Smith's Rosebud Salve Smith's Rosebud Salve (tin)

3.8

Petrolatum, Aromol (blend of 7 rose essential oils), Cotton Seed Oil.

on 4/17/2015 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I had always seen this in magazines and those little picture snaps of makeup and skincare items in celebrities' bags. I never really thought anything of it apart from thinking the tin was old-fashioned and cute-looking. I always thought it was just going to be a balm-y type of product, kind of drier in texture, and that it'd just be something like an average lip balm. I was sure wrong! I decided to purchase this one day as I was interested in taking better care of my lips, and of course, this product came up. It was only $6 at Sephora, so I decided to just go for it (especially after trying out the tester version of the strawberry-scented version on the back of my hand).

I really enjoy the texture/consistency of this product: Smooth, goopy, but not in a bad way - if you've ever tried Alba Botanica's Unpetroleum Jelly, it's like that. It's more "smooshy" than petroleum jelly, if that makes sense... more... jelly-like, I guess. I don't know if there is a difference between salves and balms, to be perfectly honest, but I feel like it's not balmy in the way lip balms typically are - hard, dry, relatively tougher to spread. I think this is the key here. It's really easy to spread, and it feels great on the lips! It does make the lips appear glossy/shiny.

I've tried using a lot and a minimal amount on the lips - either amount is effective for instantly making lips soft and supple-feeling. When applied overnight (I like to put on more than I would during the day), lips feel very soft and plump. I like to spray on a thermal spray (La Roche Posay) on my face & lips beforehand, and then apply this to "lock" the moisture in with this thick, occlusive salve.

One thing I noticed is that it doesn't really smell like roses at all. It either smells faintly medicinal or minty, or like nothing at all sometimes. It doesn't linger, though. I really was looking forward to the rose scent, but it's not a big deal. The scent of the strawberry version is nice, but it is borderline too sweet/artificial, if that bothers you. I've heard the strawberry formulation was better, but they don't really disclose their exact ingredients, so I don't know. I think this is a great product, over all. I would definitely recommend trying this, especially if you're accustomed to those balm-y type of lip care products. The texture of this salve makes a huge difference in efficacy!

I resisted trying this because I thought it was just a trend. But I am happy to report I actually liked it. I will say it was a little too oily for me. A little too "slippy". Also i'm not crazy about the packaging. The top was kinda hard to get on nice and secure. It ended up opening up in my purse and got dirty and had to buy another one

on 4/7/2015 12:01:00 AM

I wanted to like this so bad! Im obsessed with anything rose scented and liked the way that this gave my lips that slight pinky hue but not too overdone.
BUT, every single time I used this I get those really annoying small under the skin zits that are right on the edge of your lips and hurt like hell!! For the longest time I couldn't figure out why and where they were coming from and then I realized it was only after i had used this product. I'm bummed, guess I'll be giving this to a friend! if anyone else is experiencing this problem i would recommend using Vaseline lip therapy rosy lips - love it so much more and it doesn't break me out :)

on 4/5/2015 8:38:00 PM

Basically Vaseline, but rose scented. Perfection <3

on 3/28/2015 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This product is Vaseline on a really cute tin with rose drawings and rose scent. I only use it before I go to sleep and maybe in the center of my lips if Im using a matte lipstick and want to add some shine. I bought it because of the good reviews but I dont find it does anything special for me. The only reason why I would buy again is for the vintage packaging. Im a sucker for those.

on 3/23/2015 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Pros:
+ Keeps your lips moisturized, soft & hydrated instantly.
+ Cheap
+ Can be used for long time.

Cons:
+ Really hard to OPEN ( never bring it out, use only at home )

on 3/20/2015 1:10:00 AM

It's vaseline that smells like roses...for like $8 cnd
It's a cute product, I like the smell and it is moisturizing, but you can get a huge tub of vaseline and it works just the same.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I first got this through a deal on Groupon. It has a lovely scent, and it worked wonders on my lips (especially during winter). I only spread a thin layer each time I apply it on my lips, so one tin can last me for months. Most of the time I just apply it on my lips like lip gloss, but sometimes I would use it after applying lipstick to keep my lips moisturized. When the deal appears on Groupon again, I bought three more tin cans (the original Rosebud, Menthol and Eucalyptus, and Rose and Mandarin). It's fast becoming a constant in my cosmetics bag.

on 3/6/2015 3:36:00 AM

This product fixed my lips!

Yes, it includes petroleum jelly. No, petroleum jelly doesn't add moisture.

What petroleum jelly does is seal moisture in. The second ingredient is cottonseed oil, which does moisturize; then, the petroleum jelly keeps the moisture in.

Adding too much moisture to your lips can exacerbate a cycle of dry lips, because your lips rely on having more moisture. This combination of cottonseed oil + petroleum = moisturizer lips that stay moisturizer.

I also rarely have problems with the tin. They do produce this formula is a tube, which is sold on Amazon -- which I will probably get next time I place an order. This is an excellent product; I also use it on my cuticles, hands, etc. HG!

on 2/22/2015 3:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This has become my go-to lip stuff. Lately, I've had really dry/cracked/bleeding lips, and it seems like anything I try only makes it worse. I tried this after hearing it was a cult favorite (and a cheap one!), and I'm very impressed. The tin can be pretty difficult to open, especially if you try to open it after putting on hand balm. But you get used to it. It's inexpensive, and quite honestly, I haven't found anything else that helps keep my lips moisturized. You get a TON in the tin for what you pay. I've had mine for maybe four months and I might be halfway through the tin. I'll be coming back to this.

Popular Lip Treatments