April 20, 2014 | 1811 users online

Fragrance - Ralph Lauren - Polo

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 6:54:00 PM More reviews by hadas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

On my sampling blotter card, the modern version of Polo has a burning kerosene note. Kind of smoky, maybe a bit like a forest fire.
Old version did not have such a note. It was a distinctive, gorgeous, pine-y masculine chypre with leathery ingredient Isobutyl Quinoline in the base. But it didn't have that burning wood/kerosene/forest fire thing going on like what I smell on my spritzed sample card. I sprayed it on a card in Sephora the other and that's what I'm basing my opinion on. The ghost of original Polo is still there underneath the smoky, burnt smell, but it does not smell the same as I remember it from when I was a child in the 80s.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2010 8:32:00 AM More reviews by sowen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

An original and classic fragrance, this was my cologne for about 10 years... in the 1980s. I haven't bought a new bottle since then, and still have about 1/2 of the last bottle I bought.

Nowadays - for today's fashion - it's too overpowering. I can't imagine anyone other than the die-hard dandy buying it anno 2010.

In addition, my nose had become more sensitive so I start to sneeze after using it. But I still have a bottle on my bathroom shelf/mirror because it looks great and I love the smell for the occasional 'trip down memory lane'.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2010 6:40:00 PM More reviews by aquacies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This has been my favorite men's cologne for 20 years. Yes, ever since I was a little newbie teen girl. My first boyfriend wore this, and I convinced many boyfriends since to try it. Thankfully, it was (and still is) my husband's only cologne. The longer he wears it, the better he smells. (Just don't BATHE in it though guys!) It's the only scent he can wear that does not wear off within a few hours. ONE TIP: do NOT buy this at a discount or drug store! We have tried before: Walmart, Walgreens, etc. It is NOT the same stuff. Those bottles smell different and wear off fast. It may cost more, but buy from the department store. This is the only men's cologne that I would recognize on any man, and it always smells good on them. (And makes me a little swoony! :) )
With the cheapy bottles, it is unrecognizable. We finally realized this, and went back to dept. store bottles. My husband smells AMAZING again!
Yes, I know it has a 80's/90's reputation, but I still feel that it is a CLASSIC scent. I agree with other reviewers that don't like the newer "metro" scents on men.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 5:45:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

A young man (high school) scent of pine, leather and spice, . Pretty nice for the holidays,

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2008 10:35:00 PM More reviews by dascha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a nice dry, smoky, natural everyday scent for fall, and have been disappointed with most. But today at Sephora I spritzed some of this, remembering loving it as a girl in junior high, but only having the faintest recollection of the actual scent. Suprise! Such a nice smoky wood on top, very fresh, gorgeous for about an hour, then drying down to a nice dry mossiness with a patchouli base. Yes, this is a masculine but it has none of that Cool Water-ness that just screams "MEN'S COLOGNE!" Unfortunately, this stuff suffers from some serious 80's BAGGAGE. My husband will have none of it since he says every frat boy at his college wore it (he was blackballed out of a fraternity for writing a paper sympathetic to gay rights! In the '90's!)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:24:00 PM More reviews by SadSadie

I suppose this has a use, if you run out of deep woods Off! Yuk!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/28/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Hate it! Too potent and so highschool! My husband was given this barf chunk inducer and I begged him not to wear it! He wore it to work where some of the gals just loved it! Really? Yuck! It's not the worst, but it's not good either! So many better choices! Update: It is strong at first, but it dries down quite nicely. Shocked! Totally shocked! Put me in my place! On the right man, this can be very nice. On others, not too sure. Warning:Don't bathe in it and our noses (and stomachs) will thank you! Also, it's great for the winter months. Maybe use something lighter for the summers, especially here in Arizona with our HEAT! But, the more it's worn, I do find myself enjoying it. And it's a man's cologne! Yay! I don't see women wearing this like all those other sissy fruity-tuty bubbalicious citrusy scents. But, when my man wears the Homme Nature from Yves Rocher, he gets waaaay more compliments than he ever did with Polo! Good, because Homme Nature smells cleaner and less sharp!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2008 10:41:00 AM More reviews by NYC22

I really like this scent on my boyfriend. I always find it distinctive and I never get tired of it. This is a nice contrast to other male fragrances that I find smell too musky and too much like male deodorants. Plus, it seems to last a good amount of time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2008 5:13:00 PM More reviews by girrl65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

My boyfriend wears this and it smells DIVINE on him!!!! This is such a classic fragrance, and nothing at all like those wanker "metro" man scents they have out now. If I was a man I'd wear this all the time!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2008 5:53:00 PM More reviews by rosbergs3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I remember wearing this when i was a punk in the 80's. It's 2008 and i have left my "punkness" in the 80's. And up until now, i thought Polo green was left in the 80's too. I was in Sephora today and i saw it and i sprayed this on the back of both my hands. I was shocked at the authenticity of the pine note. Polo green smells like a dense Norwegian pine forest. This pine forest is covered with an incredibly thick blanket of pure, white snow and the temperatures are frigid. Another scene that comes to mind is lumberjacks doing their trade in an Oregon pine forrest. Imagine the scent being released as the lumberjacks saw through the pine trees to topple them. Now imagine the scent after 100 pine trees have been felled and all the pine trees are lying on the forest floor. Another thing i appreciate about this scent is that it does not have that "mens cologne" vibe that so many mens scents nowadays have. Also, it never turns "cologneish" either. The pine note stays true throughout the duration of the scent. I used to think the best pine note scents were Estee Lauders Private Collection or Winter Delice. WRONG!!!! The BEST pine note scent is Polo green. I have not bought a bottle of this in over 20 years but i think i will have to go back to Sephora tomorrow to buy a full-size bottle.