Kosmea Rosehip Oil

4.6

on 3/30/2015 1:35:00 AM

I tend to think 90% of beauty products rely on a combination of marketing and placebo effect to achieve their notoriety, but not so with Kosmea's rosehip oil. I had heard how amazing rosehip oil can be for the skin, and decided to give it a try some 4 years ago. Even then, with a cheaper quality product, I saw great results that really shocked me.
After detoxing from beauty products while pregnant, I came back to rosehip oil and decided to upgrade to Kosmea's... and WOW. I've had acne scarring and discoloration for years that has kept me behind a mask of foundation-- and now, after about 6 months of daily use, I find that I have to remind myself that I've already washed make up off my face-- my complexion has improved THAT drastically. I think the key is in the fact that Kosmea uses the whole berry, not just the seed, which infuses the whole mix with a ton of added vitamin C. Anyway, I can safely say that this is my HG and then some-- I've even got my husband on it and he swears by it too.

TIP: Here's the BEST way to apply this stuff, IMHO. Take a simple moisturizer and rub it thoroughly in between your palms. Then, apply a few drops of the oil as well and slick it out across your hands, careful not to blend it too much with the moisturizer. With your hands covered in the oil, pat onto face, neck and decolletage.
By using the moisturizer on your hands first, you're filling in the skin and keeping it from absorbing the oil intended for your face. Also, it makes applying the oil a breeze-- it only takes seconds, and you're not wasting product on cotton balls or your hands.

on 3/17/2015 4:21:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I don't use this brand so this is more of a generic review for the product. I do use an organic brand which has a deep colour and a distinctive nutty smell (which is to be expected and is not unpleasant).

This is an excellent all-round healing and moisturizing oil. It is very soothing to minor skin irritations and in my experience clears up minor irritations in short order, although I wouldn't use it on very broken, i.e. bleeding skin. It also contains a form of pro-vitamin A so theoretically should help with the appearance of photo-aging (sun damage) and general ageing. It's a dry oil so it sinks into the skin without leaving a greasy residue, especially if you use a minimal amount. It is also very good for the decolletage area. Highly recommend.

on 3/16/2015 11:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I am so obsessed with this!! I bought it originally because I heard that it was very effective in clearing up old scars. I had two or three bad pimples a few months ago that left bad red marks. Within a few days those scars were gone!! On top of that, any existing acne has cleared up quickly and my skin tone has almost completely evened out. Have I mentioned I've only been using this for about a week? This may be a new HG product for me!

on 2/2/2015 10:35:00 AM

All around winner! I've used Life-Flo and Now Foods brands before (the cheapest ones on iherb), but this is in a category of it's own! The smell is much richer/fruitier and less like that stale flax-y scent (if you know what I mean?). It is also several shades darker, which I take to mean that it is just a higher grade of oil all around. Sinks in so fast, never breaks me out, speeds the fading of my PIH and gives a really nice glow. Fair warning though: I'm convinced my rosehip oil habit is the culprit of my orangey face/white neck driver's license photo (I didn't wear face makeup of any kind). I never notice a big color difference on average days, but next time I'll hold off for a few days before having an important flash photo like that taken ;P

on 1/13/2015 3:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I always knew rose hip oil was good for your skin in terms of brightening but I never knew it made any difference what kind you used. I've used mario badescu's rose hip oil which was lighter and more watery, but after some research you should try to purchase organic rose hip oil which will be deeper in color- a rich carrot oil color. I used it by adding 1-2 drops in my embryolisse moisturizer during the day and my skin literally glows (fyi I have oily/combo skin with history of breakouts and hyper pigmentation). This has not broken me out whatsoever but I don't go overboard because that can congest pores. I know this is expensive in comparison to other rose hip oils but honestly the 20ml lasts forever if you only use a couple drops a day (which is really all you need to see results)

on 11/20/2014 12:49:00 PM

I must say that I don't use the specific Kosmea brand, however I use New Roots (if anyone is interested). The bottle claims that the oil is organic.

I have been using rose hip seed oil for 2 years now, mostly during the winter months and I've noticed improvement in elasticity and evenness of my skin tone/texture. I only purchased it to help my PIH and UV damage but I can't say if the rosehip seed oil is working on those.

All in all, it's a great product. Don't expect miracles, but do expect glowing skin and deep hydration.

on 10/20/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I started with this but now use Neals Yard Organic Rosehip Oil as it's a lot easier to get hold of. I still use the Kosmea bottle as the dropper is really handy. I originally used this neat straight after cleansing but now I use a 50:50 mix with Argan oil. Even on it's own, it's really moisturising and soothing. It's part of my skincare staple products and I can't see that I'll ever stop using it. You can use it under or over a normal moisturiser - I do as my skin is really quite dry.

on 9/20/2014 7:13:00 AM

TL;DR: Absorbs well, doesn't break me out, good moisturizing properties.
I'm still not 100% decided on this product so will update after more use. I've been using for about a month and here is my usage and opinion: I use on damp skin, 3-4 drops for face and neck. It absorbs nicely and wears very very well under foundation. I have combo skin and this is nicer under foundations than most moistuizers I use. I am not in a great routine but try to use AM and PM. Love it around the eyes and temples. I had a cold and it healed my raw nose skin quickly. I'm not quite sure if it is causing some minor pimples on my jawline and chin however. I am extremely breakout prone and this does not cause cysts or an immediate reaction. So, it could be random pimples. I may have to use this only at night, or just use very very lightly on jawline. Overall my skin is doing well and appears healthier and smoother than a month ago.
I purchased from well.ca in Canada and feel for the amount I use, its a good value, especially if you compare this product to a high priced serum. As for smell, it is very similar to flax oil. Kinda gross but you can't change nature! And it goes away quickly.

Edit: Upped my review to 5 stars. This def doesn't break me out and once I started using twice daily I started seeing nice changes in my skin. Highly recommended!

on 7/25/2014 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

it actually made me break out even more. not happy camper. :(

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I purchased this after experiencing a lot of irritation/redness/flaking from a retinol product which I no longer use, and it did a good job of repairing and healing the irritation. This is basically a very gentle and effective healing potion/moisture boost for dry irritated skin.

I mix 3 drops of the oil with Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisteriser for Dry to Very Dry skin (another great product for very sensitive skin), it gives the white clinique cream a gentle yellow hue which looks nice on my skin and saturates my skin with a soothing layer of moisture which feels amazing. I would definitely recommend mixing this with a moisteriser as its quite pigmented, and I think it would eventually stain your skin over time if you don't mix it with a moisteriser to dilute the rich amber pigments.

Popular Treatments (Face)