September 15, 2014 | 1816 users online

Loose Powders - Gold Bond - Medicate Baby Powder - Corn Starch Plus

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

SO so so so glad i picked this up!

its cheap, around $3 or so at walmart, and comes in a regular baby power container, a bit smaller than the johnson&johnson containers. maybe 70% of the size or so. i LOVE that there are only 3 ingredients:

Cornstarch 79% / Skin Protectant
Kaolin 4% / Skin Protectant
Zinc Oxide 15% / Skin Protectant

i havent used this as a baby powder (although i'm sure it works great), but as a face/setting powder instead. for reference, my skin is nc15-ish or lighter, and normal to combination. more on the normal side, if i had to pick. after i apply my foundation and concealer i use this to set them. i sprinkle some from the container onto the back of my hand, and then use a flat-top brush (i like ELF's) and dab the brush in the powder. then i tap the powder all over my face, and after that's done i use the same brush to gently swipe away the extra. i'm quite fair, so i dont notice this giving me a white cast. i'd be cautious of using this is you have darker skin though, as it might make you look ashy. for me though, it goes on looking white and then after i've swiped away the extra it looks transparent.

as far as finish goes, it makes my face VERY matte. and KEEPS my face matte for quite a while. So far I've only tested this out for about 7 hours, but i took a nap about 1/2 way through, and even then my MU was sill intact, and my face was not in the least shiny. it didnt feel dried out either, just comfortable. after the 7 hours my face was not quite as matte as when i first applied the powder, which is a good thing.

i will for sure buy this again in the futire, and wont even bother trying any other setting powders. I'm tired of all of the others oxidizing on me!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff has been heaven sent for my oily skin! I've been on a mattifying powder hunt for several months now.
Thanks to the SkinCare Board I recently got my skin looking clearer (aging, very fair/ N/NC10, oily, acne/clog-prone) -I've got a good routine with AHA's, BHA and am also oil cleansing with Mineral(baby oil) for makeup removal and Grape Seed Oil for regular cleansing.
Since my skin is looking clear and happy I haven't been wanting to wear full coverage foundation (which used to be a must for me on a daily basis) I've been wearing more light-med. coverage foundations, tinted moisturizers, & BB Creams with setting powder. A few of my favorite loose powders that I've found to-date this summer are 100% silica powder (from Coastal Scents, TKB Trading or MUFE), ELF HD powder, Black Opal Translucent Mattifying Powder(pressed), & NYC Smooth Skin Loose(this one is actually an old staple though).

Coming across this miracle powder was very random. Approx. 1-2 months ago I was getting ready to post a review here for J&J Baby Powder and how I love using it as a dry shampoo. I started reading the reviews already listed for J&J's baby powder only to see that some oily skin gals have been using it as a setting powder with nice results *mind blown* lol So I tried the regular J&J Baby Powder several times (also with nice results) but the large amount of talc in J&J's Original Baby Powder is dangerous (or so I've read..?) Sooo, I started searching for talc-free powders that can be easily found at my local drugstores and came across THIS holy grail of a powder in the baby skin care aisle at my local Walmart.

Gold Bond Triple Action Medicated Cornstarch Baby Powder is a bit different from any regular baby powder because with original baby powder I have to REALLY dust it on to notice a slight white cast, but with this one it IS easy to go overboard if you've got a deeper skin tone and/or a heavy hand.
Luckily, a little goes a very long way so you shouldn't need to use a lot for matte skin. I poured some out into a empty travel container/tub and use a fluffy brush to apply (currently EcoTools Sheer Finish Kabuki) -It's really awesome stuff :)

The ingredient list is very minimal (therefore good for other acne/clog-prones as long as there's no sensitivity to corn starch, kaolin, or zinc oxide) &I'm really excited about all 3 of these ingredients because they're known for being good oil absorbers!

Now that I've found it, I swear my oily skin will NEVER be without this stuff. It's the best setting powder I've found to-date for my crazy oily skin in the hot + humid PA summers and the price is right at LESS than $4 (USD) per container. (a steal right?!)

**Update - I've already repurchased my 2nd bottle/container of this and still use it regularly :) We just got through a terribly frigid winter here so I didn't need it daily like I do in warmer months but over the past several weeks it's been gradually warming up again and my skin is noticing with several foundations not lasting long + oil breakthrough, needing to blot more than 1x/day, etc.(typical warm weather skin for me lol) --So I whipped this heavenly Gold Bond powder back out and it's got my oily skin back in check (woot!)
Bottom line from me is that I highly recommend & would absolutely repurchase.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Jenni4Design

Originally got this for my son's bottom and it worked great for that, but I "borrowed" it in a pinch to help with chafing. Great product for ladies with larger chests. Works great to keep chafing at bay or help heal it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2007 2:54:00 AM More reviews by bront82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

An excellent product ... I have not tried it on my face, but it is wonderful as a body powder. If you have used gold bond products in the past, this is by far the mildest. It has a delightful fragrance and does not have the cooling effect of some of the other powders. Goes on nicely and doesn't get all chalky ... absorbs and smells great. Definitely worth trying!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2007 2:57:00 PM More reviews by ultimagrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Gold Bond Medicated Baby Powder – Corn Starch Plus

Description/Overall Conclusion: This is a “medicated” non-talc baby powder. There are three ingredients in this powder – corn starch, kaolin and zinc oxide. I know this stuff says it’s for cute but irritated baby arses but I thought about using it as a primer under my Bare Minerals powder. I figured the corn starch was pretty much the same as what’s in the Mineral Veil and kaolin is an oil absorber and zinc oxide is also in the mineral foundation…so at least it didn’t seem like it could really hurt. I used this under my foundation to help reduce shine and give a smoother appearance.

RAVES: This is the first time I tried to do anything like this and, I have to say, it’s working out great. I took my flawless application brush, dipped it in the powder and put a fine layer over my face before putting on my BE foundation. Yes…this powder does go on a bit white but, if you’re careful, it won’t show under your mineral foundation. So far, it has left me matte but not dry looking and seems to help keep my BE on longer than the BE by itself. It has done exactly what I wanted it to –helped minimize the BE shine, smooth (prime?) and make my makeup stay on a little longer. The container was just $3 so I think it’s a steal compared to Mineral Veil and works better.

RANTS: There is a *little* bit of fragrance to this so, if you’re sensitive, you won’t like. Also, I don’t know how this would do for someone with dry skin. I have normal/combo skin and it’s done great…keep in mind though, I applied just a very thin layer and did not cake this on. As long as I don’t break out from this (which I don’t see why I should), I plan to repurchase. If I notice breakouts or anything weird, I’ll update.

continued >>