L'Oreal HiColor High Lift Hair Color

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I got this in magenta and auburn. I'm technically really a black cheery fan over red-orange - strawberry blonde anyday. Once I sure did mixed them.... Ooops, but great results.This brand lasts me eight weeks maximum. This is one of the reasons why I spend extra money and get it done professionally the hair salon. It lasts longer when the hairdresser ferm the beauty parlour does it. This has great reviews online and all over youtube, so I decided to go to beauty store and try it out now. This is much better than than that ion brilliant stuffy. I'm more of a burgundy red lover. Nice package. I leave this on for 35+ minute. Works wonders. will try again. I sue the riverting reds shampoo an condition from sallys, along with my Loreal Total Repair five shampoo and conditioner with it. Riveting reds is a colour depsositing shampoo, it used to have henna in it, it is conditioning, and stains your hair until you wash it out. Aveeda, you must wear gloves for. I got the mixing bowl, colour, and the brush and the whole none yards at sallys. It doesn't burn my hair or scalp or have bad smells. I suggest everyone does an allergy test first, I didn't, neither did mommy, be we should. To avoid hot roots (roots be lighter the rest of the head dyed) I dyed the bottom first and worked my way to the top I watch youtube tutorails and did it myself four times.I need are-touch up soon, my roots are comming in and reds fade quickly because their moleecules are large, and they enter the hair shaft fast, and they exit fast, reds are also the hardest colour the get out.) You know that we are all aware of that. Bottom line, great for dark hair for lack hair and brunettes, I have natural light brown hair it works wonders on me,

on 2/12/2015 1:24:00 AM

I used the color GOLDEN GINGER with the salon care 40 developer. My hair is naturally curly and dark brown but I've dyed it two times last year blue black. I have dry hair btw. But anyways, I did not remove my black hair dye only because I heard a lot about this dye and does wonders but I am so disappointed I actually cried a lil after lol I was applying the dye with a salon brush and it was burning my scalp ALL OVER with one application! But I heard that it does itch or burn so I still continued and left it on. After I finished, my roots and edges immediately turned yellow gold. Literally blonde yellow tone gold. So as so, I left it on for 30 minutes with the burning sensation still continuing and my hair still was black except of course my roots which were still getting lighter and lighter. Then I decided to leave it on for extra 10, and my hair still was fcking black! I washed it out with the color brilliance mini packets conditioner for dry damaged hair. And of course as I expected, my roots were orange and the rest of my hair was black. I was so sad and mad. I wish I can have that damn remote from Click but rewind back ;(( it's just I heard so many good reviews on this line and it's just so bad. Next time for people who DO NOT have Virgin hair I suggest to remove all hair dye from your hair ! I'm seriously about to cry lol my precious hair and hopes ;(

You need to do a strand test before using this. I did one on my partially highlighted hair and the hair got darker instead of lighter andbone it dried the strand started falling apart into little pieces This stuff can really damage your hair. Oh and the kind I tried was Golden Blonde.

on 1/17/2015 1:08:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product in Red with a 30 volume developer to dip dye the ends of my (dyed) auburn hair. I only left it on about 20 minutes, but the result was incredible! Bright, rich color. The aspect of lightening and coloring at the same time really appealed to me, and I'm glad I took a chance on this.

on 12/7/2014 9:10:00 PM

I purchased this color in magenta, and used one box and 2.4 oz of 20 developer (since my hair was a faded auburn color). I left it on for the recommended time which was 30 minutes, and rinsed in cold water. I applied a deep conditioning hair mask afterward, and let my hair air dry. The color turned out rich and quite bright on my roots, since they were dirty blonde but I love it :) also glad I used the 20 volume instead of the recommended 30.

on 11/9/2014 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've used two colors of this dye, Magenta and Shimmering Gold. It's important to notice that the dyes are very different by color group. I have natural thick, dry, warm dark brown/black hair.

First time (with Magenta): My hair somehow went REALLY bright, at least compared to what everyone here is saying. Almost pink. I had to dye over some parts with black dye because it was too much for me! It didn't damage my hair at all and I used 40 vol Sally's developer. It faded to a strawberry deep blonde in a few months with daily shampooing (don't do that to your hair!!)

Second time (with Shimmering Gold): I knew my hair wasn't going to actually be blonde but I was a tad bit disappointed. First dye, it turned out brown. second time, a deep gold color. It's very orangey toned but I think it's a bit too dark to use violet conditioner. It looks nice don't get me wrong but considering how great my first experience was I was expecting more!

But that's not all...the Gold dye made me get the WORST split ends. Six splits on one hair, with regular haircuts and coconut oil conditioning. I'm going to try to dye it over with the Magenta to mask the damage.

In short: Red= good, all else= at your own risk and disappointment

on 7/16/2014 1:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've never had all my hair dyed and I've never dyed my own hair before but given the last time I went to the salon and my highlights cost $200, I decided to try it on my own. Luckily L'Oreal makes this product! My hair is black and I wanted it bright red. At first I bought the standard HiColor in Red Hot and Intense Red to do strand tests but both barely showed up at all. Then I realized I'm supposed to be using the Red from the HiLights!

After doing another strand test, I decided to forge head and bought 2 boxes. Waist length, thick hair... I wasn't sure if that would be enough so I mixed in half of the left over HiColor in Red Hot. Mixed in 30 developer and luckily, my friend volunteered to help me brush it all in. Even using 2.5 boxes, I only had a little left at the end so when you buy, make sure you have enough. Better to have extra than not enough!

Just a side note for those with sensitive noses: You may want to do this in a well ventilated area.

Ok.. Where were we... In hindsight, since I have so much hair it may have been better to just slather the dye into my hair rather than brush it in because it took basically 30 minutes to get all my hair covered anyway. Because of that some of my hair got a lot longer time but it didn't seem to be much brighter even though some of it sat for 45 minutes or more. What we probably should have done though, was start with the ends and work up to the roots. We started coloring at the roots and it seems to be much much brighter than the rest of my hair. (Or maybe use the blow dryer's hot setting on the ends like another reviewer did?)

Overall, great product. The things I could be happier with were mainly due to inexperience and human error - I should have researched more. Ha. Maybe I'll redye it in a few months to get it even brighter and more even. Starting at the ends.

on 7/15/2014 10:01:00 PM

I could not find a review specifically for Hicolor Hilights in Red or Magenta, so just putting my experience here. This is the best stuff ever. I have tried Manic Panic, Splat, Pravana, John Frieda box, and a Garnier box in the past trying to get bright red/red velvet hair (basically Rhianna red, though Ariana Grande was my original inspiration). Nothing worked as well, not even close, in fact Splat is the only one that did more than give my brown hair a red tint and that required a bleach that fried my hair and it faded to an ugly ginger brown in less than 2 weeks. After that I used the box color from Walmart and got dark dark brown hair with a red tint, the cherry cola type color, which was not what I wanted. Being that I now had dark hair, and box haircolored at that, I figured I was SOL but gave manic panic a shot. Again, I just got a tint and it bled all over the place and got all over everything even when dry no matter how much I rinsed, so I was not a fan. I did test Pravana several times on my hair but it would require pre-bleaching as the color never took, again I just had a faint hint that vanished in the shower.

So this is where my hair was, box dyed a dark cherry cola color (that's generous with the cherry part, in the sun I had red glints, other than that, I just had dark brown hair). My natural hair color is a medium dark brown, not quite chocolate. If you look at John Frieda's color chart I would say I'm about a Medium Ash Brown naturally, so for reference, that's the root color that I'm dying when I get regrowth. The box dye I colored over was much much darker.

I picked up Hicolor Hilights in Red at Sally's along with a vol 30 developer. You also need a bowl, a measuring cup with ounces listed, something ot mix with (I use leftover chopsticks. Hey, free), and gloves. I don't like using a brush. The box says 2.4 oz developer to 1 tube of color, but I just said screw it and do 2.5 oz, not 2.4. I mix it up until it's not lumpy any more and then with my gloves on I just kind of slap it all over my head, massage it in, put my hair up, and put a plastic bag over my head (stay with me, it works). I then blow dry over the bag for about 5 minutes and wrap my head in a towel to keep the heat in. After 15 minutes I do another 5 minutes of heat and rewrap, and then 15 minutes after that, I rinse.

I do rinse in cold water, but I do not take cold showers after this. I do not shampoo, but I do condition (I've used Ion packets from Sally and also Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist. No preference there). I will not wash my hair for 2-3 days after dying, but after that I do use shampoo and conditioner like normal, in hot showers. I use Ulta's Red line, a shampoo, a conditioner, and a color depositing glaze, but I've also used Ulta's volumizing shampoo, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist, and in a pinch, hotel shampoo with no problems. Occasionally I use It's a 10 spray after I shower to condition, but not often. My hair really isn't damaged from all this. I have found as time goes on and I touch up my roots that there is NO difference on my hair between the Hicolor Hilights in Red or in Magenta.

Another big plus is this color has not really faded. My ends are less vibrant but it's been over a month of taking hot showers every other day. If you can shower less and/or shower in cold water, yours may stay even more vibrant, but even after over a month since my last color I get compliments on it almost every time I leave the house.

I will upload pics of before/after so you can see exactly what color I had, and how well this works. My photo shows before & after with the shade MAGENTA because it's not very magenta at all, Red and Magenta look the same on me, very bright.

I'd read a few reviews on this and was eager to try a product (that wasn't full-on bleach) that could potentially lighten my naturally dark hair with minimal damage.
You see, my hair is decently prone to dryness and breakage.
It's also is a very dark brown (almost black), it's virgin hair and it's curly. I didn't want to use bleaching powder because a) I didn't want to risk my hair breaking off/drying out/getting significantly weaker b) I didn't want it to turn bright orange
So I opted for this hi-lift dye instead.
I used the shade "ash blonde" (I was hoping the "ash" would prevent brassiness)
I left it on for the recomended 30 minutes and well....I was left with a rather warm brassy orang-y-brown colour...it looks brown it some light but it's a pretty bright orange in the sun/natural light.
I was kinda dissapointed. I mean, I wasn't expecting it to actually be "ash bonde" or anything after one application, but I also wasn't expecting it to be super orange...I was kinda hoping for just a lighter brown

It does have some redeeming qualities though.
1. It didn't noticibly dry out my hair. The texture feels just about the same as it did before.
2. It did lift my dark hair an impressive amount for something that isn't full-on bleach.

Honestly, despite the brassiness, I think I would buy it again if I plan on lightening any more of my hair since it has virtually the same effect as bleach minus the damage.

I will however need buy some sort of toner or ashy semi-permanant dye to neatralize the orange.....

So. If you have dark virgin hair, this is a great lightening alternative to bleach.
Expect brassiness though.

on 6/26/2014 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

definitely the best red at home colour I've tried! haven't found it in shops around australia so i purchased it off ebay, shipping's expensive (around $15 for a $5 product) but worth it so buy a few boxes at once!
i tried the colour 'deep auburn red' i have black hair but it was dyed a chocolate brown. there was no difference from the roots to coloured hair so no super bright roots! its absolutely beautiful under natural/bright lights, a bit maroon-y, but just looks brown under dark lights.
its a bit more brown/red than the hair sample but its prefect if you want a subtle red.
i used 30 creme developer & doesn't damage my hair. also only needed 1 box for just under shoulder length hair. mid back length or longer would probably need 2 boxes.
the only problem i have with this is it fades pretty quickly, but then again its winter so I've been using hot water & i work out a lot so i wash my hair nearly every day.
overall, definitely works to lighten & make hair red, can't wait to try one of the lighter shades to have a brighter colour!

Popular Hair Color Products