August 28, 2014 | 919 users online

Eye Shadow - Make Up For Ever - Star Powder Plum with Blue Highlights 955

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2010 3:29:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'Final Consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -

What it Claims:
"Mix it, shade it, contour it! This shimmering, silky powder catches the light and gives the skin a unique glow. It combines an extremely fine yet dense texture. Easy to use and suitable for all skin types, only a small amount is necessary for a visible and fabulous result."

Claims - True or False?
1) Shimmering, silky powder: True.
2) Fine yet dense texture: True.
3) Only small amount is needed: True.

Packaging:
I don't hate the packaging, but I'm not too fond of it either. This shadow comes in a circular jar with a clear plastic packaging. I love that the lid is clear, as it allows you to easily see which shade it is without having to pick it up first. The lid screws on and off nicely, but I find that the sides will easily collect product, meaning it can easily fall out onto your table. Cosmetically elegant, and practically useful.

Consistency:
Sephora's website states that the powder is fine yet dense. I'm not sure what this means, but when compared to all of my other loose shadows, this one does appear heavier. I do often have issues with minor fallout while applying, as well as glitter fallout during the day, which is a minus on the part of this shadow. The shadow is very smooth, and the consistency allows you to create different intensities. It can be sheerly applied for a wash of colour or packed on for full impact. I would say that the glitter is a little too high for my liking - I'd prefer it without glitter actually, and would love this shadow even more if it were simply pearlized. The colour, plum with blue highlights, is quite accurate. I find that the blue can overpower the plum in some lights, but it's a gorgeous effect.

Ease of Use:
Other than minor fallout, I have no issues with use. The powder is silky and smooth, making it very easily to blend and soften at the edges. It comes off with makeup remover without leaving any staining on the lid, and is easily layered with and over other colours. The only difficulty with this shadow would be when applying it to skin that has not been primed first. It is impossible to build this shadow up on bare skin.

Bang for your Buck:
This shadow and others in this line come in at $19.00USD for 2.8g. While it may seem expensive at first, very little is needed when using, so these shadows can last a long time. I've owned this shade for at least a year or longer, and I'm only about a third of the way into it. Definitely well priced for the amount given, even if used daily or almost daily.

Final Consensus:
HG product. A wonderful plum shade with gorgeous blue undertones, this shadow an interesting depth and unique look. A shade that will look gorgeous on most skin tones and against most eye colour and hair colours. Next to my blue eyes, this shadow looks stunning. There are a few things about this prodcut that keep me from rating it a perfect 5, but it is of excellent quality. Highly recommended if you are looking for a fun dark purple.
- Pros: Interesting and pretty shade, long-lasting, doesn't crease or fade, decent packaging, well priced for the amount given, blends beautifully, can be layered nicely, not much is needed.
- Cons: Glitter fallout, does not build up on unprimed skin, the blue can overpower the purple.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by hoverfly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This color is amazing on green eyes. My eyes just leap right off my face when I use this product. It almost looks red on my face but flecks in the light shimmering and sparking with purples and blues. Yet, it seems a very matte base overall, not emphasizing any baby-wrinkles.

A few other brands had similar colors--this is how I end up with all of my products, I find one in another brand that I fall in love with, yet there aren't any left in the store so I search the aisles endlessly (with the help of a brand rep, a sales associate or some other friendly shopper) until I find a match.

I only rated this 4 because the container drives me crazy. All of the product has worked its way up on top of the little separator and "snows" all over my white bathroom counter top each time I open it. If Make Up Forever pressed it, I'd be totally in love doing the 5-brush-rating happy dance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2007 10:31:00 AM More reviews by Arachne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love it! I'm really into Star Powders. I have a nice collection starting and 955 is one of my favorites. It's a very versatile color that really makes my light brown eyes pop. It's beautiful as a soft smokey liner too. Like other MUFE star powders I get the best results when applying with my Stila crease brush. Love the texture, love how easy the star powders are to work with and most of all I love the pigmentation. Awesome, awesome eye shadow.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2007 11:09:00 AM More reviews by keahi

This is one of the new shades on Sephora. I find it very similar to Mac Pigment in Sunpepper. Both are reddish plums with cool reflects. Swatched next to each other on my hand they look nearly identical, though the Star Powder has a much cooler cast with its blue relects. The difference really lies in the texture. Star Powders are amazing--pigment is so dense yet light and silky. Mac has a much stickier, thicker texture--not as finely milled. This star powder creates an amazingly luminous finish--it looks stunning with a cool blue in the inner corners of the eyes. Between this jar and Sunpepper I now have more of this shade than I could use in 3 lifetimes, but I'll be going back for some more Star Powders!