April 17, 2014 | 1804 users online

Moisturizers - Glycerin

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Excellent moisturiser or humectant (attracts moisture to itself). Great added to water in a spray bottle for a face, hair and body mist in winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

makes my hands feel soft and this is the best product for freezy hair! highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by kvrcma

I've been looking for a moisturizer that won't clog my pores or break me out for years. I went to acne.org and looked at their list of comedogenic ratings: glycerin has a 0, i.e., it cannot clog your pores (people who are breaking out are either purging, or might be allergic to the product). After cleansing with a Neutrogena face wash I use a couple drops of this (undiliuted) and apply it to my face. Yes, it is sticky, and until it dries, your face will be a bit shiny. However, I find that with glycerin my face feels adaquetly moisturized and doesn't dry out or turn into an oilslick throughout the day. I've been using a 4oz bottle for the past 6months and my skin doesn't get as oily as it used to and my breakouts have lessened. Also, I think the stickiness helps with makeup application. It's a good value because you don't really need that much, and by only using glycerin as a moisturizer, you're limiting your exposure to other chemicals.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2014 4:09:00 AM More reviews by kaysae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I so wished I could've loved this! but sadly it does not love me. I purchased vegetable glycerin (brand africare) and diluted it with water(1:4) to use as a moisturizing spray for my body/neck. The initial application feels great as it softens your skin. Afterward however, it made my face breakout in small pimples (esp on my outer cheeks and forehead), and one particular day when I used it, my skin (on my arms and parts of my thighs) became really dry and flaky. I was however pretty dehydrated so that could've been the main reason (being that glycerin is a humectant). Either way, glycerin is a big no-no for me, take caution!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 11:32:00 PM More reviews by RXK

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Vegetable glycerine is my absolute favorite facial moisturizer (i would use it on the rest of my body if i could find a cheaper producet than what i am currently buying here in Canada -i prefer natural oils for the body where i don't have to worry about skin sensitivies and the cost is less). My face has acne, is oily, sensitive, easily irritated, and red; it has recently been very irritated (dry, peeling, and even more red) due to the use of prescription retinoids and benzoyl peroxide for the acne. Glycerine combats all of this and leaves my skin feeling moisturized (while using), looking plump (for most of the wear), with a youthful shine (yes, looks like "oily skin" but i quite like this and i'm sure this can be reduced by using less), and less red. also, it doesn't seem to worsen my acne and actually soothes blemishes and skin. but, i do have to mention two things: 1.) after a few hours and as it has mixed with my natural oils (again, i have oily skin), the "oily" look is pronounced which can be an issue for some; 2.) and, after several hours of wear (usually at the end of the day), the "oiliness" (combinded with other things i'm sure as how my skin tends to be less plump than the morning) highlights uneven skin texture.

How i use it: mix 1 part glycerine to 3 parts distilled water in a small spray bottle and mist 2-3 times on face and rub in well when needed (i particularly like to use this after i've just washed off my acne meds and my skin is feeling most dry). will feel like rubbing only water onto the face at first. in a few minutes, the feeling of water on the skin will be gone and you will be left with a tackiness from the glycerine. to reduce tackiness (if desired), decrease amount of glycerine in mix -i'm going to try it as a 25% solution next.

Hair: i just want to note that i've read that some like to use this in their hair to make it moisturized, shinnier, and to define curls. i have relatively straight (a little wavy at ends), thick and voluminous, oily scalped hair and tried the above solution on my tresses: found that the tackiness just "gunked" up my hair so much so that i didn't like (couldn't) running my hands through; it also didn't add any noticeable shine and seemed to weigh down my hair. Maybe best for those with curly hair to define curls if you don't mind the "gunky" feeling.

Lastly, please buy glycerine derived from a vegetable source ("Vegetable Glycerine") rather than a inhumane animal (or petroleum) source.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by milevamaric

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Worst mistake! My face is literally the worst it has ever been, from only 2 days (2 mornings and 2 nights) of usage. I only ever have occasional hormonal chin cysts, but since using retin-a to freshen my skin, my skin has become super-sensitive. As a result, I've been reacting more easily to products and getting cosmetic acne that clears itself by discontinuing usage.

After two days, I noticed that my skin seemed "off," and discontinued usage. Woke up today with literally almost every pore clogged, from my chin, to my cheeks, to my forehead. I have NEVER had more than a total of seven TINY pimples at once and now my whole face is quite literally covered in bumps. It is dry, bumpy, and red. It looks like I have fairly severe acne.

For reference, I used pure vegetable glycerin from Whole Foods and diluted it 1 part glycerin to 10 parts (purified bottled spring water). I sprayed it on my face using a newly purchased spray bottle.

EDIT: After several days of benzoyl peroxide, my face is severely dry, and slightly red, but nearly clear. I'm 98 percent positive that it was the glycerin that caused this reaction. I still am unsure why, but based on previous experiences with "non-comedogenic" products, I'd say that the term is simply irrelevant. Some products with very harsh and alleged irritants do not break me out. Some "non-comedogenic" and "non-acnegenic" products do break me out. I don't believe the science, but perhaps someone can convince me.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this for my hair and yowza. See, with my natural hair routine, its just plain ol' wash, condition and a bit of oil for moisturizer and after a day or so its kinky and crispy. So I happened upon reviews for glycerin and took a look and I saw raves for facial care, feet and hair. I remembered I had a bottle of vegetable glycerin to make my homemade makeup fix spray and thought: what the hell, right? So: wash, condition, moisturize but I added maybe about a tablespoon of glycerin with my tea tree oil and applied it to my hair while still wet. 2 days later, still soft like newborn hair soft, and manageable. I heard glycerin is a humectant which means it holds moisture which explains the softness, even in this dry winter weather. This stuff is the business! So much so I'm going to try it as a moisturizer on my face and feet. Not to sound dramatic, but I think I'll freak when I run out. Definitely a must have staple in your beauty routine, ladies. Recommendation: NOW brand vegetable glycerine because it uses non-GMO sources if you're conscientious about what goes on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 6:44:00 AM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

If you have dry skin, this is a MUST HAVE PRODUCT. I don't want to come off as melodramatic, but this has seriously changed my life. I have horribly dry skin. Tight, flaky, painful, cracked... and that's in the summer! I dread wearing foundation because it always is too cakey and extenuates all of my dry patches. But, my skin is also somehow ridiculously acne-prone despite its dryness, because why have only one issue when you could have multiple? So, I always feel I need foundation or else my face just looks horrible, but finding a good foundation is difficult.

But one day, I was traipsing around the aisles of that store I hate to love (Walmart) and I saw a bottle of glycerin on the shelves. I knew this was an ingredient used in cosmetics as a humectant, so I figured I'd use it to try and relieve my dryness. Luckily, this stuff is cheap as dirt!

Glycerin is something that CANNOT be used on its own, as many reviewers here have stated. But I'll say it again just to get the information out there one more time. Glycerin works by drawing in moisture to the skin from surrounding areas. If you use it straight, it will just take that moisture from your skin. So you have to mix this with water if you're using it as a moisturizer.

I personally use it mixed with water, both as a moisturizer and as a Fix+ dupe (which you can read all about here on MUA)

I also mix a drop or two of this with my cleanser. My fellow dry-skin-havers know that awful feeling after you wash your face. It just gets tight and painful and flaky. Not pretty. Using a drop of glycerin in my cleanser really helps with alleviating that. I also will mix a drop of this with my moisturizer to give it an extra boost.

Here is my entire glycerin skincare routine:
1. Wash face with cleanser mixed with 1-2 drops of glycerin.
2. Apply a mixture of 1 part glycerin to 5-6 parts water all over.
3. Apply moisturizer with 1-2 drops of glycerin mixed in.
4. After applying makeup, spritz with the glycerin Fix+ dupe.

After doing all of this, it really makes my dry skin a lot more bearable. As long as you don't apply glycerin straight from the bottle, it is a really useful ingredient and made my skin so much better!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Edit- this makes an incredible body moisturizer. i mix it into any of my wimpy body lotions, you know the ones that are scented and nothing more? and my dryness is gone! also a bit of vaseline to seal it in on extra dry patches like knees! such an incredible difference! in terms of expensive body moisturizers, i have used tons, this is the secret to make an lotion incredible!
Also use a couple of drops mixed with splash of water on my hair if my curls are getting frizzy! Works perfectly

It is incredibly easy to adjust your skincare depending on the weather/issues you are facing. I wish I knew about this years ago!

You know what, a drop of this, lots of water, and petroleum jelly/Elta melting moisturizer, and a rosehip oil serum (any serum with R.O in it-my HG is saaf ultimate moisture serum)...this is all I need to create the perfect moisturizing mask!

A tiny drop of this mixed with a spritz of rosewater makes a lovely pre-moisturizer serum.
I have dry sensitive skin, clog-prone but glycerin hasn't given me any issues, although some people seem to be react to it.

My hands are always dry because i wash my hands excessively after -ahem- changing baby....glycerin+water is the best cure ever!
So simple and I won't waste tons of money using up all my expensive hand creams..I use those on occasion (purse item) and this several times a day!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Afrocutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Very basic product. But for my shoulder length afro (read dry dry dry) distilled water with glycerin is a gift from the gods.

When I remember, a mixture of aloe, chamomile, rose hydrosols, my hair just laps up juice. A mixture of argan and castor oils helps to seal this joy for the day.
I would not think to use it on my face as that would just fail. But I would not be without this product.
Only use vegetable glycerin....