OPI Light My Sapphire

A somewhat metallic gunmetal gray with purple undertones.

It's definitely off-black, but it's "off" in the purple direction rather than the blue direction. Most of the time it just looks like a frosty gunmetal gray whose purple tones are barely even noticeable -- but this is because the color is too desaturated, not because it's "too dark". (Desaturated and dark are two different things. Unfortunately, one must be capable of thinking analytically in order to recognize this!)

It's an impossibly weird color - unique, but not in a particularly good way.

on 12/7/2014 3:53:00 PM

I have purchased this twice and I forgot how nice it is on. It's a midnight blue with an extremely subtle shimmer which adds extra shine. Definitely one of my favourite OPI shades and I will continue to buy.

on 12/31/2013 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my first OPI nail polish ever and I love it. The color isn't what I expected but I'm still wearing it because it's so different from anything else I have. It went opaque in only one coat (not a thin coat) but dried in about two minutes. It wasn't streaky and didn't lift up the base coat off my nail which is something that really irritates me about other polishes.
I have trouble with essie and china glaze's brushes to the point of frustration but this brush was surprisingly perfect since I've heard horror stories.

Overall, the formula is amazing but the color is a little weird i'll admit, but It's unique enough and seems to have grown on me.

on 10/9/2013 11:12:00 PM

My second bottle of this color and yes it is stunning! A beautiful super shiney blackened navy with shimmer...applies like a dream!! Love that it almost looks black but u can tell it is navy! So shiny with a top coat! I have over 300 colors and this is a favorite!!!!! A must have!!!!!

on 1/16/2013 8:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Humn... I'm kinda on the fence with this one... I purchased LMS because it professed to be a sort of blackish blue shade. At a glance (in bottle) I got the impression this would be along the lines of CC's Vamp in tone but forgoing the purple/red in exchange for a deep blue, which I was all about. When applied really what I got was a dull purple and black mix. Now lemmie clarify: If one is looking for a kind of flat black and purple mix OR if one wants to stray away from basic black nails, they will like this shade. I personally was disappointed because I expected something completely different--I get zero hues of blue. I suppose its a unique shade but I could probably have just mixed a black and purple to achieve the same at a lesser pricepoint. I also don't find it very flattering of a color either and it took 3-4 coats to even get any sort of color depth.
Its not terrible I guess, just not what I thought it would be and def not as advertised. So if you are looking for that hint of blue on any level (hence the name of product) you will likely be disappointed.

on 4/15/2012 4:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

When applied the shimmer shines through and is very visible when it dried with the top coat .. I was disappointed .. Certainly a very frosty dirty dark navy petrol colour with micro shimmer. Very campy especially with long nails and a great shade for winter. The formula is a little thicker than usual and is not streaky.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Any polish that only requires 2 coats is a winner in my books, and Light My Sapphire is a winner! It also dries relatively fast which is always a plus :)
The colour is almost black (with the slightest flash of navy blue under the right lights), so it's perfect if you're looking for a 'black' that isn't a full jet black.
My only negative (and it's only a small one) is that you need to be extra careful not to get it on your skin, as it does appear to 'stain' it ever so slightly if you let it dry there. Get rid of any excess straight away and you'll be fine, otherwise it does wash off within 24 hours :)

on 11/27/2011 11:21:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Light my Sapphire by opi...it is what it is: one of those mysterious dark nail colors that for most viewers it's simply labeled "black", but given a few more minutes they will see the darkest shade of blue with a minuscule hint of gray, which I'm a fan. I was looking for a darker blue shade for a couple of months. The navy blue didn't seem right. So I found out about LMS and I bought the color yesterday morning and put it on as soon as I could. Before buying it, I asked the girl if I could quickly take a look at the swatch. It showed up black, then I got it closer to the window for natural light, and then it was the darker blue I wanted. I'm a happy camper.

Because I have so many nail polishes, 1 bottle of light my sapphire it's enough for now, so probably I wouldn't buy another one in the next few months. Some people find OPI's brush to be a pain, but I don't mind it at all.

Now what works for ME: every time I put on any mysterious superdark shade of nail polish I tend to dress more feminine just to even things out: skirt and dresses (with winter attire), gold rings, a shirt with a nice little bow, messy bun, side ponytail. And I tend to really care to keep my cuticles super healthy because it makes my manicure looks clean.

on 8/14/2011 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

It looks gunmetal gray/black indoors, but under sunlight you can see that this polish is actually a very dark blue with silver shimmer. The formula isn't very pigmented - the first coat is barely there. I use two thin coats and one medium coat to get this opaque and smooth. It doesn't dry very quickly, so I recommend a quick dry topcoat. It only lasted two days before chipping. This was a gift, and I probably wouldn't have bought it on my own. I won't buy it when it runs out, but I don't mind wearing it on occasion. It doesn't stain at all.

on 7/19/2011 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I returned Russian navy for this liked it better. Also like butter London's big smoke better too its a true dark blue but u see blue not almost black.

Top Rated OPI Products