April 24, 2014 | 1939 users online

Makeup Brushes - Alima - Buff Brush 21

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 3:28:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush is to die for! It's a medium sized, dual-toned brush meant for buffing out color on the cheeks or foundation powder. I, however, often use it as my blush brush and buffer in one...I "pat" my blush across my cheekbones and then buff it out using the same brush. The bristles are incredibly soft, there is no shedding, and the size is perfect...not too big, not too small, with a great medium-length handle that offers perfect control.

I think I'm going to order a couple more of these to use specifically as blush brushes so I can use this one strictly as a buffer!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by ocmommy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is, by far, one of my very favorite brushes!

This replaced my MAC skunk brush as my Go-To for applying any and all blush. I love the shorter handle, the denser bristles, everything!

This brush is superb, priced *very* reasonably, and is a must-have in my makeup box. I will never be without it! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2008 9:26:00 PM More reviews by lfrueh

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this brush by accident - Alima sent it instead of a blush brush then told me to keep it when they sent the replacement. And which do I use the most? The buff brush! It's perfect for blending when the #25 occasionally leaves an uneven finish and even better for blending in blush & bronzer for a seamless finish. Also to tone down overdone blush. I haven't used my skunk brushes much at all since getting this, it's a real keeper and I'd buy it for sure if it wears out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by absolution12

bought this for $14 iirc before Alima changed brush supplier, so the review is for the old one and not the new one currently selling for $24 on Alima's site

love this versatile brush. use it for primer powder (which i apply on my t-zone only), or for bobbi brown shimmer brick palettes if i want to add a sheer wash of shimmer over my matt blushes. additionally, if i find that my mineral foundation looks cakey, i spritz my face with water and use this brush to buff my foundation in, wait for it to dry, and apply finishing powder with a kabuki- this results in flawless application of the satin matte foundation for me

would definitely purchase this again if anything happens to it. i've had it for about 8 months now and its still going strong!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2007 10:02:00 AM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Every bit as soft as its big sister the #25. I love this brush for applying Alima's shimmer blushes, which are very blendable, but for the mattes I prefer the #17.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2007 10:48:00 PM More reviews by zoeferret

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I found this to just as soft as their #25 brush. I think it's great for blush, finishing powder and primer powder. I have found no shedding and it really blends in my make up well. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2007 2:39:00 AM More reviews by ntra

I usually prefer angled blush brushes, but when I replaced most of my brushes with synthetic ones, I decided to give this brush a try. I'm not in to the naturally flushed look- I wear blush like a drag queen. It's very dense, so it packs on the color, and I can see how it may not work for women who prefer fluffier brushes. I love it though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2007 3:51:00 PM More reviews by verybecca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this adorable little brush...I have the #25 and I love it so much that I had to have it...I didn't even know why. Then I got the Balancing Primer Powder and realized that this brush would be perfect for that - so I use this brush for applying the powder to my T-zone...Alima's brushes are amazing!!! Soft, dense and fun to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2007 2:52:00 PM More reviews by yliu

This blush brush is extremely dense, fluffy, and soft! I was really surprised given that the bristles are synthetic. These bristles are completely different from the drugstore variety. I really like it because it doesn't feel scratchy against my sensitive skin, unlike Sephora's travel size synthetic blush brush.

However, when you apply blush (I use Alima mineral blushes btw) make sure you start with just a little and then build. Because the bristles are so dense, you don't have to put so much that you can see it on the brush head like you normally would for brushes less dense than this one. I also use it to apply foundation since I haven't *yet* bought the Alima #25 foundation brush.

As an added bonus the brush handle is wood and has a nice "heft" to it. The handle tapers off away from the brush head.

Packaging was not the greatest, but utilitarian. Hence I only gave it a 3. The sleeve slightly crimped the bristles during shipping, but they quickly popped back into shape after washing. Haven't had any shedding hairs or issues like that so far.

Costs: $16 at Alima, www.alimacosmetics.com

Skin: Sensitive, Combination, Alima O-1 Laila

Eyes: Dark Brown

Hair: Coarse, Dark Brown, Asian continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2007 11:44:00 AM More reviews by tanassa02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really reluctant to write this review, but in the end, i felt i owed it to my fellow MUA'ers. So here it is, i don't like this brush at all. As a blush brush, it's just not fluffy enough. The colour deposit covers way too small an area. It also has bristles that are to prone to flicking powder all over the place. and i can be a bit heavy handed in applications. Sadly, this is not a universal brush like the #25 (which practically every woman will love). Take a chance on buying it if you must, but i for one wish i hadn't. It is, however, every bit as soft as the #25 brush, thankfully. Maybe i'll be able to use it as an eye shader of sorts. Will let you know if that works out.
UPDATE: So i've decided to make the most of this brush as a highlighter/bronzer brush, specifically for the tops of cheeks, maybe nose bridge and chin. A bit small for forehead application, but it can work there too. Still dont think i'd repurchase though.
UPDATE (8.9.07): So i'm glad i went and took another look at this brush. I'm currently using it for highlighter/bronzer application, and for that it's great. Nice and dense to apply a good amount to my dark skin, without overdoing it of course. Still a little bit more fluff than a regular bronzer brush. And good length on the bristles. So all in all, even though i'm not gonna tell my girlfriends to 'BUY THIS BRUSH', i'm regretting my decision to do so a lot less, and will continue to use it everyday.