Clinique Sheer City Block SPF 25

3.8

Ingredients: Active: Titanium Dioxide (7.3%), Zinc Oxide (6.9%), Other: Water, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Butylene Glycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Steareth-2, Stearyl Heptanoate, Aluminum Stearate, Silica, Lecithin, Gentiana Lutea (Gentian) Root Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Betula Alba (Birch) Bark Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Saccharomyces Lysate Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sorbitan Tristearate, Linoleic Acid, Polyquaternium-51, Caprylyl Methicone, Sorbitol, Sodium Rna, Phospholipids, Peg-40 Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Caprylyl Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Phytantriol, Stearic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cellulose, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Maleate, Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Pantethine, Bisabolol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Ceteth-2, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Steareth-20, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprate, Sodium Stearate, Nylon-12, Citric Acid, Nylon-6, Hexylene Glycol, Xanthan Gum, Disodium Edta, Bht, Phenoxyethanol, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 2/6/2015 2:44:00 PM

HG!!! I don't know if I've ever had a HG before so I'm excited. I'm reviewing the SPF 25 City Block with physical sunblock, tinted. I have pale, yellow undertone skin. I barely notice the colour in this. As other reviewers noted, it is well described as a BB-cream. After applying, it takes under a minute to "set". It makes my skin SO soft that I have to consciously stop touching my face. My powder mineral makeup is lasting much, much longer. My skin used to be combo-oil but is changing to dry-combo; the matte finish of this absorbs any greasies I get. Best of all, this sunscreen does not break me out- everything makes me break out. As for moisturizing properties, I like to pat on a few drops of rosehip oil before applying or a thin layer of light moisturizer first.
I love that this sunblock has antioxidants in it too, bonus! If you purchase, beware that not all products in the City Block line are physical sunscreen, some are chemical, so ask the SA carefully if this is important for you.

on 12/9/2014 9:59:00 PM

I was tossing up between a 2 or a 3 for this one. It's not a bad product but it didn't suit my skin type and needs.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS IF:

- you're very fair to fair
- you don't suffer from dry or dehydrated skin and
- you like your base products to have yellow undertones - then this may work for you!

It feels a little greasy when first applied but it DRIES (taking my skin's moisture with it!) and goes very matte. This was so drying on my skin (not initially, the dryness became obvious an hour or so later) even with moisturiser underneath. Although I'm an NC15, I didn't like the yellow base as it kinda made me look very slightly sick. Overall, the parched slightly yellow look didn't do much for me.

on 11/25/2014 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is actually good. I remember I tried it once before, about 15 years ago, and back then it clogged up my face bigtime. But I guess either my skin changed or the formulation changed, because I have been using it now for a week and not a zit in sight. Just clear, radiant skin with a little sheen and no shine.

I was looking for something to replace my favourite Estťe Lauder DayWear Lotion SPF15. That stuff is really nice, not very oily, thin, easy to spread etc. I had used it for a few years and it was the only thing I had found so far with an SPF that didn't break me out, but after a few years it started bugging me that I needed to touch up with powder quite a bit to keep my face from turning into an oil slick.

Although I had had bad experiences with Clinique before, I read the reviews on this from people with oily and acne prone skin and it got very high ratings, so I thought I'd give it another shot. It's thicker than my DayWear Lotion and it looks like foundation! But the colour doesn't show up on my face, it's actually transparent (as the name 'sheer' suggests). It also spreads pretty easily even though it seems quite thick when you first see it. It feels like it sinks in, even though I read it's a physical sunblock... But none of that sticky sunscreen feel that stays on your face and feels like you want to wipe it off. I barely need any makeup with this so that's a big bonus.

With DayWear I had to reapply some powder around my nose and forehead a few times a day. With this stuff I can get away with not reapplying at all! I saw a pic of myself where I went out to a restaurant and then a bar with colleagues, the photo had been taken around midnight and there was no shine, just a healthy glow. Unbelievable for my skin.

I am happy with this, as long as I don't develop an adverse reaction to it at a later stage I am going to stick with this. My face feels nice and smooth and not dry or greasy.

For people interested in the smell: it doesn't smell perfumy. Maybe a bit nutty or like an ointment or something for the first few seconds, but then: nothing.

on 11/22/2014 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Great product and wonderful for those who are fair skinned as you can you use this as a foundation if you apply Clinique blended face powder( I use # 8) to set it and it is great for a very natural look. If you need more coverage then this is a great primer for your foundation, I use it under perfectly real and love it!

A plus is for those with Rosacea like me, it is very gentle on your skin and I use Take the Day Off Balm, which removes it very easily and without a trace of sunscreen...

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this product because I am scared to not wear sunscreen for aging and cancer reasons. I had tried a higher SPF Shiseido sunscreen and it broke me out like crazy. Iíve never had problems with acne, not even in my teenager years. Maybe a couple pimples here or there, but nothing a little drugstore fix couldnít take care of. Two days of using the Shiseido sunscreen and I was broken out all over my cheeks. Not just small, little bumps, but large, red, painful puss filled pimples. I found Clinique Cityblock SPF 25 and wanted to give it a try because Clinique has a reputation for being good for your skin and it was a much lower SPF than the Shiseido one I was previously using. I originally used the Shiseido one because my mother uses it and she LOVES all their products, sheís never had a problem with the Shiseido line.

Switched to the Clinique one and noticed that the acne decreased significantly, but I still had pimples popping up on my face more than I ever had before. It was getting so bad I was becoming to self conscious of my face, and Iíve never felt that way regarding acne on my face. All throughout college I never wore makeup, so you can imagine my nightmare with an acne filled face.

Pros: sunscreen is a nude color as opposed to a white color like most sunscreens. It lies really nicely under makeup. I would wash my face, serum, moisturizer, sunscreen, and then a primer and it never affected the application or longevity of my makeup. The tube was $25, didnít need a lot of sunscreen for an entire face. Iíve had it for two months now and I doubt that it is even half empty. I wore it on my face 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend depending on what I was doing.

I finally decided to stop using products in my skincare routine to see what was breaking me out. I had a hunch it was the sunscreen, but I had just introduced a serum and night cream to my routine at the same time (I know, shame on me), so I wanted to be able to make sure it wasnít just the sunscreen. Low and behold, it was the sunscreen. Made me sad because I spent $25 on the sunscreen and the sunscreen itself was a nude color instead of a white color, which is a pro for me.

One random thing I noticed, I didnít feel that the sunscreen left a white cast on my face especially since it was a very nude shade, but when I started wearing the sunscreen, I had to start mixing in a pump of darker foundation so that my face didnít look so white in pictures. I thought maybe it was just because it was getting hot and sunny in San Diego and I had tanned a little bit. It was only when I stopped using the sunscreen and kept mixing the darker foundation with my regular foundation that I noticed that the mixed foundation was too dark for my face. I didnít notice in my house when applying my makeup, but when I got to work two of my coworkers said I had a nice tan, LOL.

Sad to let this one go, but time to find the next one.

on 9/17/2014 4:56:00 PM

I love Clinique cosmetic, but this product didnt suit me.

e1e

on 9/14/2014 5:20:00 AM

My go-to-daily-sunscreen. I have been using this almost daily since I was 19. I like it because it is a physical sunblock, it is longer lasting then chemical sunscreen and can be used around the eye area. I'm very happy with the finish, it looks almost like the Korean cc cream without the shiny T zone.
It is a board spectrum physical block. It provides a bit of hydration, it is not a 'weight-less' sunscreen, which is fine for the dry summer in Australia. I won't use it when I visit a more humid area though.
The hint is just right for my NC25 skin tone. It has cc cream effect without the shine.

on 9/4/2014 9:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I've recently been trying to educate myself on skincare ingredients. No, it's not about freeing myself of oh-so-scary chemicals and lab-created concoctions, but rather ingredients that sensitizing, unnecessary or damaging skin underneath its surface. I take time to research ingredients and have rid my skincare of anything with fragrance.

Especially because this is a gentle sunscreen, I had high hopes, but even with my sensitive and sometimes-reactive skin, this was the only sunscreen I've ever used (baby, sport, lots of drugstore options) that actually stung and burned my skin. I was definitely confused and kept using it, only to have the same uncomfortable results.

I don't mind the shiny sunscreen look under makeup because I think its dewiness shows through nicely. But this made me feel greasy and the one-shade-fits-all tinted color did not blend well with my NW10/NARS Siberia skin tone.

It also separated in the tub which is not a huge deal (the packaging is great to get every last drop as a squeeze tube), but it was hard to shake up inside there due to the thick texture, so it was gross and oily coming out sometimes. I did not find it moisturizing enough to wear without my daily moisturizer underneath, either.

Overall, might be a great option for people with less sensitive skin than mine and a light-to-medium skintone.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I bought this to use in rotation with my other Clinique SS (Clinique Even Better SPF 45) and I have to say I really do not like this compared to it. It is a lot thicker than Even Better, and tends to dry my skin out too. I do like the fact its tinted, and is a physical only SS (I double checked the ingredients) but every time I wear it I can feel the moisture being sucked right out of my skin. I can only use this if I really pile on products before using it - but this can make everything either separate or just slip into my pores. i also cannot get the full 1/4tsp on my face - its way too thick and I cannot even build it up, so this can only get used when I spend barely any time outside. I will use it up but not repurchase and I will just stick to the Even Better, despite its high price for the amount you get. (City Block is £18 for 40ml whereas Even Better is £26 for 30ml).

Edit: Just no. I couldn't even try and use it up. I was able to exchange it thankfully.

on 7/19/2014 12:07:00 AM

Bought this a second time after a loooong time and very quickly realized it makes my foundation seperate and my skin oily. I love the texture, the packaging ,and the feel. also the ingredients. I really wanted to love this product but it makes my face into a mess :( ill still finish the tube but unfortunately cant buy again. Pooo