July 25, 2014 | 935 users online

Body Scrubs - Buff Puff

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by mdd123082

I bought this on a whim at Publix after becoming pregnant and getting a few hormonal bumps on my back. I thought I recalled in the back of my mind that these things worked wonders. For $4 bucks, why not? I used it once and it felt amazing with just plain Dial Gold Bar soap. What a lather and OMG I felt so much cleaner! Probably because all the nasty dead skin and oil was getting brushed away... Way better than a wash cloth or fingernails can do. Needless to say, my back looked & felt better in days. Use in conjunction with tea tree oil if pregged out and trying to clear your back or face without many harsh or unnatural chemicals that are bad for baby. Works beautifully for the glow!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2011 1:29:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

I absolutely loved using the buff puff when I was younger. They're now almost impossible to find in Australian stores these days. My skin really likes mechanical exfolation instead of using something like glycolic acid. The great thing about them is you can press lightly or heavily to get the level of exfoliation you require. In my opinion the best way to use it is with a light touch in a circular motion, going over your face more than once if you feel you need more exfoliation. This avoids over exfoliating the skin. I no longer use them for two reasons, firstly that they are hard to find in Australia these days, and secondly because I use a natural bristle brush to dry brush my face 2-3 times a week as my means of exfoliation.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by MissRubyJones

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

When I was a pre-teen and teenager, my mother insisted that I wash my face with a Buf-Puf and Phisoderm. To her mind, this combination had the power to prevent acne or anything else unattractive from happening with my skin. I despised the smell of Phisoderm, and always associated it with Buf-Pufs, so as soon as I left home, I abandoned my mother's skincare ritual.

Lately, even though I use Walgreen's AHA and exfoliate with a cloth, I'd been noticing patches of dead skin around my nose and forehead - ugh. While searching for something to get rid of that hot mess, I saw Rite-Aid's version of Buf-Puf, and picked it up out of curiosity. They had no genuine Buf-Pufs in stock, but, it was on sale, so I decided to try it.

All I can say is WOW. I had forgotten how great using a Buf-Puf makes your skin feel! I've been using it with my trusty Dove soap every other day, in the morning, and my skin already looks brighter, and the scaly patches are history.

Yes, a Buf-Puf does feel a little scratchy on your skin. The key is to use a very light hand when you use it. It took me awhile to remember how to use it: you lather it up extremely well, then very very VERY gentle work it in circles on your skin. I have extremely sensitive skin, and have had no irritation whatsoever.

I would caution people who are using AHAs or retinoids to take it easy, at first. I use my AHA at night, then use the Buf-Puf in the morning. If you're just starting out, either with an AHA or retinoid and a Buf-Puf, I probably wouldn't use them on the same day. In fact, I'd probably give my skin a day to rest between using a chemical exfoliant and a mechanical exfoliant like a Buf-Puf

If you're considering a Clarisonic or any other expensive face scrubber, try a Buf-Puf first. You may decide you don't need something much more expensive at all!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2011 11:31:00 PM More reviews by beaniejadepop

very irritating for my sensitive skin...maybe more suitable for stronger skin

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2010 8:58:00 PM More reviews by Nikki16519

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

The Extra gentle version of this is an essential for me. I have been back to using full strength retin a for 2 months, after using Affirm 3X retinol cream for a few years. The retin a makes my skin peel up like crazy. Trying to think of a solution to remedy this problem while continuing to use the retin a, I recalled that when I used retin a twleve or so years ago when I was a teenager, I always used a Buff Puf when I washed my face. I found one at Ulta for about 5 dollars, and I've been in flake free bliss ever since. I use this with my Lush Coal Face soap. A few swipes of the bar one the wet sponge produces a very creamy lather, and I gently scrub my face. None of my favorite facial scrubs remove the flakes like the Buff Puf does. It rinses clean very easily, and I store it on a perforated soap dish with my Coal Face soap, away from the path of the water from the shower. It never smells funny to me. I replace it when it wears down, and lots of the fibers ball up on the surface of the sponge, which takes about a month.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:59:00 PM More reviews by IcyHot

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the individual Buff Buff pads and NOT the single, large sponge, which I've tried and dislike.

I was in love with my little Buff Puff pads for years and they were all I used. They do a good job exfoliating, but I recently discovered that I was using them much too vigorously, the result of which left the apples of my cheeks very red and irritated. I was always being asked what I was using for blush, although I didn't use any. I "thought" this meant my skin was being exfoliated properly, but unfortunately, what I was doing was scratching and tearing my tender skin every time I washed. Ouch! Stupidly, I did this for years until I realized what I was doing. If these little pads are used in the right way, though, they work really well at exfoliating. I used a gentle skin cleanser for mature skin or my old standby, Noxema, I ALWAYS had more than a few boxes on hand and convinced my daughter to start using them too. For a few years now, though, I can't seem to find them in ANY store ANYWHERE! I think they may have been discontinued because all I see now is the large single sponge. Amazon has them, but they end up being too expensive with shipping, so I was forced to find something else. I discovered a wonderful smelling, cream microdermabrasion exfoliator that is even more gentle and works as good if not better at getting rid of dead skin. It leaves my skin glowing! Per use, it will last longer and is cheaper to buy too. I've stocked up just in case!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using Buff Puffs since I was early teens and now I am 43 and I still look like I am in my late 20's early thirties, I get carded at bars etc............ What I am trying to say is exfoliation is the key to your skin looking younger, hence why doctors and salons perform microdermasions and peels. Your skin naturally renews itself and by kicking this mechanism up a notch, it forces your skin to heal and cultivate it's own collagen and elastin etc. This is the mechanism of why dermarollers, peels, lasers work, they all work this way. If you ever get a dermatologist who really know what they are doing to tell you , they will in fact tell you this is a key factor. I really think its funny that people complain thier face turned red etc. because you pay hundreds of dollars for a doctor to turn your face red ( downtime after treatments ring a bell? ) If you turned red after use- then you will heal in time and you can try again because the skin will acclimate itself. Companies will not continue to turn out products that truly work if consumers are not educated and willing to understand how they work and how the skin responds to such treatments.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 1:20:00 PM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best $5 I have ever spent. I love my Buff Puffs. I use the extra gentle on my face everday and a sponge on my body too. The face Buf Puff removes all of the dead skin cells and takes away the dry patches. They do not last too long and you should keep refreshing them due to bacteria. This is skincare staple and I will buy this again and again...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Before there were Buff Puffs, I was taught to cleanse my face with an old worn towel and to exfoliate manually but gently.

When Buff Puffs were introduced into the market, I was probably one of the first to try this sponge.

There are many versions of Buff Puffs... normal, soft, body, face, etc. etc.

I love them all and have used them for two decades.. lol.

I only remembered to write about this because there is never a lack of Buff Puffs at home, travel or anywhere I remove my makeup, and last week I ran into an old college friend, who asked me if I had had facial surgery -- I still think I can hold out on these procedures. Why? Because I have been manually exfoliating my skin every day (softly) of my adult life. Obviously I have also used all sorts of creams, potions and lotions to make sure my skin was moisturized and supple (after exfoliation and especially at night). I don't discard chemical exfoliation, but sometimes these can go awry and make us spot (my case), break out and peel.

There are many secrets to having great skin (genetics is one uncontrollable factor), but manual exfoliation is easy, benevolent to the skin, and makes our skin receptive to moisture.

I will die with a Buff Puff in my hand.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2009 9:32:00 PM More reviews by LadyAmaryllis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I love this thing! I have the body version of this sponge and I love it! I use it in the shower and it is just scrubby enough to get me really, really clean without making me feel like I'm rubbing my skin raw. The mesh poofs are not exfoliating enough for me and this is a great step up. It also helps my shower gel (Korres Fig shower gel, wonderful stuff) foam up really nicely.

The sponge itself is about the size of my oustretched hand (palm + extended but unsplayed fingers) and is about 3/4" thick. One side is white and for use on most body surfaces; the other side is light blue and more abrasive for use on problem spots like feet, elbows, knees, etc. This is great for scrubbing your legs after shaving to help prevent ingrown hairs too!

Another advantage over the mesh puffs is that the sponge is light enough to air-dry completely between uses so it does not develop a smell or any colonies of bacteria. The puffs are denser in the middle where the mesh is cinched together so their centers never dry completely, which makes me paranoid about bacteria growing there. No such fears with this sponge. I just wish this were a tad cheaper! I got it from drugstore.com for about $4, not outrageous but it still could be cheaper, especially considering that I buy my old standbys, the Japanese Salux scrubby washcloths, for about $2. I will still repurchase though! These rock!