Smith's Rosebud Salve Smith's Rosebud Salve (tin)

3.8

Petrolatum, Aromol (blend of 7 rose essential oils), Cotton Seed Oil.

on 5/23/2015 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This is my absolute HG lipbalm! I have very very dry lips. I've tried basically every lipbalm out there, and none have worked as well as this salve. I was hesitant in purchasing as I never really cared for Sephora and thought that you could get products for the same quality at the drugstore. But I finally bought it, and I can say that it was the best decision of my life.
Pros:
-Moisturizes your lips really well
-Slight tint (I'll use this on days when I don't want to wear lipstick but still want slight colour on my lips)
-LASTS FOREVER (I've had this now for about 6 months, and I still haven't hit pan)
-Cute packaging, very vintage

Cons:
-Sometimes hard to open
-Becomes thinner in hot temperatures (it sort of melts? idk)

on 5/15/2015 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really like this lip balm. For years, I have treated my chapped lips with Carmex, Blistex, and every other medicated lip balm you can think of (in addition to EOS, Chapstick, etc...)

While I suspect that this is nothing more than pink-tinted vaseline, it does keep my lips more moisturized and soft than anything else I've tried. Additionally, the packaging is really cute and the price is okay

on 5/15/2015 4:56:00 AM

I picked up this one because of all the good reviews and the lovely vintage packaging- big sucker for those! It does its job, it moisturizes my lips like any lip balms do. However, I find the texture too slippery and very similar to Vaseline, it's thick and doesn't sink it quickly. When I apply it before bed, I still find a thick film of this on my lips in the morning. It feels like it's not doing much to my lips during winter. It works better in summer, or when my lips are not severely chapped. I only use this at night as lipstick/ lipgloss doesn't go on with this lip balm on. I wouldn't repurchase it because I think there are better lip balms out there, but I don't regret trying it out!

on 5/8/2015 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is a product to use sparingly; it's quite thick, as the name would suggest. It can be a bit messy to get out of the tin, but the lovely smooth texture and scent are worth it. I find it stays on my nail beds a while, which may mean I'm using too much, but it's very soothing on dry cuticles and skin.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I too gave into the hype after seeing this in numerous magazines and on other health and beauty retail sites. I'm pleased with the product and keep a tin on my nightstand and use it before I go to bed each night. My lips stay soft and hydrated throughout the day. I have also recently discovered a new use for it - I have mild rosacea on my cheeks, near my nose. This winter my skin was really red, dry and flaky. One day I took a chance and put a very light layer only on those patches while my skin was still damp from washing and I was amazed at the results! The flakiness has disappeared and the redness has almost completely abated! I will continue using it this way. I have no problem opening the tin - it works best if you "unscrew" the lid.

on 4/28/2015 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is effective for moisturizing my lips. I love the cute packaging too!

on 4/25/2015 8:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Vaseline makes a tinted version that is similar on from a color perspective. I don't get the hype that was generated on this. Really eos and most lip balms all kinda work in a similar way and the color here isn't significant. Personally I like using a light color lip product that would be considered a moisturizing gloss or lipstick. There's so much to choose from now from Maybelline, NYX et al. I do use a touch of Vaseline at night in the winter.

on 4/25/2015 9:50:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Best lip product I have ever tried. No other lip balms or products works for dry lips, except for this! One tin lasts for many months. I apply this every night and wake up with smoother and softer lips. Cute packaging but maybe hard to open the tin sometimes. Quite pricey. Definitely repurchase.

on 4/17/2015 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I had always seen this in magazines and those little picture snaps of makeup and skincare items in celebrities' bags. I never really thought anything of it apart from thinking the tin was old-fashioned and cute-looking. I always thought it was just going to be a balm-y type of product, kind of drier in texture, and that it'd just be something like an average lip balm. I was sure wrong! I decided to purchase this one day as I was interested in taking better care of my lips, and of course, this product came up. It was only $6 at Sephora, so I decided to just go for it (especially after trying out the tester version of the strawberry-scented version on the back of my hand).

I really enjoy the texture/consistency of this product: Smooth, goopy, but not in a bad way - if you've ever tried Alba Botanica's Unpetroleum Jelly, it's like that. It's more "smooshy" than petroleum jelly, if that makes sense... more... jelly-like, I guess. I don't know if there is a difference between salves and balms, to be perfectly honest, but I feel like it's not balmy in the way lip balms typically are - hard, dry, relatively tougher to spread. I think this is the key here. It's really easy to spread, and it feels great on the lips! It does make the lips appear glossy/shiny.

I've tried using a lot and a minimal amount on the lips - either amount is effective for instantly making lips soft and supple-feeling. When applied overnight (I like to put on more than I would during the day), lips feel very soft and plump. I like to spray on a thermal spray (La Roche Posay) on my face & lips beforehand, and then apply this to "lock" the moisture in with this thick, occlusive salve.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn't really smell like roses at all. It either smells faintly medicinal or minty, or like nothing at all sometimes. It doesn't linger, though. I really was looking forward to the rose scent, but it's not a big deal. The scent of the strawberry version is nice, but it is borderline too sweet/artificial, if that bothers you. I've heard the strawberry formulation was better, but they don't really disclose their exact ingredients, so I don't know. I think this is a great product, over all. I would definitely recommend trying this, especially if you're accustomed to those balm-y type of lip care products. The texture of this salve makes a huge difference in efficacy!

I resisted trying this because I thought it was just a trend. But I am happy to report I actually liked it. I will say it was a little too oily for me. A little too "slippy". Also i'm not crazy about the packaging. The top was kinda hard to get on nice and secure. It ended up opening up in my purse and got dirty and had to buy another one

Popular Lip Treatments