Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

My hair is naturally dark brown. I dyed it black, and got tired of having to redye it every few months, so I decided to strip the color. I left it in for exactly 20 minutes and then washed it out. My hair was extremely dry and damaged. It is also red now!! My hair has never been red!

on 6/2/2015 4:50:00 PM

I love this product and would recommend it. While it will leave your hair feeling straw like, just put a hair mask in and put a cap over your hair and leave in for a few hours or overnight. Don't dye you hair right away. I never have and I just don't think the hair could take it. Each use is said to take each layer of dye, out of your hair. I jump around in colors and I use this a few times before going back blonde. It is was lease harsh then bleaches that will make you hair fall out if used too much.

on 5/15/2015 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This worked wonderfully for me. Took out the black/blue dye in my hair and left it dark brown (my natural color). You really have to follow the directions, it's a ton of rinsing out the hair (I rinsed mine out for about 30-35 minutes) and shampooing. The products smells horrible, like rotten eggs so I took off a lippy for that, and it also left my hair quite dry (no surprise there), but nothing a deep conditioning mask didn't fix. Overall, I would recommend this product. It didn't significantly damage my hair, and it fixed my way too dark hair.

on 5/14/2015 11:19:00 PM

Im not sure if using color oops helped or. Did more damage to my hair, if anyone had these results please let me know.
I used a dark hair color and when it came out to dark I bought color opps. The color came out leaving my hair a blond, redish color. It also made my hair feel almost to soft. I bought another color and recolored my hair. A few days later i noticed my hair wouldn't hold a curl at all and I could feel little pricky hair all over my scalp, then I noticed little hairs sticking up every where as if i had new hair growth. Is thisnew hair growth or did my hair break off? If this has happened to anyone else please let me know.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I will share my "Oops, I used Color Oops!" story with you, dear reader, so that you can avoid wasting your day like I did while also trashing your hair. Now, my hair is not sensitive. It can take hardcore triple-processing abuse. I can scalp bleach it without pain or blisters. And usually, when I'm switching from my natural blonde to jet black and back again, I just bleach and tone it. Somehow, I decided that using Color Oops would be less damaging, so I went for it one terrible day.

It's watery, so half of it probably went down the drain anyways. I couldn't quite tell if it were or were not in my hair, and it smelled like I'd fallen into a latrine filled with egg salad the fumes of which stung my eyes as well as my scalp. I went outside with this drippy, smelly stuff wrapped up in plastic and tried to ignore the situation. I probably made it for about an hour.

I followed the instructions very carefully, scrubbing vigorously and shampooing and standing in the hot water for about 45 minutes until the water heater was done with me, and I dried it and found…

… my jet black hair with ash blonde roots was now canary yellow roots with streaks of random Bozo-the-Clown orange mixed with areas of pure black. It literally looked like I was kidding or pretending to be a "hair disaster" or something. Wisely, I tried a second round which only made the situation that much more sordid, to the point that I wound up looking kind of like a hyperactive Spice Girl on a bad day. After that, I pretty much grabbed the first bottle of dye I could fine, jet black, dyed it, and pretending like the whole thing never happened. The smell lingered terribly in the house, and one of my children vomited from it.

This was my worst experience ever with any beauty product of any sort. And I've used a lot of beauty products. Not only would I not recommend this but I'd think the Better Business Bureau ought to get a piece of this action; it's that bad.

If it worked for you, please let me know if you did something different, or else perhaps you are some sort of holy saint, in which case, you have my great reverence.

on 4/26/2015 2:50:00 PM

I used this product last night for the first time and was honestly really impressed by how well it worked! My natural hair is a sort of dark ash blonde colour that I have been dying spice red for over a year. I like the colour but have gotten really sick of the upkeep and trying to keep my roots coloured and the dye from fading, so have decided to go back to my natural colour with some highlights for spring/summer.

After a recent trip to the beach my hair was a complete mess. New growth showing, a section of "hot roots" that had only been dyed once and that had faded to a weird brassy orange colour, and the lengths of my hair that were stubbornly holding onto the red that had been applied multiple times. I knew that if I tried to dye over it as is, the roots would come out a different colour than the lengths, so needed to even it out.

I have very thick, shoulder length hair and only used one box, but I think I would have had better results with two. I really only focused on the top and back of my hair around the root area and dragged as much of the solution as I could through the ends. I plan to add some balayage/ombre type highlights to the midlengths and ends so I wasn't too concerned about it being super even, as long as the root line didn't look weird. I also didn't pay as much attention to the bottom half of my hair, as I didn't mind if that section was a little bit darker.

Be warned: The reviews are not lying. This product does.not.smell.good. It's kind of like rotten pickled eggs or something similar. Get that stuff on your head as quickly as you can and turn on your bathroom fan. After I applied it, I put my hair in the provided shower cap and then wrapped my hair in a towel to keep the heat in. This, I think, had the added bonus of preventing any drips and keeping the smell contained well enough that I almost forgot about it until I took the towel and cap off after 20 minutes.

I hopped in the shower and rinsed for about 10 minutes, and then shampooed twice with clarifying shampoo while rinsing for another 10 minutes, and then applied some conditioner. Overall, my hair didn't feel more damaged than it was when I started. After I got out of the shower I was pleasantly surprised to see that my root area was completely even. As expected, though, my hair was a really brassy orange colour. My husband called me Vitamin C, but it was honestly exactly what I had expected to happen. I dried my hair on medium heat and then immediately coloured over it with L'Oreal Preference 6 Ombre - Light Brown for 10 minutes. It covered the brassiness nicely and came out an even dark golden blonde colour, which is exactly what I wanted. Most importantly, it is completely even on the top and roots. I don't mind the warm golden colour, but if you don't want any warmth at all, you will definitely need an ashier shade over top. The neutral brown did not neutralize all the orange that was left.

Wil be recommending this product to friends and later on in the summer, I will definitely use again before bleaching to go to a lighter blonde colour! Glad I found this product and that it works!!

on 4/25/2015 5:06:00 PM

They didn't have my normal color so I opted for something I thought would be close. I dyed my hair yesterday with a color called Black Cherry. Was I wrong! It was a complete disaster for me. My roots and greys were a very dark pink and purple. At my age, I couldn't live with that. So online I went to see what I can do, I need a quick fix, QUICK!

I read the reviews on Color Oops. Some were good, some not so good. After careful thinking, I decided I was going to buy it today. It didn't matter if it lightened my hair, I'd just re-dye it. As long as the pink/purple was gone, I would be happy.

Went and bought it today. As I was putting it in, I can see the the awful color was fading. Looked to me like it was working. Horray!

I left it on for 25 minutes (5 minutes longer than the instructions stated). Took the cap off and proceeded to rinse it out. The rinse water had a reddish tone to it so I new the awful color was coming out. I shampooed twice and rinsed for 20 minutes like the instructions stated.

Even wet, I could see all of the color came out. My greys are now a very light brown and the rest of my hair a few shades lighter than my natural color. At this point, I didn't care if it turned my hair blonde, I could always recolor.

I let it air dry and I was astonished. This stuff did its job, WELL! It worked! All that nasty pink and purple were gone, GONE!

After letting it completely dry, I rinsed and shampooed again, just to be extra sure and get some of the smell out. Really, its not as awful smelling as many have said it is.

I've added no conditioner because I intend to recolor with a demi permanent tomorrow. At this point, I don't care if the new color is too light or too dark, it will wash out in 25 washings, then I can go back to my normal, permanent color.

I have nothing to say but good things about Color Oops. It worked well for me and I'm so very happy.

Next time I buy my permanent haircolor, I will not substitute if they're out of it. At least if my normal color fails me for some odd reason, I know Color Oops will be there to correct it.

on 4/14/2015 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product lifted my recently died level 3 hair a little bit I say don't spend your money on this product buy color fix or rusk elimin8 instead

on 4/10/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, I was shocked that Color Oops actually works on hair that is dyed too dark. I am naturally a dark brunette with red highlights and some gray hair around my hairline. I have been coloring my hair for many, many years. I usually use Garnier Nutrisse Medium Golden Mahogany Brown or Revlon Colorsilk Medium Golden Chestnut Brown and I am happy with the color results of both. But this time around I wanted to try a new shade and bought Revlon Colorsilk Medium Rich Brown. Well ,after applying it I ended up with almost black hair. Big mistake. I wanted to get my hair back to a lighter warm chocolate brown shade and decided to try Color Oops based on the good reviews I read here. So off to CVS I went to see if I could find it. Sure enough CVS had it . It cost about $13.99 but I had a 30% off coupon so I got a good buy on the product.

I came home, went into the bathroom and mixed the two bottles it came with and applied it to my hair. It was a little thin and runny so I wrapped a towel around my shoulders to protect my clothes from getting all wet. Next I applied the plastic cap it came with and let the product sit on my hair for 20 minutes. Then I took off the cap and rinsed with warm water for a full 20 minutes (as per the instructions in the box.). Low and behold, after rinsing and drying, my black hair turned into a very light golden brown shade, not red or orange as I was expecting. It was perfect for recoloring to a slightly darker color..

This product smelled like rotten eggs but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people here claimed. Perm solution smells much stronger to me. The thing that concerned me most was how the condition of my hair would be after using this color stripper. To my surprise, there was no damage to my hair at all. It didn't feel course or dry but in the same good condition it was before I started (after using my normal shampoo and conditioner)
This is what I learned from reading reviews and my own experience with Color Oops. First of all, be sure to rinse your hair for a minimum of 20 minutes after using this product. This is very, very important because you want all the dye molecules out of your hair. Second, when choosing a new color to apply, pick a hair color a couple of shades lighter than you want to achieve because Color Oops leaves your hair more porous and it grabs color fast(especially on the ends) A protein filler before recoloring is also suggested and I highly recommend it for optimum results. Also, only leave the new hair color on your hair for 5 minutes or it will come out too dark. Follow these tips and you can get your hair color back to the way you want it.

on 3/30/2015 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have naturally dark brown almost black hair with quite a few grays. I usually dye my hair browns or burgundy shades to cover everything. I've been really sick lately and the upkeep of roots growing in came to be too much. I convinced myself that black was a good option that even with gray regrowth at least I wouldn't have the dreaded line. Well spring is here and I wanted to lighten my hair color without bleach. In order for any other color to take, I needed to remove or lighten the black. A lot of reviews I read for people with naturally dark hair bleached their hair before, I haven't done that in YEARS so I was a little unsure as to whether or not Color Oops would do anything. Well, it did. It did just enough that I needed! No orange or brassiness but I do have a nice reddish brown color to my hair that I would keep if I didn't have grays in between. It even lightened my virgin hair. I put it on the ends first then went back and saturated my whole head. I put the cap on and sat under the dryer for about 15 minutes and then sat in room temperature for another 10 (a total of 25 min). I was disappointed by this time because I couldn't see a visible change. I read about people having their hair go back dark due to not rinsing their hair enough after so I read the directions and rinsed my hair for 20 minutes just like they said. I put a 20min play list on in the shower so I wouldn't be bored. As a shampooed, I paid special attention to the ends where the most dye was. When I came out of the shower and saw my hair, I was ecstatic! Just light enough to take any brown or red that I want. I put a Wen hair mask after even though I don't really feel any damage, partially to cover my bases and partially because of the smell. The smell is why I gave it 4 lipsticks instead of 5. Keep in mind that box colors already show up darker as is but Color Oops warns that it will come out darker than usual due to your hair being more porous after the process. Do a strand or patch test after, even if it's a color that you normally use (just use the hair from your brush after you've used Color Oops and if there isn't any on your brush then take a little bit from an inconspicuous spot on your head). Overall a great but smelly product. I would use it again.