November 24, 2014 | 1963 users online

Fragrance - Chanel - Egoiste pour Homme

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2014 6:31:00 AM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

First time I smelled this was after I had wandered over to the men's section of sephora having given up on getting a non sweet, non fruity perfume in the women's section. I promptly fell in love with this perfume & I can't wait till I can get myself a bottle finances allowing.
The first hit I get is peppery citrus. Then as it warms up on my skin I get something that smells akin to pencil shavings. That note doesn't die down, but instead is joined by roses. Then I start smelling something that is reminiscent of stewed fruit like marmalade.The sandalwood comes in & the entire perfume goes creamy, smoky & really really sexy. Lovely! Ps I think it smells fantastic on me so ladies go try it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by nero77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Jacques Polge's proudest achievement.

Chanel ╔go´ste is a fragrance that is really special, it really doesn't smell anything like 80-90% of male designer fragrances out there. I believe that if this were released today it would be considered niche, and cost perhaps up to twice as much as what it does. I would go as far as to say that this is a masterpiece of male perfumery, probably the most confidant, mature and elegant masculine release of the last generation, and one of the greatest perfumes for men of any time, whether considered niche or designer.

╔go´ste is the embodiment of a confidant, masculine, spicy oriental, and Chanel perfumer Jacques Polge (who has done every Chanel perfume since 1981) has called this his proudest work. I can see why. This fragrance doesn't remind you of anything else advertised for men out there. It's the complete opposite of the generic, sterile-clean aquatic releases which have almost saturated the designer market today. It is rich, deep, elegant, strong, confidant. It makes a statement of quiet confidence and assured masculinity. It's really for the man who is strong and assured yet who is loved by all. The strong man with a kind personality, I would call it.

The story goes that this was a fragrance meant for the Chanel CEO at the time, as a private scent for him. Later, they released it to the public. It didn't sell, because the majority of people like to buy fragrances which remind them of other fragrances (just look at the aquatic craze of the last 20 years). Chanel ╔go´ste smelt nothing like anything else at the time. Nevertheless it survived, and even today still has the same effect.

Jacques Polge based the composition on Chanel's "Bois des Iles", a heavy sandalwood-based fragrance released 5 years after the famous No. 5. ╔go´ste is also centred around creamy sandalwood, which is surrounded by spices: Cloves, Cinnamon, Coriander. It also has a beautiful rosewood note which is joined by real, natural smelling Rose, and sharp Carnation in the middle (this is what some have called the "dated" aspect of the fragrance); before finally drying down to a wonderfully warm and creamy Vanilla-Amber-Sandalwood base. I find it very similar to Coco, which he made for women 6 years previously, except a lot more woodier, spicier, and overall more masculine.

It's absolutely beautiful, but very hard to appreciate because it doesn't smell like many of today's popular releases, and for many people, this will either be love or hate. It's warm, bold, spicy... and it takes confidence to wear. If I had to compare it to anything, it would probably be Frederic Malle's "Musc Ravageur" which is a deep, spicy and sensual fragrance but marketed as niche.

Chanel ╔go´ste might not be for everyone, it takes an amount of confidence and maturity to pull it off (it would also work very well on a woman I think), but it really is a special journey... and a complex one at that. I have a real feeling that 70-80% of people will love this (women especially on a man). It's warm and inviting, but also confidant and relaxed at the same time. Like stroking the warm, beautiful fur of an exotic, tame pet tiger...

I hope that Jacques Polge's proudest creation stands as a testament to all that is possible with male marketed perfume, and show that not all male fragrances have to smell the same or conform to the same standard set by others. I hope that this classic will always be there as a reminder that men can wear something created for them which is just as complex and beautiful as anything made for women; and to also prove that men can give off an aura of being strong, confidant, warm and gentle simultaneously. Nothing more can be said of ╔go´ste. Well done!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 9:49:00 PM More reviews by ayala

I would hardly consider anyone wearing Égoïste selfish - anyone around you is going to enjoy it too!

Égoïste is the younger and louder brother of the demure, soft-spoken and old-fashioned Bois des Îles. It opens with a burst of dry yet sweet melange of woods, citrus and spice. It actually reminds me of another favourite 80's fragrance, which is also drenched in sandalwood: Samsara (which reportedly had a glutenous 40% Mysore sandalwood). There is no true separation between top and heart and base as they weave in and out in different phases of the perfume. At first, there is the clarity of bois de rose (rosewood), the led-pencil shaving association of Virginia cedarwood, and the sweet citrus burst of tangerine and a sprinkle of sweet cassia. There is also a hint of eugenol, not quite clove like, but softer - perhaps form carnations. Underlying notes of coumarin backed up with a generous dose of vanilla absolute. There is something about true vanilla absolute that is simultaneously woody and animalic, quite unlike the cupcake frosting character of vanillin. Égoïste's vanilla really brings this out with some help of both indole and leathery animalic notes. which add interest. It is quite well balanced between sweet, bitter, smooth, spicy and powdery - although admittedly leaning towards the sweet more so than I would have expected (or remember the original to be).

The sandalwood is not as creamy as its sister Bois des Îles (probably because what I have in my hands is a rather modern version, very unlikely containing any Mysore sandalwood) - but that also gives is an edge somehow - it's warmer and more spicy and dry than I remembered it from a few years back. It seems to be accompanied by Atlas cedar's suave fruitiness, and perhaps even a splash of violet-y ionones and plum and rose notes from damascones.

Beware: Egoiste Platinum has nothing to do with it besides the name, and is the only version you'll find in Canada and the USA, and to my nose it smells like generic sporty aquatic chemical trash. But it has a wonderful ad as well!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I finally decanted some Egoiste into a roller ball bottle (in order to control application). I get the candied fruit notes but also a rubbery, powdery accord that keeps me sniffing some more. It has tremendous radiance. If my huge bottle doesn't last me until I'm 90, I'll know I'm using too much!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2013 3:03:00 AM More reviews by SUPAtime

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

What an unusual masculine! Egoiste is a surprising blend of herbs, candied fruit, florals, tobacco, spices, woods, and vanilla. If this sounds like a kitchen sink kind of construction, I apologize-- it's much much better than that. There is a touch of bitter herbal notes in the top that provide a wonderful counterpoint to the sweeter, more lush notes of candied, cooked fruit and carnation-rosy florals of the middle and the deeper, warmer sandalwood and snap of ginger in the drydown. Less gingery and gourmand than Five O'clock au Gingembre, Egoiste still shares some of the fresh linen and hot water cleanness of the former that keeps it from being too heavy. Over all, Egoiste gives me an impression of softness, warmth, and sweetness touched with dry gingery spice and sandalwood. Very relaxing and not at all traditionally masculine-- super easy for a woman to wear.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 4:56:00 PM More reviews by parisbyrum19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This fragrance is a must for me, i cannot be without it! I've worn this since i was in high school and everyone used to comment on how lovely i smelt, it waft's around you all day and for this being released in the 80's is actually a huge shock because it isn't really overpowering or musky, quite sharp on my skin actually. this is my favorite fragrance to wear in the winter and thankfully a chanel counter in my area carry's this all year round as an exclusif, so i'm ecstatic about that as this used to be extremely difficult to find, added win!! as for the platinum egoiste, it shouldn't really share the same name as this, this is in a class of it's own and it's very different, i've never encountered a fragrance quite like it, where as platinum egoiste is bordering on very stereotypical.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2012 11:43:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I think another reviewer here hit the nail on the head saying this tries to go in too many directions at once. I couldn't agree more, I just could not figure out what it wanted to be. Its heavy, warm with a touch of spice but still with a clean "garden" edge. Its definetly not an bad fragrance in anyway, but it suffers from a crowded identity crisis. I would definetly suggest giving it a go but personally its not for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2012 12:28:00 AM More reviews by staci01

I used to wear Egoiste when in highschool , so I wouldn't smell like all the other girls and because I had good taste, and for some reason it's taken me 18 years to finally get a full sized bottle. Every time I've tried to get my hands on a bottle at Nordies they're always out. So like a sneak I always have to ask for a sample to make it through till the next holiday when Egoiste will be in store for that time ( they said that they only keep it in store for the Holidays or Father's Day). So this Valentines I asked for a bottle from Chanel's website, not taking any chances this time, and was thrilled to open my gift to see this! Egoiste can be deceptive if you just go by looks and name alone. The bottle is pretty plain looking, square plain bottle with a square plain cap with faux wood grain finish, and it doesn't leap off the shelf like Bleu or even it's cousin Platinum with it's fancy pants silver cap. Still though good things are often hidden in plain sight due to their lack of flashiness. The notes in Egoiste are : tangerine, rosewood,coriander, damask rose,sandalwood,vanilla and ambrette seed. I also think there's lavender in there, at least to my nose that's what I've always detected. This starts out very woody with the sandalwood , not fresh shaved like say Fendi Uomo, but still a shaved sandalwood. Then the fruits start to appear but they're not like a fruit bowl but much like, as I've read others say and agree, candied dried fruit. Then at the end of the day it's all about the cinnamon and vanilla. See? Fruit, cinnamon and vanilla! There's nothing to be scared of! lol! I also noticed that people were comparing this to Coco, Egoiste being the male version of Coco, and I love the idea as I'm a huge fan of Coco. It saddens me that this fragrance has become so hard to find outside of the internet. I hope and pray that it won't disappear from the US market or at all. There needs to be a Egoiste revival! And the name? Yes, it's a hard pill to swallow but I'm willing to do it anyway though if it were up to me I'd have named it something else. "What are you wearing?" "Oh, just Selfish by Chanel.". And also now that I know what the name means I finally get the ad with all the screaming women in the windows. Again if you like the original Coco or any heavier orientals a la the '80's then you must get your hands on a bottle of Egoiste. I can assure you it's not worn by many people all over the place and you can have your little scent secret all, or mostly, to yourself while out and about. Lovelovelovelovelove!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2011 7:40:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

My sister and i have always said that this fragrance is what a "successful man" would smell like. It's strong without being over powering, masculine and quite unusual in it's scent. This fragrance would definitely be one to purchase for one's boyfriend/husband! I'm absolutely addicted to this smell :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2011 5:54:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: rosewood, coriander; Bulgarian rose, carnation, cinnamon; sandalwood, vanilla and ambrette seeds.
á
This fragrance opens with a (rose)wood note accentuated by spices and a smoke. The accord is dark, rich and very masculine. Above the dark smoky base I detect a light floral mist of rose and carnation. As these notes have burned off I smell the drown comprised of sandalwood and aromatic vanilla. Lasts for six hours on my skin.