August 27, 2014 | 1802 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Hard as Nails

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 8/6/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by linergirl16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

As an OPI user, I decided to try the "cheaper" nailpolish by buying the Sally Hansen Hard as Nails in Rock Bottom at Walmart for $1.96 compared to $8.50 for OPI. As someone who never buys drug store "cheap" makeup due to the fact that is horrible compared to MAC or Estee Lauder, I figured maybe the same doesn't go for nail polishes. Maybe cheaper nail polishes are just as good as the expensive ones such as OPI. Well, I can't attest to the longevity of the nail polish as I just put it on. But, I can say, this was the most complicated nail polish to put on. It had almost a gel like texture that if you did not smoothe onto your nail immediately, it kind of clumped and dried leaving a line from the brush stroke. The color itself is pretty but that is about it for now. I am positive I am going to be returning this one. I don't think this nail polish was "old" due to the fact it was liquidy coming out of the bottle. It just has a very uneven texture while putting it on and for that fact, I gave it two lippies.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Clover04750

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I usually buy Ice, sinful colors, or other cheap polishes. When I saw the SH name for $2, I figured I'd give it a try. I used my China Glaze white base coat and applied this polish on top. It was very runny and thin. Even with the white base, I had streaks on top of streaks from two applications. When I tried to apply extra polish to coat my nail thicker, it just dripped and dried to the cuticle.

The next day, after doing dishes, I noticed that the polish had shrunk around the cuticle and tips of my nails like plastic. I could see uneven portions of white at the tips and cuticles of my nails. Normally my polish doesn't chip or peel from washing dishes or taking a shower within the first 24 hours. I haven't tried peeling it because I know that's bad for your nails, but I'm sure it'd peel right off as a whole piece.

This polish was a waste of money and time. I'm really glad I didn't take the time to paint designs or add decals with this mani because that would've been an even bigger waste. I'm going to give this to one of the little girls my son hangs out with because they fly through nail polish fast. They'll be happy I purchased this dud, but I'm not. At least it was only $2. Would NOT recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by Kokome10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The only pro to this polish is that there is a great color selection.

BUT THAT'S IT.

The formula is weird. It's simultaneously too thick and too runny. It's impossible to apply a thin layer of this stuff, and it only goes on either too little at a time (which causes streaks) or too much at a time (which causes bubbling and goopiness and a slow dry time).

The brush is also not good. It's thin and long and doesn't work well with this polish.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2013 8:52:00 PM More reviews by jwinter00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've bought quite a few of these nail polishes over the years, this kind mainly because it's cheap, but I just really don't care for it. They separate really easily, as in if you put it down on a table at night and then wake up in the morning, the color will be at the bottom and the oil or whatever it is will be at the top. That and I have about 6 or 7 of these and every single one takes at least 5 coats to become opaque. The bottles are oddly shaped and I'm just not a fan. Instead of buying a bunch of bottles of this crap, buy one good bottle of OPI or something.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 10:00:00 PM More reviews by RebekahDigney

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sally hansen has great polish however these ones are particularly the best for me. My nails love to break at a certain point and with this nail polish it makes them unbreakable so there you go finally!!. I prefer them over opi or essie purly for their strong hold. They also don't chip as easily which is a bonus !!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 8:45:00 AM More reviews by tsh82

this really does makes my nails unbreakable.
there was this one time where my nail broke accidentally, i chipped it off and usually i would fiddle around with the chipped nail and make it look worse, but because of this polish it is damn hard to actually fiddle around with it.
bottom line is that my nails just really become much stronger and harder to break and chip. love this so much. the only thing i hate is the brush, kinda annoying but oh well :P

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by PopularPolish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Pros:
Quick drying

Cons:
None that particularly stick out to me

Overall:
This is my main base coat, and since I started using it, I find my long nails break less often.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2013 3:05:00 PM More reviews by ToriBiohazard

I find that this product DOES help my nails get a little strong, and less bendable and prone to breaking. However, it can have a weird consistency, and doesn't help my nails over time. Only when I have it on.
Polish on top of this can bubble for me, and I'm not sure if it's because of this or something else, but since I've been using this as a base coat, I find that my nail polish tends to peel off in full sheets! So weird!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 3:08:00 AM More reviews by lacysilk29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I really love this product. My favorite nail look is the very natural clear look haha. A lot of people have misconceptions of how this product really works. It coats your nail so that it will prevent bending, tearing, and chipping of the nail by making it hard and stiff. I love the end result in just two coats. I've experimented with 3 coats or 2 thick coats and that wasn't so good. I like the shiny thick hard look, while still looking natural. Better than most the 10 dollar products and for about $2. My only negative comments is they don't last over a week.. which is too optimistic, and the smell is pretty annoying but that's with all nail things. Overall I will keep buying it since it is my go to product =)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2012 7:36:00 PM More reviews by mischa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

These rival some of the more expensive polishes I own. Smooth application, opaque in two coats, and dries reasonably quickly. I layered a coat of the clear bluish glitter 810 Bold as Brass over 2 coats of the really pretty royal blue, 710 Gem-stone. Super cute. I often have trouble with dark blue polishes across a lot of different brands--in my experience they are often either too thin or too thick, or streaky or runny or gloppy, and you have to be really careful applying it because, like red polishes, they stain the skin, making cleaning up mistakes a bit tedious. This polish pretty much went where I wanted it to go, and even when I did make a minor mistake, it didn't stain the way other blue polishes have done. I wasn't able to get a very clean line of polish near the cuticle (partially the brush's fault, partially my fault), but it wasn't anything a cheap angled eyeliner brush dipped in polish remover couldn't fix. I'll be buying more of these in the future.