Aveda Smooth Infusion

Aqueous (Water/Aqua/Eau) Extract/Extrait Aqueux: Aloe Barbadenis Leaf, Decyl Gluoside, Sodium Coco/Babassu Sulfate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Babassuamdopropyl Betaine, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum, Calophyllum Inophyllum (Tamanu) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Dehydroxanthan Gum, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Glycol Distearate, Fragrance (Parfum), Limonene, Geraniol, Citral, Linalool, Citronellol, Capryloyl Glycine, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Sodium Benzoate, Salicyclic Acid.

on 4/6/2015 2:05:00 PM

I have a new healthy haircut and this stuff makes my hair look and feel like straw. I highly DON'T recommend this stuff. I am using the shampoo, conditioner as well as the glossing straightener, so I can't exactly be certain which product sucks, so I will put this review under all three products.

on 3/18/2015 12:30:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

This is definitely my most relied upon shampoo. I have thin hair and this is moisturizing enough so I don't need conditioner but light enough not to weigh down my hair. Plus, no harsh ingredients and it doesn't irritate my scalp like so many shampoos. It's expensive but I buy it in bulk on amazon.

on 1/25/2015 4:05:00 PM

I buy wayyyyyy too many shampoos in the course of a month, but this is one I always keep in the shower caddie (which is actually a 3-tiered tower for all my products). I always go back to this shampoo no matter how many others I try because: 1. it smells amazing and the scent doesn't make me sick or give me a migraine, 2. it moisturizes but still actually cleanses my hair, 3. rinses clean and doesn't leave my hair feeling lank or coated, 4. lathers enough but not so much to be damaging, 5. is readily available at any number of salons in my area so I don't have to order online and wait. My hair really enjoys the combination of cleansing botanical ingredients and moisturizing ingredients; for me, it's just right. I have hair that is just starting to turn the corner on some serious damage that I sustained almost a year ago. It's still dry and has split ends, but the new growth is healthy and being its my roots, needs a fair amount of cleansing power without a lot of weight. This shampoo balances the needs of my damaged ends and oilier roots. Honestly, even if you have had bad luck with other Aveda products (which I have had too), I still highly recommend giving this a try. This is the stuff I wash my hair with when the new stuff I've bought fails!

on 10/28/2014 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Unlike its conditioner counterpart, I quite liked this shampoo. For a bit of background, my hair texture has some natural waves but is otherwise straight - I have very thick strands that have a tendency to become coarse and occasionally frizz. When I rinse out this shampoo, my hair is left feeling smooth (like its name implies) and manageable. I get good results even when I'm feeling EXTRA lazy and skip conditioner and hair oil. I'm only giving this 4 stars though because I do wish it would lather a bit more- I find that I need a lot more product to completely shampoo my hair. It also smells kinda funky - like herbal medicine-y.. and I understand that's because the shampoo is botanical but still not ideal if you plan on going on a date and you smell like a fresh farm (or maybe that's a good thing?). I don't find that it did wonders at controlling my frizz, but my hair does feel quite sleek. I don't think I will be repurchasing this as I would like to try other products.

on 7/23/2014 4:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've bought the 1 litre bottle of the shampoo and used it for at least 6 months so far so good. The fragrance is luxurious and smells very botanical. Leaves my hair soft and silky overall very happy.

on 6/3/2014 11:35:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I really did like the smell of this shampoo and the feel of it, the only reason that I rated it so low is because it left a lot of buildup on my hair, and it also weighed it down quite a bit. I think that's just because I have fine hair, I do have a lot of it though. So my theory with this is that it was just too heavy for my hair type. I did really enjoy the smell though, it sort of smelled like licorice a little. Won't be repurchasing though since it didn't work well for me.

on 6/3/2014 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: Downgraded to a single lippy. Went back after a year long break, and this time it gave me an itchy scalp and lifeless hair. Contains quite a bit of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) in form of Sodium Coco Sulfate, which is very drying. Returned both the shampoo and conditioner. Won't repurchase.
- - -
This is a very good shampoo and works as promised, especially in conjunction with its accompanying conditioner. I have medium coarse long hair which usually does not behave well: it frizzes, tangles and looks greasy. I was sold after trying a sample of this shampoo (and conditioner). It left my hair clean, smooth, shiny and bouncy, and reduced (even eliminated) frizz. The smell is typical herbal Aveda based on essential oils, nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain either. Also, the essential oils did not irritate my scalp as some do. After the samples I immediately purchased the full sizes and used them for over a year. They are expensive ($20+ for a small sized bottle) but I found them splurge-worthy. They gave me good hair day after good hair day, and I garnered many compliments on my hair (something that does not happen often).
Eventually - after a year or so - it stopped working its magic. This shampoo does contains silicones and has the tendency to build up. Now, I have nothing against silicones, they are hair care magic if used right. All the smoothing and frizz reducing effect of this shampoo is due to silicones. I did not do it, but it would have been a wise idea to stop using this shampoo and conditioner once in a while and rotate with a clarifying shampoo.
I no longer use this particular shampoo anymore, but it still gets two thumbs up from me. It can be magic in a bottle, just try adding a clarifying shampoo once in a while.

on 2/24/2014 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I used this shampoo and conditioner duo once and was completely sold. Several days of showering in harsh, hard water had left my hair dull, dry, and frazzled at the ends. My roots were just as oily as usual though. After shampooing with Smooth Infusion, my normal shine and smooth hair was looking 10x better than my normal good hair day. The smell, very signature to Aveda, is an aromatherapy experience in its own. My hair was voluminous, moisturized, and shinier than usual. Not a single hair was frizzed and my ends were perfectly smooth. I would most certainly spend the extra money to have this shampoo and conditioner again.

on 9/16/2013 8:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i LOVE this line. i have very thick, wavy, coarse hair (see pic in profile). most products do not affect the rotten condition of my hair. the Aveda smooth infusion shampoo and conditioner soften, take away frizz, and "smooth" my hair! i can leave it wavy or blow it dry. love this line.

it looks super shiny, too! i cannot imagine living without these products. will buy liters when i run out. i recommend it - NOT if you have very fine, straight hair perhaps. if you have drier, thick, curly/wavy hair, this line is meant for you.

it does not enhance waves nor does it take the waves away entirely - it does keep volume in my hair but it doesn't look poofy. i love it!

on 9/10/2013 12:33:00 PM

I have been using this shampoo for almost a year now. And what a difference it makes. I have used lower end "natural" type shampoo's in the past and thought they were good...until I tried Aveda smooth infusion. I leaves my hair clean, smelling nice, and soft. Not that smooth, but I wasn't looking for that. Along with the conditioner, I cannot beleive I ever thought other shampoos/conditioners were good...even other high-end naturals like Biolage.

Currently, my hair is mostly natural (no dye, minimal heat styling). But last year, when I was growing out my highlighted and dyed hair, the shampoo /conditioner made it feel awesome. During the shampoo and conditioning in the shower, I was not a beleiver. But after I started combing my hair, I was impressed with how easily the comb went through my damaged hair. And after it air dried, I was hooked.

Also, this does not make my hair feel heavy, it feels light and bouncy.

I have just repurchased this in the liter size.