October 23, 2014 | 2007 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Super Duper Topcoat

rated 1 of 5 on 8/4/2014 6:34:00 AM More reviews by seahorselove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bought this at Grocery Outlet for $3. I found this top coat to not do much at all. I was hoping for a shiny finish, which it doesn't do and it is very thin after application, where i can still see my nail ridges, even after applying two coats. Kind of disappointing for a higher-end nail polish. On the plus side i love the bottles and they always seem to be a thin base which drys quickly.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 3:00:00 PM More reviews by bamagirl417

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this topcoat! It makes my nails super shiny and my manicure lasts forever-- with the right polish AND as long as I wait for it to dry completely (the long drying time is my one complaint).

I actually did have a problem with my polish bubbling with this top coat when using certain polishes, so I asked a nail tech friend why. She asked what brand of polish I was using when it bubbled, and it turns out that you're much more likely to get bubbles when you mix Big 3 Free products with non-B3F products because they dry at different rates.

So now I use this topcoat with other Essie polishes as well as other brands that are B3F (formaldehyde, toluene, DBP) in them and it works perfectly. If I use a brand that isn't B3F, I use another brand of top coat that also isn't. AND if I'm using a B3F polish, I have to wait a little longer for each layer to dry before adding the next, because B3F polishes tend to take longer to dry than others. I hope that's somewhat helpful!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by FrankieVercammen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a review about Essie Quick-E Drying Drops - which is only available to professionals. I bought it from my beautician. At 35 dollars here in Switzerland it is very expensive. It does its job at drying BUT it also creates tiny bubbles. I've tried it several times to see if the problem was not caused by a different make of nail polish. But the bubbles appeared every time.
My beautician does not have any problems with it because she applies all four coats (base coat, two coats of polish, top coat) straight after each other, and then applies a few drops of the Quick-E drying drops. The whole thing dries as one layer so to speak. At home I wait for each coat to dry before applying the next one, and apply the drops after the last coast. Totally disappointed, because it ruins my manicure.
It seems that Essie still has not solved the problem with bubbling, seeing reviewers complaining about this issue since 2007.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2012 11:17:00 PM More reviews by JENILEW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using a Revlon Colorstay topcoat for ages and was running low so I thought I'd give Essie a try. I used my usual basecoat and two thin coats of a brand new Revlon polish. After letting that dry, I painted on a thin coat of the Super Duper top coat. Within the hour, my nails were covered in tiny bubbles.
After a little online research, I got rid of the bubbles by dripping my fingertip in polish remover and running it over the top of the nails. Another hour passed and I repainted one nail to see if it would bubble again. And it did.
The only explanation I've found for bubbles is if the color coats are completely dry before the topcoat is applied. This just isn't possible in my case because there were hours inbetween the color and topcoat.
I am very frustrated. The amazing Revlon topcoat I'm addicted to, I used to find at a dollar store so shelling out $8 for this Essie polish seems ridiculous. Is this the best they can do? Ugh.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2012 10:27:00 PM More reviews by kac831

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I like Essie's nail polishes so I decided to give this a try when I needed a new top coat. However, super duper it wasn't. It does dry rather fast, but I too noticed the bubbles several other people mentioned. I also didn't see any real shine to it at all. I wound up returning it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2012 7:07:00 PM More reviews by xabitina

This topcoat is super watery and didn't make my nails shiny at all. Also, it took some color off my nails with it's brush, so then the topcoat in the bottle turned purple. I'm just really frustrated with this product. I highly recommend Essie's 3-Way Glaze instead. I did a side by side swatch of both, and the 3-Way Glaze is much shinier and stronger.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/5/2011 2:45:00 AM More reviews by sweetness10

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This topcoat was very easy to apply. Even though it was quite thin and the brush wasn't very wide, it self-levelled and covered my nails well (although I still would've preferred a wider brush). My nails were touch-dry very fast (within a few minutes) and my nails were very shiny. My manicure lasted much longer than usual without chipping (5 days before I got the tiniest little corner chip on one of my nails, as opposed to my usual 3 days - I'm very hard on my nails). My nails stayed gorgeous and glossy as well. HOWEVER, when I did my nails at night and waited about two hours before going to bed, I woke up in the morning with the dreaded sheet creases on them (I hate when that happens)! So, if I'm going to do my nails during the day I'd use this because it's touch-dry so fast, prolongs my manicure and stays shiny, but if I'm going to do them at night then I'll reach for a different top coat.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2011 6:05:00 PM More reviews by misschristie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I started out with Poshe two years ago. Loved it for its super-quick drying powers and its glossy shine. But I was getting chips.I've been into Essie for the past year, so I thought I'd try their basecoat and topcoat.

With Essie's Super Duper Topcoat, the great thing is I'm not getting chips! The major downsides are, however, this does not dry and it's not shiny at all!! 24-hours after application, I'm still getting dents, creases, and even fingerprints on my mani. Fingerprints, MUA. How is that even possible?! Nail polish on its own dries faster than this. This is worthless.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 1:40:00 AM More reviews by bluexskies

Pretty good topcoat. My manicure lasted 8-9 days with no chipping whatsoever. I did get some bubbling at the tip of one finger though, but other fingers were fine. Gives a really glossy and shiny finish, and dries pretty fast.

My HG top coat for now.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2010 5:43:00 PM More reviews by skinfanatic21

I ran out of my OPI topcoat and decided to give Essie a try. So far I've had my fingernails painted for 3 days and they still haven't chipped. I used this same color polish with my OPI topcoat and it chipped within 2 days. The only drawback is that the brush is not the wide fan brush that OPI uses and seems a bit too thin and stiff. I wouldn't recommend using this topcoat until your color is almost dry because the brush might cause denting or smearing. I haven't experienced any bubbles in my topcoat so that's a plus.