Smashbox Fan Brush #22

3.7

on 5/9/2013 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I like using this brush for blush, especially really pigmented ones that require a light hand. The finish it gives is very natural and well blended. Unfortunately the ferrule on mine became loose after less than a week of use, so I'm sending it back. I'm not sure whether I will exchange it or get my money back. Maybe I got a bad brush or the quality of Smashbox brushes are not so good.

on 4/12/2013 5:20:00 AM

Amazing brush, it works really good with the smashbox bronze, but when I tried it with a clarins bronzer it didn't pick up allmost any product...don't mind that though, coz I decided to stick to the smashbox bronzer.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I initially bought this to brush away fallout, and it's not particularly effective for that. However, it's the perfect tool for applying blush. These days all of my blushes are NARS and some of them are a bit persnickety and require light & precise application.

This brush is very sparse and small (as fan brushes go), and is exactly the width of my cheekbones. It doesn't pick up a ton of product, making it perfect to build & blend blush color with precision. It also doesn't hold a lot of product, so I can use it for every shade without having to clean it in between. I can use a dark matte one day and a light shimmer the next, without the products getting mixed together.

on 5/25/2010 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got this as part of a Smashbox Glambox set. I brushed this brush aside as worthless for quite a while. Then, I purchased Nars Dolce Vita and needed a brush that would give a light touch. I was afraid it wouldn't work for lighter colored blushes, but I was wrong. This is the only blush brush that can make orgasm look good on me. It works with almost every blush, except the very lowly pigmented ones and Mac's mineral blushes. I love Nars and Shu Uemura blushes. This blush is the perfect companion and has become the only brush I use for blush. I have a MAC 165, 188, 187, and 168 that I have completely neglected. I love how easy this brush makes blush application. I just run this brush over my blush, pat onto my cheeks and sweep up to blend.

on 2/14/2010 5:53:00 PM

This brush was sold to me by a Smashbox SA as a blush brush. After reading other reviews here and realising people are using it for removing excess eyeshadow/powder, I'll start using it that way because it is a terrible blush brush - not enough bristles, rough/wirey bristles, doesn't pick up or deposit blush at all. Wish I had returned it, too late now, but glad to find another purpose for it.

on 9/9/2009 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This brush does its job well. I use it to dust fall out from eyeshadow application, highlighter and sometimes blush. For blush application, I find that the brush picks up the powder and then deposits it right on your face... which is great but because it is so flimsy, there is no control and I actually get too much blush on my cheeks, which is why I don't use it for this purpose anymore. For highlight and excess powder removal, it does the job well, though I can't imagine any other fan brush (regardless of quality) not doing as good a job. While this is a good brush, it is not anything special. I would not repurchase.

on 3/15/2009 2:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I've been looking for a cheap fan type brush but unfortunately, I didn't find any that was good. :( So I picked up this Smashbox one instead. It's about $20 and I wasn't too crazy about the price but I suppose I had to pay it if I wanted a fan brush. My main purpose for using this was just to apply powder highlight onto my cheekbones like how Carmindy does it on What Not to Wear. This was alright but I found that it wasn't worth the price I payed. Yes, so this is basically a so-so product but nothing much to rave about.

on 1/2/2009 8:14:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I love this brush, and it being 18 bucks, makes me use it for more than just taking excess powder away.
I love this for applying a bit of bronzer, very pigmented blush (so that it doesnt come out too crazy) and for higlighting my cheeks it's the best.

Great brush.

on 7/19/2008 12:50:00 PM

I thought I would like this brush. I hate it. I do not even think the quality is on par with Smashbox. I love their line and other brushes but this one is horrible.

on 1/12/2008 11:41:00 PM

Fan brushes are mainly used for dusting off any excess powder or shadow that may have fallen the face, but I like to use this as a blush brush too since my blushes are ridiculously pigmented and I have to tread lightly. This brush is well-constructed with soft bristles (not sure what they're made out of) and it hasn't shed much at all. It comes with a nifty little plastic thing over the handle that you can slide up over the bristles so they'll retain the fan shape.

Popular Makeup Brushes