October 1, 2014 | 1844 users online

Treatments (Face) - Neutrogena - Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

I have been using this for 6 yrs or so. I have sensitive skin/oily. This has not irritated my skin but it exfoliates my skin, prevents acne and keeps my wrinkles at bay thanks to BHA. I use this only at night either every night in the summer & every other night in the winter. This works great with a moisturizer as well. This has a light texture that doesn't make your face tight. I highly recommend this. I bought this on line because I can't find this in stores anymore:(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2014 12:57:00 AM More reviews by danielled65

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

HG! I use this every morning and night all over my face even if my skin is mostly clear because it prevent my breakouts I USED to always get. I combine this with my the scrub and facial wash also from the acne stress control collection and my skins looks clear, soft and flawless! My only issue is that I noticed when I stopped using those 3 products my skin broke out even worse than it did before, not much of an issue though since i don't plan to stop purchasing:)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2014 12:55:00 AM More reviews by GinaBina45

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Found this at my local Dollarama for 3 bucks and since it was Neutrogena, I figured "why not?" It smells nice but I didn't really see a change in my skin. It didn't do anything to stop breakouts from occurring and if anything, I broke out even more! I didn't notice any of my acne healing either. But my skin has been softer and I've noticed a lot of blackheads have been reduced.
    Would I repurchase? Probably not. But for 3 bucks, I don't feel as dejected.

Update: I persisted and kept using this product and I'm happier with it! It still doesn't prevent acne for me, but I've noticed that it does help a bit with the breakouts I do have and my face has cleared up and I like to believe that this product helped!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/18/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by adavi0140

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

*12/08/2014 UPDATE* after about a month of not using this product, my skin has remained clear, so I'm figuring out that using or not using this product makes little difference. In addition, I'm realizing that it pills up like a B%TCH. Under everything. It's extremely annoying, and I don't know how i didn't notice before.

One of my HG products and a major contributor in the clearing of my skin. It isn't an overnight miracle worker, at least, it wasn't for me, but over time it drastically improved my skin. It has a very light texture and can be used on its own on my oiler days, but my skin can sometimes lean more to the dry side and I need more moisture than this provides. It feels cool on the skin but doesn't tingle or sting. It does have fragrance, so if that irritates you, I'd avoid this. Thankfully, it doesn't seem to bother me. I will continue to purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by xmikimagoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This has been my go-to acne treatment for about a year now. It is light, doesn't burn or irritate my skin, and works well for how gentle it is. I find that it does not help me with hormonal breakouts, but not much does so I don't find that to be a huge problem. It calms down the redness in my t-zone as well and prevents my skin from getting flaky. It prevents large pimples from popping up and dries out existing pimples within a few days. I do have a gripe about the packaging, though. The product is so runny that I find it tends to leak into the cap and get a little messy. I can live with that since this product is awesome in so many other ways. Definitely worth a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2014 9:31:00 PM More reviews by amandadee97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is essentially a very light, salicylic-acid/BHA based lotion. It is alcohol free and oil free, but not fragrance free, though this doesn't seem to bother me. It is very light and runny, and a greenish colour. It absorbs fast and has a tingly feel, but doesn't seem to irritate my skin. This is my only moisturizer in the morning; at night I apply it under C Serum and another, richer lotion. Overall this has definitely been one of the power players in clearing up my acne, and keeping my skin fresh and bright looking. It doesn't get rid of all my blackheads(sadly!) but it keeps my pores clean and thus appearing much smaller. It is not a hugely expensive product, and for what it does I wouldn't care anyway. I will be repurchasing(have been through three or four tubes already)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2014 6:33:00 AM More reviews by fsmeath

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

i've been buying this for years and love the gentle BHA formula and mild unoffensive scent.

this product seems to disappear from shelves and the neutrogena site, then reappear over the years. it seems to have been discontinued yet again (?), which is a shame and kind of strange, given how highly rated it is. thier newer/alternative products are too heavy and too strongly scented for me. too bad.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

Very happy with the product. It really helps to keep the skin free of spots. I also find it quite gentle of the skin. I didn't experience any tightness or dryness when using it. It does moisturize the skin as it is claiming.
    The product has a greenish color. The texture is gel-like which makes it easily glide on the skin. No oiliness observed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I gave it a 4 cause even though it caused me redness and irritation, I used to love this stuff due to the fact that it was one of the few effective and alcohol free drugstore BHAs. However this is just an FYI in case, like me, you can't seem to find it ANYWHERE: this product has been discontinued in the US! Apparently, it's still being sold in Canada though, so you can probably still get it online...though really, maybe you could just get PCs brand for the same price when you factor in shipping; I dunno...

Another FYI, in case anyone's wondering the only other effective/alcohol-free drugstore BHAs being sold right now in the US (according to Paula b's reviews) are Clean &Clear's Advantage Oil Absorbing Treatment and Clearasil's "Ultra Rapid Action Treatment Lotion." They are both 2% salicylic acid lotions rather than a gel, but I'd say go with the Clearasil one if you have dry sensitive skin (i do and I love it!) or if you have oily skin you might like C&C's version better (apparently it has a powdery finish), though it comes in a 1.5 oz bottle rather than a 4oz bottle like clearasils.... Anyways, unlike neutrogena's 3 in 1 treatment, neither of these have green tea but oddly, my skin is less red and irritated with the Clearasil lotion than it ever was with the Neutrogena gel (though I think the gel worked faster).

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by Dashulya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product on and off for a couple of years. I do not think it keeps my skin clear on its own. However, it works great in combination with benzoyl peroxide (I use persa-gel 10) or moisturizer. This lotion does not strip my skin of moisture, but it does not moisturize either. If my skin is dry, I need to still use a different moisturizer to help that. However, I find that my skin is better when I use this product a couple nights a week than if I do not.