Laura Mercier Mineral Powder SPF 15

(Natural Beige, Soft Porcelain): Mica, Pearl Powder. ( /-): CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride), CI 77947 (Zinc Oxide), CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides). (Real Sand, Tender Rose, Rich Vanilla, Classic Beige, Pure Honey, Warm Bronze): Active Ingredient – Zinc Oxide. Ingredient: Pearl Powder. May Contain ( /-): Mica (CI 77019), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

I find this foundation to be very dependent on what you use underneath it. I have used Maybelline Baby Skin, L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, and regular moisturizer beneath it with poor results. It will look cakey, thick, will turn shiny quickly, oxidize, and slide off.

Do you know what works underneath this? Neutrogena sunscreen. Works perfectly. Anything with a powder finish will work under this. Silicone oil will not.

(With the right primer) This stuff is amazing. IT'S SO PALE! YES! IT'S PALE ENOUGH! I don't think anyone understands how unusual it is to find an ultra-pale foundation. It's magical. And a good pale foundation? Wonderful :)

This is a hydrating powder, so it will not make your skin dry. It is still a powder though, so it does control some oil. I don't think it could handle extremes. Not sure about this settling in to heavy lines, but it doesn't settle on me. This is definitely a foundation, as it has heavy coverage for a powder. It covers redness very well. It is not matte, so it does not look like a mask. The finish is lovely and glowing. A kind of satin finish. The glowing look to it isn't quite as naturally flawless as Luminous Silk, but still very healthy. When wearing this I've been told that I look very "fresh faced". I don't really see how you could mess the application of this. It's very easy and quick.

This is an absolute keeper for me because I've found this actually improves my skin. I've never had another foundation do that. On wearing this for multiple days in a row, my pores will disappear. My skin is very sensitive, and this actually calms it.

It's pale enough, it looks good, and it makes my skin look nicer. To me, that is well worth $40. The container that I'm using I've had for over a year, and I'm only 2/3 through it, so the price is quite cheap if you think of it that way. I see that the shade selection is smaller than it used to be, which worries me that this may be discontinued. I don't think I could find something else that works this well. Bareminerals is too dark for me...

on 2/17/2015 12:39:00 PM

This pleasantly surprised me. I used to use the mineral powder by urban decay but of course that was discontinued. I found this actually gives me pretty good coverage. I don't like it as much as I liked UD but it works. Wish it was a little more buildable though and other colors available.

on 1/17/2015 12:04:00 AM

AMAZING. I have truly acne pronce & combo skin (I have an extremely oily t-zone with dry patches around). With my acne i'm not a fan of everyday liquid foundation use for many reasons- especially the way it looks on my skin in different lighting, with liquid you can almost always tell someone is wearing it which i dislike. With this, it really looks like skin even with more than one layer & it has never broken me out. I find it has builable coverage best when a dense kabuki or flattop brush is being used, you can build up coverage but obviously you will still need concealer for imperfections. However try not to use ore than two thin layers, it will sink into fine lines. It keeps me matte all day (keep in mind I do use a mattifying day cream & primer) and does not stick to dry patches. You can still see your skin through the makeup & does a wonderful job evening and perfecting skin tone. It doesn't have a funky smell & although it doesn't have a strong white cast in pictures, it doesn't photograph that well (face looks pale and washed out) so i don't recommend this for special occasions or pictures. Packaging for almost any mineral powder isn't the best, it will always be messy just learn to work with it and be careful. I also don't think you need a setting powder for this, stays all day with or without one. No this powder isn't wallet friendly, but if you're looking to really invest in a great powder I truly reccomend this to anyone with any skin type.

on 12/22/2014 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love you, Laura Mercier Mineral Powder foundation. You looked great, you came highly regarded, and your close-able packaging is far better than many other loose powder foundations. But - and this is a big but - you gave me the worst breakout I've ever experienced.
Something in this product (the mica, perhaps?) gave me cystic acne unlike anything I've ever experienced. By the time I figured out that my new foundation was to blame, I'd accumulated a face full of big, hard, raised bumps, which was about as fun (read: shitty) as you can imagine. I've tried a wide range of mineral powder foundations and have never had a reaction like this before, so I'd encourage anyone else to proceed with caution when it comes to this Laura Mercier ish.
Obviously YMMV (and I do concede that the powder is nicely milled and looked nice on the skin at first), but due to the breakout from hell I experienced, this gets a big fat "nope" from me.

on 12/7/2014 3:37:00 PM

I have used several mineral powders and actually bought this on a bit of a whim. I'm really impressed with it. I have this in Natural Beige and I actually thought this may be too dark as it appears slightly darker when first applied. After about 30 minutes it settles in to my skin and matches perfectly. I was worried about this oxidising as it's happened with other mineral powders but it stays the exact same shade. I would describe the coverage as light - medium. Highly recommend!

on 11/30/2014 8:37:00 AM

It give a nice healthy glow and matches perfectly the skin tone (I had "Real Sand"), covers up imperfections.

But :
- after a while it can make you look shiny.
- it can turn out to be acne prone (at least it was my case, and that's why I had to stop using it).

I can't give this stuff five stars, because it's not perfect. It's really a great foundation though. Definitely a "trusty favourite" of mine. My only problems with it aren't faults of the product.

Problem 1 - I have the palest shade, but the colour is a touch too dark. Often times in the winter it's notably too dark and I can't use it. My skin's super pale though. It will oxidize and turn a darker, yellower shade in a few hours.

Problem 2 - Will go shiny on oily skin pretty quickly, and will look chalky on dry skin. Once again, I can't blame the product, as I have rather bipolar skin that can't decide if it's oily or dry. It will settle in nicely on skin that's a touch oily, but will need touch ups because it goes shiny.

The Good - Application is pretty difficult to mess up if you have a decent brush. You can use your fingers and use it under your eyes. It goes on quite evenly and smoothly. Easy to touch up. It stays on really well and doesn't smear or transfer. I don't find that it upsets my skin or causes break outs at all. I've never had it leak or spill. And most importantly, it looks nice - it's not a matte finish, but not too "luminous".

Overall, I love it dearly, and probably will always use it. Not every day, but when my skin's "normal" it works fantastically.

on 11/11/2014 10:43:00 PM

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Absolute favourite powder foundation. I wear this in the summer time when I have a tan and it makes my skin glow. Pretty good coverage although I would recommend a concealer underneath if you happen to have a pimple. Will definitely repurchase!

on 10/31/2014 2:39:00 AM

I have this foundation in Real Sand. My skin type is combination/sensitive, with some hyperpigmentation from previous acne and occasionally one or two spots. I don't have huge pores but they're not small either.

Method of application:
1. Apply concealer to problem areas, let dry.
2. Light dusting of pressed powder (Physician's Formula Mineral Pressed Powder) all over using Real Techniques Powder Brush
3. Lightly buff in Laura Mercier Mineral Powder using Real Techniques Buffing Brush, applying 2 layers to problem areas

Pros:
- Packaging is good and you get lots of product (I still have half and I have used almost daily for 4 months)
- Colour is almost perfect (slightly too dark in winter but will be great in summer)
- Finish is beautiful (not completely matte, satin finish that highlights contours naturally)
- Does not cause breakouts or irritate my sensitive skin
- Buildable to medium coverage without caking
- Blushes and bronzers go on smooth and pigmented on top

Cons:
- Lasting power is not great, starts to break down in nose area in 6-8hrs (using my method of application it lasts a bit longer)
- Takes a bit of time to apply nicely, considering you have to shake a little bit into the lid at a time (but this is probably a problem with all mineral powders)
- Not suitable for oily skin (this product does not control oil at all)

Conclusions:
I really like this foundation and the way it makes my skin look for the first 6 hours or so. I just wish it lasted a bit longer! But I guess I have liquid foundation for those days I need coverage and staying power. Even when this powder breaks down after 6-8 hours it is by no means terrible - my face still mostly looks nice aside from a bit of cakiness on the sides of my nose and under my bottom lip. I will continue to wear this as my daily foundation.

on 9/15/2014 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the best foundation I have ever used! Doesn't give your face that boring, matte dullness or oily, but it highlights and looks so natural and beautiful. Plus, this is the only foundation that I can wear every single day without breaking out. I've been using this for a month and a half or so, and it has helped make my skin look fantastic every single day. Thank you Lauren Mercier for creating such a wonderful product!