October 22, 2014 | 1042 users online

Powder - Pur Minerals - The Pur-Fect Starter Kit

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2014 10:00:00 AM More reviews by ebbykins

Oh my.... this is not the same Pur Minerals I once knew back in 2006 before I got pregnant!

Let me start by saying, my skin isn't terribly sensitive but finding the right products is hard for me due to dry patches and fine lines from aging (31) combined with a serious T-Zone in the summer time. I don't do a lot of sun and wear lots of SPF to prevent burning, I'm a burner/freckler.

So I got this on a bonus point redemption day at Shopper's Drug mart, happily headed home and started using it, I noticed it looked a bit cakier than I remembered, but figured it was just because of the SPF (Cetaphil, no issues with it) under it. I take pretty good care of my skin, especially in summer, washing off all the SPF and moisturizing every night.

As weeks passed on though (3 weeks total of wearing it) I started getting really bad zits and my wrinkles started to look even worse while wearing it. I looked older and greasy within hours of wearing it.

3 days ago I looked in the mirror and was just so upset. I felt like crying. Having just finished my period I knew it wasn't because of that. I hadn't broken out this badly since my teens. I had zits around my ears, chin, on my cheeks, under my lips, in my eyebrows, all over my forehead, my blackheads were a mess! I flipped out, checked some of the reviews here and noticed others had the same issues... I am not acne prone aside from a few PMS related easy to pop zits!! So I did a good cleansing, with baking soda, cold cream, then moisturized. I stopped wearing this product and within 3 days, no new zits, no oil slick on my forehead and my skin looks happy again. Stay away! For the price, with the ingredients they've replaced in this new formula... this just isn't worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by kirad

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i love the coverage of the 4 in 1 powder. the mascara is great too. other reviewers complained about the Pur brush, but i think it's just right (maybe they improved it).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by onjell

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i was using bare minerals. now its made in china.
pur is made in america. so i tried it.
love the primer, never used any before. this powder covers more than bare minerals, but maybe its the primer? stays on longer and is a compact that i can take with me if necessary.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by rosedora

I wont be buying this again.....it gave my face an unnatural hue and to get any coverage you have to apply and apply....It just seems like this should be used as a finishing powder and nothing more.....the bronzer has too much glitter in it and the blush/face brightener made me look pink....I'll stick with my bare minerals.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 2:44:00 PM More reviews by XxPRINCESSAxX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Other

I'm not reviewing the actual products, I will do that separately, but this review is for the kit itself.

I purchased a Pur Minerals kit off the shopping channel before and I thought this would be the same thing. This is not the same, the sizes are VERY small. I knew they were trial size but I was not expecting them to be this small. They are basically the same circumference as the brush. I ordered this online somewhere so I didn't realize the actual sizes until they arrived. Also, the compact seems quite deep to give the illusion that the product is much larger than it is, but I'm sure the pan with the product doesnt go that deep.

I'm about an NC42 and I ordered the Tan. It's a touch too light, but it's summer and I really wanted this for winter as I don't believe these products are suitable for summer heat. The included brush is good, it gives maximum coverage. The products are all high quality but I don't think you can layer too many of them (powder foundation + bronzer + blush) as they have a shimmery look and when I used all 3 it looked frosty/dirty. They seem a lot more frosted than they were when I purchased it 4 years ago.

A bit pricey for eyeshadow-sized products, will likely repurchase some of the products but not this specific kit. If you really want to try this and are unable to get a shopping channel deal, then I recommend this. Otherwise, you are likely to get a better deal on these products elsewhere.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by maxilluv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Purchased this in Tan and Medium Dark. The medium dark is actually lighter shade than the tan, Medium dark has yellow undertones. Returned the Tan don't think I could use it in even in the summer. I'm C40 in MAC.
Application is easy, for mornings in a rush this is golden!
This is not my special occasion foundation, but for everyday/running errands it works. And coverage is pretty decent.
I have oily skin, I did notice a bit more shine than normal, I have to blot sooner than usual.
The bronzer included in the kit is ok, a bit ashy on me, but I use an alternate bronzer.
Will repurchase the foundation, not the kit. The blush is nice.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2011 3:19:00 PM More reviews by tiinnhh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product about a year ago in the medium color since I was told the color will blend in with all shade ranges. Well let me tell you, it did NOT blend in with my shade. Nor did it even even out my skin tone. The bronzer was very pale and it MADE ME BREAK OUT with crazy zits all over my cheeks.

The only pro about this product is the foundation brush. I pretty much just chucked everything else from this kit out the window

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I typically hate MMU, mainly because at my age I think it makes me look older and accentuates my fine lines, despite the heavy use of moisturizer before hand. I've tried BE ( Made me itch like mad and look shiny..ugh), EM was ok, not great. Silk naturals was the far best, but I really just hate minerals because they are messy and more ends up in the sink then on my face. One of the reasons I like this Pur Minerals kit is that in comes pressed, making much less messy. I also found the formula to be less shiny than BE. It really evened out my skintone and covered up my blemishes. I am using a moisturizing concealer around my eyes instead of powder and it makes a difference, later in the day when you see creepiness set in. The key to making minerals look good is a good silicone primer and deep moisturizing before hand. I find that they can make you dry. I typically wear liquid foundation but My Doctor told me to switch to minerals while we get my sensitivity issues under control. I picked this kit up from ULTA in Light and it was easy to apply. What I do to get it to adhere and last longer is after I do one light layer, I spray DDF Aloe Toner on my face, pat with a Flocked sponge and then do another layer. With this technique I got the Minerals to last a 10 hour workday with only a touchup later on my nose where I have a broken blood vessel (Nothing normally covers it, but the minerals do an excellent job).

The best thing about PUR Minerals is that the Bismuth Oxychloride "(Which makes the minerals adhere better to the skin) is #5 on the ingredient list. It is a common irritant in Minerals and is one of the reasons BE made me itch so bad. It is #1 ingredient in BE foundations (It's not in the mineral veil), With PUR I had no itching so there must be much less in it. So for my sensitive skin this is a boon.

The only thing I do not like about mineral makeup in general is that if you have any dry patches on your skin, they will eventually show up fairly easily. But I will say my skin is healing really well by using minerals instead of liquid.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2010 2:41:00 AM More reviews by iamamanda

I bought pur minerals after using a liquid foundation for 10 years that was discontinued. I wanted to try a power foundation because I have oily skin, and I was hoping that the powder would help to keep my skin from looking shiny. I also suffer from mild acne, so I needed something that was light enough to even out my skin tone in some places, but heavy enough to cover blemishes, healing zits, and light scars.

I started off by having an Ulta employee apply the product to half of my face. She explained how to apply it step by step, and showed me exactly how easy it was. When I looked in the mirror I could not believe that it was a powder foundation!

I purchased the starter kit and began using it at home, in conjuction with Cargo Blu Ray Mattifier as a primer (although it works well without the mattifier).

I Loved the fact that the foundation can be layered with a concealer brush to mask acne or scars, and it still looks natural and blends right in with the rest of my skin.

The Mineral glow is FANTASTIC! it does not make you look like you've rolled in cheese doritos or you've spent too much time on the jersey shore. I like to use it lightly all over in the summer to provide an enhancement to my "tan", and lightly in the spring/fall/winter to give my face the slightest bit of color. If I'm going for a natural look and I don't feel like putting eye makeup on I will dust it on my eyelids and apply a brown mascara for a "barely there" look.

The marbled blush is nice as well, but I've noticed that if I get a blush that has more of the darker pink tones than the lighter pink in the marbling it can be too dark for my skin, and I have to apply it very lightly.

I really like the chisel brush and haven't had any problems with it shedding at all. I clean my brushes once a month with Sephora brush cleaner, and weekly on a damp towel.

Two things I did not like was the size of the foundation in the starter kit - especially because the Ulta employee showed me the full size compact during the demonstration. I wasn't expecting a travel size. The foundation also ran out much faster than the bronzer or blush - I purchased 2 more full size compacts before the bronzer ran out.

You also have to be careful to use a blush or bronzer brush when applying the bronzer and blush. The chiseled brush seems to pull the foundation off rather than layering the blush and bronzer on top of the foundation.

I would highly recommend this kit to someone who wants to try a mineral foundation. I have been using pur minerals for a year now and I don't think I'll be switching any time soon!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by pepeleru

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am mac nc20, very sensitive combo skin. This stuff is amaaaaazing! Perfect coverage, looks totally natural and doesn't break me out, and is so fast and easy to apply. Doesn't oxidize or turn orange me as BE does. The 'blush' is more of a luminizer and I use it as more of a highight and under my eyes. Bronzer is perfect for my fair skin and again looks totally natural. I would def repurchase but don't think I will use all the products up at the same time so will likely next time just purchase the foundation.