August 22, 2014 | 1741 users online

Eye Primer - Fyrinnae - Silken Eye Shadow Base

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2008 5:37:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I am always on the run and I tend to keep my makeup prodcut up to a minimum...
I got this product thanks to a generous lady so I decided to try it up....
First, I do not like the the tube with the rollerball ... I found it unpractical (sometime product does not come off properly). Then you have anyhow to blend it with a brush (or your finger) on the lid.
It gives a lovely base for the eyeshadow. For me, that's it.
I did not notice any major improvement on e/s staying power (my e/s are then tremendously good alone if there is no difference with this primer!!).
And to me, it just adds up 2 minutes in the morning on my make up routine. That's too much.
A no buy for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/24/2008 10:59:00 PM More reviews by phloxlombardi

Fyrinnae's eyeshadow primer is a rare miss for them. One thing I will say is that I vastly prefer the packaging of fyrinnae's primer to UDPP. It's much easier to use and there is way less potential for waste. Unfortunately, UDPP and About Face's primers are both superior to this one, with UDPP coming out on top by quite a bit. Fyrinnae's primer goes on chalky and takes awhile to blend, and I get creases after a couple of hours, even when I'm just sitting around and not perspiring or anything. Any kind of real exertion or heat - forget it! I'm glad this primer works for some people, because the price and packaging are definitely right, but I am not a fan. Too bad because fyrinnae is probably my favorite cosmetics company!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/23/2008 9:47:00 AM More reviews by kellybella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This helped keep my eyeshadow from creasing about as much as using plain ol' concealer on my eyelids...my eyeshadow creased HORRIBLY after a couple of hours. UDPP works much better! I have very oily eyelids and I thought that maybe if I tried the Silken Eye Shadow base in the winter that maybe it would work better...it didn't. This was a waste of money.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by kadydid

I actually love this product!! I have both the Urban Decay and the Laura Mercier (sorry, I am not up on my abbrev.'s yet!) and love this so much more than either!! I am very fair, yet this still brightened my eye area immediately-looked much more "rested" upon application! Also, I have LM and Tony and Tina eye shadows that "should" be very intense, but have never been so on me--well, with this primer on-WOW!!! the colors were amazing-so intense, true to color (in the pan), lasted all day, blended unbelievably beautifully!!! My LM eye colors tend to be very difficult to blend-this made them a pleasure to work with!! The price was dirt cheap, application was easy!! The LM primer was so dark, it actually changed the colors of eye colors, while making blending very difficult, while the Urban Decay burned my eyelids. Obviously, this is my clear winner!! Everyone is obviously different, but IMO this is definitely worth a try!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2008 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Iammelody

All I need to say is that I applied this along with my e/s at 9:00 am, and it only started to crease the slightest bit by 1:00am. Thats 14 hours! If I didn't take it off at that time, it would of stayed there until I woke up the next morning.
I have moderately oily lids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 3:50:00 AM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have both UDPP and this. The difference is the texture of the formula and the application. I think for overall staying power, this one actually does work better. But, you have to use it differently. UDPP is creamier and you dab a little on your lids with a wand. This, you apply with the rollerball and you need to be sure it's shaken up first. Apply sparingly. Texture is a bit chalky & dry. Gently blend in with your fingertip. I can't stress enough, not to overapply. Lighter in color, than UDPP and might have a slight eye brightening effect. My oily lids cause some shadows to take a beating, especially lighter ones or the crease colors, and this one stood up to both a lighter shimmery all over wash with duochrome, but also only a medium crease color. Even my eyeliner stayed put much longer. I've used this enough times to know, that it is super effective. It's just not as soft and plushy feeling as the UDPP. But, I like that you can see how much is left and I for one, prefer the rollerball application over the wand because I think much less product is wasted. Also, this one is much more affordable and I think it's even more effective. Definitely check it out!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2008 12:21:00 PM More reviews by AlyHeartsYou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

As a devout, but broke UDPP user I decided to give silken eye shadow base a try. The first one I got, nothing would come out of the rollerball package at ALL. But Fyrinnae rectified this quickly by sending a replacement. It is still very difficult to get the product out of the tube with the rollerball and I took a lippie off for that. I took another lippie off because the wear on this is only about 5 hours or so max, where I get 10+ with UDPP. I have oily eyelids, for reference. One thing where I do think silken eye shadow base is superior to UDPP is just that they have a light and dark color choice. UDPP is supposed to be translucent but I could see how it would slightly tint darker eyelids to a lighter shade, so it's nice that fyrinnae gives that option.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/29/2007 1:40:00 PM More reviews by ttnguy

It's nice for not so bright colors and no sparkles, because this primer don't grab pigments too well. I could've worn this underneath my EDM Rare Silk, but unfortunately it creases after a few hours also.
Package is annoying with liquids, because even capped it's still spilling.
However, the feeling are very smooth and silky and that's about it.
It wasn't expensive if it works for me, but it didn't so I'll go back to my UDPP.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 8:22:00 AM More reviews by pimpernell

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Although the tube packaging sucks: make sure it stands up instead of lying down or the cap will be spilled all over....who invented to use a rollerball?, i'm really happy with this.
I don't think it makes my e/s brighter BUT It keeps my e/s in place, very soft to bring it on, dries up fast and does not crease, even after a whole day (I don't have oily lids...)!

Defenately a keeper!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 11:58:00 AM More reviews by sixxmum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tested this against UDPP as described below:

On my left eye I put Fyrinnae. On my right eye I put UDPP.
UDPP was much harder to blend. The colors looked a bit bolder on that eye, but IRL it also looked less smooth because I just couldn't blend it well.

After 9+ hours, there was no creasing on either eye and they both still looked quite vivid. The Fyrinnae eye seemed to have a tiny bit more fading, but not enough to bug me. I had a spot of transfer a few hours in on that eye, but after I smoothed that off, it did not return.

So, for me, the bottom line is that the price difference and vegan nature of the Fyrinnae, added to the easier blending is better than the slightly more color boosting nature of the UDPP.
I also tested this against Art Deco primer
Application points:
I'm very fair and the AD seems to make my skin a little warmer and changes the e/s color a bit, but the difference is subtle. The AD eye was harder to blend, but not as difficult as UDPP, and it does seem to make the colors slightly more vibrant.

Lasting points:
After 6 hours, I got slightly more smudging of eyeliner on the Art Deco eye (interesting) than on the Fyrinnae eye. Colors look pretty consistently the same as after application and no creasing on either eye.

Having used these for a while now, I find AD to be a bit less drying on my lids, but UD to prevent creasing a little more and it's quicker to apply/dry before e/s application.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No