Maybelline Define A Lash

3.3

Ingredients from packaging: Isodecane, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Cera Carnauba Wax, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Water (Agua), Allyl Stearate/VA Copolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Paraffin, Alcohol Denat., Polyvinyl Laurate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Talc, Ethylenediamine/Stearyl Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer, PEG 30 Glyceryl Stearate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, May Contain ( /-):, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I felt like trying an old style mascara that I used to wear a long time ago - 90s or early 2000s. It's been a long time and I have gone through many pricey and gimmicky types of mascara since the simpler days before everything was advertised as the best new thing ever. When I saw that Maybelline still sell this despite putting out 3 or 4 new kinds every year, I bought it. Well, here are my findings.

You can build beautiful long lashes but you need at least three coats. There's no such thing as clumps or flakes. You do have to work to define your lashes, but they are truly defined, and not messy. This produces naturally long and dark looking lashes (even though my lashes are short, sparse, and pale), sort of forties glamour girl style. The first strokes do literally nothing. You have to keep building it up and all of a sudden you get results. This is actually the most like a cake mascara that I have ever found in a wand mascara. There's no fibres or other stuff added to plump up the lashes and cause clumping.

I am not going to contrast it with their other products - I just don't care right now. I don't like most of them, and the ones I do like are not like this at all. I want to praise this one for what it is. It is an alternative to the current style of lash makeup.

I am going to contrast it with the other retro type I bought at the same time: L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black. Both of them have the plastic wand, not the bristly one, but the L'Oreal is skinnier. I like both wands. They seem to give a lot of control to how you put the product on. With L'Oreal, I only needed one coat to see dramatic, black length. Two coats were completely ample for a mile long lashes effect. Sorry to say it flaked slightly off top and bottom immediately, whereas the Maybelline did not. If I had to pick only one I'd pick the Maybelline because of that, but I love both of them. Even though Define-a-Lash takes more coats, you get a beautiful retro result, without flakes. When I say retro I mean the furthest thing from a Kardashian or Katy Perry or Taylor Swift false, furry lash look that you can imagine. Yet it is not a skimpy, natural, no mascara look at all. It's stately, elegant and not in your face.

I will use both of these until they dry up, just because I like this look - no volume, just length and darkening to the lashes. I am so tired of false promises in advertising. With all the hyped up new mascaras that turn out to be a big letdown, it's funny to see these old ones sitting on the shelves. Someone must be buying them or they would have discontinued them long ago. That also made me think, who is buying these and what do they know that I don't? Now I see - beautiful lashes without overdoing it.

Update Feb. 1/16: It made my eyelids itch so it's got some allergen in it. I have to retire it and try it again at a later date. (I am doing a test of one product at a time with nothing on the lids to find something that is non irritating.) It also flakes after a few hours so even if it's completely innocent in causing my eyelids to itch, it's not a great mascara. I lowered the rating to 2 stars.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like to describe this as blah. I almost see it more of a lash tint more than mascara, just meant to darken and define them. Well you may say "that's what it's supposed to do", problem is that it doesn't do it with any actual satisfactory result. A very light darkening, defining, and lengthening. It's perfect if your one of those TRUE people that want makeup to look like your actually not wearing any.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Ugh. What a waste of $8. This does absolutely nothing for my lashes. I've am pretty blessed to have long lashes that are fairly decent in the volume department but this mascara doesn't do anything! It doesn't add any length at all. You're much better off getting jordana's mascara (black and purple tube) - it's half the price and gives me the longest lashes ever

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

my holy grail drugstore mascara. I am absolutely head over heels for this mascara. I've repurchased it three times and I absolutely love it! The formula is really easy to apply to my lashes and it doesn't clump or have a whole heap of fall out. One thing I struggle with mascara is holding a curl as my lashes are so short. This holds the curl on my lashes for so long it's insane. I also love that this last for ages despite being a washable mascara. This mascara just separates and defines each lash and makes them look really curly and defined, the brown colour just goes so well with my eye colour. I love to wear this mascara with some concealer and pink lip gloss, that makeup just really enhances my facial features and I always feel so lovely and confident when I wear that makeup. I think any mascara that gives you such a confidence boost deserves five stars in my books. Will be re-purchasing multiple times.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This mascara lengthens really well, but lacks a little in volumizing. It doesn't really hold a curl either. I won't be repurchasing as I have found other mascaras that do all three!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I hate this mascara. It's so wet, that it can't be built up unless you wait for each coat to dry. But personally, I don't have that kind of patience. If you don't wait for it to dry, they clump and don't lengthen, if you wait for it to dry you end up with crispy lashes (brittle lashes that are full of product.) overall, not what I was looking for at all.

This is my go-to mascara. I used it for almost two years because it is so reliable! Its easy to put on and take off, it makes my lashes voluminous and lasts all day. I had a bit of trouble trying to separate the lashes sometimes but it's very manageable. Definitely repurchase.

The is one of the mascaras I got during my search for replacing the discontinued Shu Uemura Basic. Too much oomp compares to Shu so not what I want. This is similar to NYC skyrise lengthening ( NYC is cheaper but wetter). I am using lash discovery from maybelline right now, which has less oomp compares to this ( but still too much when compares to shu )

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this during a sale at priceline (in australia) just to try out different mascaras. The Define a lash unfortunately didn't work. It melted under my eyes, it makes my nicely curled lashed drop, didn't really lengthen, maybe little bit of thickness to the lashes because of the clumps…. a little sad here :(

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

One of my very first mascara's that i used and it did the job! It definitely "defined my lashes" by lengthening and darkening :)

Popular Mascaras