November 28, 2014 | 889 users online

Lip Treatments - Smith's Rosebud Salve - Smith's Rosebud Salve

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2014 12:32:00 AM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I have extremely dry lips and Vaseline does nothing for them. It's entirely possible that if your lips like Vaseline that these will work well for you give it's a petroleum jelly base, but for me these were a miss.

I originally wanted to try this because of all of the raves by beauty editors, blogs, etc. and I have been sorely disappointed. I've gone through half a tin trying the various uses I've seen recommended and haven't found a single one that I would rave about:

Lips - It's a decent product when my lips aren't chapped, but if they are I don't find it helps much. Additionally I prefer my lip balms on the waxy side and this is much more creamy, sort of like Vaseline but a little more penetrating.

Cuticles - I most use this for is for the cuticles on my feet and my toes in general. I can get lazy about polishing them and they can get dry but moisturizing makes them look acceptable. I like that this absorbs quickly and if I'm using it on my toes I don't have to smell the powdery flowery old lady smell of them as much. It's not my favorite cuticle product though, and I prefer using a cuticle oil.

Other - Once upon a time I read a blog post (probably Into the Gloss?) where it said that you can use this to mix with a shadow to make it into a cream shadow. Honestly I'm not a big fan of doing that since mixing non-matte shadows with a cream product results in a metallic or frosty finish. I took it off before I could see how long it lasted but I also expect this would crease.

I'm not particularly keen on the tin either seeing as you have to dip your finger into the product. If it were outstanding, that wouldn't be too much of a problem but I don't think this product warrants the hassle. I guess I'm glad I got it to see what the fuss was about, but if you haven't tried it I don't think think you're missing out.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by cali5991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my HG lip balm! There is no doubt that Iím in love with it. There are so many benefits of the product. Itís fast, efficient and cheap! I bought the product for $7 at Sephora, but the amount of product that youíre buying is a lot and it keeps for a long time. Not to mention, a little goes a long way!
First of all, the packaging is beautiful. Thatís the one thing that I was drawn to. Itís a vintage-styled tin. A lot of reviewers have complained about the packagingís impracticality, whether it is too difficult to open or unhygienic to apply. If this is a concern for you, opt to purchase the product in a tube, which is available at Sephora as well. This was not a concern for me, which I why I chose the tin, as oppose to the tube.
Secondly, the formula smells HEAVENLY. It has such a beautiful, rose scent. I love anything that smells like roses, which I why I love this product so dearly. The fragrance is not too faint or overwhelming Ė itís just right, but the scent fades over time.
Furthermore, there is a beautiful, pink tint to the formula. When applied, it is not obvious. Regardless, I find the product to be ideal for both men and women.
Of course, this is a good consistency. Itís not as goopy as Vaseline, which a lot of reviewers have been suggesting as an alternative to the product. The formula is thicker, so when applied to lips, it will not move around or transfer easily onto things.
Lastly, the most important thing is its moisturizing properties. I mean, thatís the whole point of the lip balm, right? This balm is the best thing that has happened to my lips. When applied to my lips, it soaks right into my dry skin. My lips feel brand-new Ė soft and supple. I suffer from dry lips because I live in Canada and the winter season is not easy. This product is a life-saver for my lips. Every other product that I have used on my lips doesnít give my thirsty lips the moisture that it needs. This salve does the job!
If youíre looking for a balm that it is fast, efficient and cheap, choose this product. Your lips will thank you. I hope that you all enjoy it as much as I do! I am a Rosebud Salve user for life now!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can't fault the formula at all as it truly works wonders to treat and prevent dry, chapped lips. It's better than vaseline (absorbs rather than just seals), Carmex, blistex, soft lips, baby lips, nivea, lipsmackers etc. In fact I wonder if the people saying it's just veseline have actually tried it or are just reading the ingredients? I suffer extremely dry lips due to treatments, weather and less water intake than I should so I apply balms all day long. Previously the best products out there were paw paw ointments which would buy me a few hours each application, but despite being initially skeptical I must admit rosebud salve is even more effective. Once in the morning and once at night is all I do now, and I would do more but...

The packaging is really that bad. I cannot open the tin at all, and I'm no goose. No amount of prising or patience worked and my partner had to use his tools to bend it off as none of my friends could open it either. I thought I got a dud as I could open the tester in the store without any trouble, but reading the reviews here it seems very common to struggle with the tin. They don't sell the tubes in my country and I'm not buying another tin. I would love to carry it around to apply throughout the day but I can't as the lid has been distorted in the removal process, so it sits unsealed by my bed. It hasn't dried out and it won't because it's an occlusive that is constantly losing layers to my lips.

It pains me to give such an amazing product only 3 lippies, but that tin is a total deal breaker. If I can order tubes into my country, I will happily do so in bulk, it's that good. Until then, it's back to paw paw ointment, which I highly recommend to anyone who loves this but can't deal with the packaging or distribution.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by chemyst

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Everyone who loves the product but hates the tin: Sephora has the original formula in tubes online if they don't carry it locally. That packaging is much like the Carmex tubes with an angled tip, and MUCH better than the tin, IMHO. A quick google search shows they have other formulas available in this packaging as well. Well worth the extra effort and cost of shipping if you are like me, a bit of a germaphobe about dipping your fingers in a tub.

That said, I've bought two tubes of this now, the second because I thought I lost the first and missed it so much no amount of Carmex, Softlips or plain Vaseline could make up for it. It's light like softlips, but goes on like and has the same beauty applications as vaseline with added bonus of a light rose perfume.

I honestly don't find it that great for chapped lips. The version I have in the tube is far too light to be much help if they are too far gone. What I do like it for is minor irritations, bits of chapped skin on my face and my cuticles. Unlike others who have found this too oily, I actually find it to be very light for a petroleum based balm, and as such I find it works a bit better on facial irritations without being being too greasy and setting off a breakout. (for the record, we are talking about a small areas of the face, like a tissue-chapped nose or a flaky spot from too much acne cream on the skin around a pimple, not my entire face, it would be far too heavy for that kind of application)
I personally adore the authentic rose fragrance of the original formula, but some might find it off-putting on their lips and prefer the flavors.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by lydiaie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

this is overpriced vasaline. what a stupid hyped up product. if you want to hydrate your lips this is hardly going to help, but it can be used to stick down glitter and turn eyebrow powders into a gel consistency...apart from that it is too oily and not emollient enough to moisturise you. as soon as you hit the tin too hard in your bag (when youre walking around and It bangs against a wall or something) the tin is closed shut FOREVER!! beware

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 12:51:00 AM More reviews by Mooberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

Yes, it is over priced for what it is. But I absolutely love this product and I intend to buy a back up for the office next week. This is the only lip balm I actually miss, to the point I will actually clean until I find it.

I love the smell, love the packaging, love everything, except the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by winnster

I don't get the hype over this product. its basically Vaseline in a tin with a little bit of rose fragrance. The ingredient listed first is petroleum (=Vaseline). So this is essentially overpriced Vaseline.

The packaging sucks. the product is so goopy that when applied will remain on the finger. It feels awful on the lips, isn't very moisturizing and doesn't last very long on.

The only thing that this lip balm does right is the finish. It smooths over my lips and reduces the appearance of fine lines. the result is an ever so slightly rosy smooth glossy pout.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2014 11:52:00 PM More reviews by spunj

This product is great not only for lips but as an all-purpose moisturizing balm. I suffer eczema and chapped lips 24/7 as well as dermatillomania (meaning I pick at my skin - especially the dry peeling bits on my lips which contributes to the dryness) and upon my very first usage of this product I was amazed by how it soothed my lips as well as moisturized them. The texture is so smooth and the finish is nice and glossy. It also gives them a beautiful pink hue and smells amazing. The packaging is a bit tacky though as tins tend to loosen the more you use them but aside from that the vintage appearance is very attractive and I am also pleased by how much product they give you. Overall I am very happy with this product and would definitely repurchase it.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by Mimiyu23

I like this for my dry patches,and cuticles;) but not so much on my lips. I find that the scents is to much for me and i prefer the minted rose one!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/11/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by formika8476

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Another scented petroleum product. Good if you want a prettier tin of Vaseline, which has its uses. Packaging can be iffy-- sometimes the lid is hard to pry off, other times it comes loose.