October 24, 2014 | 1798 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - HiColor High Lift Hair Color

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by redfrizzt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've never had all my hair dyed and I've never dyed my own hair before but given the last time I went to the salon and my highlights cost $200, I decided to try it on my own. Luckily L'Oreal makes this product! My hair is black and I wanted it bright red. At first I bought the standard HiColor in Red Hot and Intense Red to do strand tests but both barely showed up at all. Then I realized I'm supposed to be using the Red from the HiLights!

After doing another strand test, I decided to forge head and bought 2 boxes. Waist length, thick hair... I wasn't sure if that would be enough so I mixed in half of the left over HiColor in Red Hot. Mixed in 30 developer and luckily, my friend volunteered to help me brush it all in. Even using 2.5 boxes, I only had a little left at the end so when you buy, make sure you have enough. Better to have extra than not enough!

Just a side note for those with sensitive noses: You may want to do this in a well ventilated area.

Ok.. Where were we... In hindsight, since I have so much hair it may have been better to just slather the dye into my hair rather than brush it in because it took basically 30 minutes to get all my hair covered anyway. Because of that some of my hair got a lot longer time but it didn't seem to be much brighter even though some of it sat for 45 minutes or more. What we probably should have done though, was start with the ends and work up to the roots. We started coloring at the roots and it seems to be much much brighter than the rest of my hair. (Or maybe use the blow dryer's hot setting on the ends like another reviewer did?)

Overall, great product. The things I could be happier with were mainly due to inexperience and human error - I should have researched more. Ha. Maybe I'll redye it in a few months to get it even brighter and more even. Starting at the ends.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2014 10:01:00 PM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I could not find a review specifically for Hicolor Hilights in Red or Magenta, so just putting my experience here. This is the best stuff ever. I have tried Manic Panic, Splat, Pravana, John Frieda box, and a Garnier box in the past trying to get bright red/red velvet hair (basically Rhianna red, though Ariana Grande was my original inspiration). Nothing worked as well, not even close, in fact Splat is the only one that did more than give my brown hair a red tint and that required a bleach that fried my hair and it faded to an ugly ginger brown in less than 2 weeks. After that I used the box color from Walmart and got dark dark brown hair with a red tint, the cherry cola type color, which was not what I wanted. Being that I now had dark hair, and box haircolored at that, I figured I was SOL but gave manic panic a shot. Again, I just got a tint and it bled all over the place and got all over everything even when dry no matter how much I rinsed, so I was not a fan. I did test Pravana several times on my hair but it would require pre-bleaching as the color never took, again I just had a faint hint that vanished in the shower.

So this is where my hair was, box dyed a dark cherry cola color (that's generous with the cherry part, in the sun I had red glints, other than that, I just had dark brown hair). My natural hair color is a medium dark brown, not quite chocolate. If you look at John Frieda's color chart I would say I'm about a Medium Ash Brown naturally, so for reference, that's the root color that I'm dying when I get regrowth. The box dye I colored over was much much darker.

I picked up Hicolor Hilights in Red at Sally's along with a vol 30 developer. You also need a bowl, a measuring cup with ounces listed, something ot mix with (I use leftover chopsticks. Hey, free), and gloves. I don't like using a brush. The box says 2.4 oz developer to 1 tube of color, but I just said screw it and do 2.5 oz, not 2.4. I mix it up until it's not lumpy any more and then with my gloves on I just kind of slap it all over my head, massage it in, put my hair up, and put a plastic bag over my head (stay with me, it works). I then blow dry over the bag for about 5 minutes and wrap my head in a towel to keep the heat in. After 15 minutes I do another 5 minutes of heat and rewrap, and then 15 minutes after that, I rinse.

I do rinse in cold water, but I do not take cold showers after this. I do not shampoo, but I do condition (I've used Ion packets from Sally and also Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist. No preference there). I will not wash my hair for 2-3 days after dying, but after that I do use shampoo and conditioner like normal, in hot showers. I use Ulta's Red line, a shampoo, a conditioner, and a color depositing glaze, but I've also used Ulta's volumizing shampoo, Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist, and in a pinch, hotel shampoo with no problems. Occasionally I use It's a 10 spray after I shower to condition, but not often. My hair really isn't damaged from all this. I have found as time goes on and I touch up my roots that there is NO difference on my hair between the Hicolor Hilights in Red or in Magenta.

Another big plus is this color has not really faded. My ends are less vibrant but it's been over a month of taking hot showers every other day. If you can shower less and/or shower in cold water, yours may stay even more vibrant, but even after over a month since my last color I get compliments on it almost every time I leave the house.

I will upload pics of before/after so you can see exactly what color I had, and how well this works. My photo shows before & after with the shade MAGENTA because it's not very magenta at all, Red and Magenta look the same on me, very bright.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by tiffsbarrington

I'd read a few reviews on this and was eager to try a product (that wasn't full-on bleach) that could potentially lighten my naturally dark hair with minimal damage.
You see, my hair is decently prone to dryness and breakage.
It's also is a very dark brown (almost black), it's virgin hair and it's curly. I didn't want to use bleaching powder because a) I didn't want to risk my hair breaking off/drying out/getting significantly weaker b) I didn't want it to turn bright orange
So I opted for this hi-lift dye instead.
I used the shade "ash blonde" (I was hoping the "ash" would prevent brassiness)
I left it on for the recomended 30 minutes and well....I was left with a rather warm brassy orang-y-brown colour...it looks brown it some light but it's a pretty bright orange in the sun/natural light.
I was kinda dissapointed. I mean, I wasn't expecting it to actually be "ash bonde" or anything after one application, but I also wasn't expecting it to be super orange...I was kinda hoping for just a lighter brown

It does have some redeeming qualities though.
1. It didn't noticibly dry out my hair. The texture feels just about the same as it did before.
2. It did lift my dark hair an impressive amount for something that isn't full-on bleach.

Honestly, despite the brassiness, I think I would buy it again if I plan on lightening any more of my hair since it has virtually the same effect as bleach minus the damage.

I will however need buy some sort of toner or ashy semi-permanant dye to neatralize the orange.....

So. If you have dark virgin hair, this is a great lightening alternative to bleach.
Expect brassiness though.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by CeeMarie21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

definitely the best red at home colour I've tried! haven't found it in shops around australia so i purchased it off ebay, shipping's expensive (around $15 for a $5 product) but worth it so buy a few boxes at once!
i tried the colour 'deep auburn red' i have black hair but it was dyed a chocolate brown. there was no difference from the roots to coloured hair so no super bright roots! its absolutely beautiful under natural/bright lights, a bit maroon-y, but just looks brown under dark lights.
its a bit more brown/red than the hair sample but its prefect if you want a subtle red.
i used 30 creme developer & doesn't damage my hair. also only needed 1 box for just under shoulder length hair. mid back length or longer would probably need 2 boxes.
the only problem i have with this is it fades pretty quickly, but then again its winter so I've been using hot water & i work out a lot so i wash my hair nearly every day.
overall, definitely works to lighten & make hair red, can't wait to try one of the lighter shades to have a brighter colour!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 12:32:00 PM More reviews by EllieRichardsxx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just bought this on amazon (Magenta) also bought the Oreor creme 30 volume developer to go with it. My hair is red anyway, but quite dark but not to the point where nothing will show up. Anyone know how this will turn out on my hair? I recently dyed my hair Crazy colour fire red but that was only semi permanent and it's kind of washing out already, that came out bright, but my natural hair colour is originally dark brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by BGlopez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Magenta! this product is amazing the color comes out nicely every time

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update 5/4/14: So it's been a few weeks since doing this and let me just say I LOVE my haircolor. It ended up washing out a lot of product because I wash my hair daily and use hot water. The color ended up fading into a beautiful color than cannot even be described but it suits me much better than the original color. It's like a brown with pinky under tones and I've gotten many compliments on it. I cannot wait to see how my natural ombre turns out when it grows out!!

I'm rating it 5 lippies purely at the fact that it indeed turned my virgin black hair into a dark burgundy with a lot of pink undertones, meaning the product successfully lightened my hair without having to pre-bleach even though it does certainly have bleached inside the product.. I originally had a few "peekaboo" highlights that were bleached blonde with my black hair and it looked amazing. After becoming too impatient I gave in a bought this in MAGENTA since I was aiming for a dark burgundy color!

Omg. I have really nice tan bronze skin and the color looks good. The highlights however became the dealbreaker. They turned hot pink. and by hot pink I mean the kind that look stupid on a 21 year old college student. Lol. I should have been smarter because I mean duhhh if I put magenta on top of blonde highlights itll turn pink. But still.. I ended up using my dad's just for men beard touch up in dark brown on just the highlights to get rid of the crazy color. Looking back at pictures, it really wasn't thaaat bad and would've faded into a nicer color but I was still in school and it just felt too drastic for me personally.

Anyways, I really am pleased with the color that it turned out to after having it on the bottom half of my hair for 20min & finally applying to the roots for the last ten minutes. Honestly to avoid hot roots, just start in 5 minute increments. Even applying to my roots for the last 10 minutes didn't let me avoid bright-er roots but mine is manageable.

** Keep in mind on blonde hair, this stuff turns HOT PINK.

If you're like me and kind of freak out everytime you see yourself with a pink haircolor in the mirror but don't want to re-dye it right away to avoid damage, wearing black & different shades of pink (only some will work) help as well as wearing darker eyeliner. I really was unsure about my color but I feel better with my semi mermaid hair now!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by Pumaflex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love vibrant red hair and have always been deeply disappointed with regular boxed dye. I started using vampire red manic panic to color my hair but I'd have to re dye almost every week to keep the red the way I wanted it. A friend of mine recommended loreal hi color hi lights. I went to Sally's and bought the magenta instead of the red ( the red hair swatch looked too orange/red for my liking) I grabbed a bottle of 40 volume developer and went home. I researched on how it would turn out and I went ahead with dying with my fingers crossed. I was a bit scared of the 40 vol developer making my hair too light but I was presently surprised that it gave me exactly the results I wanted. I left the product in my hair for a total of 20 minutes instead of the full 30 minutes and I still achieved a beautiful red with vibrant magenta undertones. Most recommend a 2nd dye to get an even more vibrant color but I decided what the 1st dye accomplished is bright enough. Compared to manic panic which pretty much stains your hair, the loreal hi color bled out very little after the first shampoo since dying. This dye is by far the best I've ever used. I will never go back to boxed dye again! If you are looking for an intense red/magenta and your hair is dark...use this product!! I will say though, my hair is naturally dark brown but has been dyed over many many times. Everyone has different hair so some hair might not take to the color as well as mine did. If this is your first time dying your hair without using boxed dye, do your research, buy the correct developer for your hair, and for the results you want to achieve.
I am absolutely in LOVE with my hair, I think it looks stunning with my very pale skin complexion and compliments my green eyes. It is a color that pops and will turn heads.
The damage done with the developer is almost a 0 out of 10. I do notice my hair a tad drier then before but it's nothing a deep conditioning won't fix. There was barely any fumes but I always color my hair in the bathroom with the window open, some reviews on here said the fumes made them sick for days but I barely noticed any smell, if anything, I did smell a pleasant fragrance though, probably from the developer I used. Of course, use gloves because it will stain your skin a bit. I don't usually review products but I had to make an account on here just so I could! I have no complaints about this product, I'm so glad I switched from manic panic to loreal hicolor, although one of the biggest reasons I choose manic panic was because it did no damage to my hair because there was no developer used, I will take the minimal damage loreal does to my hair because the color lasts SOOOOOO much longer and is more vibrant than manic panic.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 2:42:00 AM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Gorgeous used with 30 weight clear developer. Left on 30 minutes and got a beautiful cherry red to burgundy ombre in my hair. My natural color is a very dark charcoal brown that I had dyed Garnier Intense Light Auburn but that stripped my hair too much. Do recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 11:58:00 PM More reviews by princessho

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is amazing! Made my dark brown hair a deep red color with no bleach at all. Would and will buy again.