September 22, 2014 | 2209 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Matte Formula

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

MAC Mattes are a bit drying, but I love the pigmentation. I have rosy lips, and while I prefer the glossiness of Lustres, sometimes I need a little more coverage, especially for a nude lip. I currently own Honeylove and it does a great job toning down my pigmented lips. To solve the dryness problem, I usually top with a gloss, or apply balm beforehand.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2007 10:34:00 AM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased TAUPE. The colour is exactly as described on www.maccosmetics.com.au and on my NC25 skin it was a perfect match. The formulation is creamy and highly pigmented, so a light hand is needed. A technique that I use and works really well is to apply directly from the tube on to my lips, starting from the middle and upto halfway across on either side, on the top and bottom lips. When I press my lips together, the remaining product is spread across to the sides of the lips. To counteract the dryness, I apply a drop of extra virgin olive oil on my lips after immediately after washing my face, and don't wipe it off. This lippie has great staying power and the colour is fantastic, and would suit minimal eye make up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2007 12:52:00 PM More reviews by HauntedMoonlight

I love MAC's matte lipsticks. My favorites are Ruby Woo, Rocker, Velvet, and Lovedust. They don't feel dry on me at all. I love how the matte lipsticks last all day. I don't have to constantly reapply, like I do with lustres and amplified cremes. Unfortunately MAC has discontinued many gorgeous matte colors, like Lovedust, and almost every single new lipstick they make is either a frost or a lustre. I just wish there were more matte colors to choose from...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2007 9:28:00 AM More reviews by cyber_showgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Couldn't agree with CarlaN more. MAC makes the BEST Matte lipsticks on the planet, and I personally don't find them drying at all!

"Ruby Woo" and "Lady Danger" are easily my two favourite lipsticks on the planet. "Rocker" is also an interesting colour, though I find the irridescent glitter through it a bit weird, in a matte lipstick.

Chili and Russian Red are also beautiful, beautiful matte reds which are highly recommended, though I don't own either as for some reason neither of these shades look as "red" on me as my beloved "Ruby Woo".

And as for "Glam", well that's just SUCH a beautiful lipstick!!! Words fail me to describe the bright, bright, bright, beautiful cherry intensity and lasting power of that particular lipstick!!!

For bright-coloured lips, it's always MAC's "Amplified Creme" formulation that gets all the attention, but IMHO the matte gives a much better intensity, lastability and finish: I find some of the Amplified Creme's go on a bit patchy on my dry lips and need a bit of lip salve underneath - whereas me matte's are fine, curiously enough. I also find the A.C's don't last half as well and ALWAYS need liner (whereas if I line my lips with a bit of lipstick on a brush, that's fine if I'm using a MAC matte).

If you like brights, don't overlook this finish. It might take some getting used to as the high pigmentation and thicker finish of this lipstick is not really like anything else, but I think it's beautiful. Also, it's not a flat, dry-looking "matte" - Glam, Lady Danger and Ruby Woo (being the ones I personally know best) have a tiny touch of creamy sheen to their finish, which stops them being too flat to wear without gloss. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2007 6:24:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I realize that there are many people who have their reasons for disliking this product, but I absolutely love it!

Yes, the matte formula can be drying, but I find that swipe of Chapstick underneath alleviates that, at least for me.

The best part is that the color payoff is simply unparalleled. If you favor sheer, light, gloss-like lipsticks that don't stain, avoid MAC mattes at all cost. You will loathe them.

But if you, like I, have a weakness for full-on, no-doubt-about-it color, this lippie's for you!
Note: Many mattes("Ruby Woo" is an excellent example), tend to look dull and flat when worn alone, but come to life with a bit of clear gloss on top.

I have several mattes, and I look forward to getting more! continued >>