December 21, 2014 | 842 users online

Primer/ Corrector - LORAC - Oil-Free Neutralizer

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2014 2:16:00 AM More reviews by gentlemom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you're very fair-skinned and prone to break-outs, rosacea, or asthma/allergy-driven irritation, buy this product. If you think you can't afford it, save up what you would normally spend on concealers, foundation, correctors, powders, snake-oil, etc. and buy this instead. It will probably save you money in the long-haul AND give better results.

My skin is tricky, to put it mildly, and this product, which I've used for several years now, has been heaven-sent. If I'm putting on full make-up, which I do only a couple times a month, I dab and blend this over Shiseido moisturizer, but just on those areas in need of color-correction, such as the nose and chin. I then apply a light layer of LORAC foundation, using one of her egg-shaped sponges. With reasonably careful blending, this gives me a near-porcelain canvas on which to apply the rest of my makeup. That's a glorious feat, given the big bag of nasty tricks my skin has historically played on me.

And if I'm not doing full makeup, I apply Shiseido moisturizer and then mix one half-pump of this product with Shiseido SPF 40 sunscreen. I then use my fingers to smoothe it over my face, neck, and décolletage. Again, with just reasonable care, this leaves me looking as if I'm not wearing any makeup on my skin and that I have a naturally good (though not flawless) complexion.

I'm a working mother, so time is valuable. A product's effect must greatly outweigh its hassle, or I can't make it part of my daily routine. Indeed, this is the first review I've taken time out to write, but I feel strongly that this product could ease the suffering of other "hot-house flowers", to use a favorite euphemism.

One woman asked whether this product could work as a foundation on her very fair skin. To quote Sarah Palin, "You betcha." Maybe that means I'm a vampire, but 30 years ago I accepted my skin color and stopped harming myself trying to get a tan. Beauty comes in all colors. Pretty is as pretty does.

Let's be kind to one another. We are all family.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by Sun77

Fantastic for getting rid of redness!! Love this product!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by ShawndyLee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this through Hautelook, so I thankfully didn't pay full price. I just received it today, but so far, so good! It applied well on my sensitive, rosacea-prone skin. No irritation! I think this will be my new favorite foundation primer! I uploaded the photo that shows my clean face -vs- the side that I applied only the neutralizer. It makes such a difference on the redness!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by cate1858

I have a naturally red face and really dry skin, especially in the winter, and this product is a godsend! You have to make sure your skin is moisturized, so much that it is almost greasy, otherwise the product will not blend well. I like to mix it on the back of my hand with my extra virgin minerals liquid foundation from the body shop (which is super moisturizing) and then apply it to my face. It actually makes my foundation match my skin perfectly. I used to use the smashbox green primer but it usually didn't cover my redness enough. This stuff works so much better!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by iconoclast

LOVE! I didn't know I had some slightly red blotches until I dyed my hair red. That made them so obvious, it was terrible. This stuff doesn't make my skin look perfect, but it looks so much better. It does a great job of covering my dark circles, too. I no longer have to use a regular concealer. I only gave it four lipsticks because it feels kinda sticky when I put on powder. The brush doesn't glide over my face like it should after using a primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by jessie0000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am super fair skinned and suffer from acne and blothiness. I use this all over my face and dab it on my red spots a little heavier. Over it I use bare minerals and the difference is crazy. I love the combination and am so glad that I found something that not only works but doesn't break me out!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by moment5211

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have run into problems that some reviewers here have had, such as hard to blend with moisturizer, foundation, etc. YES it is a picky product it will NOT work AT ALL with pure gel products. So here I took off a lip but overall it's worth it. Because like other reviewers said, it took a little bit of time and patience to learn to work with it.
I am on my 3rd bottle of it now. My best friend used to work at ULTA part-time and she recommended it to me 2.5 years ago. She put it on my clean face and I did not need anything else - my skin was perfect wearing just this after moisturizing. It really is light and thin, but covers all of the redness and evens out the skin tone. It is kinda a matte finish but still provides a glow
My skin has been on its different phases during the past 2.5 years. I suffer from very bad allergy in the spring. I used it to cover the redness due to coughing and sneezing. In the fall/winter, my skin is dry and sensitive. I use a good moisturizer then use 3/4 of one pump of lorac on my face to even out the skin tone. It evens out my skin tone better than some foundations. For most of the time in the past 2.5 years, my skin was almost perfect except some redness or occasional breakouts so all I need was the Lorac neutralizer since I have fair skin and tend to rash easily and my t-zone is a bit oily in summer. AFTER this all over my face, IF i need more color/dewy finish, I use Lancome teint miracle all over my face. OR, when I have acnes/dark circles, I use lorac, then dab a little concealer(make up for ever, full cover) on the spots, then a little loose powder, then I would be nearly perfect.

And YES, I can imagine people with medium/dark skin would have problems with it since it "whitens" darker skin and will make it look chalky. But for people with fair-light skin, it will disappear on your skin and brighten it.
ALSO, I have found the best timing to apply it is when your moisturizer has just been or almost been fully absorbed. NO it will not cover the pores but it is a great neutralizer for uneven/dull fair-light skin. It does what it claims and it NEVER irritated my skin. And remember - How well it works highly depends on what you use under it.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

I have had this for a week now and I think it is one of the best redness neutralizers I have ever used. The reviews are spot on about the products negatives - bottle is terrible (too much product comes out in a squirt), it is drying and the color would most likely not work for people who have medium and above skin color. I am very fair so this does not wash me out but I can see how it could. I have redness on my nose, top of the cheeks and this really gets it out. I just take a little of the product from the bottle (not the cap), pat it on and it does what it says.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2011 6:41:00 PM More reviews by MIAdelaine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

On my nc25-30 skin this does exactly what it's supposed to - neutralize. I received samples of this and the Make Up For Ever yellow primer & this out performed MUFE by a long shot. I tend to get redness around my nose and the odd totm breakout & this tones down the color so I don't need a full coverage foundation and sometimes can even skip concealer all together. It really helps give a flawless finish to your face, but without having to use heavy coverage products for a much more natural result. It works well with the vast majority of foundations I've tried it with, however there are a couple that didn't look great over it, hence the one lippy off. The only other drawback to this neutralizer is that I can't see it working well on darker skin tones, but my skin rarely gets darker than nc35 so that is just speculation. I have been using it for a couple months now and have had no negative reactions. I highly recommend this for anyone with fair to medium skin with surface redness.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2011 10:17:00 AM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm NC20-25 and this does a great job of hiding surface redness along the sides of my nose, chin, cheeks. I also use it to tone down the discolouration on my eyelids and undereyes. I only need a small bit of concealer when I use this, and I sometimes skip foundation altogether. This stuff dries quickly - be sure your skin is well moisturized or it will flake. You can also mix this with a bit of moisturizer and then apply. It acts as an excellent primer, so I don't need my usual one. One lippie off because like all Lorac pumps this pumps out a little too much product each time and it's a bit messy. I squirt some into a sample jar and use it out of there, and replenish as needed. If you use the entire amount from one pump, you'll look too ashy. Great stuff, will definitely continue to purchase.