November 25, 2014 | 1866 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Boots - Matte Under Makeup Base

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by troo12

I mix this with some of Boots Stay Perfect and I love it!!!! It smells weird but other than that it keeps my face very matte which is a very difficult!!!! I apply the primer mix using a face brush and buff it in :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2013 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Helenb99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product does an excellent job at keeping shine at bay and I have tried a lot of products, I have very oily skin, so oily I would normally top up my whole face foundation like 2-3 times a day. Using this product, I no longer have that problem, makeup stays put whole day. I have since discovered the best way to apply this, is to use sparingly, and over foundation, it takes a while to settle on the skin, can look quite chalky at first but I find after an hour or so it settles, no residue. I find that smoothing it over done foundation works best, this will not rub in, you just have to kind of smooth it on in big strokes, then an hour or so after, there is no tell tale sign of the white chalky look. A few of the reviews for this are quite negative, but I guess it depends on how desperate you are to get rid of the oil which for me, I was quite desperate, every break at work applying face full of foundation and sat blotting my face all day with oil control paper.... The initial problems of looking a little chalky for half hour or so are nothing compared to having a face like I dunked it in a tub of oil all day. If you apply this before foundation, no doubt it makes your foundation hard to smooth on/blend in. I was looking for a seriously strong product that would control my oil problem, and I have found it. No more spending all my free time caking my face in foundation 3 times a day. I love this product. The little white residue it produces, I gently dab them off with a face flannel. An hour later, no white residue, my natural oils have blended with this and make up stays perfect and shine free for a long time. Excellent long wearing product, just wish I had tried this sooner, I would be devastated if this product discontinued and I had to start my search all over again. This is a strong product only suitable for people with extremely oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2010 5:45:00 AM More reviews by pololuvr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

these five reviews are pretty darn accurate. this is SUPER mattifying but very very hard to work with.
when i first started using it, i'd squeeze out enough for my entire face and apply like a lotion. i found the best way is to apply is to squeeze small amounts and to work by sections. my forehead and apples of my cheeks get SUPER oily so i only apply it in those parts and i dont bother with my nose or jawline. also as soon as it starts drying i just dont even mess with it anymore. then i apply moisturizer to any parts that look too powdery or white.

as far as mattyfing, it really does work. even though it still feels like i look greasy and ugly when i look in the mirror there isn't an ounce of shine on my face. i guess i wish it made me feel the way i look in the mirror but it doesn't it just feels heavy and gross. overall it works but i think getting the result is too much work, i'm sure there is something better out there, perhaps not as cheap but you get what you pay for

EDIT: so i found that mixing a little moisturizer with it helps it spread much better. I'm actually liking this a lot lately!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/7/2009 3:36:00 PM More reviews by MiraxT

I bought this because I was tired of blotting my nose every hour. I have combination skin with large pores on my nose and it leaks oil. I can soak a blotting paper every hour, that's how much oil I have on my T-zone. It did a pretty good job at hiding the pores on my nose. The product comes in a squeeze tube that has a flat cap so you can store it vertically and the cap twists off very easily. PROS: This product does a good job at absorbing oil, I only had to blot once halfway through the day and the blotting paper wasn't completely translucent for once. You get a lot of product and you don't need to use very much. CONS: It's very thick and white and really hard to blend out. I applied this with my fingers and taking too long to blend it out will cause it set in very cakey and white. Once it sets further attempts to smooth it out will only result in it pearling up and rubbing off. My BB cream looked very odd and streaky over this but it looked better after I used my mineral foundation. I will try to mix this with my moisturizer and see if I can't get it to cover more evenly. Would buy again because it's the only thing so far that could control my oil. Will update if I can figure out how to spread this better.

UPDATE: I mix this with my Olay Complete SPF 15 sunscreen and it goes on much evenly. I had to wait for it to dry completely before putting anything else on. I had to apply my BB cream more carefully than usual. I usually tap the BB cream onto my face and rub it slightly to blend it out but any rubbing now will cause it to rub off. Now I need to put on the mineral foundation or it will look very flat whereas before I could get away with just lotion and BB cream. It also makes me paler than usual, but this gets fixed after the mineral foundation as well. Still, I think the oil control makes it worth all the effort. Upgraded to 4 lippies because it's very usable this way.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2009 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Aque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I picked this up out of curiosity when flying through the UK & while its not the worst decision I ever made, its also not one of the best. This is on the heavy side for a primer & as mentioned below, its thick & hard to blend. part of this at least is because the tube isn't perfectly air tight - the cream has dried out quite a bit since I first bought it, but even then it was on the thick side.

This gives probably the most matte finish to any foundation you put over it that I have ever seen. If you've very bad oilies this is a good pick, but I only ever really use this in the summer when I need my makeup to hold up in the heat or outside. Then what I've found works best is to mix a VERY LITTLE of this into my tinted moisturizer on the back of my hand, apply the mix to my face, top with a fine dusting of powder & leave well enough alone. The little extra added base seems to stop my TM melting off my face in the heat. Because of how matte the finish is if you use it under regular foundation make sure you don't forget moisturizer or your foundation will probably cake. A tiny (seriously tiny) amount of this mixed with eye cream also makes a good eye shadow base. I'll probably slowly use up the tube rather than toss it, just because that's me, but if you're in the UK & need a foundation base, stick to the GOSH one (avail at Superdrug).

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by jessibrianne18

This stuff sucks. It's like wearing a beauty mask. It dries as SOON ast it hits skin so it's super hard to blend, it feels so cakey and looks like you have put on a sheer white beauty mask. Save your money and buy something better. I like clinique pore minimizer much better. It's flesh toned and blends beautifully.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2007 2:35:00 PM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very oily/shiny skin, so I'm always looking for an alternative to my usual mattifier (Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector) that is cheaper and/or in a larger container. While the price for this similar Boots product is lower and the tube is much much larger, this is just not my favorite product.

Unlike the flesh-toned Clinique, which goes on silky and invisibly, this product goes on too thick, too white, and is hard to spread. I have to use a lot of force with a makeup sponge to get the white swirls off the end of my nose. It does a decent job at mattifying, but it's too much work and too prone to error for me to rely on.