October 2, 2014 | 1929 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Sun Wear Daily Sunblock Lotion SPF 50

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 1:28:00 PM More reviews by bluebirdie_ca

This review is for Banana Boat Daily Sunblock Lotion SPF50 with AvoTriplex. I've used Banana Boat sunblock many years ago but switched to Neutrogena Dry touch and loved it for summer time. However, my last winter facial sunblock Neutrogena Age Shield resulted in great disappointment. So when I was looking for replacement, naturally I reached for a different brand. I purchased the Banana Boat sunblock because it stated "Sheer" somewhere on the package. And the price was quite reasonable. I thought even if I don't care for it, it's not much loss.
The Banana Boat sunblock worked out much better than the Neutrogena Age Shield for my skin. While the N brand could be rolled up like Elmers glue, the Banana Boat sunblock dried up to a sheer finish and does not rolled up when I apply foundation or powder over it. unlike the N brand age shield, the Banana Boat also feels light on my skin.
When I purchased the Banana Boat sunblock at the store, they were out of the Banana Boat Facial sunblock. For now, I use the daily sunblock on my face, neck, shoulder, and arm. When I found the facial sunblock in this line, I will definitely purchase and try it out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2009 7:18:00 PM More reviews by linwild

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I'm a sunscreen junkie who tans easily and is concerned about skin cancer, spots, and wrinkles. I look for products that are photostable and have high UVA protection as well as UVB protection. I try to buy products with Mexoryl XL and SX, but selection is sometimes limited here in the States. This product sinks into the skin and speads easily, leaves no white cast, and is neither sticky nor greasy. According to the manufacturer, its Avotriplex formula renders it photostable, and according to third-party sites, it has a decent PPD rating (indicating UVA protection). It has a light fruity scent that I like but might turn other people off.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2008 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Virgo03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is probably the sheerest sunblock I've ever tried. There's no white cast, no streaks, no little crumbs. It goes on smoothly, and requires little or no blending. It just disappears on your skin! It maybe slightly on the greasy side, but not the worst I've tried.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2008 12:06:00 AM More reviews by heartspun

I purchased the spray mist version of this product. I use the SPF 30 "Faces" lotion in the same line, and have been pretty happy with it. I thought this high-SPF spray sunblock would be a nice solution for the rest of the body because as a fair-skinned redhead who loves to The bottle is nicely designed, although the lotion came out rather thickly which I wasn't expecting. Even worse, once it was applied and I rubbed it into my skin, my skin began BURNING! It was very uncomfortable on my arms, neck, shoulders and back. I felt like I had a fever! There was no visible redness but the burning sensation was terrible. After the burning went away (fifteen full minutes later!), the sunscreen seemed to work as I had hoped - no greasy feel, absorbed fully, and protected very well on a long bike ride. Still, there is no way I will ever use the product again and I'm going to have to just throw away a $10 bottle of sunscreen. :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Picked this up at the drugstore because I was going to the beach and in too much of a hurry to ponder and look at MUA reviews. Went by the label (!) which says this sunscreen is not only SPF 50 with broad spectrum protection but is photostable. I was also lured by the promise of a non-greasy feel and light scent.

I do not use this on my face (I'm very happy with my Sofina UV Lucent). I was pleased to find that the sunscreen did live up to its label. I sat in the sun for four or five hours and did not get burnt at all, though I did tan. This sunscreen has a gloppy, silky texture that's a bit lighter than a typical sunscreen and rubs in far faster, leaving a non-greasy or sticky feel. My old Coppertone spray left me feeling like a piece of flypaper. There is a very faint 'sunscreen' fragrance and some kind of light masking scent. I am fairly sensitive to fragrance and this didn't bother me at all. If I sniff my arm, I can detect a slight perfume but that's all.

Overall I'm quite pleased with this sunscreen. I like the non-loud colors on the packaging, the squeeze tube, texture, scent, amount of protection, etc. The price was higher at Walgreens (9.99) than the prices people are quoting here, so I feel slightly cheated but it's still alright. I'll just have to go check elsewhere when I run out. Would repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2008 12:37:00 AM More reviews by kawaiishinichan

I only used this on my body, because I was too scared to put it on my face. The only thing i dislike is the smell. It's hard to describe but it has a very strong sweet odor that I really dislike. But the sunscreen is very light. It blends into your skin very quickly, unlike other lotions that take lots of rubbing to absorb. One tube has a lot of product and a little goes a long way, plus it is organic. So I would buy again even though I hate the smell, but it goes away so it's alright. Got it walmart for 6.77, which appears to be quite cheaper than other places.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2008 12:11:00 PM More reviews by jennifer42

This is my HG sunscreen. It is photostable AND it does not contain any silicones. My skin cannot tolerate silicones and it is very hard to find a moisturizing SS w/o cones. I use it on my face with no problems.

The scent is light and doesn't bother me. The texture is moisturizing enough that I don't need a separate moisturizer. It does leave me a small bit oilier throughout the day but I'm glad to pay that price for the benefit of wearing SS. Prior to this I have not found anything photostable, cone free, and affordable.

The SunWear formulations in SPF30 and SPF50 have nearly identical ingredients. So, even though the SPF50 does not say "for faces" on the package, I use it on my face. Plus, it contains more product and it is a higher SPF. It's a good deal. After using coupons and a BOGO offer I paid 5.50. Sweet.

EDIT: In warm months this leaves me pretty oily. And now that I've learned about oxybenzone I am wary of this product. So the search continues...

rated 1 of 5 on 4/26/2008 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Melodiee

Pros: I picked this sunblock off the shelf because of the pretty packaging. The bottle feels all smooth and slick, and the design on it is pretty and fresh with light blue, yellow green, orange, and metallic silver.

The smell is also really light and refreshing.

Cons: When I rub it on my skin, I get tons of little particles of skin/sunblock that come off my skin, which has never happened before with anything else I've tried. I have combination skin with an oily T-zone and normal cheeks, and the sunblock made my T-zone really greasy for the rest of the day. I kept rubbing at my nose because it felt so oily and greasy, and tons of grease would come off on my hand.
I don't even really want to use it anymore, but it's sunny out and I don't know when I can return it and try another one.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2008 11:35:00 PM More reviews by moonchild508

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Great sunblock! I used it daily last summer and never had a breakout. It's light, non-greasy and does not leave a white cast on your face like Neutrogena does. I personally like the fresh smell of the sunblock. It also works well under my makeup. It seems to help my makeup stay fresh longer, if that's possible. Anyway, I will definitely use it again this summer.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2007 8:28:00 AM More reviews by greelow

i Just bought this 2 days ago. I am surprised reading so many reviews saying that this product sting on face BUT so far (4 times usage) it never sting/burn my face. I dries off matte which the best thing i like about it. i applied it around the eyes, and have no burn/sting feeling what so ever. I really love it! i do not know whether it will clog my pores but i will give it more time before i could say anything about it