October 24, 2014 | 1306 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Sun Protection Lip Treatment SPF 36 PA++

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2014 3:48:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my must haves. I'm a sunscreen fanatic and I wear it rain or shine, everyday, everywhere. Skin cancer runs in my family and so I've been careful to wear sunscreen religiously, even if I'm feeling lazy. This is one of those products that I think runs under the radar because lip sunscreens just don't get a lot of love, and they're easy to forget about or overlook. I've been searching for a HG lip sunscreen for awhile and this is great, especially because of the high SPF. I wear a 60 on my face daily, and I wanted something above the typical SPF 15 for my lips as well.

It's not a lip balm, though I don't find it drying at all and can wear it alone. But it does have a slight white cast, as others have mentioned, so it does look odd if I don't top it with a lipstick or lip gloss. I do like that the white cast tamps down my naturally pigmented lips, which helps a lot if I want to wear a pale lip color on top. If I do wear a lip balm, I put this on first then top it with the balm.

It's thin and has a little slip to it so it feels comfortable. It's not shiny but there's some sheen. I spread it a tiny bit outside my natural lip line too. Never had any issues with sensitivity or irritation, and I have very sensitive skin. No fragrance, and the sun protection is reliable. I've worn it swimming and hiking and it stays put well too.

I hope they never discontinue this, and I highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by productjunkie76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great base for lipstick/gloss. Titanium dioxide. Def white cast so for those w pigmented lips it should help the lip product show true to color. Cannot wear alone because of white cast but that doesn't bother me. Definite repurchase!! Been using for over a month. NO issues w breakouts or any irritation. Love it!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2012 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Veronica2000

I love this product. It is a non chemical sunscreen that is moisturizing. It is white so it looks nice over lipstick (makes a nice light pink). Smells good and is very smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 9:10:00 PM More reviews by RachelEM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product!
I don't use it as a regular lip balm or lip moisturizer, other products are intended for that use. What I DID need is what I have found - something to provide SPF protection for my lips without a terrible sunscreen taste.
It does leave a slight white cast but it goes away quickly and I honestly don't mind it. This has a great high SPF for the lip area and I'm pleased with the protection it offers.
I will definitely purchase again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by MissHiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have read some reviews and I like to clarify a few points for those who are interested in buying this product:

1. This is a sun protection product.
2. This is NOT a lip balm.
3. This should not a replacement for your usual lip moisturiser.
4. All sunblocks products contain Zinc Oxide or/and Titanium Dioxide, which makes them ultimately drying.
5. This also means it will leave a slight white cast. To avoid this put your lipstick on first and clean your lips before reapplying.

I have VERY dry skin and am very sun sensitive. I use this in conjunction with my lipstick and then I wear a moisturising gloss on top. At the end of the day, you must clean your lips, exfoliate the lips and moisturiser.

This is a really very good product. I use it daily from home to work, weekends and holidays. It really does protect the lips. It is not desperately drying. It goes on smoothly. It smells good unlike other high SPF products. I have already repurchased.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 3:43:00 PM More reviews by FeeFee34

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

There are two types of beauty products I have an unhealthy obsession with: lip care, and sun protection. I am extremely picky about both and rarely buy either one without checking the ingredients and chatting with the SAs for a bit to learn more.

The reason this product gets 2 lippies is because it offers the highest BROAD SPECTRUM sun protection for your delicate lip area of any other product on the market. While plenty of lip products flaunt their SPFs, very few block both UVA and UVB rays. This product, however, is 5% Titanium Dioxide and contains SPF 36 to boot.

If only the rest of the product matched the awesomeness of the ingredients.

While others seem to love this product, here's my list of grievances:
1. It gives a milky white cast to your lips, making wearing it alone impossible.
2. The moisturizing aspect is close to non-existent. It's about as light as those little white tubes of SoftLips at drug stores, and even then those last longer.
3. The bright blue packaging is pretty bulky and ugly. I understand that it's made to match Shiseido's sun protection line, but it could be sleeker. Or, better yet, Shiseido should have made it simpler and shaped less like a lipstick so that men would feel comfortable using the product. Both sexes need sun protection.
4. The $18 price is horrendous for the product. It's just a sunblock in stick form. (Which explains why it's poisonous to eat. What lip product is toxic?) I could understand the price if this was elegant and moisturizing and fabulous in every way, but the price is way too steep for a mediocre product.

Basically, what you should know before buying this product is that I found it to be less of a lip treatment and more of simply a sunblock for your lips. I'd recommend still wearing some moisturizing color with this and reapplying often. I think it's too much of a hassle for everyday wear, but this product has the potential to save your life if you're going on an all-day beach excursion, or something along those lines.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Keeshond

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this b/c I tend to trust the research behind Shiseido skincare, and b/c I want a lip sunscreen that actually works. Small, light, portable packaging! The product has a slanted end, so it is easy to apply if you do not have a mirror. Like most efficient sunscreens, this is very opaque. It will wash out the color of your lips, but I'm not talking about some chalky, white cast. Since I have thin lips, I always put some color over this. I spent the money on this b/c I was searching for the most protecting lip sunscreen on the market (this is was the best I could find as of 3-08).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2007 4:33:00 PM More reviews by cloud7

I wish I had this balm on my last vacation. It was the first time that I ever saw someone with burnt lips! I had been using an spf 18 balm and it worked fine for me (I try to stay in the shade anyway)Ö but Iíll be using this one from now on! It provides great protection and goes on smoothly. Itís expensive but will last a long time... and the protection is definitely worth the price. Like the previous reviewer, I give this 4 lippies because of staying power. Still love it!