August 1, 2014 | 1686 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #129 Powder/Blush Brush

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by SapphireRoses80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I didn't do a quick makeupalley review check while standing in MAC looking at brushes. Needless to say, I'd have not purchased it if I'd checked here first. I got home and tried this brush out with one of my recent blush purchases and it was already shedding! I even told the sales associate I was looking for a replacement that didn't shed and this is what she recommended. I went back to MAC the same day after trying it and told her how I only tried it once and it was shedding hairs on my face. What she told me was that some MAC brushes are over packed with hair and it's to be expected to have some shedding and after a few uses it would stop. Well I took the brush back home with me and jumped on here to read the reviews. Someone stated her brush still sheds after 3 years, I find that absolutely ridiculous. Expensive brushes should be investment pieces to last a long time, to have shedding after one use, let alone someone experiencing it after 3 years is unacceptable. The shedding changes the shape and density of the hairs overtime. If MAC intended for the brush to be over packed to shed from the beginning then why not just add less hair while still keeping the appropriate balance, density, and shape of the brush? Even when the SA showed me her 129 in comparison to the new one purchased, she had a more tapered tip, the shape was completely different, more flat and sparse. I'm going to return mine.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/27/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by MeghanElissa11

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I really wanted to like this brush. I normally like Mac's brushes though i do find them overpriced. This brush sheds like crazy. It's so hard to use because every time i powder my face it's covered in black hairs after. I think it holds on the product really well and spreads it around my face evenly but the shedding is too much. If i lost this brush i wouldn't repurchase. You're better to go with a sigma or coastal scents brush.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by lumer00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm so torn between how many stars to give this. I decided on two for a couple of reasons. I think this a good blush brush, I had used it exclusively for three years, but it's not the best blush brush. First, it does tend to shed hairs when you first buy it, but that stops over time, now it may shed one hair every few uses, but that it is still unacceptable after three years. I find that with more pigmented blushes (especially those that have a certain firmer texture), I had to blend for far too long. With normal blushes, it was great, but it's just never been a soft brush and that is key to me. Even when I first purchased this, this wasn't the softest MAC brush I've owned. In fact, the hairs down right poked my face right from the beginning, and now it's scratchy compared to what I've replaced it with. With light blushes, I really had to pack on the pigment, by going back into the pan two to three times, which just furthered the discomfort my face felt from the hairs. When I was starting out investing in brushes, MAC was affordable and accessible for me. However, I have slowly replaced most of my MAC brushes for softer, more quality alternatives. Even if you are a makeup beginner, I recommend researching Hakuhodo brushes, the prices for their basic series face brushes are similar and some even less expensive than MAC. I personally recommend the J series (uncut white goat hair, amazingly soft), especially the eye brushes, which are cheaper than MAC and much better quality.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

I bought this brush ages ago (probably over 10 years) and it's shed from day one. I don't often wear blush, so I have likely only used it as much as a daily blush wearer would have for 1-2 years. I generally like it as it applies powder blush well, but it does leave a bristle or two on my face every time I use it, and when I wash it, a couple will fall out, too. I haven't used it as a powder brush, as I think it's a bit too small for that purpose. I wouldn't repurchase this brush due to the shedding, but on the other hand, I can't bring myself to replace it yet since it still works very well. As much as it has shed, it still seems quite full!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like MAC brushes. 129 is a big fluffy brush made of natural hair. I use this one as an all over powder brush, and to blend my blush. I took away one lippy because I do get some shedding, but it's still a good brush. I clean it with baby shampoo, and rinse with a little bit of conditioner.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2013 8:36:00 PM More reviews by Caish

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not a great brush. I bought it to go with my mac studio fix powder and it does the job of putting it on evenly on my whole face quickly and flawlessly but it does shed maybe one hair every time i use it and it isnt soft. I wouldnt call mine scratchy, it doesnt irritate my skin or anything but its not rub your face in it soft. So i bought the real techniques buffing brush to replace it and find that to be a much better brush for a fraction of the price. I sometimes use this brush now for blush or bronzer if i want a bold cheek as it does a good job of putting the product on (be light handed ladies!) but i dont use it for everyday blush or bronzer as its too large to contour and i prefer to use the real techniques brush which gives a more sheer blush look

rated 1 of 5 on 10/12/2013 3:26:00 PM More reviews by rhamed9412

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first mac brush and i was so excited when i got it.. I came home and washed the brush and it shedded like crazy!! I kept it for like 2 weeks and i had to return it bc of how much it shedded!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 7:39:00 PM More reviews by cboylove

My go to powder brush, it works for bronzer/blush but the small size works great for applying powder to my t zone. It barely sheds and stays soft after washing. I've had mine for 2 years. The MAC numbers rub off after a while.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by kiefer5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I probably would have given this 2 lippies but today I was washing this and I noticed by the ferrule a bronze color to the bristles. I thought maybe I had gotten some cream color on it so I tried to wash it out but the bristles started to crumble where I touched that part. I think it had lost the black pigment and now it is shredding and disintegrating. I don't even use this that much either and when I have there is sometimes a stray bristle that I have to pick off my face. This does shed when you wash it too. It is also scratchy feeling and not soft.
I think only MAC eye brushes are worth buying.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 1:17:00 AM More reviews by sroben

Hm...I've been using this brush for almost a year and I haven't had any shedding problems! I actually don't use this for blush but for contouring and applying bronzer instead - I love it! It lasts for a long time if you clean it regularly - definitely an HG brush!