January 31, 2015 | 1326 users online

Lip Treatments - Smith's Rosebud Salve - Smith's Rosebud Salve (tin)

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2015 4:16:00 PM More reviews by princessmeowmeow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

It's literally just petroleum jelly with rose fragrance in an overpriced tin.
You can buy the same thing as jelly vaseline for much less.

Petroleum jelly also doesn't restore or create more moisture in your skin, it simply keeps in what moisture is already there, so if your lips are cracked in need of healing, it won't help.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2015 11:12:00 AM More reviews by shirl195

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

Yeah the tin jar is annoying but I find most lip balm tins tend to be. this is basically rose scented vaseline but i guess with the cottonseed oil it's slightly less thick. I guess this would last forever if you only use it as a lip balm (which as a lip balm aficionado it works pretty well) but I also use it as a hand creme and it's nice to keep around. I agree its overpriced for what it is but the scent is very nice and you can always find a use for vaseline.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2015 10:30:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My night time and super chapped lip remedy. I always put a coat of this on before bed and wake up with the softest lips. Any dryness is gone when I wake up. Most compare it to Vaseline but to me it's a totally different texture it absorbs better than Vaseline plus it says it's. It's own special petroleum base so they did something to it because I can tell the difference in absorption because I use both. I love the scent so nice and light. This has become part of my bedtime ritual and when I have any dry patches this fixes them so quick. Great product that is a staple in my skincare regimen. Love it! Recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2015 2:22:00 PM More reviews by janicet25

This product is really good although a tad too oily and slippery for my liking at times. It's great to wear on its own sometimes since it's quite glossy and plump and makes your lips kissable on its own. However I like to wear a balm before applying lipstick and this is where its oily-ness gets tricky. Otherwise, it's pretty decent. The scent is nice and not overpowering and artificial, and it glides on smoothly. I feel that it mostly helps to get rid of dry, chapped lips through flaking because I find my dried lips a little easier to peel off and remove after applying it. thankfully I haven't faced any issues yet with opening the tin, although I've seen the tube versions in the local sephora stores here. The tube version may be a better idea when it comes to hygiene though cos I don't believe it's a good idea to keep sticking your fingers in the tin every time you want to apply it. One major gripe though, this is so expensive here! It costs $16 a tin (same for the tube version) whereas it's less than $10 in the US and UK I believe.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by gypsytejas

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This stuff lasts forever, but the Smith's site gives it a shelf life of 30 months after opening. So I tossed my 3 year old tin today. I adore the packaging and scent. But it's basically Vaseline with rose water and color. Maybe I'll put my own stuff in the tin, which is the real reason I bought it in the first place. Being Vaseline it's good for soothing lips, cuticles, smoothing unruly eye brows, the usual. But I still buy it as stocking stuffer gifts for friends and my grand-daughters.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/8/2014 4:31:00 AM More reviews by archt_marj14

Very, very overrated.
I originally got it in Sephora Sg for my sister, who almost always seem to have chapped lips. She used it a couple of times but found that it makes her lips itchy, so she passed it on to me. My lips don't really get chapped but I tried wearing it alone & it's too oily & uncomfortable for me. I also don't feel the need to put it on my cuticles or the like. The tin can be difficult to open at times & it just sat inside a drawer for months until I did a cull & decided to throw it away. Don't waste money in this!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by mkr7654321

This is my favorite lip balm but it is so hard to openů sometimes I just have to give up and use something else because it's impossible to get into

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by annie_b

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a favorite in my household not only for everyday use but also as a balm for chapped lips and noses during cold and flu season. There is nothing magical about it - it's just petrolatum (think Aquaphor) plus cottonseed oil to give it a slightly thinner/oilier consistency, plus that lovely subtle rosebud fragrance. Sometimes simple is better, though.

The tube packaging is easier to use and more hygeinic than the little tin, though I do like the look of the tin!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2014 7:16:00 AM More reviews by cafaye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this for about 2 weeks and I am ADDICTED to the point that I feel lost if I leave my house without it, which is silly because I only need to apply it a couple of times a day to feel the effect. I was previously using Vaseline Lip Therapy, which I loved, but after using Smith's I feel like Vaseline just sat on top of my lips where as this stuff really sinks in and lasts a long time. And I also really like the tin that everyone else seems to despise.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have extremely dry lips and Vaseline does nothing for them. It's entirely possible that if your lips like Vaseline that these will work well for you give it's a petroleum jelly base, but for me these were a miss.

I originally wanted to try this because of all of the raves by beauty editors, blogs, etc. and I have been sorely disappointed. I've gone through half a tin trying the various uses I've seen recommended and haven't found a single one that I would rave about:

Lips - It's a decent product when my lips aren't chapped, but if they are I don't find it helps much. Additionally I prefer my lip balms on the waxy side and this is much more creamy, sort of like Vaseline but a little more penetrating.

Cuticles - I most use this for is for the cuticles on my feet and my toes in general. I can get lazy about polishing them and they can get dry but moisturizing makes them look acceptable. I like that this absorbs quickly and if I'm using it on my toes I don't have to smell the powdery flowery old lady smell of them as much. It's not my favorite cuticle product though, and I prefer using a cuticle oil.

Other - Once upon a time I read a blog post (probably Into the Gloss?) where it said that you can use this to mix with a shadow to make it into a cream shadow. Honestly I'm not a big fan of doing that since mixing non-matte shadows with a cream product results in a metallic or frosty finish. I took it off before I could see how long it lasted but I also expect this would crease.

I'm not particularly keen on the tin either seeing as you have to dip your finger into the product. If it were outstanding, that wouldn't be too much of a problem but I don't think this product warrants the hassle. I guess I'm glad I got it to see what the fuss was about, but if you haven't tried it I don't think think you're missing out.