September 22, 2014 | 1488 users online

Moisturizers - Glycerin

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2014 9:04:00 PM More reviews by ediepuig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My porcelain-white skinned daughter got a horrible sunburn yesterday. I needed to get moisture on her skin pronto, but her face & shoulders were burned so badly that I was afraid even a gently applied coating of one of my moisturizers would sting (then be nearly impossible to remove without further damaging her skin & adding to her pain). I squeezed some fresh aloe vera gel from the plant on the kitchen windowsill, but she wouldn't let me near her with that "stinky, gross, green" stuff.

Then I remembered my science-y son had a bottle of glycerin for chemistry experiments! I figured if it was an ingredient in most lotions, it might help rehydrate her burned areas without irritation. A quick read of the label confirmed that it was, indeed, a moisturizer.

I mixed up a solution of 50% glycerin & 50% water (because that's what the glycerin label said to do) in a small bowl. No stink. Not goo. Crystal clear. She was good with it. So I soaked a cotton ball in it, put a towel under my sweet girl & gently dabbed it on. Not only did it not sting, she said it felt "so good.".

Thanks to that ONE application of the glycerin mix & some Advil she slept through the night peacefully (shirtless & on a soft fleece blanket). Amazing.

Even more amazing though, is that the redness was 90% GONE this morning! (And she said her skin didn't hurt anymore)!

WOW!!!

(And it only cost about $4.00/bottle)!?!

HG status!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2014 12:50:00 PM More reviews by MerMer27

"Glycerin (aka, glycerine or glycerol) is a commonly used ingredient in many cosmetic and personal care skin care products. Yet it also an ingredient that stirs up quite a bit of debate. Glycerin is a humectant that can be naturally derived from plant oils, or it can also be synthetically produced. As a humectant, glycerin works to moisturize the skin by drawing water from the air into the skin's outer layer. It also forms a protective layer that helps prevent moisture loss. However, the moisturizing effects of glycerin are dependent upon the climate if the air has less than 65% humidity, glycerin will draw moisture from the lower layers of the skin and hold it on the surface, drying the skin from the inside out. Another drawback is that products formulated with high levels of humectants such as glycerin will leave a tacky feel on the skin."

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by hdow2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought africare 100% glycerine. I took a small spray bottle and filled 1/4 glycerine to 3/4 water. I spritz my face with it while I washing with a mild soap and it allows the soap to clean without drying out my skin. My skin doesn't agree with the moisturizers on the market, so this really has been a godsend for me. It's very sticky by itself, which is why you have to dilute it with water. It lasts forever and it's very inexpensive.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Glycerin makes my skin drier, the way hyaluaronic acid does. Glycerin is a syrupy liquid that is chemically produced by combining water and fat. It is used as a solvent! Unless the humidity of air is over 65%, glycerin draws moisture from the lower layers of the skin and holds it on the surface, drying the skin from the inside out.
The result? Chronically dehydrated skin.
I live in the northern region of Canada. Here, the humidity isn't sufficient enough and so glycerin *destroys* my skin.
And now you know.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Excellent moisturiser or humectant (attracts moisture to itself). Great added to water in a spray bottle for a face, hair and body mist in winter.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

makes my hands feel soft and this is the best product for freezy hair! highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by kvrcma

I've been looking for a moisturizer that won't clog my pores or break me out for years. I went to acne.org and looked at their list of comedogenic ratings: glycerin has a 0, i.e., it cannot clog your pores (people who are breaking out are either purging, or might be allergic to the product). After cleansing with a Neutrogena face wash I use a couple drops of this (undiliuted) and apply it to my face. Yes, it is sticky, and until it dries, your face will be a bit shiny. However, I find that with glycerin my face feels adaquetly moisturized and doesn't dry out or turn into an oilslick throughout the day. I've been using a 4oz bottle for the past 6months and my skin doesn't get as oily as it used to and my breakouts have lessened. Also, I think the stickiness helps with makeup application. It's a good value because you don't really need that much, and by only using glycerin as a moisturizer, you're limiting your exposure to other chemicals.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2014 4:09:00 AM More reviews by kaysae

I so wished I could've loved this! but sadly it does not love me. I purchased vegetable glycerin (brand africare) and diluted it with water(1:4) to use as a moisturizing spray for my body/neck. The initial application feels great as it softens your skin. Afterward however, it made my face breakout in small pimples (esp on my outer cheeks and forehead), and one particular day when I used it, my skin (on my arms and parts of my thighs) became really dry and flaky. I was however pretty dehydrated so that could've been the main reason (being that glycerin is a humectant). Either way, glycerin is a big no-no for me, take caution!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:32:00 PM More reviews by RXK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Vegetable glycerine is my absolute favorite facial moisturizer (i would use it on the rest of my body if i could find a cheaper producet than what i am currently buying here in Canada -i prefer natural oils for the body where i don't have to worry about skin sensitivies and the cost is less). My face has acne, is oily, sensitive, easily irritated, and red; it has recently been very irritated (dry, peeling, and even more red) due to the use of prescription retinoids and benzoyl peroxide for the acne. Glycerine combats all of this and leaves my skin feeling moisturized (while using), looking plump (for most of the wear), with a youthful shine (yes, looks like "oily skin" but i quite like this and i'm sure this can be reduced by using less), and less red. also, it doesn't seem to worsen my acne and actually soothes blemishes and skin. but, i do have to mention two things: 1.) after a few hours and as it has mixed with my natural oils (again, i have oily skin), the "oily" look is pronounced which can be an issue for some; 2.) and, after several hours of wear (usually at the end of the day), the "oiliness" (combinded with other things i'm sure as how my skin tends to be less plump than the morning) highlights uneven skin texture.

How i use it: mix 1 part glycerine to 3 parts distilled water in a small spray bottle and mist 2-3 times on face and rub in well when needed (i particularly like to use this after i've just washed off my acne meds and my skin is feeling most dry). will feel like rubbing only water onto the face at first. in a few minutes, the feeling of water on the skin will be gone and you will be left with a tackiness from the glycerine. to reduce tackiness (if desired), decrease amount of glycerine in mix -i'm going to try it as a 25% solution next.

Hair: i just want to note that i've read that some like to use this in their hair to make it moisturized, shinnier, and to define curls. i have relatively straight (a little wavy at ends), thick and voluminous, oily scalped hair and tried the above solution on my tresses: found that the tackiness just "gunked" up my hair so much so that i didn't like (couldn't) running my hands through; it also didn't add any noticeable shine and seemed to weigh down my hair. Maybe best for those with curly hair to define curls if you don't mind the "gunky" feeling.

Lastly, please buy glycerine derived from a vegetable source ("Vegetable Glycerine") rather than a inhumane animal (or petroleum) source.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this for my hair and yowza. See, with my natural hair routine, its just plain ol' wash, condition and a bit of oil for moisturizer and after a day or so its kinky and crispy. So I happened upon reviews for glycerin and took a look and I saw raves for facial care, feet and hair. I remembered I had a bottle of vegetable glycerin to make my homemade makeup fix spray and thought: what the hell, right? So: wash, condition, moisturize but I added maybe about a tablespoon of glycerin with my tea tree oil and applied it to my hair while still wet. 2 days later, still soft like newborn hair soft, and manageable. I heard glycerin is a humectant which means it holds moisture which explains the softness, even in this dry winter weather. This stuff is the business! So much so I'm going to try it as a moisturizer on my face and feet. Not to sound dramatic, but I think I'll freak when I run out. Definitely a must have staple in your beauty routine, ladies. Recommendation: NOW brand vegetable glycerine because it uses non-GMO sources if you're conscientious about what goes on your skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No