September 23, 2014 | 1950 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Immissvixen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love Clinique cosmetic, but this product didnt suit me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by e1e

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My go-to-daily-sunscreen. I have been using this almost daily since I was 19. I like it because it is a physical sunblock, it is longer lasting then chemical sunscreen and can be used around the eye area. I'm very happy with the finish, it looks almost like the Korean cc cream without the shiny T zone.
It is a board spectrum physical block. It provides a bit of hydration, it is not a 'weight-less' sunscreen, which is fine for the dry summer in Australia. I won't use it when I visit a more humid area though.
The hint is just right for my NC25 skin tone. It has cc cream effect without the shine.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by scm240

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've recently been trying to educate myself on skincare ingredients. No, it's not about freeing myself of oh-so-scary chemicals and lab-created concoctions, but rather ingredients that sensitizing, unnecessary or damaging skin underneath its surface. I take time to research ingredients and have rid my skincare of anything with fragrance.

Especially because this is a gentle sunscreen, I had high hopes, but even with my sensitive and sometimes-reactive skin, this was the only sunscreen I've ever used (baby, sport, lots of drugstore options) that actually stung and burned my skin. I was definitely confused and kept using it, only to have the same uncomfortable results.

I don't mind the shiny sunscreen look under makeup because I think its dewiness shows through nicely. But this made me feel greasy and the one-shade-fits-all tinted color did not blend well with my NW10/NARS Siberia skin tone.

It also separated in the tub which is not a huge deal (the packaging is great to get every last drop as a squeeze tube), but it was hard to shake up inside there due to the thick texture, so it was gross and oily coming out sometimes. I did not find it moisturizing enough to wear without my daily moisturizer underneath, either.

Overall, might be a great option for people with less sensitive skin than mine and a light-to-medium skintone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2014 6:08:00 AM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this to use in rotation with my other Clinique SS (Clinique Even Better SPF 45) and I have to say I really do not like this compared to it. It is a lot thicker than Even Better, and tends to dry my skin out too. I do like the fact its tinted, and is a physical only SS (I double checked the ingredients) but every time I wear it I can feel the moisture being sucked right out of my skin. I can only use this if I really pile on products before using it - but this can make everything either separate or just slip into my pores. i also cannot get the full 1/4tsp on my face - its way too thick and I cannot even build it up, so this can only get used when I spend barely any time outside. I will use it up but not repurchase and I will just stick to the Even Better, despite its high price for the amount you get. (City Block is 18 for 40ml whereas Even Better is 26 for 30ml).

Edit: Just no. I couldn't even try and use it up. I was able to exchange it thankfully.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by ShiMakeup

Bought this a second time after a loooong time and very quickly realized it makes my foundation seperate and my skin oily. I love the texture, the packaging ,and the feel. also the ingredients. I really wanted to love this product but it makes my face into a mess :( ill still finish the tube but unfortunately cant buy again. Pooo

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by worrly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've tried this tube off and on over the years and I'm still on the fence about this. I used to love Clinique in my 20s. I loved that it's fragrance free and supposedly hypoallergenic but that can depend on what your skin reacts to. I loved the clean minimal look and the SA in their lab coats but especially the GWP which always suckered me in for stuff I didn't need. They also have the best prices for a department store line.

This goes on with a tint which worked okay for my now :( medium skin tone (Maybelline Buff) and evened my skin but isn't full coverage. Sometimes it feels really drying on my face and is really matte so any makeup afterwards looks chalky. I think it depend on how hot the weather is as today it went on smoothly, my face looks semi-matte. I think it works best as a primer.

However, I used City Block off and on over the years and it always burns my face! I can't figure out what ingredient is causing the burning sensation. The only thing that could be a problem is the gentian or rosemary extract which is really high on the list. It also separates over time and even with shaking it doesn't go back to normal. The tube needs to be used up as next year it might be oily on top so I suppose that is why today it is not drying on my skin. It does cause breakouts but I'm careful to pat not rub it on.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2014 4:19:00 AM More reviews by VeryAroma

Shame on Clinique! I tried the City Block 25 and am loving it. The slight tint, the feel on my skin - all very pleasant.
Now I have to find out that the European version of this DOES NOT contain zinc oxide and therefore has very little UV-A protection. I am bummed and will not repurchase unless I can get my hands on the US-version. Really Clinique, this sucks!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Phivu

I loved the texture of this sunscreen and the tint, even though it doesn't make much difference in terms of color. I could see tiny powderys on my face from using this- the tint doesn't totally disappear, but I'm fine with it and it's not really noticeable. The reason this didn't work for me was because it wasn't enough moisture for my skin. When I first put on the sunscreen it felt thick and great but later my face felt a bit tight and even a bit warm especially under my nose where I breathe out (but that burning/warm feeling went away after putting make up on). I have combination skin but my face needs more moisture, and this physical sunscreen tends to dry out my skin and I can't use it. Be sure to try this sunscreen before you buy it to make sure you don't have tight feeling skin after. Get this if your face doesn't need too much moisture like I do.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Word to the acne prone: I would take caution in trying this spf, which is actually more like a moisturizer with spf. Clogged me big time. Otherwise, it's a great product.

PROS:
Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide = stable, effective spf
Tinted to avoid white cast from physical ss
Antioxidants
Smooth application
No irritating ingredients

CONS:
If you use too much, the tint can turn ruddy colored (which isn't ideal since you are supposed to liberally apply spf)
Clogging ingredient: Stearyl heptanoate = thick emolient
Clogging ingredient: cyclopentasiloxane

Of course, YMMV with the ingredients in city block that clogged me. When I wore even a thin layer, 20 mins later small clogs could easily be seen under the surface of my cheeks. I never have clogs on my cheeks unless I'm using a clogging product. After stopping my use of city block, the clogs disappeared within a week.

Overall, a well formulated spf with beneficial ingredients and cosmetically elegant formula. If only it didn't clog damn it!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by paigie42

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as my daily moisturizer. It has a small amount of tint to it to even out the whitish cast that the sunscreen would normally leave. The tint really has no impact on my skin. It has a bit of a thick consistency and leaves a slightly dewy finish on my skin. I thought it might not be enough moisture for my slightly combo skin, but it feels very good on - not too heavy or greasy, but not drying or tight either. It leaves a nice finish for me to apply my liquid foundation over. The best part for me is that it does not sting my eyes like other sunscreens. I have a hard time with that and have had to stop using many products for that reason. Even though it is not labeled as a daily moisturizer, I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't need a ton of moisture or for summer use. My only complaint is that it is a little expensive for my budget, but I will probably repurchase when I run out.