November 20, 2014 | 1957 users online

Highlighters - Bobbi Brown - Sandstone Shimmer Brick Compact

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2008 6:25:00 PM More reviews by BeautyDiva2006

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love BB shimmerbricks! I own, sandstone, pink quartz, apricot, bronze and rose shimmebricks.I always add one as a setting powder and finishing touch to my blush which is usually a MAC blush from my palette. Sandstone is great to wear over any colored blushes to give it a sheen.Makes me instantly look like I have an ethereal glow about me! I use my flirt skunk brush and swirl a bit and tap off the excess lightly buff it into my cheeks and dab on my nose, forehead and chin. Instant perfection to my makeup routine!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am using this as eyeshadows. The 'stripes" have so much pigment! I agree with a previous reviewer who said the top stripe is like Stila Kitten, thats exactly what I thought. Now the second to last rose bronze stripe is my favorite but I do think all the colors are gorgeous, just tons of color pay off and very metallic. Its great as a bronzer / golden highlighter for my super pale skin but I prefer it as shadows. Great for the smokey but summery bronzey brown smokey eye look! Pricey but worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2007 1:54:00 AM More reviews by LaurelLee123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this. I have pale Asian skin and it shows up like a glowy bronzer. But I love it as eyeshadow. The darkest shade goes smoothing and beautifully on my lids, I have been using it everyday!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2007 6:45:00 PM More reviews by tsaraya29

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not a good idea for deeper skin tones. This looks horrible on me (NC50), I was hoping it would work as a good bronzer/highlighter but I applied one stroke and knew it was all wrong. It goes on as a metallicky, chrome-like silver color and it seemed to go on very heavy even though I used the bobbi brown face blender brush. This is going back ASAP.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2007 10:58:00 AM More reviews by stilagrrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was worried this might be too frosty/shimmery, but it gives my NC20 skin a subtle healthy tan glow when applied with Bobbi's face blender brush. One could argue that a shimmery bronzer would give the same effect but this seems much glowier than a regular bronzer, shimmery or not. It's pigmented enough to show up on me but I'm doubting it would provide any color payoff to medium and dark skintones - it would probably be just a beigey-gold highlighter. So if you don't have fair skin I'd try this out to see if it shows up before buying it; otherwise, this is a great buy, especially for summer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2007 9:51:00 AM More reviews by ziebam

I was let down by this product. Its so beautiful when you see it. Its a 5 shade highlighter compact. I have the bronze and the rose and apricot. The others i found lacked pigment (beige and pink) or were too pigmented and shimmery (brownie and peony). This one is another one that lacks pigment and really is shimmery. you get shimmery champagne, shimmery peachy brown, shimmery bronze , shimmery rosy-brown, and shimmery chocolatey brown. All 5 make a stunning compact. however on my nc30 light olive complexion, it just goes on shimmery gold. As shadows, they really dont show up at all except for a soft golden shimmer with a hint of brownish pink. Really cant see it at all. So I tried it as a highlighter/bronzer. Not enough pigment as a bronzer and as a highlighter its just a little too much shimmer/frost. Looks unnatural. I think this color just doesnt work with my skin coloring. And for between $35-$38, its just not worth it. Shame since its so pretty in the compact!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2007 2:32:00 PM More reviews by Blackberry_Girl

This is the newest Shimmer Brick compact, new for summer 2007. This is my first BB purchase. Based on all the feedback I read on the shimmer bricks in general, people seem to have a love/hate relationship with it...they either love 'em or they hate 'em. I think it takes some experimentation to see what brushes and applicators work best to get the results you want from the product.

This can be used as a highlighter, eyeshadows or if you are fair enough, perhaps a bronzer. Using any soft brushes, this goes on sheer and shimmery. Want more pigment and less shimmer, use a stiffer applicator or even use your finger. The 5 colors are as follows:

* frosty taupe that reminds me of Stila Kitten but perhaps a bit warmer.

* frosty peachy brown - pale

* shimmery medium-brown-bronze (gorgeous!)

* frosty rosy-brown

* brown-bronze

All of the colors on their own are lovely eyeshadows. Using an eyeshadow brush they go on VERY sheer, yet pick up TONS of shimmer. If you want to see more color and less shimmer, I recommend using one of those eyeshadow spongy applicators, Q-tip, or your finger.

If using any soft brush it picks up way too much shimmer and not enough color so it was a bit of a balancing act to find a way to get what I wanted out of it. I aplied this over a warm blush using a kabuki brush. I dusted it over the entire brick, tapped it off get rid of some of the lose shimmer and then swiped it over my blush. It added just the right amount of warmth without too too much shimmer.

I think anyone who buys this will need to play around with different brushes with this - too soft a brush, expect shimmery sheer color results, but I think the colors come out to play if you use something that will pick up the color better. I'm glad I got it and think it will be a fun item to have for the summer months. continued >>

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No