Kuumba Made Egyptian Musk

4.1

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Lately, I've been on a quest to find the perfect Egyptian Musk. I had such high hopes for this one, based on a lot of the reviews, but it sadly fell far short of my expectations. In the bottle, this has a minimal but pleasant scent, as a lot of Egyptian Musks tend to possess. Upon application to my wrist, however, a most unpleasant "plastic note" bloomed, and became more intense as it warmed to my body heat. Yuck! Since I was at home and hadn't planned on going out, I begrudgingly left the fragrance on my wrist. After many hours of wear, the plastic scent remained, overpowering any positive qualities this may have held for me. I finally washed it off, only to try it again several weeks later. Unfortunately, the subsequent time of wearing this revealed the same unpleasant plastic smell. I thought I would hold onto it in my stash, in the event that it becomes somehow different with age. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying my little bottle of Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess, as probably my current favorite of the EM's. The Auric Blends version fades quickly on my skin, which is a drawback. I know it lasts, because I can still smell it on my clothing and scarves later on! I still have this urge to keep looking. I'm awaiting a shipment of EM from a couple different brands, so I will post reviews for those once I reach my verdict. Back to my quest for the perfect Egyptian Musk!

Despite reading chandler burrs A Perfect Scent (SJP and the creation of Lovely); and using new dead stock NR musc oil for her, I never jumped on the Egyptian oil bandwagon. For those who want to know more about Egyptian oil, I suggest reading the series on Perfumeshrine.com. But I was at whole foods and thought I should pick some up. To those who cannot find Egyptian oil rollerballs, I find the dry down of Demeter laundromat in oil rollerball form (not the spray) very similar on my wrist. In fact, I suggest before shelling out the money for NR musc oil for her, please consider trying one of these as well.

To me, it smells of a mixed floral bouquet scent minus the sharp screech of aldehydes but with the finish of creamy powder tinged with white musk. Because it's an oil, it is easily diffused over larger areas (I dab and don't spray perfume) and the dry down seems more readily apparent. A soft rubbing of a perfumed dryer sheet. My impression of NR musc oil for her seems more rosy in comparison and less like a mixed bouquet of flowers. If I had to pick a fragrance for someone who liked Egyptian oil, I would pick something like Chanel 22 (fizzier lighter and less animalic than vintage EdC 5), EL beautiful or Amouage gold, advise them to dab very sparingly and wait for dry down.

I remember loathing the original white linen by EL, but I also wonder if one of the softer white linen flankers would smell a it like this in the dry down.

For those who think they don't like scent, but who do like this, I would suggest that you might like some of your scents more if you try to dab a scent rather than spray, and do so half an hour or an hour before going out. I don't refresh any scent in public - I hate sillage and always prefer a scent in the dry down.

However this is easy to apply, relatively cheap and readily available. I don't get much animalic out of this. Nothing like MKK or Khiel's. I think it's a bit less floral than the other Egyptian musks that I have sampled.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Per 4/27/15 US Weekly magazine "What's in my bag?" article (pg. 10) -- it showed the purse contents of author Carole Radziwill, 51, from Real Housewives of New York.

She says she always carries her roll-on bottle of Egyptian Musk perfume in her bag -- she says she bought it from a subway vendor -- and that people always stop her and say, "You smell good" -- and that Egyptian Musk is "an aphrodesiac".

However, Kuumba Made's Egyptian Musk was the one used in the photograph for the US Weekly article. I happen to have the Kuumba Made (plus other brands) and am wearing it now.

Carole Radziwill's late husband Anthony (a prince) was JFK Jr's cousin -- and JFK Jr's wife Carolyn Bessette Kennedy was Carole's best friend, so it totally makes sense to me that Carole would wear & love Egyptian Musk also -- since it had been Carolyn's favorite scent -- and designer Narciso Rodriguez's also, who made CBK his muse.

Legend has it that JFK Jr's wife Carolyn Bessette Kennedy made the Al-Rehab Egyptian Musk brand her signature? (I've never tried that brand) and that Sarah Jessica Parker used to wear a 3-layer combo that included a street vendor's Egyptian Musk plus CdG Avignon and Bonne Bell Skin. Narciso Rodriguez had connections to both ladies.

A soft, natural, and very sensual scent, I love Egyptian Musk, and I also love the "Narciso Rodriguez For Her" line, which is based on Egyptian musk -- and also SJP's first fragrance "Lovely", which smells similar to NR for Her.

If I hadn't experienced Auric Blends' take on Egyptian musk before Kuumba Made's I would probably love this. I got worried at first because I DID get a fecal note as others have mentioned but luckily it went away quickly and left a nice if plain musk scent. A little more quiet and powdery than Egyptian Goddess, this is the skin scent of all skin scents, virtually indetectable as a "perfume." Good for cuddling and days where you don't want to smell like a bouquet of flowers or a dessert, but rather a slightly more fragrant version of you. I prefer Egyptian Goddess as it just has a little extra "oomph" but ultimately they are both good and I think it comes down to personal preference. Docking lippies for oil texture and price; I was left with sticky shiny patches on my skin even after attempting to rub it in, and I'm not crazy about forking over several dollars more than similar brands for significantly less product.

I too sampled this at Whole Foods and thought it was wonderful - the very scent that I've been searching for. I bought it (at $9.99 for a miniscule bottle), took it home, applied it to my wrists and...nothing. No scent apart from a vague, weak woodsy smell (like an old wooden attic). I didn't even get a scent from sniffing the bottle directly. However, I tried rubbing a few drops into freshly washed hair and, after several minutes...there it was... the delicious scent I was looking for. Clean, feminine, a little floral, delicious.

I don't know if something's off about the product or if my body chemistry just doesn't jive with it.

I tried this at Whole Foods and loved the way the tester smelled on me. (I love the scent of Egyptian Musk.) Several days later I returned and bought a vial, but after wearing if for the last few days, I'm really disappointed. The rollerball itself smells like Egyptian Musk, but after I apply it on my skin, all I smell is sandalwood. The scent also fades very quickly. I'm not sure why there's such a discrepancy between the way the tester smelled on me versus the take-home product, but I'm going to keep looking till I find an Egyptian Musk that smells like, well, Egyptian Musk on my skin.

I tested this at Whole Foods and was mind-blowingly unoverwhelmed by it. It definitely not obtrusive and it's a soothing/comfort scent. Right out of the vial, it has very low silage (and that's coming from a person who's nervous to wear a soft floral in public!) and which barely develops after application. I don't find it terribly unique, but I guess it's a good basic musk.

oh well i had high hopes for this one. it started off with a watery scent and a little tar. it took about three hours to dry down then i got the very and i mean very slight scent of the clean laundry smell im looking for.
i couldn't smell it!neither could my sister and she has a great nose. i tried it on three other people and they couldn;t smell it either. very mysterious. the great egyptian musk hunt continues....

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Wow, I was so surprised to read the review by the user that said she got a "manure" scent...that is exactly how it smells to me, too...and I LOVE Egyptian Musk! I have tried Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess (which smells like eraser and just "off"), Body Time's version (nice!) and the one from Fragrant Body Oilz on ebay (the best I have found...PLUS it comes in a spray!). I love the idea of a perfume being all-natural and had really high hopes for this one, I was expecting it to be the best yet based on the reviews and that it is natural, but I get a definite smell of horse manure. It is the strangest thing. Maybe I got a bad batch? I certainly hope so, because I really like some of their other scents. I might re-try this one, but I won't be using the bottle I have...it's AWFUL! LOVE the company, though.
UPDATE 9.29.12 - Ahhh...righteous vindication! I am an Egyptian Musk Devotee. I LOVE it. I think I have tried almost all that are out there, including Auric Blends, Body Time, Fragrant Body Oilz, Attar Bazaar, Narciso Rodriguez, etc., and then a few days ago (since I ADORE Kuumba Made products and just the whole company), when I was in Whole Foods, I picked up the sample for this (again) and rolled it on. I continued my shopping and sniffed at random intervals, and a blissful hope rose in my heart...could it be? Is this finally "IT?" could it be "THE ONE"? It smelled so delicious and delectable that I ignored the "but it smells like manure on you!" voice in my head from the past, and boldly purchased a brand new vial ($9.99). I've been wearing it for a few days now, both on its own and mixed with various other Kuumba Made fragrance oils and IT IS DIVINE! GONE from this batch is that horse manure note. I guess I just had gotten a bad batch or bottle last time, but this one has MORE than made up for it! How do I describe it? Um...it's clean, soft, a little soapy, fresh, languid, SEXY, dreamy, ultra-feminine and unlike anything I have ever smelled before. This stuff is a certified man magnet. It also has the same effect mixed with Persian Garden and Amber Paste...and elicits blissfully scent-intoxified men more so than any other fragrance I've ever worn with the sole exception of A Zaftig Woman's Blackberry Musk from long ago. (Does ANYONE know of a great dupe for that precious oil elixir that is available now? - If so PLEASE message me and I'll be eternally grateful!) Anyway, this stuff ROCKS. I do have to caution that you sniff before you buy, because I know I am not the only one to have gotten a manure-y bottle before, but let me tell you, when it is done right, this perfume oil is everything a woman's fragrance should be. It invites a "high", "blissed-out" feeling in me every time I get a whiff of my own scent when I wear this, everyone around me loves it and comments on it, and I never get tired of it. You know your favorite lippie that is MLBB? This is My Skin Scent But Better. How else can I say it? Holy Grail of not only Egyptian Musks, but my HG signature fragrance. I flat out simply adore this.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This smells delicious! I ordered the 1/8 oz. size from Kuumba Made after hearing great reviews here on MUA. This is supposed to be a close match to Narciso Rodriguez's Musc oil. It is close, but I like the NR better. However, it's a good alternative.

Popular Fragrances