to have bright orange hair. You're going to have to bleach it to get it lighter and if you're like me, you're not gonna wanna damage your hair any further with bleach.

IF THIS DESCRIPTION FITS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT USE COLOR OOPS AS IT IS STILL VERY DAMAGING EVEN WITHOUT BLEACH AND WILL TURN YOUR HAIR ORANGE.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Back story: current hair went from brown with highlights to red to bright ass red, and finally at a dark brown. Since I had highlighted my hair, it was too damaged to use regular dye (I.e. 20vol developer) so I went with Demi colors. The Demi was very very rich in color but red became a hassle and very unnatural/unflattering. So I let it fade and put a medium ash brown which was too dark for me.

anyways, I have decided after nearly a decade of dying my hair, I wanted a break and to grow my hair out (ha, we shall see). I decided to remove all the color via color oops.

these are the things I've learned:

it DOES work with Demi dyes
you HAVE TO rinse, rinse, rinse and shampoo or, and this esp applies to dark dye being removed, your hair will revert back to dark. I learned this the hard way. It is NOT the product, it is the left over dye reoxidizing. (one time it was two full days before my hair darkened 3 shades from a light orange shade)

also, it is drying. Invest in deep conditioners and protein treatment (my HG is to apply Aphogee 2 step reconstruct, then use Ion/whatever brand deep conditioner (quality kind) + one n only argan oil oil treatment and let sit under cap on head for 30 mins, your hair will be phenom) u can find those products at sallys for pretty cheap.

also, when dying AFTER, do test strand. IMPERATIVE because the lightest blonde could become black/the reddest red turn brown. Hair does funky things after stripping.

make sure to follow directions EXPLICITLY

and if you're like me and desperate for change without bleaching but worried about the dye reoxidizing, buy two boxes of color oops. My hair was deathly but I used my conditioning treatment and applied the stripper one after the other (within 3 hour period), hair is now in beautiful state.

I ended up with a light brown/copper color which I adore because its near my natural shade. I did not, repeat DID NOT redye. I tested some hair with lightest golden blonde and it turned dark brown after 7 mins. So I'm leaving it as is.

always remember to use best judgment when doing ANYTHING chemically to hair. If your hair is not up to the challenge don't risk it. Its better to have a color you're unhappy with, than no hair at all!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by RoxyRueRue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been playing around with hair chalk to change it up with my gray/white hair. Oh, such fun! But I was having to do it ever day and it was dull and dry, so I though i'd add some soft black lo-lights to my virgin grey hair. I loved it..... for a week or so.

I missed my "canvas" and the thought of regrowth sent me on a search to remove the unwanted colour. I tried a cocktail of: baking soda, dawn, head and shoulders, and vitamin c but to no avail. The colour didn't change at all.

I chose "color Oops" after reading reviews and noting in their "questions and answers" that it would not change grey hair. I also noted that it may not get all the black out of grey hair and leave it a light blonde. At this point it wasn't a deal breaker.

I bought a box at London Drugs for $17.88 and after opening the bathroom window and turning on the fan, proceed to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER (well, I did use a plastic mixing bowl and colour brush for better control of the watery mixture). Yes it smelt, yes I was bored through the long rinsing process and yes I was thrilled that all my black lo-lights where gone!

Hair felt healthy
Soft blonde instead of black
No skin irritation
But I was super smelly at my hot yoga class, oops!