November 27, 2014 | 1445 users online

Makeup Brushes - Brush Off Brush Cleaner

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2011 12:57:00 AM More reviews by cherrim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't believe there are so few reviews for this. It's the fastest drying cleaner that I've tried and it's very effective. I've been using it for three years now and have not had to replace any brushes. They all look great. On first use, I was worried it would be drying because it smells like mild alcohol. Not drying at all! It leaves my brushes (mostly MAC, synthetic and natural) clean and feeling perfectly conditioned. I need more than just a spray for my foundation brushes (Revlon Colorstay mostly) so I put a bit in a little bowl and swirl and wipe a couple of times. I see others say that it's oily, but I think you just need to make sure to wipe the brushes very well. After you swipe the brush on a paper towel to clean, use a clean part of the towel to reshape the brush instead of your fingers to help remove every last bit of cleaner. Compared to some other cleaners that completely strip the brush and leave them dry and frayed (namely, Japonesque, yuck!), I suppose some would see this as oily, but I disagree. I'm able to reform my brush so they dry perfectly. To me, that's one of the signs of a perfectly conditioned brush. They come out sparkly clean every time. I have sensitive skin and have tried brush cleaners that leave so much scent on the brush that my eyes water when I bring the brush close to my eye - not so with Brush Off! Yay! I've been ordering it from their website directly, but I see other reviews that say Ulta sells it, too.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2010 7:03:00 PM More reviews by JessicaAllison

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been a professional makeup artist for 15 years, and thank goodness I learned about this at my very first cosmetics job. This product is meant to spot-clean and disinfect brushes instantly, so that the brush can be immediately used again. Though it contains alcohol, it is not drying to the brushes (I have brushes that I've used this on for over a decade that show no fraying, breakage or ungluing).

The only reason I'd ever look for another product is simply because this is not an easy to find product, nor is it particularly cheap. It is, however, the best I've ever used, and it's the only product that I've ever found that truly dries fast enough that you can use your brush right away.

Some have mentioned that it leaves an oily residue. While the product itself feels a bit oily on skin or a tissue, I've never noticed that it leaves a residue on my brushes, and, I'll reiterate, I will spray this on, take care to wipe it all off, and use my brush again right away- no drying time in between. If the brush still feels oily, it's because not all of the Brush Off has been removed, so keep wiping!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2010 2:12:00 AM More reviews by meikii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My work place use this as brush cleanser. This works amazing as spot clean between makeovers. Removes all traces of makeup. But with liquid foundation imo it only remove 80% I feel like there's still something in there. Other than that and leaving your brushes a little oily after a while then it's amazing!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2009 11:32:00 AM More reviews by MissBrittanyM

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This brush cleaner is truly amazing, although at about $4 an ounce, it is quite pricey. The spray bottle is pretty standard, but the product itself is wonderful at cleaning brushes of any type. A few spritzes cause powders to bead up atop the bristles, easily wiped clean with a tissue. Brushes for non-powder makeup can be swirled a bit of the spray in a bowl. Brushes dry quickly after cleaning, and have no residue. I have used this product for 3 years now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2008 3:15:00 AM More reviews by kayemarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used this for awhile but after using MAC's brush cleaner I won't be purchasing this product again. While it did remove the surface makeup on my brushes, they felt kind of oily afterwards. It's quite expensive too. You get much more for the price with MAC's cleaner.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2008 6:59:00 PM More reviews by jfjinca

I went to Ulta and bought this with the $3.50 off coupon. $13.50 for a 4 fl. oz. bottle is a little much. I'm happy with the results though, with a few exceptions. I love that it comes in a spray bottle but it seems to spray more than you need for the little brushes. I also think it might just be rubbing alcohol. It smells exactly the same. I notice that the packaging doesn't give the ingredients.

Having said all that, I sprayed my makeup dish (the one I swirl my EDM in) and the gunk that came out on the tissue was unbelievable! I've only been using them (makeup and dish) for a week. I'm going to spray the dish every day after I put my makeup on.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2007 11:09:00 PM More reviews by MsLips

This stuff is awesome! We use this at Ulta and I love how it removes the makeup so much after I'm done with application on customers. I'm glad we carry them too, so I had to buy one...I think it's too small to be 9 bucks though...and the refill bottle is like 32 I believe when it's really not that big. But it's good for temporary cleanings in between when you don't have to wait for your brush to dry. Just spray on once or twice and swish back n forth on a tissue.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2006 3:22:00 AM More reviews by discodollies

i LOVE this. soooooo much easier than soaking or shampooing brushes and waiting for them to dry. just spray onto the brush and wipe it off on a cloth or tissue. deff buying again!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2006 4:55:00 PM More reviews by pnayheav3n

Brush Off actually works to disinfect the brush, but not to actually clean the brush. If you use the Brush Off and then use a brush cleaner like MAC's you actually see that it doesn't remove ALL of the color. So if you don't have time to clean your brushes properly then Brush Off is okay, because it dries instantly (kinda oily thogh). But if you want to REALLY remove all the color well, use a different brush cleaner like the one from MAC.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2006 3:31:00 PM More reviews by LadyBull

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is an AWESOME product! It does the job of cleaning the brushes while still mainting the intergrity of the brush. I use this to change colors on my MAC brushes to clean my Jane Iredale flat head brush & it does a beautiful job of cleaning! I used to use Johnson & Johnson, but Brush off is so much more convenient & easy for me. Just spray a couple of times on the brush & swirl off the makeup on a tissue. Can't say enough good things about this product!