December 19, 2014 | 1797 users online

Highlighters - Alima - Illuminating Shimmer Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by wingedfrog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Colour: WHISPER. A silvery-pink shimmer. This works really well for my pale, neutral-slightly pink skin tone. It doesn't really deposit colour so much as just make my skin glow.

Texture: I found it to be very fine, though as it's powder it's difficult to get it onto a brush uniformly, without swirling it a lot/using a large brush which would waste a lot of product for me as I apply it only in small select areas (I use a fan brush).

Uses: I apply this along my cheekbones and down the bridge of my nose. I have oily skin, so I avoid using it all over/ on the forehead and chin. I'm not sure how good it would look all over anyway, probably too much unless you mixed just a tiny bit with your foundation.

Overall, this gives me a really nice glow. It's not in-your-face obvious, but when you turn your head and the light brushes across your cheekbones, your skin gives this pretty, diffused shimmer. If you want something super obvious, try a cream highlighter, otherwise, definitely give it a shot!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2008 5:00:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Nectar is a beautiful peach-gold shimmer with invisibly small particles - almost more of a glow than a shimmer. Put it on cheekbones, above brows, on bridge of nose and it relieves that matte Alima look (I prefer the matte blushes to the shimmers).

D'Oro, Luna and Sorbet are nice too; I'm g-3 and probably use Nectar and D'Oro the most. Dust it on lightly and make sure to blend it out, or you can get a shiny dot where the brush first touches down! It will last forever, too, you need so little.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2007 1:31:00 PM More reviews by toastyfrenchy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have samples of this in Whisper, Lumina, and Sorbet. I have pale neutral skin (Chiffon, N1 in alima foundation). The formula = awesome. Perfect, silky, fine-milled texture. The pigments = gorgeous. Whisper is a silvery pink, Lumina a silvery beige, and Sorbet a very light peachy gold. I especially love Sorbet; I layer it over Tarte's Blushing Bride cheek stain and I get a beautiful, flushed and glowing look. All of the highlighters are great as eyeshadows, too.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2007 2:59:00 AM More reviews by prettypopy

I was so excited when I saw how beautiful the color selections on this website. I ordered a bunch, and sadly none of the products from Alima is usable to me. The review I am doing is alima illuminating shimmer powder is the shade called WHISPER. For reference, I have oily dry skin combo sensitive skin with blemishes and imperfections. I was hoping that this product would brighten my complexion and smooth out my skin without causing skin disorders. I only used this powder one time so I do not know the long term effect of this stuff on contributing tot skin disorders. The powder is beautiful in the bag. I paid $1.00 for barely there zippy bag sample. it looked incredibly beautiful in the bag and I was thrilled to try it on. It look like this line cosmetics could become my HG. Application was easy but the texture was horrible inspite of using the finest natural bristle blusher brush. It was so bumpy that I had to stop after finishing on my chin to prevent this stuff from spreading to the rest of my face. The glittery shine was so artificial and clumpy. There is none of that airbrushed luminous trannslucent healthy skin look that I was hoping for. I was sorely disappointed. I also bought blushes, and powder foundation from them. The only thing I might consider using on this line of cosmetic would be their blushes, but that unfortunately also causes me to break out with bumps. Powder foundation has absolutely no coverage. I would not repurchase again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2007 9:11:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I have a sample of this in "Lumina", which is an extremely pale, light neutral gold shimmer powder that adds no color and a pretty sheen to my cheeks without looking overtly glittery (especially if spritzed with a facial mist after application to melt it into the skin better). I'm not a fan of the slightly dusty texture (as opposed to the sometimes creamy feel of MAC pigments or Becca Shimmer Powders, for example), since that makes the stuff harder to work with. Overall this is nice--the color is a great brow and cheekbone highlight, similar to Vanilla pigment but paler--but I've tried nicer shimmer powders. But these seem to be a good option if you're switching over to a mineral-only makeup regimen.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2007 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Ch3r

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I think Alima highlighters are beautiful (as I do all their other products). I have slightly oily skin, and I know they say that oily-skinned ladies shouldn't really use highlighters or anything that could potentially make us look more oily, but I use them anyway, because I just love the glowy look. It makes me look like I drank 3 litres of water (I try, but I usually don't get to the recommended 2 litres a day). The secret is really to only put it where you need it, and dust very lightly in order to avoid the disco-ball look (the Alima buff brush also helps). I also use it over my Alima matte blushes to make them shimmery. I have D'oro, which is a sheer gold which i use for over my blush, so I don't change the colour of my blush, and I have Dolce which is a copper which I like to use as a bit of a bronzer over my G4/G5 skin so that I don't look too yellow. Gs are very yellow, and sometimes I need a little bit of brown/olive for a little extra color or for when i tan. If you like your makeup matte, this isn't for you, on the other hand, if you like highlighters I definitely recommend this.