Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

on 8/31/2015 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay ladies and gents here's the real real about this product. So if you're anything like me, you dye your hair a lot. I've been every color in the natural spectrum from bleach blonde to blue black with some unnatural colors in between. So i get a real bad case of color buildup. So you need to understand this. Color WILL NOT lighten pre colored hair. So you will notice that your hair will not go the color of the box. Or your roots will be much lighter than your ends. These are symptoms of color buildup. You've literally just kept dumping color over color and now its all muddy with color. This product is what you want to grab to sort this out. Now understand this WILL NOT BRING YOUR NATURAL COLOR BACK. If you had brown hair and you dyed it black it will lift the black out of your hair but your natural color is gone. You will probably end up with red/orange hair. Basically this cleans the slate to go ahead and recolor your hair. So it will get rid of most of the color buildup so you can lay another color. Follow the directions and based on your hair type you might need to buy more than one box. This will dry out your hair so take steps before and after the process to maintain the integrity of your hair. What I do, because I have bleached the crap out of my hair is that I will spray light leave in conditioner then apply virgin unrefined coconut oil all over my hair focusing on the parts that need more love then wait a good hour or two. The heat of your head will keep the oil in liquid form and condition your hair. After apply the color oops as instructed on the box over the oil. I prefer mixing the ingredients in a bowl and applying it with a brush but whatever you feel more comfortable with. Also if you have a lot of hair I would recommend focusing on the back of you head first. Letting it process and wash it out and proceed with the front of you head. Because time makes a difference and because the hair on the top of your head sees more sunlight so it may be lighter and more faded than the bottom you can keep an eye on the bottom half without worrying that the top of your head is getting too light. Other than the smell which is like really watered down rotten eggs this works.

on 8/13/2015 12:30:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I used this product years and years ago and wasn't that impressed with it, but I also had multiple years' worth of black box dye on my hair, lol. Bought and used it again recently, so buckle up:

I won't ramble on about my hair history. The debriefing: Green hair for a few months, dyed it black, two months later I want to go back to a color close to my natural. Used L'oreal Hair Color Remover, whiiiiich worked in some areas, kind of (meaning yeah it lightened it a bit and removed the black but it was still really dark) and didn't do anything to the rest of my hair except damage it. Picked up two boxes of Color Oops, used the first one last night and I am a happy lil sprout.

The results I got: hair is significantly more stripped (in a good way, haha) than it was before, the black bits that were unaffected by the L'oreal are starting to go an orange-ish light brown.

This stuff does smell, but HOOOOONESTLYYYYYY I've smelled far worse. Yeah, it has a little sulfur smell, but really I don't think it's nearly as awful as some people say it is. Maybe my sniffer is whack, but yeah. I'd rather smell this than many other things. Still, though, use it in a ventilated room or something. And your hair is gonna smell like it when you rinse it out, but it'll fade. I used it last night and today I can only really smell it when I bury my nose in my hair.

The whole rinsing-for-937-years thing is kind of a pain in the arse, but it's what you gotta do. I only made it I think 15 minutes last night, but I think what I'll do next time is just rinse most of it out, then lie down in the tub and swish my hair around for 20 minutes.

Damage-wise, this didn't damage my hair. It felt like straw afterward, but I did a deep conditioner overnight and it feels pretty normal again. I guess I'd much rather have dry hair that I can put moisture back into than have bleach-damaged hair that can't really be saved.

ALSO. I really, really, REALLY REALLY appreciate that Color Oops gives you enough product to actually cover your whole dang head. That's probably my biggest gripe with the L'oreal Color Remover - THEY GIVE YOU SO LITTLE. My hair is shoulder-length, thin-average thickness, and the left side of my head is shaved and I STILL needed two bottles of that. With Color Oops, I was good with one bottle and had some leftover.

Anywayyyy, I'm going to do another go-round with this tonight, and I'll update my review tomorrow with my final results after two boxes.

UPDATE 08/15/15

Did my second go-round with this, and it removed more color :) Light enough to put my next color over it. No damage (it did get pretty damaged from the L'oreal color remover) but this didn't add any further damage, just dried my hair out a bit but nothing some deep conditioning can't fix.

My hair is naturally dark brown. I dyed it black, and got tired of having to redye it every few months, so I decided to strip the color. I left it in for exactly 20 minutes and then washed it out. My hair was extremely dry and damaged. It is also red now!! My hair has never been red!

on 6/2/2015 4:50:00 PM

I love this product and would recommend it. While it will leave your hair feeling straw like, just put a hair mask in and put a cap over your hair and leave in for a few hours or overnight. Don't dye you hair right away. I never have and I just don't think the hair could take it. Each use is said to take each layer of dye, out of your hair. I jump around in colors and I use this a few times before going back blonde. It is was lease harsh then bleaches that will make you hair fall out if used too much.

on 5/15/2015 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This worked wonderfully for me. Took out the black/blue dye in my hair and left it dark brown (my natural color). You really have to follow the directions, it's a ton of rinsing out the hair (I rinsed mine out for about 30-35 minutes) and shampooing. The products smells horrible, like rotten eggs so I took off a lippy for that, and it also left my hair quite dry (no surprise there), but nothing a deep conditioning mask didn't fix. Overall, I would recommend this product. It didn't significantly damage my hair, and it fixed my way too dark hair.

on 5/14/2015 11:19:00 PM

Im not sure if using color oops helped or. Did more damage to my hair, if anyone had these results please let me know.
I used a dark hair color and when it came out to dark I bought color opps. The color came out leaving my hair a blond, redish color. It also made my hair feel almost to soft. I bought another color and recolored my hair. A few days later i noticed my hair wouldn't hold a curl at all and I could feel little pricky hair all over my scalp, then I noticed little hairs sticking up every where as if i had new hair growth. Is thisnew hair growth or did my hair break off? If this has happened to anyone else please let me know.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I will share my "Oops, I used Color Oops!" story with you, dear reader, so that you can avoid wasting your day like I did while also trashing your hair. Now, my hair is not sensitive. It can take hardcore triple-processing abuse. I can scalp bleach it without pain or blisters. And usually, when I'm switching from my natural blonde to jet black and back again, I just bleach and tone it. Somehow, I decided that using Color Oops would be less damaging, so I went for it one terrible day.

It's watery, so half of it probably went down the drain anyways. I couldn't quite tell if it were or were not in my hair, and it smelled like I'd fallen into a latrine filled with egg salad the fumes of which stung my eyes as well as my scalp. I went outside with this drippy, smelly stuff wrapped up in plastic and tried to ignore the situation. I probably made it for about an hour.

I followed the instructions very carefully, scrubbing vigorously and shampooing and standing in the hot water for about 45 minutes until the water heater was done with me, and I dried it and found…

… my jet black hair with ash blonde roots was now canary yellow roots with streaks of random Bozo-the-Clown orange mixed with areas of pure black. It literally looked like I was kidding or pretending to be a "hair disaster" or something. Wisely, I tried a second round which only made the situation that much more sordid, to the point that I wound up looking kind of like a hyperactive Spice Girl on a bad day. After that, I pretty much grabbed the first bottle of dye I could fine, jet black, dyed it, and pretending like the whole thing never happened. The smell lingered terribly in the house, and one of my children vomited from it.

This was my worst experience ever with any beauty product of any sort. And I've used a lot of beauty products. Not only would I not recommend this but I'd think the Better Business Bureau ought to get a piece of this action; it's that bad.

If it worked for you, please let me know if you did something different, or else perhaps you are some sort of holy saint, in which case, you have my great reverence.

on 4/26/2015 2:50:00 PM

I used this product last night for the first time and was honestly really impressed by how well it worked! My natural hair is a sort of dark ash blonde colour that I have been dying spice red for over a year. I like the colour but have gotten really sick of the upkeep and trying to keep my roots coloured and the dye from fading, so have decided to go back to my natural colour with some highlights for spring/summer.

After a recent trip to the beach my hair was a complete mess. New growth showing, a section of "hot roots" that had only been dyed once and that had faded to a weird brassy orange colour, and the lengths of my hair that were stubbornly holding onto the red that had been applied multiple times. I knew that if I tried to dye over it as is, the roots would come out a different colour than the lengths, so needed to even it out.

I have very thick, shoulder length hair and only used one box, but I think I would have had better results with two. I really only focused on the top and back of my hair around the root area and dragged as much of the solution as I could through the ends. I plan to add some balayage/ombre type highlights to the midlengths and ends so I wasn't too concerned about it being super even, as long as the root line didn't look weird. I also didn't pay as much attention to the bottom half of my hair, as I didn't mind if that section was a little bit darker.

Be warned: The reviews are not lying. This product does.not.smell.good. It's kind of like rotten pickled eggs or something similar. Get that stuff on your head as quickly as you can and turn on your bathroom fan. After I applied it, I put my hair in the provided shower cap and then wrapped my hair in a towel to keep the heat in. This, I think, had the added bonus of preventing any drips and keeping the smell contained well enough that I almost forgot about it until I took the towel and cap off after 20 minutes.

I hopped in the shower and rinsed for about 10 minutes, and then shampooed twice with clarifying shampoo while rinsing for another 10 minutes, and then applied some conditioner. Overall, my hair didn't feel more damaged than it was when I started. After I got out of the shower I was pleasantly surprised to see that my root area was completely even. As expected, though, my hair was a really brassy orange colour. My husband called me Vitamin C, but it was honestly exactly what I had expected to happen. I dried my hair on medium heat and then immediately coloured over it with L'Oreal Preference 6 Ombre - Light Brown for 10 minutes. It covered the brassiness nicely and came out an even dark golden blonde colour, which is exactly what I wanted. Most importantly, it is completely even on the top and roots. I don't mind the warm golden colour, but if you don't want any warmth at all, you will definitely need an ashier shade over top. The neutral brown did not neutralize all the orange that was left.

Wil be recommending this product to friends and later on in the summer, I will definitely use again before bleaching to go to a lighter blonde colour! Glad I found this product and that it works!!

on 4/25/2015 5:06:00 PM

They didn't have my normal color so I opted for something I thought would be close. I dyed my hair yesterday with a color called Black Cherry. Was I wrong! It was a complete disaster for me. My roots and greys were a very dark pink and purple. At my age, I couldn't live with that. So online I went to see what I can do, I need a quick fix, QUICK!

I read the reviews on Color Oops. Some were good, some not so good. After careful thinking, I decided I was going to buy it today. It didn't matter if it lightened my hair, I'd just re-dye it. As long as the pink/purple was gone, I would be happy.

Went and bought it today. As I was putting it in, I can see the the awful color was fading. Looked to me like it was working. Horray!

I left it on for 25 minutes (5 minutes longer than the instructions stated). Took the cap off and proceeded to rinse it out. The rinse water had a reddish tone to it so I new the awful color was coming out. I shampooed twice and rinsed for 20 minutes like the instructions stated.

Even wet, I could see all of the color came out. My greys are now a very light brown and the rest of my hair a few shades lighter than my natural color. At this point, I didn't care if it turned my hair blonde, I could always recolor.

I let it air dry and I was astonished. This stuff did its job, WELL! It worked! All that nasty pink and purple were gone, GONE!

After letting it completely dry, I rinsed and shampooed again, just to be extra sure and get some of the smell out. Really, its not as awful smelling as many have said it is.

I've added no conditioner because I intend to recolor with a demi permanent tomorrow. At this point, I don't care if the new color is too light or too dark, it will wash out in 25 washings, then I can go back to my normal, permanent color.

I have nothing to say but good things about Color Oops. It worked well for me and I'm so very happy.

Next time I buy my permanent haircolor, I will not substitute if they're out of it. At least if my normal color fails me for some odd reason, I know Color Oops will be there to correct it.

on 4/14/2015 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product lifted my recently died level 3 hair a little bit I say don't spend your money on this product buy color fix or rusk elimin8 instead