Burt's Bees Carrot Nutritive Day Creme

2.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 2/14/2015 6:23:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I'm sold! 4.5 stars. After reading a ton of reviews about this day creme I recently took a chance and purchased some, and after two weeks of use I'm still loving it. Like other reviewers, I mostly use it as a night cream. This cream *might* have been too rich for me when my skin was younger, but it's awesome for my maturing skin! It's also great in the cold dryness of winter.

* Texture: The carrot day creme is rich, but not exactly oily...the feel is somewhere between a body butter and a mud when putting it on. Immediately after applying my skin is kind of "tacky" to the touch. Then it melts in wonderfully. My skin is so smooth and calm (and definitely not oily) the next day! I also apply it right over my mouth, and my lips are happier too.

* Scent: I was concerned that the "carrot cake" scent others wrote about would be too icky-sweet for me, and/or irritating to my skin, but it's not. It is slightly sweet but I find it pleasant and not overpowering.

* Color: The product is a pale yellow/gold color. The package says the cream can discolor clothing, but it seems to me you'd have to put on a ton of it for that to ever become an issue.

* Packaging: It comes in a glass jar with a screw top. Other reviewers find jars/tubs "unsanitary," but I only put my fingers in the jar after I've washed up for the night (usually with a gentle tea tree soap) so I don't see it as a problem. Actually I prefer glass to adding more plastic to the world...plus I usually find it frustrating to squeeze products out of plastic tubes -- a bunch of product is wasted because I can't get the last bit out of the tube. With a jar I can get all of the product out 'til the very end!

Having used Burt's products sporadically over the years, I've noticed that they tend to *feel* different more mainstream products. At first I didn't care for that, but now I like it that Burt's is not like everything else out there. I've checked some of their product ingredients on the Skin Deep database (maintained by the Environmental Working Group) and they pass muster.

Apparently the carrot line is not always easy to find at the Burt's Bees displays in more mainstream store (e.g. Target) but I was happy to find it at my local natural-foods market.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I was given this product after my mother decided it didn't work for her. I initially used it for both day and night, but found it to be a little to hydrating for daytime use, so it's a shame they call it a day creme. It worked OK, but even after letting it settle into my skin, it made my makeup into a sort of oil slick over the top of my skin, which ultimately resulted in less duribility for my foundation and drier skin in my problem areas.

So, after a week or so, I decided to try it only at night and I'm very happy with that. It may just be my skin, but it really takes about five to ten minutes to stop being "sticky" and then the entire night for my face to absorb and benefit from the creme. What I wake up to, however, is soft, hydrated and glowy skin. I haven't noticed any yellowing or jaundicing and I am fair skinned.

The smell is very subjective to taste. I was almost put off by it at first, and even still when I open the jar, it throws me off a little. But once it's on my skin, it smells like delicious carrot cake and it's really quite nice. But I love carrot cake, sooo....

TL;DR: Use at night. Smells like cake.

on 8/12/2013 9:03:00 AM

I like Burt's Bees products but unfortunately I'm not a fan of this one for two main reasons:

1. It's greasy and sits on the skin. It doesn't absorb in very quickly and is very thick, so this leaves your skin feeling a bit sticky and shiny. Some people will be happy with that, especially if they have dry skin, but I didn't like this.

2. It has a very strong smell. It's not an awful smell, it's just very strong and it lingers for a long time.

It does moisturise though so I think instead of using as a day cream I will use it as a night cream or maybe a hand cream.

on 6/28/2013 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I love this moisturiser but it takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you're used to regular face creams. The texture is quite thick and heavy, it feels quite sticky at first. However I found that It really suits my dry skin, especially through the winter. I spend time rubbing it in properly and then leave it to 'settle' for 5 minutes before applying makeup.The smell is a bit unusual (reminds me of cake mix) but I soon got used to it. I like the fact it is mainly natural ingredients and also very moisturising. I imagine it might be a bit heavy for oilier skin, and during warm weather I have switched to the Burt's Bees clary sage day cream which is a bit lighter.

on 4/10/2011 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I primarily use this as an eye cream because it is very moisturizing for a long time and does not irritate my eyes. I have used so many different brands of eye creams that would irritate my eyes. I asked my mom what she has been using and she suggested this . I wish it would come in a tube because it tends to dry out over time ): I dont recommend to use it all over your face because it is thick.

on 2/26/2011 9:11:00 PM

I've always liked this product as a heavy-duty moisturizer. It's not so much a "day creme" for me, as it's quite rich (and doesn't contain SPF) but I use it at night and in the winter months. A light application is all you need.

It does take time to absorb into the skin and the fragrance isn't anything to write about, but a light application at the right time of day (i.e. when not in a rush to apply makeup) leaves me with soft, dewy, very hydrated skin.

My HG moisturiser since my OH bought me some for Christmas on a whim 2 years ago because I like natural products. I can't imagine using anything else now.

It leaves my combination skin dewy, soft and glowing all day and doesn't break me out at all unlike moisturisers that contain mineral oil - even when I use it in the summer.

You do need to leave it to soak in for 10 mins before applying make up but it makes a lovely smooth base, especially if you prefer a dewy rather than a matt finish.

A jar lasts me about 3 months and it's rich enough to be used as a night cream as well.

Never sufferd with an "orange cast" and though I disliked the smell to start with, I have really grown to like it.

The only way they could improve it for me is if they added SPF - however I make up for it by using an SPF foundation.

23/07/2012 - Edited to say....4 years after receiving my first jar, this is STILL my favourite moisturiser and I use it every morning and night and have never used anything else. I am now 30 (argh) and hope this moisturiser keeps doing such a good job of keeping my skin soft, plump and hydrated. Love it!!

on 10/14/2010 2:44:00 PM

When I'm not using an spf lotion, I use this. It doesn't break me out and i really do like the smell as I do all Burt's Bee's products. It really moisturizes and does give you a glow. I've had several people comment on the glow of my skin, once person even thinking I was pregnant, and no, that's not the kind of comment a woman who's not pregnant wants, but it's good to my skin looks healthy. hahhhhh.

on 8/25/2010 1:43:00 PM

This product looks like it needs some reviews to redeem its name. I have been using it as a day and night cream with great results. It is very moisturizing. You just need a dab on your finger for your whole face.

People that are calling it greasy may be using too much, but I will say, like a lot of heavy moisturizers, it is something that you need to allow to absorb into your skin before you continue with doing your makeup.

Another common complaint I saw was the smell. It smells very sweet like cake batter. The scent does not linger after it absorbs into your skin. I happen not to think it smells delicious like something I want to eat but you might hate sweet smells.

And finally, it does not make you look yellow or jaundiced. Again, these people must be using a lot of the product to be noticing this. Apply sparingly until you feel you've lightly covered your face. Again, you do not need a lot of this product! This little jar will last you a long time.

Since I have been using it day and night for 2 weeks, I will say I have noticed that my complexion and tone have become very even.

PROS
quantity- a little goes a long way
quality ingredients
yummy smell
creamy texture
dewy complexion
doubles as night cream

CONS
if it is hot, the cream becomes viscose . you might spill it easily if you do not carefully open the jar.

on 4/17/2010 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Other, Cool

I used this product more frequently when I lived in New England, those harsh winters were killer on my skin. I used this on my face, neck, legs, arms, and it really helped keep my skin moisturized. I never turned yellow. I did find that the product was less appealing as it sat around, it would seperate and get a weird oily layer. I haven't bought it again since moving to a sunny place, I just don't need that level of moisturizer now, but if I lived in a harsh climate I would stock up on this again.

Popular Moisturizers