L'Oreal HiColor High Lift Hair Color

on 7/25/2015 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this color in magenta after wanting my hair red for 3 years. I used a 30 vol developer my hair was virgin black and it came out super bright. I had caramel highlights on the front of my hair and now they look like cool pink highlights! everything else came out a deep pink based red and I love it! I could not be happier about this product. Although, the product had a very chemical smell that was annoying but the color was worth it. Also, it stained my bathtub but nothing a little bleach couldn't fix. My hair is thick east african hair that's nipple length (lol) and I required 3 boxes. All in all, great product! Will definitely purchase again.

on 7/19/2015 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

READ THIS IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE 20 VOLUME DEVELOPER ON DARK BROWN HAIR. I've always wanted red hair, but I've never had the guts to bleach my hair. I recently cut my hair short, so any hair that has been dyed is long gone. I read amazing reviews about the Red color (just red) and I decided to give it a try. Me and my mom went to Sally's and bought it, and thinking that we had 30 vol developer, we passed on buying any. We get home, and I realize we only had 20. I have extremely dark brown hair, like almost black. I decided to give it a try with the 20, see what happened u know? We did a patch test, left it in for maybe over an hour, and I got peachy pink hair! I'm happy that it lifted my brown hair!! that must mean it works way better with 30 vol. I'm going to get the 30 vol tomorrow and try it out. I'll update this review tomorrow. I figure, if it doesn't take my hair to the bright red I want, I'll just put Ion red hair dye on top and it'll be fine. I just don't want to bleach my hair.
EDIT: so I just finished my hair, and let me just say it stung my scalp, almost burned, although my hair feels fine. I think it's because my scalp is very delicate. ANYWAYS the hair color coverage is very uneven, but I'm pretty sure that's because my mom didn't use enough dye. overall, the parts that got coverage are very nice. some parts are dark dark red and others are light red/pink. minimal damage, nothing a couple of deep conditioning with coconut oil can't fix.

on 7/16/2015 9:24:00 PM

I purchase the L'Oreal Excellence Hi Colour in shade RED HOT (Black Box).

PROS:
- I have tried many drugstore hair dye products and it would give me a tint in the sun. This works really well on dark hair - this colour gives a burgundy colour in natural light and in bright lights/sun, it's brighter.
- does not damage my hair (I have previous chemical treated hair)
- does not fade quickly, the colour lasted pretty long on my hair
- very satisfied with how it turned out- highly recommended!

CONS:
- stains certain places if you are not careful (if you can't get the stain off your bathroom wall or other places, you can get the magic eraser)
- can get messy since this colour is red
- can stain your skin (use Vaseline or Ponds cold cream around your face /ears and have makeup remover wipes handy to wipe off when you get it on your skin).

The Products I Used:

1. Loreal Excellence Hi Colour in shade RED HOT (Make sure Black Box)

2. Salon Care 30 Volume Cream Developer (there's different sizes)

3. For measuring product and mixing products. You can choose between a Applicator Bottle + brush

OR a mixing bowl + brush http://www.sallybeauty.com/mixing-bowl/SBS-305961,default,pd.html AND

Instructions are on the box:

4. 1 box of Loreal Hi Colour in Red Hot AND 2.5 oz of Salon Care Cream Developer
5. MIx and apply products on hair
5. Use a plastic bag and cover your whole head so it has heat to make the colour go in well
6. Wait 30 minutes and rinse hair until water runs clear.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I've used this product in the following colors: My starting color is a level 4 ash. My heritage is Asian and I have a medium texture hair type.

- Cool Light Brown
- Magenta
- Sandstone Blonde
- Golden Blonde

- Cool Light Brown
This is the color I currently use as a root bump because I have golden blonde full head foils. It is a nice brownish color and I use a 20 volume to do the root bump, I leave it on without covering, for 1/2 hour and it's good to go. Next time I will mix it with Sandstone Blonde. It has no brass and is a very natural tone.

- Magenta
I used this color for a punk rock look before and it was very nice. I mixed it with the 40 volume developer on virgin hair, foiled the lengths and then for the last half hour of processing time, I put it on my roots, I processed for a total of 2 hours without heat that time and it came out nice as the color was intended to be. However it faded to almost a cotton candy pink.

- Sandstone Blonde
This is a very nice dark honey blonde color and comparable to Palty Milk Tea Brown or Dark and Lovely Honey Blonde. It is a light brown color. I use the 40 developer and foil on the lengths. Because this is a blonde shade we have to be more careful to avoid unwanted warmth. So I have to process it with heat on the lengths for 1 1/2 hours on virgin hair. Then I put it on the roots for 1/2 hour, without heat, and with 20 or 30 volume.

- Vanilla Champagne
I did not like this color because it did not have enough of an ash drabber to reduce brassiness. However I like my hair color to be very cool and panic at any hint of unwanted warmth. Maybe, it's because I didn't use heat for a long time. For lighter blonde highlights I now use a lightener plus a toner for double process instead of doing a single process.

on 6/5/2015 8:23:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I bought L'Oreal HiColor High Lift Hair Color in Soft Brown and L'Oreal Developer level 30. I dyed my hair auburn in the past but used dark brown. I spent the past couple of weeks fading my hair dye with the vitamin C method along with baking soda and clarifying shampoo. Well, as soon as I opened the dye, my eyed watered. The developer doesn't have a smell. The dye nearly killed me. My eyes were watery and nose dripped. The smell is absolutely too strong. I know L'Oreal box dyes smell strongly of chemicals but the techniques line is worst. Not only that but I got a headache and the dye burned my scalp.

I followed the directions and washed the dye out. Conditioned like crazy and looked in the mirror. Orange roots with darker red/brown shaft to ends. I'm not impressed with the color at the roots. At least my ends are not orange. My scalp is sore and I had the headache after washing the dye out. I think L'Oreal is the worst hair dye out there. Don't use it. I'm lucky I have hair!!! Hopefully it doesn't fall out.

I'm not happy with the results so I will dedicate some time to taking care of it with leave in conditioners and proteins, avoiding heat, and then at the end of the month, I'll use Revlon in dark brown just to cover the roots. I never had a problem with Revlon and from now on I will stick to that brand! It's not strong and has the least chemical smell.

*UPDATE: 6/19/2015. My hair color has darkened a bit but my hair texture is different. I had to do a lot of leave in conditioners to heal my hair. My scalp is back to normal. My new growth is starting to show. My hair basically looks like a reverse ombre. I'm still waiting until my hair is a bit stronger to dye it using Revlon blue black.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I got this in magenta and auburn. I'm technically really a black cheery fan over red-orange - strawberry blonde anyday. Once I sure did mixed them.... Ooops, but great results.This brand lasts me eight weeks maximum. This is one of the reasons why I spend extra money and get it done professionally the hair salon. It lasts longer when the hairdresser ferm the beauty parlour does it. This has great reviews online and all over youtube, so I decided to go to beauty store and try it out now. This is much better than than that ion brilliant stuffy. I'm more of a burgundy red lover. Nice package. I leave this on for 35+ minute. Works wonders. will try again. I sue the riverting reds shampoo an condition from sallys, along with my Loreal Total Repair five shampoo and conditioner with it. Riveting reds is a colour depsositing shampoo, it used to have henna in it, it is conditioning, and stains your hair until you wash it out. Aveeda, you must wear gloves for. I got the mixing bowl, colour, and the brush and the whole none yards at sallys. It doesn't burn my hair or scalp or have bad smells. I suggest everyone does an allergy test first, I didn't, neither did mommy, be we should. To avoid hot roots (roots be lighter the rest of the head dyed) I dyed the bottom first and worked my way to the top I watch youtube tutorails and did it myself four times.I need are-touch up soon, my roots are comming in and reds fade quickly because their moleecules are large, and they enter the hair shaft fast, and they exit fast, reds are also the hardest colour the get out.) You know that we are all aware of that. Bottom line, great for dark hair for lack hair and brunettes, I have natural light brown hair it works wonders on me,

on 2/12/2015 1:24:00 AM

I used the color GOLDEN GINGER with the salon care 40 developer. My hair is naturally curly and dark brown but I've dyed it two times last year blue black. I have dry hair btw. But anyways, I did not remove my black hair dye only because I heard a lot about this dye and does wonders but I am so disappointed I actually cried a lil after lol I was applying the dye with a salon brush and it was burning my scalp ALL OVER with one application! But I heard that it does itch or burn so I still continued and left it on. After I finished, my roots and edges immediately turned yellow gold. Literally blonde yellow tone gold. So as so, I left it on for 30 minutes with the burning sensation still continuing and my hair still was black except of course my roots which were still getting lighter and lighter. Then I decided to leave it on for extra 10, and my hair still was fcking black! I washed it out with the color brilliance mini packets conditioner for dry damaged hair. And of course as I expected, my roots were orange and the rest of my hair was black. I was so sad and mad. I wish I can have that damn remote from Click but rewind back ;(( it's just I heard so many good reviews on this line and it's just so bad. Next time for people who DO NOT have Virgin hair I suggest to remove all hair dye from your hair ! I'm seriously about to cry lol my precious hair and hopes ;(

You need to do a strand test before using this. I did one on my partially highlighted hair and the hair got darker instead of lighter andbone it dried the strand started falling apart into little pieces This stuff can really damage your hair. Oh and the kind I tried was Golden Blonde.

on 1/17/2015 1:08:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I used this product in Red with a 30 volume developer to dip dye the ends of my (dyed) auburn hair. I only left it on about 20 minutes, but the result was incredible! Bright, rich color. The aspect of lightening and coloring at the same time really appealed to me, and I'm glad I took a chance on this.

on 12/7/2014 9:10:00 PM

I purchased this color in magenta, and used one box and 2.4 oz of 20 developer (since my hair was a faded auburn color). I left it on for the recommended time which was 30 minutes, and rinsed in cold water. I applied a deep conditioning hair mask afterward, and let my hair air dry. The color turned out rich and quite bright on my roots, since they were dirty blonde but I love it :) also glad I used the 20 volume instead of the recommended 30.