April 21, 2014 | 1127 users online

Self Tanners - Hawaiian Tropic - Firming Island Glow

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2008 9:18:00 PM More reviews by philiascorpio88

I haven't used this product for more then a few days, so I'll have to come back in about a week or two and tell it better..but so far I like it. The colour is subtle, the smell is pleasant, and it has been firming/moisturizing my skin which is normal to dry from specific times. So far it's the best self tanner I've tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 9:01:00 PM More reviews by j105

I love this product. I wanted a self-tanner that doesnt leave those patchy spots when you stop using them (i hate that!) it looks like you have a skin problem or something. It just gradually fades away. It gives you a great brown shade instead of orange. And it doest stink like others out there iv tried. Id definately buy this again....if i could find it! I can't find this anywhere! I had to shop online and spend alot more. But its definately better than the rest of the other self-tanners out there. As for the firming, im not sure it has done anything, maybe cause iv only used it 2 weeks.....*UPDATE* I liked this product because it wouldnt flake away noticeably like other self-tanners but i can never find it anywhere so i got Olay's self-tanner...its awesome, if u stop using it, it just gradually fades away and smells really good!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2007 2:54:00 PM More reviews by jleo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, I got this when Target discontinued it so I bought I think 25 tubes for $2 each. If you can get it on sale, go for it! I am not a firming cream expert but I do see firmer skin, less cellulite. I think you can get a darker tan elsewhere, but I use this every day and definitely look tan. Not orangey, better scent than most. I really recommend this product, along with the Vaseline one. I haven't had any negative effects.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2007 10:09:00 PM More reviews by luckycorvettegrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've used many brands before and a friend recommended the Hawaiian Tropic brand so I decided to try it. I've been using it for about two weeks now and have had mediocre results.

After a day or two, I definitely noticed some color. It's been about a week, and it compares to Jergens in the amount of color that has appeared. It's not too orangey- it's hard to get away from this effect when it is a sunless tanner, and it has a natural look to it. It's almost similar to the color one would get in a Mystic Tan at a tanning salon.

According to the packaging, it's suppose to result in noticeably firmer skin as well as enhancing the skin's suppleness and elasticity. I haven't nocited too much of a difference when it concerns firmer skin. I basically use this product on my legs, and have better results with a regular moisturizer that has more collagen, elastin and caffeine when it comes to firming.

As far as suppleness? My skin isn't dry, but it definitely isn't supple. I find that a lot of self-tanners tend to dry the skin out, and while this one doesn't dry it out completely, it definitely isn't as effective in locking in the moisture and helping heal any dry skin.

There is still a fragrance to the lotion- I didn't notice too much of the 'tropical, exotic, and natural flora' extracts peeking through the scent. It says it has a green tea fragrance, but I didn't notice it- I noticed the typical sunless tanner fragrance.

The one thing that really bothered me about the lotion was the fact that it dried my hands out to the point that they flaked a lot, even after I followed the directions to wash my hands after using the lotion. I want to accredit this to the high amount of modified corn starch, since this can be really drying.

For the most part, it ranks up there with many other sunless tanners, and better than some. But, as far as firming and moisturizing, it's just mediocre.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2007 2:04:00 PM More reviews by WhereAmI

I'm a big fan of the original Island Glow because it produces a really natural color on me without the usual self-tanner smell (both original and firming have a fresh and summery green tea scent). This lotion dries as quickly as the original, but it's thicker and more moisturizing and I do think it firms a little. I like the color this firming version gives, as it seems to be a little more brown than the original. *EDIT* This product firms a lot! I ran out and went back to my Avon Cellusculpt and noticed more dimples. Yay, Hawaiian Tropic!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2007 4:38:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is just as good as Hawaiian Tropic's original Island Glow but with the added benefit of firming. What make Island Glow my favorite sunless tanner is the scent, a nice, light floral, rather than the heavy chemical smell of Jergens, Neutrogena, and others. This makes my light (with an olive undertone) skin golden, not orange or too dark in just three to five days. No streaking either. I like the added firming element, though I have not noticed much difference on my thighs, other than the gorgeous color - which is a good camoflaugue. I used Firming Island Glow in Medium.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2007 10:20:00 AM More reviews by kml636

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was a great lotion! It smells great and goes on easily, gave me a great tan color on my very pale skin. As for the firming properties, I don't know how firm my skin was before but I think it definitely helped. It's not my holy grail for self tanners but I would definitely recommend and buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2007 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Kat2004

I liked this tanner because it gave my natural tan a boost. I can't comment on how it is on pale skin because I did already have a tan, but I noticed that it did give my tan a nice boost and the smell wasn't offensive, i detected a little bit of DHA smell but it only lasted a few mins and faded away. I do agree with the review below abdout how how it is a bit thick and tacky for summer, and has for firming.....I can't tell. There was no streaking with this product, and the price was good at about $5 CAN. I wish they'd make this is in a dark skin formula.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2007 12:04:00 AM More reviews by AmyWolfgang

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Really nice lotion. I like the green tea scent but the formula is a bit thick for a summertime lotion. Also I bought this as a light self tanner and was really disappointed. I had previously used the Vaseline tanner/lotion and had color within a couple applications. This still took at least 4 or 5 applications to even see a hint of color! I'm very pale so I'm sure this lotion wouldn't work on someone darker. I'm still applying it everynight in the hopes that it will even my skintone and small spider veins out.

This isn't super firming, but I have noticed a difference in the texture of my skin. Very smooth. I definitley won't repurchase and I'm glad I had a coupon for this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by dmiller_34

I bought this because it was on sale ($3.50) and who doesn't need a little extra firming on vacation? well i am not sure how well it firmed but it did give me a little bit of a tan and it smells great! I had multiple people compliment me on my "perfume" when all i was wearing was the lotion. This never happens with other self tanners. for that reason alone i will buy again. This is also a bit thicker than the regular Island Glow (at least from what I remember) and it made my skin nice and soft.