Clinique Long Last - Merlot

4.7

on 8/15/2011 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I've been searching for the perfect every day red lipstick for ages and not had much success. Most red lipsticks are RED (loud and aggressive) or a weird fuschia. I wanted a muted wine-tinged red that I could wear every day that didn't make me look over made up. I thought that Merlot would be that red and it is pretty much the colour I wanted, but it has zero staying power. I have to reapply this every hour and it doesn't even stand up to a drink of water, let alone any food.

So, for that reason I will use up the tube, but I wouldn't buy this again.

on 7/27/2010 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I am really pleased with this lipstick. It has a really nice neutrality to it, so you can rest assured you won't look ridiculous. I started using this while looking for the perfect dupe to my beloved Ruby Sheer lipstick by Bobbi Brown which was discontinued. This one is a beautiful alternative. It's a touch deeper than Ruby and not quite as sheer, but the results when I use this with a light hand are really similar. The consistency is beautiful. It goes on so smoothly and it moisturizes lips well. It lasts and shines as it claims. Overall a very good red, slightly vampy but classy.

on 3/4/2010 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

You know that quest when you go to different makeup counters asking the SA's to find a red lipstick that looks good on you? This quest can go on for years...and often does. In my case, it ended when I found Merlot. I did not believe the SA when she said this would look good on me (it looked SO BRIGHT in the tube), but, lo and behold, it does. The texture is creamy and non-drying. I don't use this every day--mostly on special occasions--but I do sometimes us it to "pop" a classic outfit like a gray or camel sweater. It makes me feel very 50s pinup. I am very fair with yellow undertones, for reference. I should probably go buy another one before they discontinue this!

on 1/13/2010 12:10:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

By far, my least favorite mood on the planet is the "I need something to pick up me / my complexion / this outfit / this day-week-month-life, however I am too lazy to assert the appropriate attitude." Merlot is my antidote to that. It is the red lipstick I turn to when I'm not in the mood to pull off a red lipstick. It's such a flattering neutral browned-red, with a soft, satiny finish, that even with my predominately cool-toned skin I can wear it anytime, with anything, no liner or brush necessary. It doesn't creep or settle into lines, nor does it wear off to the dreaded clown mouth. The staying power is fantastic, and it diminishes to a really pleasant stain. Non-drying, easy to reapply without re-prepping lips with balm or primer. It is truly an effortless red that manages to simultaneously exude "red" and "natural." And it's neutral enough that my teeth look great, even without the blue undertones. Makes my lips look soft, comfortable and dressed up, even when I don't feel any of those things. Fantastic mood elevator -- would definitely repurchase.

on 9/23/2009 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Baby Kiss is such a wonderful color. I think it's in the nude family? Not sure, but one thing for sure is that it is very natural-looking. Check out my review on my blog:

Love,
Geneys :o)

on 4/6/2009 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Ginger Flower is a beautiful mid/dark pink color. It would pass for fushia except it's not quite blue enough...not as cool toned. It's on the verge of being a bright color but it stops before crossing that line. Just a hint of shimmer with an average staying power. At 55yrs old this is probably the closest I can get to pink without looking silly.

on 9/27/2008 9:56:00 AM

Bought it, enjoyed it.
As the others have described the colour is very unique - warm red colour, but not too bright, muted red (if that makes sense) - so can be worn for day-time. And being warm red - definitely no blue titnt to it, but rather beige\browny. Another bonus is the covering - it is not absolutely sheer, but not too flat. Looks really natural on lips.

I have cool colouring, but despite that I don`t like the look of cool-toned lip products on my lips. They make me look frozen. At the same time warm colours, which are too frankly orange-coral-hot - do not work for me either. In search of some nice shade I`ve bought recently three :((( Clinique lipsticks. And this one I think is the best. The others are not bad but less flattering - Cranberry cream (beautiful red, which is blue-toned rather than warm. but still beautiful colour). And Apple Brandy - which is beautiful on my hand, but I am still on the fence about it when applied on my lips.

The price is not too bad, regarding the fact that new Loreal glosses are practically of the same price. Life gets more expensive-:))

on 1/25/2008 12:28:00 AM

The second I put on this lipstick, my lips felt like they were instantly moisturized. The color is a beautiful natural red, but not too bright, without this screaming fire engine color.

The texture is wonderful, glides on and stays for hours. The best way to describe it is a Satin finish. The color can definitely be brightened or darkened, depending on the lip liner. I use a spice color lipliner to make the lipstick finish turn into this brownish red. I use a butterpink lipliner to obtain a reddish pinkish finish.

I was definitely pleased and surprised by this lipstick.

on 4/7/2007 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Clinique recently reformulated their Long Last Soft Shine lipstick & the result is fabulous. It goes on like a sheer lipstick or gloss,but has the staying power of a lipstick. it's smooth,feels great & the color really lasts. Merlot is gorgeous. It's a warm red,but the sheer texture makes it so wearable & pretty for those who love reds but don't want the boldness of a matte lipstick.

Popular Lipsticks