October 22, 2014 | 900 users online

Polishes - Avon - Nailwear - Ruby Slipper

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2012 3:37:00 PM More reviews by LGel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love this! a colleague sells avon and i bought this on a whim... so glad i did! just put it on now as part of my Christmas mani! the glitter is subtle, which is great. the light catches it in the prettiest way.
i've paired it with avon's "real red" nail polish, which is essentially the same shade of red but without the shimmer (i did my ring finger with ruby slipper).

the only downside to this polish is that the brush is kinda thin, but whatever. the price is right and the quality is great. i only need one coat!

i normally use OPI or essie, and honestly, this product has the same quality for half the price. not sure about the longevity of wear yet, but whatever. i'll reapply if need be.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2009 5:14:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I think Im in love. I immediately fell for the photo of the autumn/winter shade RUBY SLIPPER, so waited with bated breath for it to arrive, knowing most of the products I receive never match the pictures in the brochures. I got lucky; this is just like the photo, a jewel toned cherry red colour with fine gold glitter and a shiny crme finish.

The formula is smooth to apply and is quick to dry. As the colour is highly pigmented you really only need one coat (though I prefer 2 coats to get the full impact of the glitter) and it dries quickly (within three minutes). The new formula contains diamond dust and acrylic, to make the polish more hardwearing and to protect your nails.
The updated brush rod has channels along the whole length: so the brush wont be overloaded with polish = no messy glops or drips. The brush is now wider, so it takes only two strokes to evenly paint the nail.

Using my usual base & top coats this polish will last me around 2/3 days with only minimal wear; but Im tough on my nails (self powered wheelchair user), so it will probably last longer on other people.

Avons new-look Nailwear has exceeded my expectations; Im loving it. Ive always found Avon to be hit and miss quality wise, but this range is in the keeper category. The new formula is the same fantastic quality as is double-the-price contenders.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2008 5:22:00 AM More reviews by x_sadiemae

I love it! At first I had my suspicions, since it cost practically nothing (I got it from eBay) but after the first coat all of my doubts were proved wrong.

The colour is rich, it doesn't really need two coats but I did apply two just because it said so on the box :D The cherry red and sparkle is just adorable. Just like Dorothy's ruby slippers!

I used a topcoat, but I think it wouldn't chip even without one. It has stayed on perfectly for two days now. :D

Would repurchase, definitely.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2007 7:20:00 PM More reviews by TropicalBreeze

I absolutely love this colour, it is a pretty cherry red. I just put some on my nails now and love it. The glitter is really subtle and it's perfect to wear at this time of year for holiday parties and events. I love it on my toes too. It goes on smoothy, dries quickly and lasts a while. This is one colour I will always have in my nail polish collection.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by sheisaclassic

I had been looking for a red to wear on my hands and I saw this in a catalog and I had to get it. Only took two coats and it dries really fast.
I noticed some chipping after only the first day. I used a base coat but no top coat so that may be why.
This color is very wearable with my skin tone and I absolutely love it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2007 1:52:00 AM More reviews by makeupcrazy31

This is one of my favorites & I have re-purchased. Love to wear this on my toes, so much sparkle! Fun to wear in fall & winter especially. Just like Dorothy's ruby red shoes, very cute!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2007 7:01:00 PM More reviews by khorne

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a great color. Due to my pale skin some reds look scarey on me, but ruby slippers compliments my pale skin quite well. It is not a color I would wear on my hands, however, it looks great on my toes. It is also long lasting and does not chip easily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2007 11:06:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

Love at first sight! Red glitter nail polishes under the varying "Ruby Slipper(s)/Pumps" monikers are many, but few actually live up to their namesake. China Glaze Ruby Pumps is still the reigning champion for making nails look exactly like Dorothy's famed footwear, but I love Avon's version for completely different reasons.

For starters, Avon's Ruby Slipper is extraordinarily wearable on tips (I feel that ChG's is just too much for tips, and I only wear it on toes), because its glitter is small and less in-your-face. The red is bright and pretty, neither too cool nor too warm, and the microglitter comes in both red and silver.

The formula is really excellent. It applies smoothly, evenly, and is just about opaque with only one coat. The glitter also spreads evenly, not haphazardly (I'm looking at you, Essie Ruby Slippers!). I love this and can't believe it took me so long to try it, considering that I have been very impressed with Avon's other glitter polishes, like Rave.

As for the wear, I always have good luck with Avon polish. However, here's my experience with Ruby Slipper so far: I have two coats of it on, with no base coat or top coat! It's been on for a day with no tip wear or chipping whatsoever. Plus, it dried really quickly! Yay!

Pics:Nails

By the way, here is a round-up of the Ruby Slipper nail polishes I've tried:China Glaze - Ruby PumpsThe ultimate in red glitter. Gorgeous ruby red with red glitter aplenty. Perfect ChG application, as always.Color Club - Ruby SlipperThis is more red glitter with red nail polish added to it, rather than the other way around. A metric assload of glitter.Avon - Nailwear - Ruby SlipperBeautiful neutral red with loads of fine red and silver microglitter, making it a tip colour for the less daring.Maybelline - Wet Shine Diamonds - Cherry CaratsA pinker red with pretty red glitter. Not quite as blingy as ChG's, but perfect if you were wanting a pinker red.Sally Hansen - Magical Nail Makeup - Ruby SlipperDo not be fooled. This is peeeeeeenk. But with holographic glitter, so it's all good.Essie - Ruby SlippersProbably the worst of the lot, even though SH's isn't even red. This is like a failed batch of ChG Ruby Pumps, before they discovered the fab formula #409 that became ChG Ruby Pumps. Essie's glitter is haphazard and doesn't spread out evenly. I love Essie, but this was a bummer. continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No